1 East 15th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tocquevillerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2126471515
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:45am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Sunday Dinner 5pm-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Marco A Moreira
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Extravagant cocktails, special celebrations, wine pairing tasting dinners 8 - 800.
A word from Tocqueville
Since 2000 Tocqueville Restaurant has been serving innovative American cuisine to its loyal clientele. You will find the most seasonal local ingredients scattered throughout the menu during every season. The hospitable staff and comfortable décor make this an excellent spot for special occasions and neighborhood dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Tocqueville - Best Restaurants in Union Square ›
Tocqueville reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (93)fit for foodies (89)romantic (89)notable wine list (56)neighborhood gem (47)great for lunch (25)good for groups (11)great for brunch (8)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- A paradoxExtremensDined on 8/23/2014First, we had dinner and were so impressed we brought our children back for next day's brunch. And, while the dinner was spectacular in terms of food and service, the brunch was a dismal failure with adequate service but a very different level of food. The odd thing is we ordered roast duck on both occasions, but the lunch version was overly sweet and my son could not finish the portion, while the dinner version was sublime. Instead of impressing my children the brunch event painted my wife and me out of touch with food! My wife and I would return for dinner but not for brunch. My kids? Never.Special Features:
- Delicious French restaurant!lovetoeatVIPDined on 8/22/2014We tried the 5-course tasting menu, which was more like 7 courses with the amuse bouches. Our waiter asked for our food likes and dislikes and created our unique dinners. We were not disappointed. Every course was delicious and creative. Attractive dining room, attentive service without being fussy or formal, and no silly coat and tie requirement. Excellent experience.Special Features:
- excellent all-aroundfinediningDined on 8/22/2014food excellent. wine pairing superb. atmosphere made one feel cosseted...lovely service, attention perfect.but not pushy or pretentiousSpecial Features:
- A Treat and Treasure!DaisieDined on 8/19/2014Delicious food, great service, creative menu and a quiet dining experience. I love Tocqueville!Special Features:
- Fantastic for FoodiesTheKitchenSpyVIPDined on 8/15/2014There was nothing I would not have again and again. Everything was superb. Flavorful. Perfectly prepared, interesting and magnificently presented. The service was smart and gracious. Professional and at ease with their work. BThe room is romantic in a contemporary way. It's hard to find a kitchen in New York that can put out meals like this ... and that's saying an awful lot. I eat out often and the only restaurant that comes close is Mas (Farmhouse) for this level of exceptional American haut cuisine. Yes... there are bigger names out there. No... they don't surpass Tocqueville. That's how great it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014This place is incredible. Aside from the food, the staff is uber attentive and accommodating. The atmosphere is probably best for for couples as it is a small space with small, intimate tables. For appetizers, we order oysters and the cheesy grits. It felt odd that grits were on a menu such as this, but all questions melted away as we are that dish. I don't know how else to describe it aside from incredible. I had the seared scallops and foie gras for dinner, and they were the best scallops I've ever had. I could eat that over and over again. All around great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very ImpressiveBB510Dined on 8/14/2014I met a potential client for lunch at Tocqueville. It was our first meeting and I recommended the restaurant not knowing he was a frequent diner there. The service was fantastic. The meal was excellent. We ordered from the prix fix menu. I had the asparagus soup, the hake and the sorbet. Everything from the bread to the espresso was perfect. I scored big points with my prospective client. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming all aroundRCKipDined on 8/6/2014Never disappoints, meals are simply amazing!! Portions are just right and presentation devineSpecial Features:
- Amazing placegordo1950Dined on 8/2/2014Extraordinary food, impeccable service, unforgettable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Woefully UNDERRATEDwakawakawakaVIPDined on 8/1/2014Absolutely fantastic meal from beginning to end. We opted for the 5 course tasting menu and thought they had given us the 7 course meal by accident because we had so much food and little extras. Everything was delicious and the price was very reasonable for the amount of food and the quality of food. I'm not sure how this place does not have one Michelin star, and the fact that it does not makes me seriously question the Michelin ratings, when I compare it to single-star Michelins I've tried. I'm not sure why this restaurant is so underrated, but I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Lovely birthday dinner celebrationFufunyDined on 8/1/2014The service from every staff member was superb. They were very attentive but not intrusive. Answered all of our questions about the food and various tasting menus. The staff was very accommodating when someone from my party showed up super late and not quite appropriately dressed for dinner. They were still very gracious and welcoming. We decided against the tasting menus and ordered a la carte. All of the appetizers we shared were delicious, as were all of the entrees and desserts. Our waiter also gave the birthday girl a 5-scoop variety gelato dish as a birthday surprise. She left very happy with our choice of restaurant. I would highly recommend this restaurant for couples out for a romantic dinner date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usual ExcellencemarkDined on 7/31/2014I expect the best at Tocqueville and find those expectations surpassed each time I go there. My guests feel the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Place..VeryhappydinerDined on 7/30/2014A nice surprise to find this restaurant where one can have a conversation, tables are not too close to each other and the food & service were impeccable... We will definitely return soon!Special Features:
- great evening.finediningDined on 7/30/2014This is my new favorite New York City restaurant. Everything was top-notchSpecial Features:
- This is where grownups go!wmw322VIPDined on 7/28/2014Wonderful, gracious, sophisticated, hospitable, culinary excellence, generosity, super attentive, unintrusive service, quiet elegance, broad menu, top grades for every level of dining excellence. Not your usual get 'Em in, push 'Em out experience. This restaurant is truly top of the line, grownup dining at it's very best with No pretentious airs or attitudes. 2 people with drinks and dessert $151.00+ tip. I've had hambugers that cost more. How do they do it? Will be back often .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experience overallSouthy1978VIPDined on 7/24/2014Perhaps it was an off night, but we experienced mediocre food and terrible service (maybe the chef and waiter were both having a bad day ?). Word of warning if you are looking for a special occasion, stay away from this restaurant. We ordered the sea urchin carbonara (tasty, but after the first few bites, the pasta and sauce are quite overbearing with an excess of butter and cream, two ingredients I usually love), grits (ok, but nothing special given that the waiter said it was one of the house specials), diver scallops (scallops were well prepared, but the accompanying sauce was way too sweet and overbearing), guienea hen (hen was overcooked/dry)Special Features:
- SuperbAdam186Dined on 7/24/2014What can we say? A delightful experience. Delicate sauces, inventive dishes, attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Plain Fabulous5timefanVIPDined on 7/22/2014Food, service, décor...all were superlative and understated-elegant. In the upper-most category of NYC restaurants in every way. Creative sauces with just the right sparkle from super-fresh herbs and spices. Especially loved the chilled asparagus soup with crème fraiche panna cotta. A few extra-credit features: Staff completely down-to-earth...not a single whiff of stuffiness. Room filled with positive energy, yet able to have a private conversation. Decorated with such good taste I took photos for ideas for my own renovation project. It is fit for a special occasion, but it would be a shame to wait for that.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceSamboRambo2Dined on 7/21/2014Hard to find anything to complain about at our recent dining experience at Tocqueville. We got the 7-course tasting menu, and the dishes ranged from very good to fantastic. The service was also terrific, and even though we had a late reservation and were the last ones in the restaurant for quite some time, we never felt rushed. It was closer to the opposite -- it almost felt like we'd rented out the entire restaurant to ourselves. Overall, an absolutely wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Fine Dining Should Be....claireyVIPDined on 7/21/2014Tocqueville never disappoints! You can count on a delicious meal anytime you go. And there are special holiday menus throughout the year for celebrants. Diners should be clamoring to get in to this elegant, fine dining establishment. Take your honey and go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WastingfoodisasinVIPDined on 7/19/2014It was the first time to try lunch prix fixe menu. Picked asparagus soup, hake and chocolate cake with wine pairing. The decoration and presentation of the soup was wonderful as well as its taste. Hake was juicy and moist, but seasoning was blunt, unfortunately. Dessert wine select was a perfect much to the chocolate. Great deal absolutely it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Democracy in America"VanderMataramDined on 7/17/2014I've been to this place several times before with several friends in the past. But not until last week I realize how utterly impeccable this restaurant was, in every aspect. This is a perfect restsurant for either couples or family of 6-8 with well-behaved teens. We chosed this restaurant to congratulate our nephew who just won an essay on "Democracy in America" by Tocqueville. If only our democracy can be this good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner and Good ServiceMinnieRVIPDined on 7/10/2014We brought my mom here for her birthday. It's a nice and comfortable dining room. We all wanted different dishes so we ordered a la carte. All the appetizers, entrees and desserts were presented artfully and tasted good. The foie gras and scallops were good but a little salty. We really liked the grilled octopus, urchin carbonara and the cheese puffs! My mom just wanted a scoop of ice cream for dessert...the staff gave her a plate with several colorful scoops and a birthday greeting. She was happy. She also liked the cute petit fours. The servers were all nice. We will be back.Special Features:
- Another superb mealjonbDined on 7/2/2014Whenever we go to NYC we plan to have at least one dinner at Toqueville. It was again outstanding Wednesday night, with wonderful food, attentive service, and a quiet atmosphere allowing us to talk easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service Great FoodJustafoodieVIPDined on 7/2/2014The food is great but non-smiling waiters are appetizer turn off. There is no welcome, no check up after the meal bought to our table. No wonder the whole restaurant is nearly empty. Such a shame the chef's effort of making tasty food got total wasted because of bad service!Special Features:
- Perfect anniversary dinner...LuvTopFoodDined on 7/1/2014We celebrate anniversaries at top restaurants; from Daniel to Le Bernardin, to Bouley... We decided this year to try Tocqueville and were rewarded with a perfect dinner... The food, ambience, and service could not be better...Special Features:
- lovely eveningKenwuVIPDined on 6/28/2014As usual we enjoyed the dinner very much. However the service was not as attentive as when Daniel (Dino) was present.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food nasty serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014It'striking how a $450 meal at a beautiful restaurant with good food and wine can be ruined by one angry man supervising and terrorizing the dining room staff and customers.We were warmly greeted and welcomed by lovely people, immediately impressed with the beautiful facility. Then an arrogant and imperious dining room manager arrives scowling at us. We felt like he just hated us until we saw how he treated the other tables and the other staff.Every other person was wonderful the food was delicious albeit a bit pricey but this one man spoiled it for us.
- Great foodtabechanDined on 6/28/2014Delicious French in NYC - hake entree was comparable to top Michelin-star restaurants. Well presented, executed perfectly with a crispy skin, delicious cauliflower and other roasted vegetables. Sauce paired well (if not a bit too sweet). Unfortunately the amuse bouche (radish 2 ways) was very uninspiring. The bread basket was also very average (although you do get to choose among sourdough, brioche, and foccaccia). One negative is the service of one waiter. I asked what the trio of seasonal sorbet would be in order to decide whether I wanted the chocolate dessert or the sorbet as my choice for prix fixe and he said very rudely that I wouldn't be able to choose anyway, and refused to tell me the flavors or even bother inquiring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnifique!TimmyeatsDined on 6/27/2014Prix Fixe is the way to go honestly for lunch. The options are all great, me and my friend ordered opposite things to taste them all. It was great, and the wine pairing wasgreat. Great wines at a crazy affordable price. Great service and even better food. It started with the maître d being very kind and accommodating until the last second when we were escorted to the bathroom. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyNYCdiner10010VIPDined on 6/26/2014This was my first time at the restaurant, and couldn't have been more impressed. The food was sublime, and the service first rate. The sommelier helped us find a bottle of wine at the low end of their list that was excellent. The low noise level was very conducive to conversation. I was surprised it wasn't busier, even for a weekday evening, as it is far better than many of the more famous restaurants in the neighborhood. It's not inexpensive, but I've spent more for inferior dining. Look forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itDanFVIPDined on 6/23/2014From the greeting at the door to the personalized attention, the whole evening was perfect. Can't wait to try Marco's other places. DFSpecial Features:
- Nostalgia refreshed.LagrandeboucheDined on 6/21/2014Not only was the cuisine inventive (without being pretentious) and always à point, the sommelier did a great job picking just the right wine for every course. The only minus was a too pronounced tendency towards sweetness in various courses which reminded me of classic French restaurants in the 70s. Nevertheless, all produce was of highest quality and every course a pleasant surprise. The subtlety of the cuisine, rarely found in NYC, has European standard, though on the conservative side. Outstanding dishes were lamb loin with green peas and morels, paired with a light, yet spicy 1997 Médoc; and sea urchin pasta with sea lettuces paired with a superb Les Crêtes Valle d’Aosta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid performanceLivingston314VIPDined on 6/20/2014Service was good, food good, ambience good. Solid performance- not a show stopper.Special Features:
- Classic old-school diningdrfloyd21Dined on 6/20/2014One of the negative reviews stated "it was like dining in a hotel" - perfect! This is great, classic old-school dining in a beautiful space. The food was fresh and delicious - very good. Fully price but not out of wack w/ nicer restaurants in Manhattan - and we had great service and a lovely evening - relaxing and civilized. There is a great bar that never seems to be crowed - allow a few mins to catch a cocktail there first. I wish there were more restaurants in NYC like this...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FindRenieDined on 6/19/2014Six of us had a late lunch on a Thursday afternoon. Since it was our first time, the waiter was happy to explain each menu item. The food was amazing! The service outstanding! From appetizers to desert, there were no complaints. The diver scallops and foie gras was my favorite. Can't wait for a return visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TocqevilleTonyVIPDined on 6/14/2014off the beaten path, but worth the trip. Some unusually dishes, parmesan grits with smoked bacon for example. Very good modern french food in a beautiful setting. Our table for 2 was too close to the next table and I was directly facing the people, seemed awkward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicely Prepared But...GeofferwokVIPDined on 6/14/2014Uninteresting and unimaginative cuisine. Our evening also suffered from a dour, humourless waiter in a stuffy setting reminiscent of an upscale hotel dining room. All in all: Not worth it.
- Delish!LucyDined on 6/13/2014Every bite was perfect- from the appetizer to dessert! The service was warm and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/11/2014One of the most comfortable restaurants I've ever been to. The service is gracious and attentive. The sommelier is knowledgeable and passionate. And of course, the food is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.