608 Montgomery Street
Alexandria, VA 20002Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://tjstones.com/
- Phone: 7035481004
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 12:30am, Sunday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from T.J. Stone's
Alexandria's own T.J. Stone's celebrates modern American cuisine. Enjoy casual dining in the comforts of our cozy restaurant and bar with wine, beer and spirits from around the country & world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
T.J. Stone's reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)fit for foodies (3)great for outdoor dining (3)hot spot (2)romantic (2)late-night find (2)special occasion (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Monday Night Football and moreMikeDined on 9/15/2014I went to watch MNF with a bunch of co-workers and was really surprised at the quality of the food. The mussels were outstanding, the burgers were awesome and the wine list was pretty decent. This is going to be one of my go to spots from now on.Special Features:
- Great place to go to watch sportsTracyVIPDined on 8/23/2014This is a great place to sit in the bar area and grab something to eat. There is a gazillion beers to choose from and the bar area is great. Also, you can go casual. The restaurant part is very nice and more upscale. The food is very good although I haven't gotten very good mixed drinks. I had to send a couple of them back and order a standard Jack and Ginger. Kind of hard to mess that up. Otherwise, it's good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014We picked TJ Stone's from an Alexandria Restaurant Week list. The place was nice, service very good, entrees just fair and no "wow" factor that would make us want to return.
- Excellent dining experience!Fun2dineDined on 8/19/2014First visit to T.J. Stone's restaurant was superb. Excellent food, great service and atmosphere. We look forward to going back soon with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden BBQ GemDinningDivaDined on 8/9/2014I wanted good food without the district price. This place delivered. Being a Southern girl I know BBQ and this is it. The ribs, pulled pork, baked beans, cold slaw were amazing. The brisket and mac&cheese need a little tweak but overall I will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NO COFFEEGoodFoodEaterDined on 7/5/2014Can you believe it - this restaurant ran out of coffee!!!!! Our group of 4 finished an enjoyable dinner and we were ready for a great cup of coffee to finish the meal. Our waiter smiled and said we are out of coffee. We thought he was joking, but he wasn't. He could only offer us decaf. UGH!!!!! I have never been to a restaurant that ran out of coffee.Special Features:
- OK service, nice wine but poor foodJohnEODined on 6/3/2014First impressions were that this is a pretty noisy outlet. However, as requested we were escorted to a quiet table. Service was good, although it took 2 requests to get some water. Had a nice (very small) caesar to start washed down with a nice Sangiovese. Foolishly ordered the paella special. Worst paella I've ever tasted. Not oven cooked. Rice not soaked in seafood broth and saffron. Fatty chicken and seafood merely added to stodgy rice. Ugh! Should be avoided absolutely. Oh, and they don't know that they are obliged to take service dogs.
- Nice RestaurantMarine782VIPDined on 5/24/2014My wife and I had a very nice dinner here while staying at the Sheraton Suites Hotel across the street. A nice neighborhood restaurant with good food and a friendly staff. The pork ribs with Texas BBQ sauce were very good and the mussels were plump and tasty with a good spicy kick to them. A good family style restaurant in a nice quiet neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 265 reviews are from the T.J. Stone's reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014It's a cozy place-split for a family section and what is seemingly a popular section for happy hour. We enjoyed the mussels and meatloaf.Special Features:
- Love this place!burntfrootloopDined on 5/16/2014TJ Stone's is a neighborhood staple. The food is really delicious (especially their burgers and sweet potato fries) and very reasonably priced. Their beer and wine selections are also great. My only complaint is that drinks are slightly expensive, but it's great if you can catch them at happy hour. TJ's is great to go see a game in the bar, have a dinner date, and to go out with groups. There's something for everyone. We'll be back many more times!Special Features:
- Pretty GoodallyVIPDined on 5/7/2014After moving to the area and trying to get acclimated, the boyfriend and I were on open table and saw TJ Stones pop up. Unfortunately, it wasn't exactly what we had been expecting. We found out it was sister restaurant to Ramparts, which is just down the block from us. I think my BF had a burger, it was good, bar food-ish. I had a steak salad and they did cook my steak perfectly. I think we had the wings as well which were excellent. Although it wasn't exactly the romantic evening out I had wanted, it was good. And service was attentive. Would have liked to see a few more interesting dishes on the menu.Special Features:
- comfortabledacjfhDined on 4/25/2014good food and a good place to meet friends - a bit loud in dining room - bar is very loud most of the times we have been thereSpecial Features:
- TJ StonescassVIPDined on 4/22/2014This was my second time eating here. The first time was so good, I suggested it for dinner last night. This time was disappointing. I had the steak salad, which was unspectacular. The entrees my previous visit were no longer on the menu-crab cakes w/risotto and a whiskey glazed pork chop. These dishes were the reason for my return. With all the choices in Old Town I'm wouldn't recommend at this point.Special Features:
- Wish I found TJ Stone's soonerOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/22/2014This place was great. The food was delicious, and our waiter was awesome! The place is great inside. Never would have known, based on the outside. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a bad mealDcdinerDined on 4/18/2014TJ Stones is a frequent and I can't say one foul word about it. Service and food are top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for brunch, was just ehDesdemonaVIPDined on 4/13/2014Went for brunch after the GW Parkway Classic running race with my husband and parents at noon. Service was eh, food was eh. I ordered a beer. Bottle delivered by waiter, I asked for a glass. He looked at me kind of annoyed, "yeah, it's coming." Sorry bud, they usually come together. I ordered the saugsage, egg, and cheese sandwich - asked if I could switch out homefries for anything, he said no. Odd since they have a few other side items on menu, I would have paid more for a salad/fruit. Not impressed with the waiter. Brunch menu says egg on sandwich is "scrambled" - plate arrived and egg was poached/runny - which I hate. We had a flight to catch in 2 hours so I didn't even bother to ask the waiter to fix it. Overall, this was just eh.
- Just RightmsAnnandaleVIPDined on 4/11/2014I've been to TJ Stones three times and have been delighted with the meal and atmosphere each time. The availability of free parking is a huge bonus.Special Features:
- Great first experiencer2d2Dined on 4/5/2014It was the perfect place to spend time with friends. We had a great time, the food was delicious and the server very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and beer selectionMarkyMarcVIPDined on 4/5/2014Food is great upscale pub food, extremely accommodating management team. Great back room for large groups and extensive beer list. Would strongly recommend to locals and visitors alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Four adults and one child.MelissaDined on 4/5/2014Four adults and one child. Service was fast and friendly. Good kids menu. Great beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a Return Visit A groupOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/3/2014Worth a Return Visit A group of friends and I enjoyed a weekday evening meal at T.J. Stone. I entered the restaurant around 6:30 PM and found a bar room full with the after work crowd. Since we had a 5 month old baby in our group, I wondered if we had selected the right restaurant but we were quickly directed to a very large round table in the adjacent dining room. The decor was pleasant and the smell of wood burning in the fireplace filled the air in a nearly empty dining room. I found the service and the quality of ingredients was very good and the preparation excellent. I will return to T.J. Stone soon to sample another menu selection.Special Features:
- Decent restaurantegdgDined on 3/29/2014Overall, average restaurant in the Old Town area. Appetizer was great, chips and spinach dip will not disappoint. They fell short on what was supposed to be a better items on the menu, their strip steak. I had it cooked medium rare, and knew before I cut into it that is had been frozen a long time. It had a very pale color on the outside, almost like an Omaha steak, and it was also very stiff. The sides were great and my wife loved her vegan sandwich. Overall, great bar atmosphere or place for large groups/kids, but not for those wanting excellent food.Special Features:
- Great FoodcassVIPDined on 3/19/2014The food was awesome! Would definitely recommend and plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantsamdeeVIPDined on 3/17/2014It was our second time at TJ Stones, but we were not disappointed. Food was very good and of good quality. Portions were nice and we enjoyed ourselves dining from the St. Patrick's day menu. We saw other items coming to various tables around us and all of the food really was presented nicely and looked very appetizing. Service was a little off, but the restaurant was busy for the celebration. We will definitely return back and hope to sit next to the fireplace in the future.Special Features:
- Excellent foodDC123DCDined on 3/14/2014All 4 people loved their dishes. This place gets less attention being off King, but there is easy parking in a lot across the street, good beer list, and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatMountVernonDined on 3/8/2014Extensive menu and outstanding wine and beer selection. Food was good but the service was very uneven. Was approached for our drink order twice immediately after sitting down and before we'd had a chance to peruse the drink menu. Then we had to wait forever for the waiter to reappear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You won't be disappointedFamilyFunDined on 3/8/2014TJ Stones has excellent food, service and reasonable cost. You will leave fully satisfied, guaranteed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked-Away Hidden GemRWFavoriteVIPDined on 3/1/2014Loved my food, loved the extensive beer list, and loved the service. I can't wait to go back for more pulled pork and mac 'n' cheese!Special Features:
- Excellent Casual DiningTMFJR4Dined on 2/22/2014Good Food. Interesting menu. Never had anything less than great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service wereAnitaDined on 2/22/2014The food and service were very good. We had an enjoyable time. However, we were a party of six seated at a table for 8-10 and the music was loud, which made it very hard to talk to one another. I think we will return, but we will be careful in our seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service needs workRochelleDined on 2/14/2014The ambience and food were good. The service was slow once we were seated. We were seated about two feet gem another couple and the server would come and ask them if they needed anything and then would walk off without acknowledging us. Other than this, everything was good, but they need warm bread and butter, which we had to request. Overall good experience and will probably go back for a second visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Valentine Day ExperienceMemberDined on 2/14/2014Had a amazing time TJ Stone's for a last minute V- Day reservations. They accommodated my special requests and the meal was delish. The chocolate covered clementines were amazing. This is truly a Old Town gem!!Special Features:
- SolidOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014Nice holiday menu, with excellent artichoke appetizer. Accommodating with our reservation and adjustments to it. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous restaurantDickWhiteDined on 2/14/2014We had a wonderful Valentine's dinner for 2. The food was excellent and service was just right - attentive but not crawling all over us. This is a place we will go back to!Special Features:
- Delicious food, reasonable priceKarenJDined on 2/1/2014Had the bacon wrapped meatloaf dinner and had enough to fill me comfortably. Dessert would have definitely pushed me over the edge! Their selection of beers is great. Nice to have such options without driving into DC to get them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- T.J. Stones for Saturday BrunchFamilyFunDined on 2/1/2014Great, Great, Great...took the family (all grown ups) to Saturday Brunch and it was all outstanding!!! Food, Atmosphere, Parking in the Lot Directly across the street, Service, Cost...this place is A # 1 in our book and we have eaten in over 25 restaurants in Alexandria Old Town area. Thanks for the great time!! You're GREAT!! The fireplace was Great too!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trivia on Wednesdays!!HollyNoelleVIPDined on 1/29/2014My boyfriend and I love this place! It's our date night spot - and we just started doing trivia night, which is really fun and packed! This place is awesome!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; excellent service.HarryDined on 1/27/2014Good food; excellent service. Problem with parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/26/2014This rating is based strictly on the food. The chicken was incredibly dry, and the venison was overpowered by the sauce/artichoke. Three tater tot balls does not constitute an appetizer.
- So-so experienceTomKDined on 1/24/2014Nice North Old Town Alexandria location with pretty cool bar & great beer list. Large fireplace in dining area really added to the ambience. I had the half-rack of ribs with baked beans & sweet potato fries. Ribs were good but the sides were fair at best. Service left a bit to be desired. I requested lemon with my water, waitress said she'd bring it right away, but I eventually went to the bar to get it myself. While I was disappointed with the service, I'll probably give T.J. Stones another chance to redeem themselves.Special Features: