Tipple & Brine
14633 Ventura Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Tipple & Brine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 8185282550
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Michael Williams
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Tipple & Brine
Tipple & Brine is a neighborhood oyster bar focused on providing sustainable, seasonal, and the overall best available products in a sophisticated, but casual environment. We strive to exceed our guests' expectations by providing exceptional service, freshly prepared food offerings, craft cocktails, local beers, small production wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Tipple & Brine - Best Restaurants in Sherman Oaks ›
Tipple & Brine reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (74)neighborhood gem (62)vibrant bar scene (50)hot spot (41)good for groups (29)special occasion (22)late-night find (17)romantic (12)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Good, but I wanted it to be betterKTownFoodieDined on 10/17/2014Went after reading on Zagat that it was one of the 15 best new restaurants in LA. Some of the food recommended was the cauliflower which was amazing, the gulf shrimp dish was also really supurb. The muscles however, were so-so. Fennel and muscles isn't my thing and over done in this town but unfortunately, the muscles were also not very flavorful. Braised greens - 2.5. Not great. I went here specifically for the oysters, which I would give a 3. The oysters that night came from either the pacific northwest, or Virginia? The Virginia oysters weren't great. Gotta have Northern Atlantic Oysters on your bar to be taken seriously. The Valley desperately needs a place like this wants to be, unfortunately Triple & Brine isn't there yet.Special Features:
- Don't waste your time or moneyLove2DineOutVIPDined on 10/13/2014We decided to try this restaurant on Monday night for $1.00 oyster night. The oysters were the fishiest oysters we have EVER eaten. We also ordered cosmopolitans to drink. They were the smallest drinks we've ever seen and we thought that perhaps they were there happy hour size/price. No! $9.00 each! We were stymied. Unable to enjoy the horrible oysters, we ordered the chicken pancetta, and the Seabass dishes. They were okay but nothing to write home about. But the worst part of the evening was the lack of service. We couldn't find our server anytime we needed anything. When our water glasses became empty we had to beg someone to fill them, every time - it was just the worst experience in a restaurant that we've had in years.
- SolidJonoDined on 10/7/2014Came here on a Wednesday night for dinner with the Mrs. First off, excellent service. Attentive but not nagging. Good cocktails, good beer. Food was great. Anyplace that has bone marrow on the menu is starting off on the right foot. For the quality of the food, price is very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must try restaurant.luvfood23Dined on 10/6/2014This restaurant experience was amazing. We had the most amazing server, I wish I remembered his name, but his recommendations were spot on and the drinks were incredible. I cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food! - but overpricedSandJDined on 10/4/2014Tough decision as to whether I'd go back or not. I think for a special occasion I might. The food is utterly interesting and delicious and creative. Someone took some time to get the combination and ingredients perfect! I had to order several "small plates" of delicious food to get enough to be full, which was quite costly. SherriSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for meJanieVIPDined on 10/2/2014It is not for me, but I know plenty of people who like this restaurant. It is just not my kind of food and the drinks were lightly poured. I like a full meal and a full drink. Service was good, the seating comfortable and it is very hip. Again just not my style.Special Features:
- wow!Travels2dineVIPDined on 10/1/2014Excellent and unique food selections. Healthy, fun combinations and great sharing!! We had the brussels sprouts….awesome; and the shrimp and uni dishes. Can't wait to go again!!Special Features:
- Food is to acidicameliacatDined on 10/1/2014Very nice, but food is to acidic. I know that "brine" means acidic but it does not have to be to that level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very goodlovemyfoodDined on 9/28/2014Been here before for drinks and enjoyed so decided to come for dinner for wife's birthday. Big mistake. Tried the oysters. Beware oyster lovers, no traditional sauce or horseradish. Their sauce was a ginger sauce that was too much. When asked for cocktail sauce, it was overloaded with liquid smoke. Had one of the oysters myself and it tasted like bath water. ^ oysters and we left 2 over. The Orata (whitefish) is brought with tail and head included. Some might like that presentation, but not me. Worse than that, it was full of bones. For the limited positive, my daughter's flat iron steak was tasty and the brussel spouts were great although the mayo could have been left off. For a $130 meal, I expect more.
- Great local spotvnyumDined on 9/27/2014I'm happy to see more fine dining come to the Valley. We will definitely be returning to Tipple & Brine.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood HangFoodieforLifeDined on 9/27/2014Fun, great food choices, short ribs & scallops ... tasty! Servers very nice and energetic ... crowded but comfortable. Definitely ask for a booth, most comfortable.Special Features:
- Great tastes!AndreaVIPDined on 9/26/2014Very much enjoyed Tipple & Brine. I'm an adventurous eater but there are many things I don't enjoy or can't eat due to some food allergies. Tipple & Brine's combinations are unusual and when first reading the menu I wasn't sure if I'd like the food. But, it was delicious -- especially the brussels sprouts, clams and short ribs. The small plates are great to share so if dining with 4, you can try a lot of items. And, since I just decided to give oysters another try, I found the chef's selection really good! We had an early reservation so it wasn't too crowded or noisy.Special Features:
- Great spot!IwantmoreDined on 9/24/2014Each dish that came out was a delightful surprise. One of the dishes we ordered had A LOT going on, but boy did it work! There was so much more to choose from. The dessert menu could've had a bit more to select from, but the carrot cake was as delish as the server said it would be! Overall, al very yummy experience. Yes, we'll be returning! p.s. Cute bartenderSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique restaurant in Sherman OaksSparkytheDVIPDined on 9/23/2014Most SO restaurants are safe and so boring/mediocre that T&B is a refreshing change. We love oysters and unique small plates and this fits the bill without battling traffic to get over the Hill. We ordered 2 doz oysters and enjoyed them (although a wider choice of dressings, including horseradish would have been nice), followed by the Urchin on toast, Kale salad, Heirloom tomato salad, fried oysters, seared scallops and everything was delicious. This was our third enjoyable visit. Only downside was that service was spotty all 3 times (long waits for some dishes/drinks, then too rushed). Also, if you don't have moderately adventurous diners with you, the menu offerings are rather slim (our teen daughter refuses to go with us again).Special Features:
- Not the Valley's Connie & Ted'sMarkBDined on 9/22/2014Had been reading rave reviews, so decided to try $1 Oyster Monday. First, the $1 oysters are not the best quality. For those, you still pay regular price. Second, they are so busy, even getting a dozen is very difficult. We waited 45 minutes. Before we got them, we'd tried to order a 2nd dozen as there were 4 of us. By the time those came, we were through dining for the evening and we sent them back. Still, they showed up on our check, which was courteously corrected. The staff was friendly, but the service was very slow and disjointed. The food we ate after the oysters was good, but not great (whole orata fish was the best), and the noise level was crazy over the top. Based on the buzz, I was hoping for a lot more.
- A big disappointmentLocalGirlDined on 9/21/2014The service was bad and very unprofessional. In an empty room, we were tucked away into the back, given our side dish of Brussels sprouts before any food or drink, had to repeatedly ask for bread, the rest of the food arrived out of normal order, and everything had too much vinegar or salt. The pork belly and lentils were fine, but the bone marrow consisted of 1/2 of one small shank . Doesn't live up to the hype.Special Features:
- Total findWishtheyhadbetterscotchDined on 9/19/2014I don't think place is nearly as new as it was to me BUT the place is a total diamond in the rough! Fantastic architecture with a real sense of place and style. Clientele is mixed so nice variety of people watching, easy access and good valet parking... food was pretty good and cocktails were pretty good. The ambience is what held us there. Absolutely worth a trial run....Special Features:
- Oysters good butJUMBOVIPDined on 9/17/2014a little overpriced @ $3.50 ea. Everywhere else $3.00. i found the food to be quite salty. i.e. brine I guess that is why they call it that. I would go back but not rushing.Special Features:
- JvJoevVIPDined on 9/12/2014Service was good. Food was not good. Drinks were poorly made.nice ambiance. Would never go back.
- Are there too many small plates?NotJonathanGoldDined on 9/7/2014Food was mostly small plates, a bunch of eclectic choices, but the whole experience lacked focus. (I tried to order the short rib on Sunday night, but they were out.) Some very good tastes and some only average, but the dishes all seemed complicated and not uniformly yummy. Don't know if I would go back, and would recommend to a friend only with reservations. Music was loud, but I liked the room - sort of woodsy and rustic.Special Features:
- Hit or missFood2loveVIPDined on 9/7/2014We have been here a couple of times and our third visit seemed an epic fail. We ordered at least 5 dishes and two failed. The gulf shrimp was rubbery and overlooked and replace of we ordered the pork belly which was then dry and over salted . I guess you can say the best thing on the menu is their veg. Drinks are good but over priced . Nice ambiance. Would only return once me u changes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingWhats4DinnerDined on 9/7/2014We were ignored for about 20 minutes after sitting. Servers scurried by while the restaurant appeared to still be preparing to open. We finally got a server's attention & ordered 1 doz. ea. of 2 types of oysters and cocktails. Another 10-15 min, still no water, no drinks. Eventually, drinks arrived followed by oysters that were labeled w/a flag indicating the tray had 3 types of oysters. The served grabbed the flag and said that was not correct. We noted the oysters all appeared different, but he insisted they were all the same. We ate them but cancelled the second order and asked for a check. An irritated manager came over to tell us she was taking the order we cancelled off the check. No apology, no attempt to make things right.
- TASTIN' IT!EightOneGreatDined on 9/3/2014JUST AMAZING FOOD -- and in the Valley to boot! The Whole Cauliflower head and brussels sprouts were mindblowing. We had a delightful, informed server; other runners and buss staff were overworked and way too late with bread and extras needed for our meal. At least our dessert coffees were comped due to being late. The oddest thing was that the desserts actually dimmed my experience! The praline-studded carrot cake was amazing but I think the closest a carrot ever got to that cake was waving from the pantry! The Prezel/Chocolate/salted caramel pudding sounded great, but was too overwhelming and kinda killed the buzz from all the great savory foods. A lifetime first for me! Regardless of the small hiccups, I will certainly be back!Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemScarlaDined on 9/3/2014This was our fourth visit -- the food is comparable to anything on the west side, the staff is welcoming and professional, and the vibe is lively and fun. We've been waiting for a restaurant like this in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- Lots to ConsidercastawayDined on 8/29/2014If you are hungry, and don't want to spend an arm and a leg, do not go here. The Oysters are excellent, do not get the Chef's special--fun place. They charge for bread! And, I ordered a drink that had no alcohol in it and they ended up charging more than a regular drink! Not a terrible night, but for the money, it doesn't hold up.Special Features:
- hmmmJennaVIPDined on 8/27/2014The food is very ecelctic but, good for what it is. A bit pricey in my opinion for what you get. The servive itself was outstanding!!Special Features:
- Not for Friday night happy hour!GoldenLeicaDined on 8/22/2014Actually, a hot spot for young people on a Friday night. But impossible to have a conversation for anyone else. We had a party of 5 and couldn't hear each other talk. Service was great. Food was great, especially the oysters. Cocktails were fantastic. But after our entree we went across the street to Coldstone Creamery for ice cream and a chance to talk. I hope that Richard's next restaurant is a bit quieter. Nonetheless, this restaurant is a great success! Better than it's predecessor!Special Features:
- Unusual foodAndyDined on 8/14/2014Small menu, far from the norm in selection. Very loud bar scene, difficult to hear conversation at a table.Special Features:
- Oyster house w/o flavorkoverrDined on 8/4/2014Went expecting yummy oysters to slurp down with a cold beer. Didn't happen. The types, which I've had before, we're indistinguishable from each other. Sad. The mignonette was pure vinegar, no shallots, just chunks of pepper. No flavor Sad. beer was good. My wife had the Brussels sprouts, too much vinegar as well. Sat at the bar, usually a good place for quick service. The bartender was too friendly and never took our entire order with several attempts. We had to work hard to get his attention again. The other bar staff were busy chatting with each other and did not look to see if patrons wanted anything.
- Great food, incredibly loudgrumpyDined on 8/4/2014The food here is imaginative and really sensational. But the noise level is so loud you can not talk across the table.
- Not 4 vegan vegetarian pescetariansvenzocriticDined on 8/1/2014Not for vegan, vegetarian or pescetarian. Everything has some sort of animal fat. Duck or pork! The lobster terrain tastes just like Hotdog. Steamed clams has chorizo & the grits are not good at all. Kale salad left me an after taste of some heavy animal fat. The best thing was the cauliflower! Just nice olive oil! The service was minus-ok, the lady was really nice and cheerful but seemed not to pay much attention. Mixed up the order. When we asked for the check and got our change back she didn't bring it complete, we needed about 51 cents back but never got them. I fell that was not nice neither appropriate! I except all my money back even if later i decided to leave the coins behind, that is for me to decide not for the waitress.
- Awesome Sherman Oaks Date spotNicksnick717Dined on 7/30/2014All of the food is pretty much Tapas style. We had the chef's dozen oysters, 1 veggie, 1 appetizer type plate, and 1 entree type plate and we're pretty impressed by the food quality. It was on par with finer dining establishments that prix fixe multi course serve. The alcohol selection was okay. The only thing that was a little annoying was the moose levels. Overall, great place for the locale.Special Features:
- LOUD, but delicious...wildriceVIPDined on 7/29/2014I'm personally a little tired of all these restaurants that you can barely hear what your tablemates are saying. If we wanted to go to a bar with loud music, then we would go to a bar with loud music. But, when you want to go out for a nice dinner, have a lovely conversation, and eat really yummy food, then we would appreciate your turning the music down!!! We were a party of 5, and not particularly "needy", but our waitress kept disappearing for very loooooong stretches of time. Several times we had to ask the busboy or another server for something. The food, however, was delicious and didn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great new neighborhood spotshoaks1Dined on 7/29/2014This place was so great. We went in and told the waitress to have the chef bring us out whatever we wanted, so we got to taste many items. All were delicious. The cocktails were also amazing. The atmosphere is really great. The service was great, as they were constantly refreshing our plates for new dishes, but did have to ask a few times to find our waitress to order new drinks or get water, but she was very knowledgeable and great. We had a great time and will definitely go back and have already recommended it to many friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeVIPDined on 7/27/2014The food was decent,service was decent cept the manager that seated us.I immediately disliked her..seemed like she didn't want to deal w/us no longer then she had to. I asked her if we could keep a menu in case we wanted something else, but she told us that of we wanted something they'd bring the menu back..I've nvr had a prob keepin a menu w/us@another rest..Unless they didn't have enough?.. Who knows but I know that she was a witch & WOULD NVR EVR GO BACK THERE AGAIN!Special Features:
- surf and turflove2eatDined on 7/24/2014Went here for DineLA. But ended up ordering from a regular menu. Oysters were excellent and i thought Lamb shank was done to the perfection. Excellent, attentive service.Special Features:
- Deliciously NoisyilikefudDined on 7/23/2014We went for DineLA. The food was delicious and so were the cocktails. The noise level was challenging.Special Features:
- Good vibe and foodDhuieDined on 7/22/2014I came here because of DineLA. I liked the decor once i walked in and the service was great. The food was very yummy. I would go back.Special Features:
- yumvnyumDined on 7/19/2014very much enjoyed this new local spot and will definitely be going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific service/Terrific foodjpb1Dined on 7/19/2014We ate on the DineLA option for dinner on a Saturday night, and all the dishes were outstanding. We also ordered oysters. Delicious and a wonderful variety with the Chef's choice. The service was personable, helpful, even fun. Extremely accommodating to food allergies and forthcoming when there was a slight delay with one of our parties' food order. Decor outstanding; seating is comfortable. My only complaint is that the restaurant was full and extremely loud. Was hoping for good dinner conversation with the great food, but that was nearly impossible with the bass of the music and the loud noise all around us. Too bad. We'll try again at lunch, or maybe sitting near the open windows? Great addition to our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.