Tocco Pizza e Arte
1266 N. Milwaukee
Chicago, IL 60622Neighborhood:
Bucktown / Wicker Park
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Tocco Pizza e Arte
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 773-687-8895
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday to Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Bruno Abate
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Tocco Pizza e Arte
The couple behind Follia built this chic, modern Italian spot in Wicker Park. Two wood-burning ovens churn out pizzas like the classic margherita plus there's a wine friendly menu of appetizers, homemade pasta and more. Expect selections such as tortelli in a truffle cream sauce, risotto of the day, fresh fish and steak.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tocco Pizza e Arte reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)great for outdoor dining (25)fit for foodies (20)romantic (13)special occasion (13)notable wine list (11)good for groups (11)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Secret GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/30/2014Just like being in Italy. Authentic Italian food, nuanced preparation and flavor. The personable owner Bruno knows his stuff and has a nearly perfect restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014our favorite for authentic Italian in the city. Bueno Bruno!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014This place was extremely authentic and I certainly appreciate that. From the wine selection, to the way they make their bread to the style in which they cook their pasta. If you want a truly Italian dining experience (and not Italian-American style), this is the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delizioso!adsoDined on 8/23/2014This is some of the most delicious food you will find. Preparations are simple, and natural flavors are allowed to blossom. We shared the antipasto rustico; the meats and cheeses melted in the mouth, and the grilled and marinated vegetables were succulent. Following came the special dish of vitello tonnato (veal covered in tuna sauce with capers,) one of my favorites. It was delicious! My friends had the rack of lamb and the lasagna, both simply done and perfect. I wish we'd had time for dessert, but we had a show to catch. Can't wait to return and eat more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian in the CityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014Hands down some of the best Italian food you will find in the city. Too many restaurants try to be something they are not. Tocco has the right equation based on the food, service, quality, and price. I feel as though they really deliver on what consumers value in a dining experience. The food is authentic, well thought thru, well executed, and very fresh. The prices are very reasonable considering the high quality ingredients that are utilized, and the portion size is just right. The service has been very good both times I have been.Special Features:
- Truly an Italian GEM!!smjksVIPDined on 8/8/2014This is a must visit Italian establishment that offers authentic, elegant, and old world preparation along with presentations extraordinaire, all in a Milanese environment that is truly approachable and unforgettable!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014Poor service, rushed at first, then ignored, entrees arrived not together. Hard to overlook this. And the place was not full
- I love this place.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/25/2014It is consistently great food and excellent service. The restaurateur is unique in that he always stops by the table welcoming you! Never seems really busy so I hope they can keep it open because it's one of my favorite places! I for one am going to bring more friends there!Special Features:
- Great spot!DiningcoupleDined on 6/21/2014Went here in a group of 6 and had a great dinner. The service and food was amazing and I'd recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The worst service we have ever hadOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014Our dining experience at Tocca was the worst service ever at any restaurant we have ever been to. It was slow from start to finish. Our friends ate their main courses while our arrived 25 minutes later with no explanation. It took an hour to take our order. The food was good but there are too many options in Chicago to ever return there.Special Features:
- What a great find!eek14Dined on 6/6/2014Food was true Italian prepared with care. It was great sitting inside by the large open window that faced the outdoor sitting area. Gnocchi, pizza and pasta were wonderful. Calamari was the best we ever had and we were with people who travel everywhere. Bruno imports his ingredients and it shows in the quality of the food. It almost felt like Italy as we sat surrounded by Italian-speaking diners. And the ambiance and decor in the restaurant was like being in another world when you walk in the door.Special Features:
- Last time hereTuliDined on 5/17/2014This was my 4th time dining at Tocco. The food as usual was good. The thin pizza crust is amazing. However despite our reservation we were seated after 30 minutes. After another 20 with just water and Bread we were asked if we wanted to order drinks! That set the tone of the evening. Several large parties ensured that we were ignored. It was an embarrassing experience as we had taken our friends who were visiting here to what we called an amazing pizza restaurant. I'm never going back.
- Bruno AbateRondoVIPDined on 5/17/2014Bruno is a wonderful host and chef with the finest Italian food in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 312 reviews are from the Tocco Pizza e Arte reviews archive.
- True Italian RestaurantMilanistaDined on 4/30/2014I am a huge fan of Tocco Pizza e Arte. I love everything about this place. Bruno, thank you for bringing a spirit of Italy to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not goodSpoulaDined on 4/26/2014Don't waste your time when there's a million better choices in the neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- Love Tocco!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/20/2014Tocco is amazing all around. One of the best fine Italian restaurants I've found in the city. I am so excited that they are starting to do brunch. We attended the first weekend, so I am really excited to see what new brunch items they start adding to the menu. Chef Bruno is amazing and you feel like part of his family the moment you enter his restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific mealHungryChicagoanDined on 4/17/2014A hidden gem. Food was amazing. Bruno is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great serviceMS4862VIPDined on 4/10/2014Everyone was very friendly, and our waitress was great. The food was amazing! Good place for a date or group of friends looking for great food and cool atmosphere. I would def recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencedeliciousflavorDined on 3/22/2014Was craving carbonara and heard from a friend that Tocco had a great one and she wasn't lying. Perfectly cooked spaghetti noodles, savory pancetta and well tempered eggs throughout the dish. Owner or manager (older gentleman) made sure we were well taken care of and satisfied. Great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Passed this place a TON ofOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014Passed this place a TON of times - I thought it was a vacant building. Turns out that they just don't open until 5pm. Truly a hidden gem. Must mention: Impeccable service - on all levels, really. The ambience is ultra romantic. And they have the most amazing, homemade, crushed red pepper. (I know that sounds weird..but- you'll understand once you try it!) Cannot wait to come back!Special Features:
- Great menu and decorCHIguyVIPDined on 2/28/2014First time and it will not be last. The menu looked really good with offerings in pizza, pasta, fish, and hefty appetizers. We loved the decor of the dining room and bar/lounge; and cannot wait to return for more. Tried beef carpaccio salad for an appetizer that was on special for the evening, followed by a pizza. The two portions were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chic Italian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/27/2014One of the best Italian restaurants in the city! The decor is very modern and chic and the homemade pasta is to die for!Special Features:
- Fabulousmsgjkg88VIPDined on 2/22/2014We love this place! Fabulous, authentic pastas! Always have great specials. Service is excellent. Plus they have this huge screen with a continuous loop of shots of Italy. If you've ever been to Italy, you will find it very entertaining (or distracting)! Very modern feel in dining room. Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and really goodgkj517Dined on 2/15/2014Great food and really good service! The cheese sauce on the gnocchi was especially good.Special Features:
- Amazing pasta but gets crowdedFoodieDined on 2/14/2014Lovely, light dishes but beware if you come during prime dinner hours, you could be waiting a while to get seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly Authentic cibo d'ItaliaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014The food is very authentic at Tocco. Bruno is excellent, making food and wine suggestions. A lot of fun. The hostess is VERY off putting and not welcoming, in the least bit. We had a very sweet, energetic waitress. However, there was one other waitress and another woman walking around (not sure what her title was) who looked as though if you gave them $100 to smile and act as if they were interested at all in being present, that they would turn you down. Very, VERY off putting. For these reasons, it is likely that we would not make an effort to get back to Tocco. There is something about the ambiance that is very cold. If you don't care about anything but the excellence of the food, by all means go. It is very delicious.Special Features:
- A little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014My girlfriend and I were excited to try a new restaurant for valentines day. Boy were we disappointed! Not much to choose from on the menu and when you get it the portions are way to small for the price. The server was very nice and attentive. At one point they had someone from the kitchen to around with oysters to sample for a price. Together we make very good money and I do believe because of our age we were overlooked. He never came to our table yet went to everyone else's. We will never come back and never ever recommend this place. Horrible experience. If you're looking for sample sized food you came to the right place if you're looking for an actual Italian meal don't come here!!!!
- Hip without being HipsterNoFoamFoodieDined on 2/1/2014It's sometimes easy to forget about Bruno's place because it's off the beaten path. But the food is always fantastic and puts a lot of hipster restaurants to shame. No undercooked, over sauced, under-seasoned food with 10 different elements that seem like they came out of Chopped-basket. It's not about pig cheek and pig ear, and blah blah blah. Here, the burrata is beyond compare - makes Balena's burrata seem store bought. The pizza crust, thin but not matza-thin. The wine list well currated and not overpriced. The desserts actually satisfy your sweet tooth. Definitely worth trying and if you haven't been there in a while, worth going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply FantasticKT14Dined on 1/18/2014I have never been disappointed after eating at Tocco. We went to celebrate a college graduation and birthday with a party of 5 and Mila was so amazing that my dad tipped her 30%! If you know my dad, this would leave you in complete shock, but even he was that impressed! She was extremely helpful and honest with her suggestions and did everything with a genuine smile. I also like the round tables as it's easier to engage in conversation with the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticamoreDined on 1/4/2014We went the Saturday night that it started snowing AGAIN so the restaurant was on the quiet side but did not lack for diners. The service was attentive and the food was authentic Italian which is sometimes hard to find. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, sophisticatedBmomDined on 12/29/2013Great food, sophisticated decor and service. Welcoming. Guests are usually greeted personally by the owner. Very gracious.Special Features:
- ExcellentbarryVIPDined on 12/27/2013If you are looking for authentic Italian food, this is the place to go. The owner Bruno went around to each table to make sure everything was OK. Portions are Italian sized not American, the pasta is flavored by the sauce and not drowned in it like so many restaurants. We didn't have one of the pizzas but they did look good. Tiramisu was home made and very good. Interesting wine list from different regions of Italy.Special Features:
- A real gem!ScribblerVIPDined on 12/19/2013We dined at Tocca Pizza e Arte Thursday night before seeing a play at The Den Theatre down the street. The decor is sharp and intriguing (although the bar stools, while striking, are uncomfortable and seemingly made for children), and the food and service were impeccable. I liked that the portions were very reasonable, as you would find in Europe; no one had to take anything home but no one left hungry, either. We all had pasta, not pizza. I was puzzled by how quiet it was for a Thursday night, however. I hope others take the time to discover it. Prices were very reasonable, too. We had a fine dining experience and highly recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodcbaselDined on 12/10/2013We just had dinner at Tocco and loved it. Fantastic food and service. It was very quiet on a Tuesday night and we had great personal attention, good pizzas, nice traditional pastas, and a great steak dish. Would return in the summer for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bruno comes through againOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/23/2013Went here with my wife, and my sister and her boyfriend. Had the fried calamri appetizer, which is always a home run. Perfectly crispy and seasoned. I had the rack of lamb....outstanding. The boyfriend had the lasagna, and both my wife and sister each had pasta...best pasta in the city. And Bruno (the owner-chef) is an absolute character...right out of The Sopranos. This place is an absolute neighborhood gem. I've been here about 10 times, and it's always fantastic. I should keep it the best kept secret in the city so that it doesn't get too crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tocco mostly very goodbgk810Dined on 10/26/2013We had an excellent margherita pizza, excellent pasta with pork ragu, and very good risotto, but the aglio e olio was terrible. The garlic was overcooked to the point where the burnt flavors overwhelmed the dish. Wine by the glass was decent, not great, with healthy sized pours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be more...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2013The food was tasty but the portions are WAY too small for the price. Both my wife and I had entrees that were like the size of tapas. Italian "tapas" would've been fine if we had known that going in (like they tell you at RPM) or if it had been less pricey.Special Features:
- Fine Italian Fare in Wicker ParkrhrenVIPDined on 10/19/2013Tocco has never failed to please. They don't try to do everything under the sun, but each choice is particularly good. The service is attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- what a suprise!ChrisPVIPDined on 10/11/2013We loved it! Such a surprise, I had never even heard of this place, so didn't expect it to be outstanding in every way! Felt like we were actually in Italy. Italian servers, host and very gregarious owner.Special Features:
- Relaxing and enjoyable eveningBarbaraDined on 10/5/2013Took daughter out for dinner as we were visiting her in Chicago and had a wonderful relaxing and enjoyable meal in the comfortable and chic Tocco. It was not too busy but had a lively and warm crowd. Easy to find, park and dinner was delightful. We shared several plates of fresh and tasty offerings; truly Italian. Our server could not have been more charming and gracious. Overall, a lovely dining experience. Would strongly recommend Tocco.Special Features: