608 Montgomery Street
Alexandria, VA 20002Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://tjstones.com/
- Phone: (703) 548-1004
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 12:30am, Sunday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from T.J. Stone's
Alexandria's own T.J. Stone's celebrates modern American cuisine. Enjoy casual dining in the comforts of our cozy restaurant and bar with wine, beer and spirits from around the country & world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
T.J. Stone's - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
T.J. Stone's reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)good for groups (24)vibrant bar scene (21)fit for foodies (9)great for lunch (9)great for outdoor dining (8)romantic (7)special occasion (5)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/17/2014Monday night burger and wine special is the best!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReiffVIPDined on 11/15/2014Excellent gem. The food was of great variety, local flair and exceptoionally prepared. The beer, wine list was fun and had great variety. The option to be seated in the TV (sports) area or the more semi-formal dininag area was a treatSpecial Features:
- The service ruined the experience.RyguyDined on 11/15/2014The waiter was arrogant. Many beers were unavailable. There were two versions of the menu on the table. The dining room was cold. Everyone seemed "in the weeds" even though it wasn't that busy. The appetizers and dessert were mediocre. The fried chicken was simply amazing. I recommend getting the fried chicken "to go" or eat at the bar.
- Food was averageBarbaraDined on 11/14/2014I so wanted to like this place- the food was average- i'mll try it again maybe it was an off nightSpecial Features:
- Nice restaurant away from King StreetOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/14/2014We went to T. J. Stone's on a Friday evening before attending a play at The Little Theater of Alexandria. We were there early (6 p.m.). We lucked out and found parking nearby. Food was delicious and the ambiance was good. We were able to talk with our friends without having to shout. Overall good experience and nice find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2014We went there to celebrate family member's birthday. Unfortunately, the restaurant was out of several items like the mussels, several bottles of wine, dessert special. It was early on a Sunday evening. It would have helped if the waitress knew about the foods/wines they were out of, but each time had to come back to the table to inform us to make another choice.Special Features:
- So much potentialfamilydinerDined on 11/2/2014I would have loved to be able to say this was a fabulous place. It's reasonably priced. The food is good, with good salad entre options and unfussy fare. The service was terrible. It was slow. Slow to be seated (we had a 5:30 reservation for 5 - they were not in the middle of a dinner rush), slow to be greeted by our server, and slow to be served drinks and dinner. The only thing that was fast was the check at the end of the meal - no offer of coffee or dessert, no dessert for the kids' meal (supposed to be a sundae included - we had to request it), just the check. I don't think we'll be back - there are too many dining options in the area to put up with bad service.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedFoodie11Dined on 10/25/2014T.J.'s was a very cute, comfortable restaurant to dine. The food and beer list was excellent!Special Features:
- its just okkabulpickleDined on 10/20/2014This is a neighborhood place and I like to support it. But it is noting special. Service is pretty ambivalent, the food quality is spotty - one day the BBQ is good, the next fatty and unappetizing. The place isnt bad at all, but needs to improve staff and quality control.
- first timesamontownDined on 10/16/2014We met family members from out of town and needed a last minute reservation. We had never been before. It was perfect for us. The food was very good. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was exactly what we wanted. Friendly, fun, relaxed and a cut above most ale house restaurants. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Restaurant with nice menuDiscmann131Dined on 10/13/2014Hadn't been too this restaurant before but was told I would like it, and they were right. Excellent selection and quick service then left to eat without anything more than a "Can I get you another drink" or water refill for the evening. Very pleasant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, if you actually get it.JasonLDined on 10/12/2014Used to be a regular here, and I visited again as a special treat for guests from out of the country. They forgot my wife's meal, never brought us water, and served appetizers after our entrees. First time back and now the last time back. Would be 1 star, but the manager did comp 1/3 of the meal. Shame to watch a place this good decline in quality.
- Surprised in Old TownSkinnyVIPDined on 10/4/2014Took the family there on a Saturday night not knowing what to expect, but willing to try because they are on OpenTable and that just makes life easier. Was happy to see a comfortable restaurant, tables with enough room to spread out a family of 5, a great beer/drink list, solid food offerings and pleasant service to boot. It is in a relatively easy to get to part of town as well, will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Beer and FoodBeermongerDined on 9/19/2014This restaurant has an extensive and delicious beer menu! The appetizers and entrees were all excellent as well. This was my second visit and I will most definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday Night Football and moreMikeDined on 9/15/2014I went to watch MNF with a bunch of co-workers and was really surprised at the quality of the food. The mussels were outstanding, the burgers were awesome and the wine list was pretty decent. This is going to be one of my go to spots from now on.Special Features:
- Great place to go to watch sportsTracyVIPDined on 8/23/2014This is a great place to sit in the bar area and grab something to eat. There is a gazillion beers to choose from and the bar area is great. Also, you can go casual. The restaurant part is very nice and more upscale. The food is very good although I haven't gotten very good mixed drinks. I had to send a couple of them back and order a standard Jack and Ginger. Kind of hard to mess that up. Otherwise, it's good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014We picked TJ Stone's from an Alexandria Restaurant Week list. The place was nice, service very good, entrees just fair and no "wow" factor that would make us want to return.
- Excellent dining experience!Fun2dineDined on 8/19/2014First visit to T.J. Stone's restaurant was superb. Excellent food, great service and atmosphere. We look forward to going back soon with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden BBQ GemDinningDivaDined on 8/9/2014I wanted good food without the district price. This place delivered. Being a Southern girl I know BBQ and this is it. The ribs, pulled pork, baked beans, cold slaw were amazing. The brisket and mac&cheese need a little tweak but overall I will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 268 reviews are from the T.J. Stone's reviews archive.
- NO COFFEEGoodFoodEaterDined on 7/5/2014Can you believe it - this restaurant ran out of coffee!!!!! Our group of 4 finished an enjoyable dinner and we were ready for a great cup of coffee to finish the meal. Our waiter smiled and said we are out of coffee. We thought he was joking, but he wasn't. He could only offer us decaf. UGH!!!!! I have never been to a restaurant that ran out of coffee.Special Features:
- OK service, nice wine but poor foodJohnEOVIPDined on 6/3/2014First impressions were that this is a pretty noisy outlet. However, as requested we were escorted to a quiet table. Service was good, although it took 2 requests to get some water. Had a nice (very small) caesar to start washed down with a nice Sangiovese. Foolishly ordered the paella special. Worst paella I've ever tasted. Not oven cooked. Rice not soaked in seafood broth and saffron. Fatty chicken and seafood merely added to stodgy rice. Ugh! Should be avoided absolutely. Oh, and they don't know that they are obliged to take service dogs.
- Nice RestaurantMarine782VIPDined on 5/24/2014My wife and I had a very nice dinner here while staying at the Sheraton Suites Hotel across the street. A nice neighborhood restaurant with good food and a friendly staff. The pork ribs with Texas BBQ sauce were very good and the mussels were plump and tasty with a good spicy kick to them. A good family style restaurant in a nice quiet neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014It's a cozy place-split for a family section and what is seemingly a popular section for happy hour. We enjoyed the mussels and meatloaf.Special Features:
- Love this place!burntfrootloopDined on 5/16/2014TJ Stone's is a neighborhood staple. The food is really delicious (especially their burgers and sweet potato fries) and very reasonably priced. Their beer and wine selections are also great. My only complaint is that drinks are slightly expensive, but it's great if you can catch them at happy hour. TJ's is great to go see a game in the bar, have a dinner date, and to go out with groups. There's something for everyone. We'll be back many more times!Special Features:
- Pretty GoodallyVIPDined on 5/7/2014After moving to the area and trying to get acclimated, the boyfriend and I were on open table and saw TJ Stones pop up. Unfortunately, it wasn't exactly what we had been expecting. We found out it was sister restaurant to Ramparts, which is just down the block from us. I think my BF had a burger, it was good, bar food-ish. I had a steak salad and they did cook my steak perfectly. I think we had the wings as well which were excellent. Although it wasn't exactly the romantic evening out I had wanted, it was good. And service was attentive. Would have liked to see a few more interesting dishes on the menu.Special Features:
- comfortabledacjfhDined on 4/25/2014good food and a good place to meet friends - a bit loud in dining room - bar is very loud most of the times we have been thereSpecial Features:
- TJ StonescassVIPDined on 4/22/2014This was my second time eating here. The first time was so good, I suggested it for dinner last night. This time was disappointing. I had the steak salad, which was unspectacular. The entrees my previous visit were no longer on the menu-crab cakes w/risotto and a whiskey glazed pork chop. These dishes were the reason for my return. With all the choices in Old Town I'm wouldn't recommend at this point.Special Features:
- Wish I found TJ Stone's soonerOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/22/2014This place was great. The food was delicious, and our waiter was awesome! The place is great inside. Never would have known, based on the outside. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a bad mealDcdinerDined on 4/18/2014TJ Stones is a frequent and I can't say one foul word about it. Service and food are top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for brunch, was just ehDesdemonaVIPDined on 4/13/2014Went for brunch after the GW Parkway Classic running race with my husband and parents at noon. Service was eh, food was eh. I ordered a beer. Bottle delivered by waiter, I asked for a glass. He looked at me kind of annoyed, "yeah, it's coming." Sorry bud, they usually come together. I ordered the saugsage, egg, and cheese sandwich - asked if I could switch out homefries for anything, he said no. Odd since they have a few other side items on menu, I would have paid more for a salad/fruit. Not impressed with the waiter. Brunch menu says egg on sandwich is "scrambled" - plate arrived and egg was poached/runny - which I hate. We had a flight to catch in 2 hours so I didn't even bother to ask the waiter to fix it. Overall, this was just eh.
- Just RightmsAnnandaleVIPDined on 4/11/2014I've been to TJ Stones three times and have been delighted with the meal and atmosphere each time. The availability of free parking is a huge bonus.Special Features:
- Great first experiencer2d2Dined on 4/5/2014It was the perfect place to spend time with friends. We had a great time, the food was delicious and the server very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and beer selectionMarkyMarcVIPDined on 4/5/2014Food is great upscale pub food, extremely accommodating management team. Great back room for large groups and extensive beer list. Would strongly recommend to locals and visitors alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Four adults and one child.MelissaDined on 4/5/2014Four adults and one child. Service was fast and friendly. Good kids menu. Great beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a Return Visit A groupOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/3/2014Worth a Return Visit A group of friends and I enjoyed a weekday evening meal at T.J. Stone. I entered the restaurant around 6:30 PM and found a bar room full with the after work crowd. Since we had a 5 month old baby in our group, I wondered if we had selected the right restaurant but we were quickly directed to a very large round table in the adjacent dining room. The decor was pleasant and the smell of wood burning in the fireplace filled the air in a nearly empty dining room. I found the service and the quality of ingredients was very good and the preparation excellent. I will return to T.J. Stone soon to sample another menu selection.Special Features:
- Decent restaurantegdgDined on 3/29/2014Overall, average restaurant in the Old Town area. Appetizer was great, chips and spinach dip will not disappoint. They fell short on what was supposed to be a better items on the menu, their strip steak. I had it cooked medium rare, and knew before I cut into it that is had been frozen a long time. It had a very pale color on the outside, almost like an Omaha steak, and it was also very stiff. The sides were great and my wife loved her vegan sandwich. Overall, great bar atmosphere or place for large groups/kids, but not for those wanting excellent food.Special Features:
- Great FoodcassVIPDined on 3/19/2014The food was awesome! Would definitely recommend and plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantsamdeeVIPDined on 3/17/2014It was our second time at TJ Stones, but we were not disappointed. Food was very good and of good quality. Portions were nice and we enjoyed ourselves dining from the St. Patrick's day menu. We saw other items coming to various tables around us and all of the food really was presented nicely and looked very appetizing. Service was a little off, but the restaurant was busy for the celebration. We will definitely return back and hope to sit next to the fireplace in the future.Special Features:
- Excellent foodDC123DCDined on 3/14/2014All 4 people loved their dishes. This place gets less attention being off King, but there is easy parking in a lot across the street, good beer list, and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatMountVernonDined on 3/8/2014Extensive menu and outstanding wine and beer selection. Food was good but the service was very uneven. Was approached for our drink order twice immediately after sitting down and before we'd had a chance to peruse the drink menu. Then we had to wait forever for the waiter to reappear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.