1 East 15th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tocquevillerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2126471515
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:45am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Sunday Dinner 5pm-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Marco A Moreira
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Extravagant cocktails, special celebrations, wine pairing tasting dinners 8 - 800.
A word from Tocqueville
Since 2000 Tocqueville Restaurant has been serving innovative American cuisine to its loyal clientele. You will find the most seasonal local ingredients scattered throughout the menu during every season. The hospitable staff and comfortable décor make this an excellent spot for special occasions and neighborhood dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Tocqueville - Best Restaurants in Union Square ›
Tocqueville reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (87)special occasion (83)romantic (81)notable wine list (51)neighborhood gem (50)great for lunch (27)good for groups (11)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- WowedPalmtreesDined on 10/18/2014This was my second time here. I was more blown away than the last time which is usually not the case. Everything was perfec: service, food, drinks, wine pairing. We got the the five course tasting menus and it was just stellar. It rivaled The best in the city. I will be back perhaps for lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LClydeDined on 10/17/2014Very good cuisine served to perfection by a very accomplished staff in a lovely dining room. Expensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacking in atmosphereAslanDined on 10/14/2014Chose this restaurant based on all the good reviews posted. Unfortunately experience did not come up to expectations. Food was interesting but lacking in substance and flavour. Service was acceptable.Special Features:
- ExcellentObe1Dined on 10/10/2014The food was excellent especially the uni with pasta and butter lobster, the dessert roasted peaches was a bit disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply outstandingWineandfoodVIPDined on 10/9/2014Why have I never been to this restaurant before? Have heard about but never managed to get there. What a mistake. An outstanding dining experience in every way. Made to feel welcome from the moment we walked in. Outstanding, friendly and immensely talented bartender. Service perfect yet unassuming. Food as good as any of the so-called temples. Do not miss the grits or the uni pasta. Both better than any similar dishes I've had elsewhere. A sommelier who works with you to find great value bottles that expand your horizons. When was the last time you had a great bottle of wine from Georgia...no, not the Georgia in the American south. Truly a great night. Will be back soon to make up for lost time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbBrownMapleLeafsDined on 10/7/2014We celebrated our 25th anniversary at Tocqueville and the evening was superb. Make sure you start by discussing the wines with Roger, the Sommelier. He is great and really knows his stuff! Ask about the Canadian wine on the lis...it is a gem. Food was great. The duck breast has an amazing au jus and the scallops have a generous serving of foie gras. Make sure your start with sea urchin pasta. For desert, try the assortment of gelato is very good,...especially the red currant one. We also had a Champagne region based desert wine that was very special at are. Can't go wrong here...Special Features:
- What a blessed lunch findScotingDined on 10/6/2014This proved to be an outstanding venue for a special occasion weekday lunch. It would of course also be excellent for a business lunch. The decor was inviting and very comfortable. The food was outstanding. The scallops were particularly good. The wines by the glass list was carefully selected and the Pinot noir was excellent. This is an expensive restaurant my budget won't permit me to visit often. But I highly recommend it and also feel that I have been to other expensive establishments providing less value for money. The calm (but not sleepy) atmosphere was so welcome in a city overrun with restaurants intent on being trendy places seemingly *requiring* an overabundance of hard surfaces, loud music, and cacophonous chatter.Special Features:
- Delicious and elegantGregDined on 10/4/2014We must try the tastings menu next time as the flavors from out appetizers and main courses simply made us want to experience more. The service was impeccable and the room elegant with tables nicely spaced. The wine list is terrific and the recomendation was a perfect match with dinner. It is nice to have an intimate conversation in a beautiful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st rateheretohelpDined on 9/29/2014Outstanding service, from greeting through end of excellent dinner, including entire service team. May not be as "hip and happening" as other top end restaurants, but glad didn't need to reserve months in advance. Certainly deserves rating as one of NYC's finest. We're looking forward to return visit.Special Features:
- Not impressed with head waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Very nice and elegant restaurant. The food was delicious. The only complaint I have is the way the head waiter came off 'snotty' even by New York standards. You would of thought asking questions about the menu was absurd and after we finished dessert we sat there for a very long time trying to get his attention to get our check. We did not feel very welcome.Special Features:
- DeweyDined on 9/26/2014Excellent service and food was very interstiting and right on the money. Great experience can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Union Square Fine DiningPhiWDined on 9/25/2014This restaurant never fails to please. This establishment should be reserved for special occasions as well as when one wishes enjoy fine dining, excellent service, and a unusual quiet ambience.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/19/2014This was a perfect meal and evening. We did the tasting with wine pairings. Every course was excellent, the service from hostess to waiter to sommelier was wonderful. I rank it among the best "splurge" dinners I've ever had.Special Features:
- LivetodineinNYCDined on 9/13/2014Everything was superb. The staff was very professional without being snobby. Pricey but worth the splurge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurantFaceandsubtleVIPDined on 9/11/2014We love this restaurant for its civilized atmosphere and delicious food. We return whenever we are in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJaysonDined on 9/11/2014Had a great dining experience. Sampled the tasting menu with wine parings and had a great evening. Service, ambience, and food has always been impressive.Special Features:
- A rare find in ManhattanNycseattleVIPDined on 9/10/2014A quiet restaurant with well spaced tables professional discreet service and superb food. If you are looking for a scene don't come. If you want a perfect evening for grown ups do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Experiencease1707VIPDined on 9/9/2014Dining at Tocqueville is a wonderful experience. My wife and I enjoyed a relaxed dinner last evening with wonderful food and excellent service in a wonderfully romantic setting. Although pricey, the dinner was well worth the expense. This is a restaurant that exceeds the expectations that any dinner would have at any of New York's high-end restaurants. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent business lunch spotBizlunchDined on 9/8/2014Quiet, tasteful dining room, food is reliable if mainstream for Manhattan, service excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014This was my second time at Tocqueville - once for lunch and once for dinner. It does not disappoint! Everything on the menu is excellent and we didn't have a single complaint or problem.Special Features:
- Special occasion placeHillymdVIPDined on 9/6/2014Romantic (we were there for an anniversary, perfect place), elegant but not at all pretentious, great food (we had the scallops and lobster), attentive service. Not a "scene" place, but that's ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeRenaVIPDined on 9/5/2014Superb service, unbelievable food, keep going back! Had one of the best anniversary dinners to date! Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food lacklusterFoodieVIPDined on 8/28/2014What beautiful, warm, quiet & serene surroundings. But what a disappointment in the food. We ordered 2 appetizers, one main course and split a desert. Only one appetizer, the risotto, was flavorful, and it required additional salt & pepper. Even the desert was so so.Special Features:
- Excellent overallOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/27/2014Looking forward to returning. The standard of service and food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A paradoxExtremensDined on 8/23/2014First, we had dinner and were so impressed we brought our children back for next day's brunch. And, while the dinner was spectacular in terms of food and service, the brunch was a dismal failure with adequate service but a very different level of food. The odd thing is we ordered roast duck on both occasions, but the lunch version was overly sweet and my son could not finish the portion, while the dinner version was sublime. Instead of impressing my children the brunch event painted my wife and me out of touch with food! My wife and I would return for dinner but not for brunch. My kids? Never.Special Features:
- Delicious French restaurant!lovetoeatVIPDined on 8/22/2014We tried the 5-course tasting menu, which was more like 7 courses with the amuse bouches. Our waiter asked for our food likes and dislikes and created our unique dinners. We were not disappointed. Every course was delicious and creative. Attractive dining room, attentive service without being fussy or formal, and no silly coat and tie requirement. Excellent experience.Special Features:
- excellent all-aroundfinediningDined on 8/22/2014food excellent. wine pairing superb. atmosphere made one feel cosseted...lovely service, attention perfect.but not pushy or pretentiousSpecial Features:
- A Treat and Treasure!DaisieDined on 8/19/2014Delicious food, great service, creative menu and a quiet dining experience. I love Tocqueville!Special Features:
- Fantastic for FoodiesTheKitchenSpyVIPDined on 8/15/2014There was nothing I would not have again and again. Everything was superb. Flavorful. Perfectly prepared, interesting and magnificently presented. The service was smart and gracious. Professional and at ease with their work. BThe room is romantic in a contemporary way. It's hard to find a kitchen in New York that can put out meals like this ... and that's saying an awful lot. I eat out often and the only restaurant that comes close is Mas (Farmhouse) for this level of exceptional American haut cuisine. Yes... there are bigger names out there. No... they don't surpass Tocqueville. That's how great it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014This place is incredible. Aside from the food, the staff is uber attentive and accommodating. The atmosphere is probably best for for couples as it is a small space with small, intimate tables. For appetizers, we order oysters and the cheesy grits. It felt odd that grits were on a menu such as this, but all questions melted away as we are that dish. I don't know how else to describe it aside from incredible. I had the seared scallops and foie gras for dinner, and they were the best scallops I've ever had. I could eat that over and over again. All around great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very ImpressiveBB510VIPDined on 8/14/2014I met a potential client for lunch at Tocqueville. It was our first meeting and I recommended the restaurant not knowing he was a frequent diner there. The service was fantastic. The meal was excellent. We ordered from the prix fix menu. I had the asparagus soup, the hake and the sorbet. Everything from the bread to the espresso was perfect. I scored big points with my prospective client. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming all aroundRCKipDined on 8/6/2014Never disappoints, meals are simply amazing!! Portions are just right and presentation devineSpecial Features:
- Amazing placegordo1950Dined on 8/2/2014Extraordinary food, impeccable service, unforgettable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Woefully UNDERRATEDwakawakawakaVIPDined on 8/1/2014Absolutely fantastic meal from beginning to end. We opted for the 5 course tasting menu and thought they had given us the 7 course meal by accident because we had so much food and little extras. Everything was delicious and the price was very reasonable for the amount of food and the quality of food. I'm not sure how this place does not have one Michelin star, and the fact that it does not makes me seriously question the Michelin ratings, when I compare it to single-star Michelins I've tried. I'm not sure why this restaurant is so underrated, but I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Lovely birthday dinner celebrationFufunyDined on 8/1/2014The service from every staff member was superb. They were very attentive but not intrusive. Answered all of our questions about the food and various tasting menus. The staff was very accommodating when someone from my party showed up super late and not quite appropriately dressed for dinner. They were still very gracious and welcoming. We decided against the tasting menus and ordered a la carte. All of the appetizers we shared were delicious, as were all of the entrees and desserts. Our waiter also gave the birthday girl a 5-scoop variety gelato dish as a birthday surprise. She left very happy with our choice of restaurant. I would highly recommend this restaurant for couples out for a romantic dinner date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usual ExcellencemarkDined on 7/31/2014I expect the best at Tocqueville and find those expectations surpassed each time I go there. My guests feel the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Place..VeryhappydinerDined on 7/30/2014A nice surprise to find this restaurant where one can have a conversation, tables are not too close to each other and the food & service were impeccable... We will definitely return soon!Special Features:
- great evening.finediningDined on 7/30/2014This is my new favorite New York City restaurant. Everything was top-notchSpecial Features:
- This is where grownups go!wmw322VIPDined on 7/28/2014Wonderful, gracious, sophisticated, hospitable, culinary excellence, generosity, super attentive, unintrusive service, quiet elegance, broad menu, top grades for every level of dining excellence. Not your usual get 'Em in, push 'Em out experience. This restaurant is truly top of the line, grownup dining at it's very best with No pretentious airs or attitudes. 2 people with drinks and dessert $151.00+ tip. I've had hambugers that cost more. How do they do it? Will be back often .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experience overallSouthy1978VIPDined on 7/24/2014Perhaps it was an off night, but we experienced mediocre food and terrible service (maybe the chef and waiter were both having a bad day ?). Word of warning if you are looking for a special occasion, stay away from this restaurant. We ordered the sea urchin carbonara (tasty, but after the first few bites, the pasta and sauce are quite overbearing with an excess of butter and cream, two ingredients I usually love), grits (ok, but nothing special given that the waiter said it was one of the house specials), diver scallops (scallops were well prepared, but the accompanying sauce was way too sweet and overbearing), guienea hen (hen was overcooked/dry)Special Features: