1900 E Higgins Rd
Schaumburg, IL 60173Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tokiopub.com/
- Phone: 8472785181
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 2:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Barbecue, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Naoki Nakashima
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: At Tokio Pub we can accommodate groups of 10 to 150 in our dining room and patio. Lettuce create something extraordinary with you using our variety of Tacos, Sushi & Barbecue! Whether it's a business gathering or social event, we are happy to help you create an event to impress! To view all of the different options available to you visit www.tokiopub.com or call our Private Dining Manager Ruthann Gagnon through Shaw's Crab House.
- Private Party Contact: Ruthann Gagnon 8475172722x18
- Special Events: Join us monthly for great on going and new specials!
A word from Tokio Pub
Tokio Pub specializes in fresh Japanese cooking. East Asian classics are blended with flavors and cooking techniques from Japan and Latin America to create a unique pub menu. Options to start are unforgettable Tacos and specialty Sushi; but the signature Japanese Hot Rock steals the show. Choose from NY Strip and Ahi Tuna to cook table-side, bringing the action to you. For dinner, our 700 degree robata grill fire chars sizzle platters like the Twice Cooked Organic Chicken with yakitori sauce and ramen noodles or the Twisted Tail Lobster served with crispy rice noodles. With lively music, friendly service and edgy atmosphere, Tokio Pub offers the North West Suburbs a new option for lunch, dinner and cocktails. We are located next to Shaw's Crab House in the Streets of Woodfield.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Tokio Pub - Best Restaurants in Schaumburg ›
Tokio Pub reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (30)great for outdoor dining (24)good for groups (22)special occasion (17)neighborhood gem (17)great for lunch (16)great for brunch (10)hot spot (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (7)romantic (5)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Taco Time is always fun!gsssmanVIPDined on 8/15/2014Every so often, Tokio offers all their tacos for $1 each and it's just one big party. It gets crazy in the restaurant, but the service is still top notch. It's great food at a great price with some fun added in. Go experience this event when it happens next; see their Facebook page for details.
- Over & Under whelmingMamaMcDDined on 8/12/2014Overwhelming (loud)energetic music on patio, they sat tables of 6 under the speaker, 3 facing a mirror. Horrible. Overwhelming prices on underwhelming portions. Overwhelming waiter with underwhelming appearances at our table. Very slow, he was serving inside and outside/patio the restaurant. He took away the bowl with 2 edamame in it and I said to put it back. Overwhelming climb to the bathrooms, what if you are semi-unable to climb that many? My husband has had surgery in the past.Special Features:
- Once again...VacaVIPDined on 8/12/2014This place has always been great and the food is simply delicious.Special Features:
- Delicious sushi & excellent servicerudieVIPDined on 8/8/2014Delicious sushi rolls and excellent service! Our waitress was very friendly and helpful. Great beers on draft. Fun atmosphere and a great place to have dinner with friends.Special Features:
- Dinner with the ladiesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Great place for a fun, delicious dinner out with the ladies. It's great because you can order multiple things to share. We had sushi and meats on hot stones. Cute ambiance too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- date nightcmacDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I took our first date night here after having our first child, and I think we found our new favorite spot. Alice, our server made the experience even better by being very fun and attentive. We tried as many menu items as we could,tapas style. Seared tuna on the hot rocks was fun and very tasty. Nacho tacos, amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charlieVIPDined on 7/18/2014The maki rolls were absolutely wonderful, as was the steak cooked on the hot rocks. However, the best part of the whole experience was the service of our waiter, Roy. He was attentive and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Are you kidding?JavaheadDined on 7/12/2014Probably one of the worst meals we've had in the last 5 years. Nachos were a great starter. Portions were very small (2 bite tacos and Tokio Pub Burger). Great nachos. Server was very good. Food was incredibly salty, very heavy handed on garlic and stayed with us for what felt like 2 days. Maybe a good choice for a drink and appetizer (again nachos were excellent but it went downhill quickly). The Tokio Pub Burger was a waygu patty smothered between two "fried patties of noodles" in place of a conventional bun. For $11 a terible choice. If we went again we would stop at nachos, another appetizer and drinks. Overall a big disappointment especially after having read some on-line reviews including Open Table and Yelp.Special Features:
- Amazing anniversary dinnermrandmrs7602Dined on 7/5/2014Absolutely fantastic dinner! The food was delicious - we really enjoyed all of the appetizers we shared, and thought the experience of cooking on our own hot rocks was great. Loved the crispy rice - a very unique and delicious twist on sushi. Service was phenomenal too - Alice, our server, took very good care of us throughout the night. She was personable, knowledgeable and attentive - great job! We have already recommended Tokio Pub to several others, and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30th anniversary at Tokio PubEsmereldaDined on 7/1/2014We wanted to get out of the city and have a low key celebration of out 30th. Being LEYE groupies of sorts, I have wanted to try Tokio Pub since it opened and this seemed the perfect opportunity. The service was excellent...provided by a lovely, up-beat server. All but one dish was excellent. We had a raucously spicy tuna roll that was superb, among many other spot-on delights. However, I would recommend staying away from the 'crispy rice' offerings. Whatever they are going for, they totally missed the mark. Looking forward to going back the next time we are in the way-burbs.Special Features:
- Great Place!FoodieDined on 6/28/2014We loved our experience at Tokio Pub. It is a nice environment for couples/friends/families (small kids are okay and appreciated there!). Not terribly busy, food is great. Service is nice too. Great service and attention from the staff. Can't wait to go back. We had the hot rock appetizers and highly recommend that, as well as the sushi.Special Features:
- Not so hot rockseaterDined on 6/28/2014If cooking on a hot rock is your thing you need to keep the hot rocks coming. Wait staff were nowhere to be found...
- Businerss/Social dinnerSteveDined on 6/24/2014excellent choices of food - spent the evening "grazing" the menu with another couple. Occasion was part-social, part business - a little noisy for serious business discussion, especially for early on a Tuesday evening, but that wouldn't stop us from returning (the four of us had been here before). Very fairly priced, as the four of us had several cocktails, two bottles of wine, split a couple of entrees and tried 5 or 6 appetizers, along with some dessert o bill was under $200 before tip. Our server was attentive, but occasionally forgetful, but no big deal. We will continue to return to Tokio Pub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great American Asian FoodgsssmanVIPDined on 6/23/2014We had a great time at Tokio Pub sitting at the bar with our expert bartender Alice. Drinks were tasty and the food delicious as always. Menu items change fairly regularly and are always new and exciting. Of particular note is the new Tuna Flatbread appetizer that is light and cool for the summer. Thank you for another great meal and stellar service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good....GoBearsVIPDined on 6/22/2014The food here was excellent. Unfortunately everything else was lacking. The waitress didn't know anything about the brunch menu, and didn't try to get help for our questions. We kept running out of drinks/water and had to track her down. Which was really bad since we found out the patio either had a broken heater, or acts like a natural oven. It felt great outside, but the patio was roasting. We weren't warned prior to sitting , and the manager on duty didn't seem to care. Some of this would be understandable if they were busy. We were the only table there for most of our meal.Special Features:
- OkayD2nluvDined on 6/21/2014It was an okay experience. I liked the shrimp and lobster crispy rice. The hot rock skirt steak appetizer was fun, but had just an okay taste. I honestly liked the mustard sauce better than the meat. I tried the chicken and waffles-- the waffle was good, but the chicken didn't have flavor. My fiancée had the crispy glazed pork belly and loved it. Some dishes were better than others. Don't bother spending your money on dessert; it's nothing special. I didn't try the tacos and I will go back when they are a dollar. Otherwise, it's a good place to check out of you're curious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take advantage of Taco TimeMccloud122VIPDined on 6/19/2014Aside from the Taco Time event, which is a great deal if you haven't tried it, it has great food, great drink menu, and desserts. The Asian flare of food is a favorite. The service was attentive and made the efforts to please. I would go back to try other items on the menu.Special Features:
- pleasant experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014couple of girlfriends and i celebrated my friend's birthday. the service was decent and accommodating of the cake we brought. we had the hot stone entree, volcano roll, and some tacos with some drinks. the patio seating area was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderdeliversletseatDined on 5/30/2014We went to this restaurant based on 4 star previous reviews and its unique menu. We were very disappointed. We were seated next to the dish unloading station which was very noisy. The servers did not know very much about the food, and couldn't provide any meaningful feedback. We ordered several of their specialty rolls, of which, the rainbow lime roll was the best. We also ordered 5 of the specialty tacos which were soft corn tortillas stuffed with different proteins; the flavors were overwhelmed by the shells. The greens in our salad were very bitter and inedible. Lastly we orders the "hot rocks" cook yourself dishes, tuna and steak, hard to eat and small portions. Overall, overpriced, small portions, fair food, good for the bar.Special Features:
- could have been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014We are not thrilled with the new menu as some of our favorite items (the rice bowls) were taken off of the menu. Service at this restaurant is usually quite slow. During our visit a new server was in training and spilled a couple of drinks on my friend. She was fine, but nothing was done about it until she requested to see a manager. We felt that someone should have come over sooner to offer something for multiple drinks being spilled on a customer, a desert or drink on the house would have sufficed. The manager was rude and insulting when she should have been apologetic; finally she comped the bill $5 (the balance after using a gift card) and said she would send something. A simple apology and a complimentary item would have been welcome.Special Features:
- DisappointingSMAgolferVIPDined on 5/26/2014The best way to describe the food is oily and bland. Very disappointing, given that its part of the Lettuce Entertain you chain.
- Fun nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014Sat on patio had a great time with my wife. Good food relaxed atmosphereI would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls' Night OutQuirkSpongeDined on 5/23/2014Staff was understanding with our tardiness due to parking issues. But as we got to our table, there was a 20min wait when no one attended to us: no water, no menus, nothing. We resorted to asking the waitress attending the table next to us who our waitress is. She was apologetic and took it upon herself to handle our table, as well. Other than that little mishap, our dining experience was pleasant. The venue served our needs for Girls' Night Out favorably with delicious sushi, drinks, and a good atmosphere for catching up with one another. Furthermore, the waitress gave us free dessert for the confusion on having not serviced us right away. Overall, a nice place for a dinner date or conversations with friends.Special Features:
- Good FoodFredyDined on 5/22/2014Sushi was very good. Service was also good. Nice experience
- Date night at Tokio PubOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/17/2014My experiences at Tokio Pub have always been good, but this one was the best. The patio atmosphere was perfect for a Saturday evening - especially people on a date. We ate and talked for hours and enjoyed every minute of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodjlpjlpDined on 5/10/2014Both the bbq pork nachos and Ramen burger are phenomenal. The food came quickly without feeling rushed, so we were still able to make a movie after a relaxing dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 293 reviews are from the Tokio Pub reviews archive.
- Quiet Late LunchEeekDined on 5/5/2014I've been to Tokio Pub numerous times each time it was packed with people with/without the $1 Taco special. I went on May 5th for the all day $1 special during the late lunch time, there was NO ONE THERE. Not even waitresses. The bartender took our order and everything. The food was fine as usual except the shrimp tempura roll. There was something eek about it that my friend and I couldn't put our finger on (didn't help that the kitchen staff were too lazy to cut the massive leftover seaweed at ends.) The restaurant used to have a lot more collection of taco flavors. Should bring that back!Special Features:
- Dispatch7Dined on 5/3/2014Good and interesting food. The sushi and pork nachos were great. The hot rocks are passable.Special Features:
- Excellent and UniqueTastyDined on 5/2/2014A very unique place. It's their take on a Tokyo style pub and it's attached right to the fancy Shaw's Crabhouse. Great traditional and modern style maki rolls, hot rock meals where you cook your meat right on the hot rock and tons of awesome creative appetizers and very creative drinks that utilize Asian flavors. Good sake choices as well. I tried dessert for the first time. It's called the coconut bao. If all desserts here are as delicious as that one then this place is pure gold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waste the money or timeFoodWiseVIPDined on 4/27/2014Either they're trying to hard or not hard enough. They're a sushi/fusion/ramen place with not enough options in any category. The sushi was so so but we got one of each of their tacos, the meat & tortillas were all cold and bland. Their ramen was ridiculously salty, take it from people that have been to japan and love ramen and sushi... Skip it and save the money and go to a real sushi or ramen joint.
- Great Time!BrianDined on 4/21/2014We celebrated our 11-year old's birthday at Tokio Pub - her choice! We love the variety of sushi (yes, she eats sushi) and the options for non-sushi eaters (wife and other kids). The hot rocks are a big hit as are the desserts! Since this review, the wife and I have already returned for lunch by ourselves! Bar selections are plentiful and the service is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tokio Pub - menu changedFoodie1001Dined on 4/16/2014I have been to Tokio Pub several times. I first went to Tokio Pub based on a Facebook posting from a friend. After my initial visit, I have brought other friends to Tokio Pub on different visits and they loved it and brought other friends on their own visits. I went recently and it seems that the menu has changed and I was not impressed this visit as I usually have been. I do not know why, if it is just the change in menu. I think it will be a while before I return.
- Solid dining experienceClawerDined on 4/11/2014I have visited Tokio Pub twice, and while the concept of an Asian pub is unusual, the execution is exceptional. I have been very satisfied with all the menu items I have tried. The menu is relatively small but varied, and is certainly unique. If you're willing to think outside the box and try something new, it's certainly worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love this place.LMartinDined on 4/10/2014Great food and atmosphere. Can't go wrong with the tacos. Love the fact they are always adding new drinks to the menu and trying something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Japanese fusion experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/7/2014Fantastic selection of specialty drinks, which are on special for only $5 every Monday. This restaurant is a great find and unique in its fusion of Japanese Latin food. Must have: Wagyu beef burger with ramen noodles as a bun. This is not your average sushi joint. Tokio Pub is fun and definitely stands apart from the countless other Japanese cuisine restaurants in Chicagoland. Conveniently located in the Streets of Woodfield area.Special Features:
- Fun SurpriseKennyVIPDined on 4/3/2014Great grilling your filet strips on a hot rock at your table, excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Want to try something new?TokioPUB!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014I really enjoyed this place! Huge variety in the menu to appease any customer. This can be intimidating, but our waiter happily recommended the Volcano Roll, Godzilla Roll, & the steaks that you make at your own table! You read that right. Small steaks you make on hot rocks at your own table. Very unique. Atmosphere was great. Awesome place to take a date, or go out with a small group of friends. I highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at bestchicagobossDined on 3/22/2014The food is average at best. Nothing to scream about. It is a surprise for being a Lettuce Entertainment Restaurant
- Excellent Reversal - Great Food!vegasweekendVIPDined on 3/22/2014More than six months ago, my family and I had a negative experience at Tokio Pub, predominantly due to less than acceptable service and a mixed experience with the food quality and flavor. I am extremely happy to report that upon a second try, everything is tremendously improved. We wanted for nothing from our server, who was knowledgeable, focused on our satisfaction, and extremely pleasant. Additionally, we tried several things from the menu, and nothing disappointed. Everything was extremely flavorful and creative. Everybody in our party loved everything they tried. I am confident that we will be back again, and I would recommend Tokio Pub to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placeGjs64VIPDined on 3/22/2014Food is very good, but won't blow you away. Everything was well prepared and very tasty. Sushi was good, but not on par with a high quality sushi restaurant. The hot rock entrees are fun, but it's kind ad gimicky. Rocks get cold quick so make sure you request a new rock right away or you probably won't be able to finish cooking your meal without an mid meal break. All in all a good experience and I would probably go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.