Tipple & Brine
14633 Ventura Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Tipple & Brine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 8185282550
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Michael Williams
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Tipple & Brine
Tipple & Brine is a neighborhood oyster bar focused on providing sustainable, seasonal, and the overall best available products in a sophisticated, but casual environment. We strive to exceed our guests' expectations by providing exceptional service, freshly prepared food offerings, craft cocktails, local beers, small production wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Tipple & Brine - Best Restaurants in Sherman Oaks ›
Tipple & Brine reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (82)neighborhood gem (73)vibrant bar scene (58)hot spot (45)good for groups (30)special occasion (27)late-night find (23)romantic (19)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- JvJoevVIPDined on 9/12/2014Service was good. Food was not good. Drinks were poorly made.nice ambiance. Would never go back.
- Are there too many small plates?NotJonathanGoldDined on 9/7/2014Food was mostly small plates, a bunch of eclectic choices, but the whole experience lacked focus. (I tried to order the short rib on Sunday night, but they were out.) Some very good tastes and some only average, but the dishes all seemed complicated and not uniformly yummy. Don't know if I would go back, and would recommend to a friend only with reservations. Music was loud, but I liked the room - sort of woodsy and rustic.Special Features:
- Hit or missFood2loveVIPDined on 9/7/2014We have been here a couple of times and our third visit seemed an epic fail. We ordered at least 5 dishes and two failed. The gulf shrimp was rubbery and overlooked and replace of we ordered the pork belly which was then dry and over salted . I guess you can say the best thing on the menu is their veg. Drinks are good but over priced . Nice ambiance. Would only return once me u changes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingWhats4DinnerDined on 9/7/2014We were ignored for about 20 minutes after sitting. Servers scurried by while the restaurant appeared to still be preparing to open. We finally got a server's attention & ordered 1 doz. ea. of 2 types of oysters and cocktails. Another 10-15 min, still no water, no drinks. Eventually, drinks arrived followed by oysters that were labeled w/a flag indicating the tray had 3 types of oysters. The served grabbed the flag and said that was not correct. We noted the oysters all appeared different, but he insisted they were all the same. We ate them but cancelled the second order and asked for a check. An irritated manager came over to tell us she was taking the order we cancelled off the check. No apology, no attempt to make things right.
- TASTIN' IT!EightOneGreatDined on 9/3/2014JUST AMAZING FOOD -- and in the Valley to boot! The Whole Cauliflower head and brussels sprouts were mindblowing. We had a delightful, informed server; other runners and buss staff were overworked and way too late with bread and extras needed for our meal. At least our dessert coffees were comped due to being late. The oddest thing was that the desserts actually dimmed my experience! The praline-studded carrot cake was amazing but I think the closest a carrot ever got to that cake was waving from the pantry! The Prezel/Chocolate/salted caramel pudding sounded great, but was too overwhelming and kinda killed the buzz from all the great savory foods. A lifetime first for me! Regardless of the small hiccups, I will certainly be back!Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemScarlaDined on 9/3/2014This was our fourth visit -- the food is comparable to anything on the west side, the staff is welcoming and professional, and the vibe is lively and fun. We've been waiting for a restaurant like this in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- Lots to ConsidercastawayDined on 8/29/2014If you are hungry, and don't want to spend an arm and a leg, do not go here. The Oysters are excellent, do not get the Chef's special--fun place. They charge for bread! And, I ordered a drink that had no alcohol in it and they ended up charging more than a regular drink! Not a terrible night, but for the money, it doesn't hold up.Special Features:
- hmmmJennaVIPDined on 8/27/2014The food is very ecelctic but, good for what it is. A bit pricey in my opinion for what you get. The servive itself was outstanding!!Special Features:
- Not for Friday night happy hour!GoldenLeicaDined on 8/22/2014Actually, a hot spot for young people on a Friday night. But impossible to have a conversation for anyone else. We had a party of 5 and couldn't hear each other talk. Service was great. Food was great, especially the oysters. Cocktails were fantastic. But after our entree we went across the street to Coldstone Creamery for ice cream and a chance to talk. I hope that Richard's next restaurant is a bit quieter. Nonetheless, this restaurant is a great success! Better than it's predecessor!Special Features:
- Unusual foodAndyDined on 8/14/2014Small menu, far from the norm in selection. Very loud bar scene, difficult to hear conversation at a table.Special Features:
- Oyster house w/o flavorkoverrDined on 8/4/2014Went expecting yummy oysters to slurp down with a cold beer. Didn't happen. The types, which I've had before, we're indistinguishable from each other. Sad. The mignonette was pure vinegar, no shallots, just chunks of pepper. No flavor Sad. beer was good. My wife had the Brussels sprouts, too much vinegar as well. Sat at the bar, usually a good place for quick service. The bartender was too friendly and never took our entire order with several attempts. We had to work hard to get his attention again. The other bar staff were busy chatting with each other and did not look to see if patrons wanted anything.
- Great food, incredibly loudgrumpyDined on 8/4/2014The food here is imaginative and really sensational. But the noise level is so loud you can not talk across the table.
- Not 4 vegan vegetarian pescetariansvenzocriticDined on 8/1/2014Not for vegan, vegetarian or pescetarian. Everything has some sort of animal fat. Duck or pork! The lobster terrain tastes just like Hotdog. Steamed clams has chorizo & the grits are not good at all. Kale salad left me an after taste of some heavy animal fat. The best thing was the cauliflower! Just nice olive oil! The service was minus-ok, the lady was really nice and cheerful but seemed not to pay much attention. Mixed up the order. When we asked for the check and got our change back she didn't bring it complete, we needed about 51 cents back but never got them. I fell that was not nice neither appropriate! I except all my money back even if later i decided to leave the coins behind, that is for me to decide not for the waitress.
- Awesome Sherman Oaks Date spotNicksnick717Dined on 7/30/2014All of the food is pretty much Tapas style. We had the chef's dozen oysters, 1 veggie, 1 appetizer type plate, and 1 entree type plate and we're pretty impressed by the food quality. It was on par with finer dining establishments that prix fixe multi course serve. The alcohol selection was okay. The only thing that was a little annoying was the moose levels. Overall, great place for the locale.Special Features:
- LOUD, but delicious...wildriceVIPDined on 7/29/2014I'm personally a little tired of all these restaurants that you can barely hear what your tablemates are saying. If we wanted to go to a bar with loud music, then we would go to a bar with loud music. But, when you want to go out for a nice dinner, have a lovely conversation, and eat really yummy food, then we would appreciate your turning the music down!!! We were a party of 5, and not particularly "needy", but our waitress kept disappearing for very loooooong stretches of time. Several times we had to ask the busboy or another server for something. The food, however, was delicious and didn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great new neighborhood spotshoaks1Dined on 7/29/2014This place was so great. We went in and told the waitress to have the chef bring us out whatever we wanted, so we got to taste many items. All were delicious. The cocktails were also amazing. The atmosphere is really great. The service was great, as they were constantly refreshing our plates for new dishes, but did have to ask a few times to find our waitress to order new drinks or get water, but she was very knowledgeable and great. We had a great time and will definitely go back and have already recommended it to many friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeVIPDined on 7/27/2014The food was decent,service was decent cept the manager that seated us.I immediately disliked her..seemed like she didn't want to deal w/us no longer then she had to. I asked her if we could keep a menu in case we wanted something else, but she told us that of we wanted something they'd bring the menu back..I've nvr had a prob keepin a menu w/us@another rest..Unless they didn't have enough?.. Who knows but I know that she was a witch & WOULD NVR EVR GO BACK THERE AGAIN!Special Features:
- surf and turflove2eatDined on 7/24/2014Went here for DineLA. But ended up ordering from a regular menu. Oysters were excellent and i thought Lamb shank was done to the perfection. Excellent, attentive service.Special Features:
- Deliciously NoisyilikefudDined on 7/23/2014We went for DineLA. The food was delicious and so were the cocktails. The noise level was challenging.Special Features:
- Good vibe and foodDhuieDined on 7/22/2014I came here because of DineLA. I liked the decor once i walked in and the service was great. The food was very yummy. I would go back.Special Features:
- yumvnyumDined on 7/19/2014very much enjoyed this new local spot and will definitely be going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific service/Terrific foodjpb1Dined on 7/19/2014We ate on the DineLA option for dinner on a Saturday night, and all the dishes were outstanding. We also ordered oysters. Delicious and a wonderful variety with the Chef's choice. The service was personable, helpful, even fun. Extremely accommodating to food allergies and forthcoming when there was a slight delay with one of our parties' food order. Decor outstanding; seating is comfortable. My only complaint is that the restaurant was full and extremely loud. Was hoping for good dinner conversation with the great food, but that was nearly impossible with the bass of the music and the loud noise all around us. Too bad. We'll try again at lunch, or maybe sitting near the open windows? Great addition to our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never again....LonewolfVIPDined on 7/18/2014Ffood excellent; ambiance horrible. Ridiculously tiny tables crammed into a small place as if the restaurant was an after thought to the oyster bar. Fled to the lounge seating area which was empty, but soon filled to sardines in a can status. On Friday nights it's more pick up bar than nice restaurant: foodies stay away! The place is a zoo, not a fine dining experience at all. This place seems to be confused about being a fine dining restaurant or an oyster bar and so tries to be both. The dining experience, horrible.Special Features:
- Great local findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014My wife and I enjoyed the dine La prefix and added drink flight and oysters. Amazing food and drinks, bring your wallet. High recommendation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 28equipeDined on 7/15/2014Great staff, great service, great food! We will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Tipple & BrinenicknameDined on 7/14/2014Portions too small and the place is LOUD, table of four we could not carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- Outstanding!BobbieatsDined on 7/12/2014We went with friends from the westside who suggested we try it. After I made reservations, I read reviews (I don't often do that). Nearly everyone said the food was good, many thought the service was horrid. I was concerned that we'd face terrible service - something I abhor. Much to our delight, the service was as outstandingly wonderful as the food. Everyone was lovely; we were met with smiles, a friendly greeting and seated promptly. Brianna (and Kevin) were exceptional. The food was sensational - we had lots of oysters and 6 small plates, each better then the last. We will certainly go back very soon as we cannot wait to have more of the uni toast, the fried octopus and of course, the oysters.Special Features:
- tipple tripped badlyfeedmeDined on 7/12/2014Had a 6pm reservation. arrived at 6, ordered at 6:05. at 6:30 we were informed our appetizer had been served to the wrong table. At that point we decided to leave.
- Mixed feelingsmixeDined on 7/11/2014Our server was friendly and helpful. It was extra amusing when she said, "our portions are small making it good for sharing". My party of five was left a little unsatisfied by the lack of service and long wait time. I can forgive the long wait for the food especially on a Friday evening, but extra wait time for the drinks was a little frustrating. Our party ordered seven to eight items from the menu and since the portion were so delicate our hungry party wiped the dishes clean. Selected dished were absolutely delectable. We wanted some additional bread to compliment our lobster terrain and scallop sauce, but even the wait for the bread was painstaking long. At one point, we had to ask where our server went.Special Features:
- Good FoodKatandRichVIPDined on 7/8/2014This simple restaurant has a few nice drinks, a few nice wines and a great menu. Lots of seafood in sharing sizes and some great beef for entres. We love the Oyster Bar and our waitress was really great. My only complaint; they had a problem in the Kitchen and had to recook our food, but they comped us an appetizer (UNI TOAST) while we waited.Special Features:
- We were treated horribly.CathyRVIPDined on 7/5/2014Experience was terrible. Before we sat down the hostess told us our time limit was 2 hours. I made this reservation weeks ago, I was not a walk-in. When we finished dinner it took 15 min for our server to return with dessert menus. We ordered a dessert & coffees. They came back 10 min later to tell us the coffee was brewing. Then, still coffee-less, the hostess told us to leave our table and sit somewhere else. We were shocked. The service was so bad (just like my first visit) so it wasn't our fault that we were over the stupid "time limit." Then the absolutely obnoxious manager, Emily, came over, tried to make us move and laughed at us. This is a new restaurant. They need customers. We will never return after that deplorable treatment.
- Too much vinegar?chu105VIPDined on 7/3/2014Possibly bad luck with ordering, but it seemed every dish we ordered had a prominent vinegar taste. Raw oysters had vinaigrette option reasonable, trout rillette had vinegar on the frisée, Brussels had vinegar, and seared bass too? Would return for oysters and to try more cocktails and dishes, hopefully less vinegar this time.
- Great new spot in SFVOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/3/2014Creative menu -- seafood items are fresh and delectable. Great selection of top shelf liquor including Japanese whiskeys... cocktails are delicious and fresh. Service is great.Special Features:
- Out of oystersYazz24Dined on 6/23/2014Drove all the way from Los Angeles for the oysters... And the ran out as soon as we got there. A real disappointment . Our server Ian was very nice for the 5 minutes we were there. The hostess was not. She acted like we were bothering her or we should not have been there. I'm sure this place is a great oyster bar when they actually have oysters .Special Features:
- Excellent experienceKolis1Dined on 6/22/2014creative food Great service Don't pay attention to negative reviews, experience the place yourself before you judgeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in the Valley!OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 6/21/2014What a find! We usually never spend Saturday nights in the Valley - too much mediocrity. We are pretty serious foodies. However this Saturday we couldn't make It over the hill and decided to try this restaurant as it was recommended by a client. Beautiful hip atmosphere and GREAT menu. Fresh inventive veggies and great wine and beer selection. We didn't get the oysters as my husband had had too many this week already . We wil be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MIXED EMOTIONSLindaDined on 6/21/2014This was a fun restaurant. The ambiance is obvious upon entering. The wait staff is knowledgeable and friendly. The bar seems very out there in that they don't carry old standard brands, such as Dewars White Label or J&B scotch. But, all in all, we will go back. Food was very good and everyone in our party had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dma8Dined on 6/20/2014terrible food! go only for the bar and HH on mondays.
- FLAWLESS!!Pmc2VIPDined on 6/15/2014The cleanest, freshest oysters I have ever eaten. Brilliant small plates and entrees. Can't wait to ultimately taste every menu item!Special Features:
- Gem of Sherman OaksCaliforniafoodieDined on 6/14/2014Tipple & Brine has excellent food!!! The oysters are fresh & delicious. The lamb shank is tasty, cooked to perfection. Great wine pairings too. I absolutely recommend this place to anyone who loves small plate dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.