Toast kitchen & wine bar
5102 Baum Blvd
Pittsburgh, PA 15224Neighborhood:
Wine BarPrice: $30 and under
Toast kitchen & wine bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.toastpittsburgh.com/
- Phone: 4122242579x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Chet Garland with chef de cuisine Mark Samson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Toast! kitchen & wine bar offers full service catering for parties large or small. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Paul Tebbets 412-224-2579x
- Cross Street: Morewood
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: On street parking is available at meters on Baum Blvd in front of the restaurant Monday thru Friday begining at 6:00pm and at any time on Saturday. If you are arriving before 6:00pm please park at meter spots on Morewood Avenue or Cypress Street.
A word from Toast kitchen & wine bar
Toast! is welcoming and has an understated look. Open for Lunch and dinner, the bar is a great spot for conversation. Appetizers include the very popular shrimp and grits; entrées span from roasted chicken to braised tofu to antelope. The menu also features a selection of pizzas and sandwiches and is diverse enough to please every diner, and it includes a wine-pairing suggestion for each dish. In addition, all Champagnes and wines are available in 2-ounce, 4-ounce and 8-ounce pours, allowing you to taste as many as you wish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Toast kitchen & wine bar - Best Restaurants in Shadyside ›
Toast kitchen & wine bar reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (30)notable wine list (28)special occasion (25)romantic (24)good for groups (7)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good ValuejuanjoDined on 9/19/2014Great atmosphere. The drinks, including the short but high quality wine list, are really good. We ordered an excellent roasted chicken and an average pasta dish. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Do not go here!Nec50Dined on 9/13/2014I took my girlfriend here hoping for a special date night. We knew there was something up with the restaurant when we walked in and were the only people there on a Saturday evening. The wine list was not extensive at all and the sangria that I ordered was completely tasteless. We got baked Brie as an appetizer and it came with one slice of bread that was burnt. We didn't even bother to order an entree and asked for our check and left.Special Features:
- RegularDined on 9/12/2014Good overall experience. We both had the pork porterhouse, which came with lovely habenero grits and a wonderful apple jus. Perfect for fall. Cocktails were good too! We sat upstairs and would have preferred downstairs. Not enough people upstairs [on a Friday], and we couldnt help but hear the conversation at the table next to ours. Mediocre but friendly service [e.g. took too long to get our drinks to go with dishes so we were drinkless for a bit]. Still, overall recommended. I find that Toast is a good value for the food compared to other restaurants of its quality.
- eatandenjoyVIPDined on 9/2/2014I used to go to this restaurant regularly. Toast formerly was a gem, but the menu now is not particularly interesting. The dishes we had (roasted chicken, and the fettuccini with crab, shrimp and sausage) were ok, but nothing to recommend. The bar is still very good, but with so many excellent restaurants in the area, I'll skip Toast.
- Toast restaurantPittsburghdinerDined on 8/28/2014This was my first time at the restaurant. I went with a friend and we had the same food--onion bisque and the hanger steak plate. Both were very good with a nice presentation. I also had a tasty chardonnay. We parked on street since there is no lot. We parked over a block away but had no problems. Service was good once we had a regular server. We encountered three different people taking orders.Special Features:
- FabulousArtemis8945Dined on 8/25/2014We had a variety of food 2 small plates, a flat bread and an entrée. The baked brie was delicious. We had the risotto entrée. ..it was creamy with a touch of fresh with peaches and arugula. I hope I can make it again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable EveningJayDeeVIPDined on 8/22/2014A former "Pittsbugher" was back in town visiting and wanted to try one of our new favorite places. So we took him to Toast and had an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Yummy and uniqueHeddaEatsDaFoodzDined on 8/15/2014We had a Groupon, food was unique and delicious, we sat upstairs, service could have been a little quicker, but we realized there was only one server in charge of the upstairs, aside from that the server was really knowledgable and friendly, once the area cleared out a little she was able to chat with us, we will definitely return, the beef brisket flat bread was amazing, the mystery wine special at the bar was funSpecial Features:
- Awesome food, clarification neededSam1234Dined on 8/14/2014We had a wonderful time at Toast, as the food, wine and environment is quite lovely. For our first visit to the restaurant we used a Groupon to see if we would like it. Unfortunately, we were not made clear that if we ordered anything on the Thursday night tasting menu that it invalidated our Groupon for the entire check. The manager promised to honor our Groupon at another date (since it expired that night), but it would have been nice to understand this issue prior to ordering. We very much appreciate this gesture; the misunderstanding simply made for an uncomfortable billing process.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Toast! to adequacy!JamesBondJrDined on 8/14/2014I've been to Toast! several times in the past for special events, and these were always great. When I came in with my Groupon, though, the food was really just okay. For $19/plate, I really expected more from the roasted chicken. The sweet potato falafel was next to impossible to eat (pick up with hands? Use fork and knife on cracker-thin, crispy flatbread?), heavy-handed, and merely adequate. I didn't have any wine this time, but I do admit that my experience would have been enhanced if I'd had a glass. The cornbread was very corny and not at all interesting--it was the sort of thing that anyone with an oven could whip up. Service was extremely good despite the food. An adequate time was had by all.Special Features:
- Maple11GGgroupDined on 8/8/2014Dinner was delicious! Appetizers were especially good.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014Food was an eclectic mix of items; we liked everything we tried. The summer garden salad, Pablano stuffed peppers and flatbread were all outstanding. I would probably try a different small plate - the brie was okay, nothing special. The hostesses were friendly and inviting, the wait staff was attentive.Special Features:
- Not Vegan FriendlyNatalieDined on 8/1/2014The service and ambiance were very good. My husband (who is a vegetarian) had a pizza and thought it was delicious. As a vegan, there was literally not even one entree for me. I ended up getting the falafal without the yogurt. It was extremely dry. I know this is because I didn't have the yogurt, but something should have supplemented the dish. I understand this is not a restaurant that caters to vegans, but they could have at least one entree or be more accommodating, like most other restaurants are. I would come back if they improved the menu for vegans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotGerberDined on 7/30/2014My husband and I often select Toast! as a casual place for a nice glass of wine and meal. We like that it is unpretentious but the food is good and the wine list is interesting.Special Features:
- Delightful dining experienceweeatDined on 7/30/2014This was my second time dining here. The menu selections vary frequently and are always creative and delicious. Service is very attentive, perfectly paced. I think our server had a number of tables, yet we never felt neglected or hovered upon. Wine selection great, and 1/2 price bottle night a great draw!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a bite!FineDiningSearcherVIPDined on 7/29/2014Loved the shrimp and grits as an appetizer, and we both enjoyed the burgers - - perfectly done. Service was efficient and selections were adequate. Only downside is parking, unless you are a pedestrian!! Give it a try; you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014I went there with a groupon. The ad made it seem as if there were multiple selections of burgers, which is what the groupon was for. However this was not the case. We were able to get an small plate and cheeseburgers. We chose the duck which was ok, the sourdough bread was good. The wine the waitress suggested was very good, it was a Riesling and my boyfriends mojo risin' was good. Our burgers were just burgers, nothing special. Except that they were way too greasy for such a nice looking restaurant. It was disappointing.Special Features:
- Bad food and bad serviceNothappy1VIPDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I planned on having a nice dinner. We like to order our small plates first, the waiter took our order and never brought us plates for those, then asked if we were going to order entrees in a non pleasing tone. He never reviewed the menu or offered the chef tasting. He never collected the menus or checked on our entrees, which like the appetizers were awful.Special Features:
- Excellent menuLilaDined on 7/25/2014The spinach salad was excellent, as was the shrimp and grits. Service was very good and we appreciate that they have stairs to negotiate.Special Features:
- Something has changed.WahooVIPDined on 7/24/2014The dinner menu was very good when I ate here a month ago. When we arrived for lunch we were the only people in the restaurant and the lunch menu was greatly reduced in variety and quality. While the waiter tried hard, the placed seemed to have lost its way. Someone was mopping the floor in the empty restaurant while we were trying to eat. Not enjoyable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot - will come againOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/23/2014Tried Toast for the first time the other night for date night. I've never been, but heard good things. Started w/ the beef brisket appetizer. The beef was great (moist & tender) and the green beans & corn (off of the cob) paired well. It was just on the small side - tough to share b/t 2 people. We ordered the Copper River Sockeye Salmon & Pork Tenderloin for dinner. Salmon was cooked fine, although nothing stood out flavor-wise. The cheddar risotto that came w/ the salmon was fantastic. The pork tenderloin was the star - cooked a perfect medium with phenomenal flavor. If it only included the risotto! Overall, I was very impressed w/ Toast. Only reason not 5 stars is that a 5 star place, for me, has to be out of this world!Special Features:
- Enjoyable Experience.SB11Dined on 7/21/2014My experience at Toast Kitchen and Wine Bar was enjoyable. I really liked the Mystery Wine promotion on Monday night. This is a great place if you are looking to try new wines and flavor combinations. Very romantic, quiet setting around dinner hour especially on a weeknight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- johnygoldDined on 7/19/2014Excellent. I will be coming to Toast more frequentlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChoicefoodmeDined on 7/15/2014We found an excellent wine to enjoy with our dinner and found the menu to be extremely diverse. Everything was well prepared and delicious. Service was outstanding. A great find in Shadyside !Special Features:
- Not as good as the first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Service was not good this past Friday. My girlfriend and I had been to Toast before and had a wonderful experience. This past visit not so much. I believe that sitting downstairs would have led to a better experience. Our server was not particularly friendly. It almost appeared that we inconvenienced him by dining.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!KimmieDined on 7/8/2014Unique menu with many tasty options. Everything we tried was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly enjoyable experienceMallEDined on 7/8/2014Tried Toast for the first time for dinner with my sister. We asked about wine flights which are not pre-paired but they sell 2 oz glasses for build your own tastings. The server was great about describing/suggesting wines and I was pleased with my choices based on his descriptions. The cheese board also went nicely with a variety of the wines. I ordered the hanger steak which was cooked to perfection (medium). The grits that came with it were nothing to write home about but the asparagus and green beans were great. For dessert I ordered the chocolate pot de creme which was coffee/chocolate pudding that wasn't super special but hit the spot. My sister got the vanilla creme brûlée which was awesome! Great overall experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!FineDiningSearcherVIPDined on 7/3/2014Never visited Toast before. Had a Groupon for a Benjamin Burger & a small plate; we chose the shrimp and grits. Burger was succulent and perfectly prepared, served hot and tasty. Shrimp and grits were flavorful and rapidly served. Service was efficient and cheerful. Will definitely return....Special Features:
- Great BurgersDomBDined on 6/28/2014Hamburgers were some of the best we ever had. Service was very friendly. Give this place a try.Special Features:
- Toast Kitchen and Wine BarOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014This was our third dinner at Toast and our last. Our server (attractive thin young woman with chin length brown hair) was the rudest server we have ever encountered. Her demeanor was very unpleasant and when we didn't order immediately (we were waiting for her to chill our bottle of wine; not our request, but she offered) she became hostile. Very unfortunate since our prior visits were relaxing. She also charged us $4.50 for a half teacup of coffee - literally. She wrote half cup in parenthesis on our bill.Special Features:
- Great dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2014The food was fantastic and the service was wonderful. Have already recommended to a number of friends and we are going to go again real soon! Eclectic cuisine! Can't rate this place high enough!Special Features:
- The following 861 reviews are from the Toast kitchen & wine bar reviews archive.
- Well done food, medium-rare serviceDeskLazerDined on 5/29/2014I went to Toast! for the first time a few months ago with another couple that raved about the place. It was fantastic experience, so we wanted to do a double date here with another couple, and somehow the service left a little to be desired this time. It seemed like the waiter just didn't like us for some reason. He wasn't rude but not polite either. The food was still fabulous, and I highly recommend getting the jalapeno aioli on the burger. The house chips are honestly better than spending an extra $2 on the fries. The beer selection was a little lacking this time as well, but this bar is known more for their wines and spirits than beer, so I can't really criticize that. But something about this experience felt off from last time.Special Features:
- Tuesday music19TKo53Dined on 5/29/2014Rez for 4 last Tuesday, the 27th. At 8pm a guitar/ clarinet duo performed. Fabulous. Food was very good. Evening was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDine24Dined on 5/24/2014Tried Toast for the first time for a birthday dinner. It took 15 minutes for a server to come over to our table. I had to ask if we had a server and was told yes and that it was the bartender. It took very long throughout the meal to get anything (ordering, refills, etc). Service was not acceptable and very frustrating to deal with. Owner came to table and apologized and compensated by taking items off bill but still wouldn't go back as the food wasn't anything special and the service was awful.Special Features:
- LoveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/16/2014Never the same menu twice. Have lightened up on the beer restriction-once only offering local brews they've expanded to offering a wider variety. Service is casual but attentive. Can ride in on your bike or come straight from the theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slid DownhillKatieVIPDined on 5/10/2014Toast used to be a decent restaurant. No More. Dinner was pre cooked shrimp on a bed of lukewarm grits. The vegetable medley was tiny bits of pepper, hardly a side. Very disappointing experience, I will not go back.
- Birthday Eventwas2000Dined on 4/30/2014We enjoyed having a birthday dinner at Toast. The lamb meatballs appetizer was outstanding. The artichoke aioli appetizer was good but not as special. Main courses of scallops were tasty but watch out for the green chili peppers. The menu has a wide range of offerings. Wine by the glass was good. Service was friendly and attentive. We'd go back.Special Features:
- Nice night outOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/26/2014We had a really nice time at Toast. Everything was good. Not great, but very good. We would definitely go back. The location, although easy to find, is not the best, but the ambiance itself was fine. The service was about average, so no worries there. The wine list, while not excessive, has some mighty fine choices. I had the fried chicken which I must say was excellent. Just enough spice, mixed with some sweet. Good stuff. My wife ordered the pasta and vegetables and it was rather blame. But she explained this to the staff and they brought her some extra Parmesan and all was right with the world. We would recommend and will return at some point.Special Features:
- Excellent food but mix-up in kitchLilaDined on 4/10/2014We had a great meal here with a friend from out of town. We were hoping to impress her with all the changes our beloved city has made. Unfortunately we looked second-rate when the kitchen "lost" our order between the first course and entree, leading us to have a very long wait for our dinner plates. On the "plus" side, the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot ChickenCarolsVIPDined on 4/5/2014The Hot Chicken is one of the best dishes I have had in Pittsburgh in quite awhile. The shrimp and grits wee excellent. Good evening.Special Features: