1 East 15th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tocquevillerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 647-1515
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:45am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Sunday Dinner 5pm-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Marco A Moreira
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Extravagant cocktails, special celebrations, wine pairing tasting dinners 8 - 800.
A word from Tocqueville
Since 2000 Tocqueville Restaurant has been serving innovative American cuisine to its loyal clientele. You will find the most seasonal local ingredients scattered throughout the menu during every season. The hospitable staff and comfortable décor make this an excellent spot for special occasions and neighborhood dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Tocqueville - Best Restaurants in Union Square ›
Tocqueville reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (88)special occasion (85)romantic (74)notable wine list (46)neighborhood gem (43)great for lunch (25)good for groups (10)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- One of NYC's bestCynthiaDined on 11/22/2014We had the chef's tasting menu paired with a wine course and we could not have been happier. Each course was a culinary treat and the wines amplified each bite, from the sea urchin to the truffles to the foie gras. Highly recommend for a romantic night out (ask for a cozy table in the corner).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYCPrixFixeFanVIPDined on 11/22/2014Always a great place to celebrate Saturday. :-) Consistent service, consistent food, consistent employees, and a good value prix fixe. Looking forward to the next chance to go there...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/20/2014We came here to celebrate our anniversary and were not disappointed. The food was great and the service was remarkable. Excellent attention to detail and perfect timing and flow of service. We had the oysters, mushroom risotto and yellowtail sashimi to start. The risotto was a real standout and the sashimi was delicate and perfect balance of complimentary flavors. For our main course we had the red snapper and sirloin. Red snapper was delicious and light. The sirloin was perfectly cooked and tender. Overall a great meal. We decided to skip to desert but were surprised with a chocolate mousse wishing us a happy anniversary. It was a really nice touch. Highly recommend Tocqueville to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worthy of all the (well-earned) accolades!JonBDined on 11/20/2014Everything was fantastic from the incredible food to the friendly, courteous, professional service, to the extensive wine selection complete with passionate, enthusiastic, and incredibly knowledgeable sommelier. I went in with high expectations for this to be a contender for top ten dining experiences in New York (if not all time), and it, without question, delivered. Many thanks to the staff from front to back, and to the sommelier, for all their help in making this a dining experience worthy of all the (well-earned) accolades!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place for occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/15/2014I had a wonderful time over the weekend. It was perfect from service, food and ambiance. I will definitely come back again. Thank you for a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing RestaurantAbidurDined on 11/14/2014This was my first 4 star dining experience. It really was something incredible. There was not a moment that we were waiting. The staff was as courteous as could be, always making sure that everything is right. Since my friend and I don't drink alcohol, we can not comment on their spirited beverages. As for the food... let's just say it was relentlessly flavorful. Every part of my plate was steeped in flavor. For appetizer, we had Matsutake Mushroom Risotto. To be perfectly honest, that was my favorite part of the entire meal. The Risotto was so smooth, creamy, and an absolute delight. That isn't to say that the entree wasn't amazing. I ordered the Butter Poached Lobster and my friend ordered the Steamed American Red Snapper. I literally have nothing bad to say about them. If I could pick out every good adjective to describe the food, I would. Unfortunately I'm not good at describing how food tastes, so I will just say that it was really amazing. For desert, I had their Napolean. It was actually a decent portion and it, too, was quite fantastic. This is a really nice restaurant, great decor, great service, and just an overall amazing experience. It's a bit pricey, but it's not so ridiculous that it's prohibitive. I would definitely recommend anyone to go here, especially for those special occasions. All in all, A+ for Tocqueville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special Restaurant for a Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014Excellent restaurant to celebrate a major birthday. We mentioned that it was a birthday celebration and dessert came with "Happy Birthday" in beautiful calligraphy. What great attention to detail. The servers were knowledgable and capable. They perfectly matched the degree of interaction we initiated, so the restaurant did not feel at all "stuffy" or "overly formal". All the food was delicious, and the cheddar salad, smoked duck and chocolate soufflé were particularly outstanding. We arrived at 7:30 pm and I was amazed that it was past 11 pm when we left. I was having such a good time I did not realize so much time had passed, and we were not rushed out at all. My only complaint would be that the noise level is a bit high, especially when the space is full. But most restaurants in Manhattan are equally loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CretiakidoffDined on 11/11/2014My favorite restaurant in all of New York because it is beautiful and quiet and French. I love the fois gras and the lovely truffled grits and the flavoring of a tiny marigold! The brioche is delicious ! Extra desserts were presented . I loved my Cabernet by the glass. I felt like a was visiting a living room/ dining room of a Queen. Being able to hear each other was a blessing! A beautiful experience! I admonished my husband he didn't tip enough so I'll have to come back and give them their due!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014Expensive for mediocre food and slow service. Would never go there again.
- Lovely lunchGrantVIPDined on 11/8/2014We've eaten at Toqueville with a small group of business associates several times for dinner, and my wife and I decided to have lunch. It was a Saturday and we arrived at noon, so we could catch a flight home that afternoon. The room did not fill up, so the atmosphere was really nice and quiet. The service was grand as usual. The food was excellent. We hope to return again soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014Excellent food and service. Convenient location. Friendly staff and management, very knd, polite, nice and accommodating to every request.Special Features:
- MangiarbeneDined on 11/4/2014A lovely restaurant with excellent food. If there was music I didn't hear it. The atmosphere was quiet. Tables aren't scrunched together. It is expensive but perfect for s special occasion or for people who can afford it. I will certainly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-ratedcamedorDined on 11/1/2014I felt that the restaurant was over-rated in every way. The food was not tasteful at all, we ordered lobster and it was dry and flavorless, I can't even remember what we had for appetizers and ordered some drinks that were as flavorless and intrascendental as the rest of our meal. The salon is not fancy as stated by some reviews. It is painted in a dull pink with nothing that catches your eye and as stated in other review, a lightbulb on the unimpressive chandelier was still not working. I have eaten better in any chain restaurant or pizza corner in NYC. I was expecting something rich in flavors without being overly spiced and condimented as usually is the french cuisine but was sadly disappointed.
- very dissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/1/2014came here for my husbands birthday. i alerted the restaurant ahead of time (twice) that i was vegetarian and allergic to dairy. when i spoke to the waiter he said he would get the chef's opinion on the best options. he came back and recommended fish, not once, not twice, but 3 times. when he finally confirmed the vegetarian tofu entree was dairy free i ordered that. was really really gross- very salty broth with a slab of what appeared to be raw bland tofu (non marinated, not cooked). took 45 minutes to get appetizers and over 1.5 hrs for entrees. considering the price of this place so not going back
- Rather disappointingthisisweirdVIPDined on 11/1/2014The food was good, but nothing stood out as memorable or worth the price tag. The 'secret' spin on the tasting menu was mis-leading. There is no secret to it. The chef just chose to cook some of the a la carte dishes. Perhaps he tries to copy Eleven Madison, but it was poorly executed. The sommelier was very nice, which was about the only good thing as far as service is concerned. The main guy running the ground floor was the worst of all. When we reminded him that we had been waiting for 30 min between the 4th and 5th dishes, he said you should have told me earlier, it's Saturday night everyone is ordering the tasting menu... Uhh, it's your problem to manage the kitchen on a busy night, not your customers' job to manage you!
- The best!487TDined on 10/28/2014I love everything about Tocqueville! The place is beautiful, the food is outstanding and the service can not be better. It is always a great dining experienceSpecial Features:
- A New York Gemase1707VIPDined on 10/27/2014Dining at Tocqueville is always a treat and last evening proved to be no different. This is a very sophisticated restaurant that serves very fine food in a beautiful setting. The service is professional and yet it is done with a warm sense of humor. The dishes that we enjoyed last evening were the sea scallops with foie gras and the pan roasted sea trout. Both dishes were creative and delicious, and the sauces were amazing and complemented each dish perfectly. This is a very pretty space ... the serene atmosphere can be enjoyed for a business dinner or for a special occasion. We cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and innovativeFoodieFiendDined on 10/25/2014This is the place to go for beautifully presented, thoughtfully crafted and delciously prepared food. Everything was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have Michelin starscafebarbaDined on 10/25/2014Tocqueville consistently delivers exceptional creative food with impeccable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a bargainmatocaDined on 10/25/2014My friend and I ordered the prix fixe lunch. The food was amazing, the portions were filling, and the service was impeccable. We also ordered cocktails, which were very strong.Special Features:
- A classic luxury restaurantRoestiDined on 10/21/2014Our group of six had a completely satisfying birthday splurge here. The food was excellent -- some are still raving about the sun-choke soup, scallops with wild mushrooms, and other dishes. The service was attentive but never overbearing. And we could all hear each other because the tables are generously spaced, and the ceiling is high. This is a luxury restaurant of the old school -- perhaps not right for the younger set but perfect for anybody over 50 wanting a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowedPalmtreesDined on 10/18/2014This was my second time here. I was more blown away than the last time which is usually not the case. Everything was perfec: service, food, drinks, wine pairing. We got the the five course tasting menus and it was just stellar. It rivaled The best in the city. I will be back perhaps for lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LClydeDined on 10/17/2014Very good cuisine served to perfection by a very accomplished staff in a lovely dining room. Expensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacking in atmosphereAslanDined on 10/14/2014Chose this restaurant based on all the good reviews posted. Unfortunately experience did not come up to expectations. Food was interesting but lacking in substance and flavour. Service was acceptable.Special Features:
- ExcellentObe1Dined on 10/10/2014The food was excellent especially the uni with pasta and butter lobster, the dessert roasted peaches was a bit disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply outstandingWineandfoodVIPDined on 10/9/2014Why have I never been to this restaurant before? Have heard about but never managed to get there. What a mistake. An outstanding dining experience in every way. Made to feel welcome from the moment we walked in. Outstanding, friendly and immensely talented bartender. Service perfect yet unassuming. Food as good as any of the so-called temples. Do not miss the grits or the uni pasta. Both better than any similar dishes I've had elsewhere. A sommelier who works with you to find great value bottles that expand your horizons. When was the last time you had a great bottle of wine from Georgia...no, not the Georgia in the American south. Truly a great night. Will be back soon to make up for lost time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbBrownMapleLeafsDined on 10/7/2014We celebrated our 25th anniversary at Tocqueville and the evening was superb. Make sure you start by discussing the wines with Roger, the Sommelier. He is great and really knows his stuff! Ask about the Canadian wine on the lis...it is a gem. Food was great. The duck breast has an amazing au jus and the scallops have a generous serving of foie gras. Make sure your start with sea urchin pasta. For desert, try the assortment of gelato is very good,...especially the red currant one. We also had a Champagne region based desert wine that was very special at are. Can't go wrong here...Special Features:
- What a blessed lunch findScotingDined on 10/6/2014This proved to be an outstanding venue for a special occasion weekday lunch. It would of course also be excellent for a business lunch. The decor was inviting and very comfortable. The food was outstanding. The scallops were particularly good. The wines by the glass list was carefully selected and the Pinot noir was excellent. This is an expensive restaurant my budget won't permit me to visit often. But I highly recommend it and also feel that I have been to other expensive establishments providing less value for money. The calm (but not sleepy) atmosphere was so welcome in a city overrun with restaurants intent on being trendy places seemingly *requiring* an overabundance of hard surfaces, loud music, and cacophonous chatter.Special Features:
- Delicious and elegantGregDined on 10/4/2014We must try the tastings menu next time as the flavors from out appetizers and main courses simply made us want to experience more. The service was impeccable and the room elegant with tables nicely spaced. The wine list is terrific and the recomendation was a perfect match with dinner. It is nice to have an intimate conversation in a beautiful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but...EmilyVIPDined on 10/4/2014We got the tasting menu, and I think every dish was something I've been served there before. I'd suggest branching out a bit for a tasting menu -- some of us are semi-regulars, and would like to try new things! Were it not for that, I'd have given 5 stars across the board.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st rateheretohelpDined on 9/29/2014Outstanding service, from greeting through end of excellent dinner, including entire service team. May not be as "hip and happening" as other top end restaurants, but glad didn't need to reserve months in advance. Certainly deserves rating as one of NYC's finest. We're looking forward to return visit.Special Features:
- Not impressed with head waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Very nice and elegant restaurant. The food was delicious. The only complaint I have is the way the head waiter came off 'snotty' even by New York standards. You would of thought asking questions about the menu was absurd and after we finished dessert we sat there for a very long time trying to get his attention to get our check. We did not feel very welcome.Special Features:
- DeweyDined on 9/26/2014Excellent service and food was very interstiting and right on the money. Great experience can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Union Square Fine DiningPhiWDined on 9/25/2014This restaurant never fails to please. This establishment should be reserved for special occasions as well as when one wishes enjoy fine dining, excellent service, and a unusual quiet ambience.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/19/2014This was a perfect meal and evening. We did the tasting with wine pairings. Every course was excellent, the service from hostess to waiter to sommelier was wonderful. I rank it among the best "splurge" dinners I've ever had.Special Features:
- LivetodineinNYCDined on 9/13/2014Everything was superb. The staff was very professional without being snobby. Pricey but worth the splurge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurantFaceandsubtleVIPDined on 9/11/2014We love this restaurant for its civilized atmosphere and delicious food. We return whenever we are in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJaysonDined on 9/11/2014Had a great dining experience. Sampled the tasting menu with wine parings and had a great evening. Service, ambience, and food has always been impressive.Special Features:
- A rare find in ManhattanNycseattleVIPDined on 9/10/2014A quiet restaurant with well spaced tables professional discreet service and superb food. If you are looking for a scene don't come. If you want a perfect evening for grown ups do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Experiencease1707VIPDined on 9/9/2014Dining at Tocqueville is a wonderful experience. My wife and I enjoyed a relaxed dinner last evening with wonderful food and excellent service in a wonderfully romantic setting. Although pricey, the dinner was well worth the expense. This is a restaurant that exceeds the expectations that any dinner would have at any of New York's high-end restaurants. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.