800 E 81st Ave
Merrillville, IN 46410Neighborhood:
IrishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://starplaza.com/dining/diningtj-maloneys
- Phone: 2197696311
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Irish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Our wildly popular T.J. Maloney’s Authentic Irish Pub dishes up more than just tasty Irish fare and a brilliantly friendly staff. For entertainment, it’s the place to be – especially on weekends. Channeling the warm, festive atmosphere of a true Irish pub, Star Plaza’s signature restaurant – and a Merrillville, Indiana favorite haunt - features live entertainment every Friday and Saturday night @ 10pm – and the best part, it’s free.
- Special Events: Invite up to 40 of your nearest and dearest for a party or special event. T.J. Maloney’s offers three private rooms available to meet any business or social need. Thoughtfully customized menus, an onsite audio visual team and hands-on planning professionals ensure overall ease in coordinating your successful and festive event. Whether you’re celebrating with family, friends or colleagues, or are interested in hosting convention receptions, theme parties, weddings or birthdays – we’ll help you toast to all of life’s moments. Slainte!
A word from T.J. Maloney's
Home of traditional Irish food, beverage and hospitality in Northwest Indiana – T.J. Maloney’s Authentic Irish Pub is one of the area’s and Merrillville, Indiana’s top social destinations for meeting with friends, family and business clients. Whether its a power lunch with colleagues, a beer with friends, a birthday celebration, a favorite dinner stop when you’re on-the-road, or an important VIP dinner – like an old friend, T.J. Maloney’s is the sought-after place you return to again and again. Filled with rich woods, and an elaborate bar with authentic furniture built in Dublin, T.J. Maloney’s transports you to an Irish Pub on the Emerald Isle without the flight.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
T.J. Maloney's reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (5)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (2)good for groups (1)romantic (1)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- eat at your own riskmarvinh4Dined on 8/23/2014the service was horrible, the waiter said he forgot to bring us bread, then he put his hand all over the olive for the martini and sat them in the same plate as the bread. The bartender was snezzing all over the drinks as she made them. The steaks were hard, dry and tufffff. We will never eat at this horrible place again. It was our wedding anniversary and we were in town to see the Mike Epps Show.
- Excellent foodCelticthemeDined on 8/16/2014Fantastic food & drink. Friendly and a fantastic place for fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Irish PubphillysteaknocheeseDined on 6/29/2014TJ Maloney's is a large room but it was nearly deserted. We started to walk away when the waitress came from the back room, called and invited us back. They had an excellent selection of beers on tap and a good wine list. The waitress was very personable. The food was not so good. My wife had Shepard's Pie which she said was significantly over salted. I had "Airline Chicken" with potatoes au gratin and green beans. The chicken was good. The menu offered brussel sprouts, but beans were substituted. The beans were crisp as many people like them. I prefer them to be more limp. The potatoes were not good, served as a wedge instead of a casserole, under a heat lamp for so long, the cheese was a rubbery solid sheet. Waitress served free cake.
- last minutealmostatefastfoodDined on 6/27/2014Last minute reservation worked out fine switch menu's on us didn't have my wife's favorites plate, that was a bummer she did find something else, but wasn't as good for her first choice entertainment was good other than that good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED THE BANDSuzyQDined on 6/21/2014The band, "Of Eld", was playing and provided wonderful entertainment. The seating was great! Food fantastic! Our waitress was terrific! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingPaulDined on 6/20/2014Met my wife for dinner after 6pm on a Friday. Seeing very few people inside tipped me off to what was coming. While the walls and floor show potential for a nice place, the tables and chairs are dated and dinged up. Overall, not impressed with décor. Server spent more time talking to the staff than focusing on his tables. We had to flag him over to get another round of drinks. Food was bland and lukewarm. This was our first and last time dining here.
- Dining was pleasurableSandybeeDined on 5/18/2014We enjoyed the Irish Cuisine. The Shephard's Pie and warm bread was delicious. We had theater tickets and decided to celebrate first with a good meal. We made a great choice! We were not rushed, but the waitress was attentive. A great evening!Special Features:
- The food and service was goodAngelbear15340Dined on 5/8/2014I would recommend the burger was good they give you enough to eat the atmosphere was good fast serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 47 reviews are from the T.J. Maloney's reviews archive.
- Went to see The Unstoppables1234Dined on 4/19/2014We specifically went to see The Unstoppables play. The whole evening was great and the band was AWESOME!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best "first impression"UnhappyCustomerDined on 4/12/2014My fiance and I decided to stay at the radisson for the weekend for his early birthday celebration and made reservations at TJ Maloneys with his family. To start off the night - they wouldn't let me bring a birthday cake that I paid for. Half the drinks his mom ordered, they didn't have... my fiance ordered a drink and it was made incorrectly, his dad ordered a regular coke and received diet, once the waiter took our order and brought our appetizer (which was really good) we never saw him again until our actual food came out and by then everyone needed refills and my fiance had to get a glass of water from the bar for me because I have a stomach condition and I was in immense pain waiting for our waiter to ask him for water. Wont be back.
- Birthday Extravaganza Weekend!!!SecretaryDined on 3/22/2014Martin -- HATS OFF TO YOUR FABULOUS STAFF AGAIN!!! Thank you for accommodating our party of 10!! Our friends and The Difference had a REMARKABLE time and can't wait to be back there again!!! Thanks for making our birthday PHENOMENAL!!! Melissa Perisho & The DifferenceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mis Ter RightJohnDined on 3/7/2014Great food, Excellent Service and a rockin' band... It was a wonderful night out thanks to Jordan and Mis Ter Right.
- Weekend away from homeweekenderDined on 3/7/2014Reserved the table and had flowers sent ,and Wisecrackers lined up on a Friday night. We were seated where requested no waiting and the best of service always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow service - dry bunsFeliciaDined on 2/22/2014The grilled chicken sandwich and the burger we had came on very dry crumbly buns... not very good! Also, the chicken breast was tiny! We waited for another couple to join and our server said he would stop back as soon as he saw them sit down.... he walked by 3 times that I counted without even acknowledging our whole party was there. I understand being busy, but at least say I will be right with you or something..... so we feel less ignored.Special Features:
- Great experienceHappyguestDined on 2/17/2014We had a large group of 8 and it was a very smooth and enjoyable dining experience! Our food was prompt, hot, and delicious! We were there at lunch time and had a meeting afterwards and had plenty of time to eat and enjoy eachothers company and still make it to the meeting in time. Thank you for a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our group of 5 enjoyed ourKatieDined on 2/15/2014Our group of 5 enjoyed our time together! The seating was a little uncomfortable because it was cramped quarters. The waiter was fun & took good care of us. The seating and the bread pudding were the only downside all evening. It was pretty great!Special Features:
- Evening bite to eat & musicSecretaryDined on 2/8/2014Always a great time for a bite to eat and some live music!!! The servers do their best to accommodate the guests and Martin the Manager is always walking around asking guests if they need anything and assisting his staff.Special Features:
- Food was great, service needs helpIrishBloodDined on 2/2/2014My boyfriend and I chose T.J. Mahloney's so our parents could meet each other. Merrillville was a great halfway point. The restaurant had a reputable website and seemed promising. Both of our nerves were on end, this was a big moment in our lives. I wasn't very pleased when I had reserved a table 5 days ahead and the table wasn't ready. Also, the staff was very unprofessional with their attitudes as well as their attire. Most were wearing yoga pants and the staff had inside jokes that were not appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much fun!MagicmojoDined on 2/1/2014Great beer selection to start with and then a very nice meal. We really enjoyed the band, Of Eld. They were a sort of Celtic band with a very interesting song list. We're looking forward to seeing them again and having a great time at T.J. O'Malley's.Special Features:
- The King is more like a princeSkippyDined on 1/24/2014The food was good. All in our party were satisfied. The king portion of the fish and chips was only two pieces of fish and about 3 pounds of fries for almost $19!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Averagemjmmi1Dined on 12/13/2013TJ' s is about what you would expect for a pub. I will say the food was less than average. Apparently salt is used as a main ingredient in the food rather than a spice. We had the Salmon appetizer and it was doused in salt. The waitress did give us a credit for that item, however even the entrée was heavily salted. Maybe the cook/chef had a bad day who knows. Also if you go stick to beer or possibly wine. The mixed drinks they serve are extremely, extremely weak. As far as a recommendation, if your looking for an Irish pub atmosphere and all that entails this place may be for you.
- Great Restaurant!GrampsDined on 11/15/2013T.J. Maloney's is a great restaurant, with good food and wonderful staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for before or after showfoodfan1Dined on 10/15/2013Good food, great service, great for before a show at Star Plaza, but be SURE to make reservations for a show night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watered down drinksTruebloodfan94Dined on 10/12/2013Although our food was great and service was excellent, the cocktails ordered from the bar were not. I have no problem paying for drinks if there are actually alcohol in them. We were a large group celebrating my birthday and most of us were drinking and felt the same about the weak watered down drinks. Its too expensive to not get quality service. Very disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- T. J. Maloney's is my restauranteata7otVIPDined on 9/22/2013T. J. Maloney's is my restaurant of choice when visiting Merrillville, Ind. The food is very good, the service is very attentive and friendly, and the room has a nice vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre concerthooksDined on 9/20/2013We find TJ's convenience to the Sar Plaza a plus to get a very good dinner before we walk to the theater. Waiters are sensetive to the timing of the theater so we are never late.Special Features:
- Great Food and Exceptional ServiceUsAndKidsVIPDined on 9/17/2013We had a fabulous family dinner at T.J's. We will definitely go there again for dinner.Special Features:
- night out delight!heidihoDined on 9/6/2013dinner with the family and friends. Great variety of moderately priced food items, great taste, great quality, great deal!Special Features:
- Came for the musicdiningannieDined on 6/29/2013...stayed for the food. Set up is good - you can see the band from just about every table. The food was tasty - tried the fish & chips and Irish nachos. Wait person was attentive until the place got busy, then slacked off. Would recommend, especially when there's a band .. usually no cover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceedingly large portions;OldBobVIPDined on 6/24/2013exceedingly large portions; all irish foods were deliciousSpecial Features:
- Awesome!!Luv2dineDined on 6/1/2013This was my first time visiting this place and I am disappointed that I haven't been before. The prices were so reasonable, the food was AMAZING, and the service was outstanding. The waitress was extremely nice and very helpful. The scenery is laid back and it is a nice place to go to watch sports while enjoying a nice meal.I have already been bragging to my friends and family about it. I have been to much more expensive places and this place impressed me more. I will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!AlildDined on 5/25/2013We came here for a bachelorette luncheon and the waiter was a lot of fun. He had a great sense of humor and was very efficient. We would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday out with friendslyonsluv2dineDined on 5/17/2013We had a party of 7 to celebrate my birthday. One couple had never been there before, but seemed to enjoy themselves. Great Tequila Bloody Mary. They have many different beers to choose from. I stuck with the Guinness. Our server was great. Food was really good. Recommend the Reuben rolls. The band was New Element. Good band out of Crown Point. Small crowd for a Friday night. We left after the first intermission.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soooo convenient if you areDebbieDined on 4/6/2013Soooo convenient if you are attending the Wisecrackers Comedy Club! And the food is wonderful. Great place!Special Features:
- Okay, here's the thing. IOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013Okay, here's the thing. I used OpenTabke to make a reservation for 13 people for Saturday night. I understand it was a large group, and thats why I thought I would attepmt to make a reservation, so we didn't show up and stress everyone out by trying to last minute make room for us. The person who I assume was a manager, took us to our own room. He was helpful , but he seemed to have this attitude like we were putting him out, making such a large reservation on a Saturday night. He continued to come into our room and ask if we needed anything, but he continued to have this attitude. It made everyone in our party feel uncomfortable. Like our money wasn't welcome because it was an inconvenience to him. Our waitress and food were great, thougSpecial Features:
- Meat portions such as cornedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Meat portions such as corned beef and pork were very small. Steak was not that good and pork not good. Although the corned beef was good and several appetizers were good. Good special on Guiness beer. Atmosphere is great.Special Features:
- Poor appetizer choicejprechterDined on 2/16/2013My fiancé and I really wanted to like it here. The first thing we noticed that the service was a little slow. It took over 10 minutes to get a drink even though we were seated at the table. The waiter was super friendly but his pace could have been better. We ordered an appetizer and that was it for us. We ordered something called the Rueben dip. Sounds good right? Well basically it was a bowl of melted velveta cheese and bits of corn beef mixed in. To get the cheese out you are given stale mini loafs of pumpernickel bread. It was one of the worst things I've ever tasted and I would advise them to take this off the menu or at Lear have the waiter explain how it's served. That turned us off completely so we left
- Everything was excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2013Everything was excellent, the food, the service & especially the entertainment. Nicole Garza & Chad are awesome! My wife & I, along with our whole group can't say enough great things! What a great evening!Special Features:
- The Band may of been factorOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/12/2013The Band may of been factor for crowd. Overall true to irish food. Taste was great.Special Features:
- Fun experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/27/2012The food was just ok but the atmosphere was great and the waiter was attentive. There were good drink specials.Special Features: