168 W 4th St.
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tiopepenyc.com/
- Phone: 2122426480
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner:
Sunday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 1:00am
Friday & Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Chef Octavio
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Tio Pepe offers full-service catering to meet your every need.
- Private Party Facilities: We have several private rooms available to host your next corporate or family affair.
A word from Tio Pepe
It's Party Time at Tio Pepe, a venerable landmark in Greenwich Village. Since 1970, this delightful restaurant has charmed its way into the hearts of New Yorkers. Tio Pepe has managed to cook up all the right ingredients for success. Tio Pepe has been voted "numero uno" for its Spanish cuisine while food writers have lavished praise upon our wonderful Mexican specialties. Tio Pepe evokes the true spirit of both Spain and Mexico as it is one of the few restaurants that has successfully merged the best entrees from Spain such as Paella Valenciana, with the regional specialties of Mexico, such as a variety of sizzling fajitas. You will be immediately satisfied with your dining choices, all at a reasonable price.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tio Pepe reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (5)great for lunch (5)neighborhood gem (5)special occasion (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)romantic (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- So bad it must have been a fluke!FoodmeisterGeneralDined on 7/16/2014The guacamole was basically bland avocado, not a hint of salt or any other flavor. The "paella" consisted of what was alleged to be saffron rice, but which must have been store-bought, and some mussels. Can't remember much of anything else. Despite the small portion even for a single person and even though it was suppose to be for 3 people, we left most of it untouched. The "coca" was a small dry piece of dough baked in a wood oven, with some tomatoes and other ingredients placed on top. The service was attentive, to the point of being annoying and pushy, as if they were trying to add to the check. The food was so poorly prepared that I do not think they had a real chef that evening. So bad, that it had to be an unusual situation.
- Always ExcellentlaurapDined on 7/12/2014i always have a great experience at Tio Pepe been going for over 10 yrs and i love it still. The upgrade on the menu is very good as well.. Great staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gem of a Mexican place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/5/2014Amazing guacamole, delicious drinks, diverse menu, and a wonderful West Village atmosphere.... The manager is also a lovely gentleman. This place is always cozy, reliable, and delicious! Choose this over the "big names" any day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be great, Now its terrible.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014When you order a Tbone for $36 you expect a large steak or high quality meat. What I got was on par with what you would get at IHOP or a diner for $10. I ordered it medium rare and it was well done and very thinly cut. It was served on a stone slab with no rim on the edges so the juice from the meal dripped from slab to the table, and then on my pant leg. The octopus appetizer has six tiny slivers of octopus and a giant potato underneath them to make it seem like we were getting more octopus than we really were. My father ordered the Merluza or Hake fish and it was overcooked and stringy. He suspects that it probably wasn't Merluza. The waitress was very nice, but we'll never be coming back.
- A low-key fun space for group of 10CUParentDined on 5/9/2014We were celebrating our son's college graduation & needed a nice yet fun place for dinner for 10 on a Friday night. It's hard to find all that in NYC. Couldn't be too stuffy for the college set, but needed to be pleasant for us older ones too. Tio Pepe's was a perfect solution as they have a large high-ceiling room in back. It's walkable from NYU & the staff is gracious. We kept changing head count that day, no problem. We straggled in to our table in small groups, no problem. We waited an hour over appetizers until everyone had arrived before ordering entrees, yet the staff remained cheerful. A delightful evening celebrating with our group & the Tio Pepe staff was so accommodating the entire time. Many thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cinco de MayoKeyWestLoverDined on 5/5/2014We (unfortunately, perhaps) were there on Cinco de Mayo. We had reservations but no table because people who were there for food/drinks were not leaving. To the credit of the staff, we were seated within 30 minutes. Service was very good. Food was not as good as usual (my paella was burnt on the bottom)--I assume this was due to how busy they were. I've been to this restaurant many times and it's always been very good. I'll continue to recommend it unless I have another marginal experience like this most recent one.Special Features:
- It was OkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2014Went to this restaurant on Cinco de Mayo so that being said, we expected it to be busy. We ordered the quacamole to start and then the quesadillas and calamari for our main dish. The quacamole guy was so backed up that we ended up eating our main entrees before even getting our quacamole. The food was not very good and service was poor. The restaurant should have been more prepared.
- The following 36 reviews are from the Tio Pepe reviews archive.
- AfterdarkDined on 5/3/2014I've been coming here for about 40 years - yes, since I was 10 - and it never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday LunchDaisyVIPDined on 4/19/2014We went here not expecting very much - just wanted a quick bite in the Village. We were very pleasantly surprised - the food was delicious (and plenty of it); service was very attentive without being overpowering and, since we were there early in the day, it wasn't very crowded. The view of the street and all the colorful Villagers was very entertaining. Will definitely be back! HAVE THE FLAN FOR DESSERT - FABULOUS!Special Features:
- Beautiful PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014Tio Pepe was incredible. The service was the best I ever had. They are the most polite individuals anywhere. The entrees cost anywhere between $20-$40 a little pricy. The music played nicely in the background and allows you to have a good conversation. The food was good, not spectacular, but the drinks were made well. Strong drinks. I definitely recommend this to others and I will be returning.Special Features:
- Enjoyable dinnerteambaldwinDined on 3/15/2014My husband and I greatly enjoy this restaurant. The fresh guacamole, prepared tableside, is outstanding! The food and service are both very good. Definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm not sure they even gotsjel725Dined on 3/8/2014I'm not sure they even got the reservation. When we went to check in, there was nothing about our reservation on the books, but we were seated within a 1/2 hour of the reservation I submitted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Terrible ServiceJmwpVIPDined on 3/8/2014I went to this restaurant with a few friends from out of town and was expecting a great evening as we have visited the location over the years. What we received this time was uncaring service that bordered on apathetic and rude. Was charged for each club soda refill I had which was 3oz. of liquid and an entire glass filled with ice. Overall, the food was amazing and maybe I will order a meal to-go, but it boiled my blood to have to tip such a terrible server. Although the bus boys and runners were amazing.
- good food, ok drinksfoodie78VIPDined on 3/7/2014Overall we had a nice experience, but be warned that the margaritas are quite sweet, and taste like they are made from a mixSpecial Features:
- Go for the TapasJMNyCDined on 10/18/2013My girl friends and I ordered the Guac, Octopus, Grilled Garlic Shrimp and 2 different Paella's. The Tapas (Shrimp and Octopus) were amazing, particularly the octopus. The Guac was good, but in hind sight I would have rather tried another one of their tapas. As for the paella, the seafood and meat were cooked perfectly. However the rice and seasoning weren't amazing and didn't pop. If we were going again we would have ordered only tapas as that seems to be their specialty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okay food, but a bit fasttad1232000VIPDined on 8/9/2013okay food, but a bit fast foodish. would be good to step up the menu and make some more interesting fare.
- SangriaArobertsVIPDined on 6/22/2013Loved the sangria here. The pealla is amazing too. We sat at the open windows. It was a good venue.Special Features:
- $12 brunch with a cocktailfoodienycVIPDined on 6/22/2013The guacamole is made on the spot but it was a tad bland for my taste. As far as the brunch specials are concerned the seafood crepes were tasty albeit in a heavy cream sauce. The saffron rice didn't have much taste but the chuletas were very good. Don't expect to much but the portions are filling and for $12 to include a mimosa or a bloody mary you can't really complain.Special Features:
- Not worth itcocoboucheVIPDined on 6/12/2013Food is blah. Ambience is blah. You should spend your night elsewhere.
- Wonderful service and sangriaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2013I went to Tio Pepe with a group of friends and we had a wonderful time. You can order pitchers of sangria, so we had a pitcher of the red and a pitcher of the white. It was delicious! I ordered the fajitas with shrimp and it was wonderful. The energy in the place is great! It's not a quiet spot, but a lot is going on (both in the restaurant and in the area) and that is exactly what we were looking for -- a delicious meal and drinks before hitting the town. The menu has SO many options and I almost struggled to order because everything looked so good! We also ordered guacamole which is made at a cart that is brought to your table, so you know it's fresh and tasty. I will definitely be returning to Tio Pepe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- While the appetizers we orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/25/2013While the appetizers we ordered were OK - my husband and I were appalled by the paella. It was just BAD.
- Tio Pepe is a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013Tio Pepe is a great place to have dinner with friends or family...good spot for a first date too. The food is great and the service, the same. I had the lobster stuffed with shrimp and it was absolutely delicious...a must try! Oh, ya gotta have the Sangria...red or white...you'll love'em both! Definitely give Tio Pepe a try...ya won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Very Nice RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013The food was Great. The service was a little slow at first, but picked up later. I went late in the evening and had to change the reservation time on OpenTable due to a show going overtime, and they were very accommodating. I will dine again and would recommend to a friend.Special Features:
- This is a very simple place,NYCBizTravelerVIPDined on 2/28/2013This is a very simple place, with good food. It's not a hot spot, you won't have a problem getting table. Sometimes you just want a quiet night in a place where you can easily hear eachother, and the food here is very good. They are super nice and friendly.Special Features:
- More tex mex than spanish.ToddVIPDined on 2/24/2013More tex mex than spanish. Solid if not exceptional. Very good service and setting.
- Food was tasty & fresh. GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013Food was tasty & fresh. Good place for a low key but nice dinner for two. Flan was not up to par; would give another chance though!Special Features:
- We were a group of four, includingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013We were a group of four, including one vegan, and everyone loved their meal. We will be sure to return.Special Features:
- Amazing restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/30/2013I love this restaurant, the service is outstanding , the food is delicious, frozen margarita are the best, the staff is eu friendly, I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Food was just kind of Okay.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2013Food was just kind of Okay. Chicken was over cooked. Paella was on the gritty side and most everything was just sort of blah. Probably wouldn't go back there.
- Great food, and a cool ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2013Great food, and a cool ambiance out in the back porch area. The pitchers of sangria were huge and not too sweet.
- Celebrated my daughter's 22ndOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2013Celebrated my daughter's 22nd birthday there in there "garden." My son said it reminded him of his student days in Guatemala. They bent over backwards to make my daughter feel special on her birthday. Paella was great and there's lots of it. Great festive atmosphere. Easy to get reservations. Noisier in front, quieter in garden. Wonderful service. Reasonable prices.Very nice.Special Features:
- Good Spanish FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/5/2013The restaurant is a good size and they definitely fit as many tables in as possible. We sat next to the wall which helped as we only had one table right next to us. The waiter was wonderful and was very attentive to our table. The group sitting next to us was very loud which made it hard to talk at certain points. The food was very good. The guacamole was a good start, not the best I've had but not the worst. The main courses we had were cooked very well and filled us to just the right point. I had the chicken stuffed with shrimp and cheese, my boyfriend had the chicken with ham. We were both happy with our meals. We also had the Sangria which was very good. I would recommend it to others as a fun place to go for good Spanish food.Special Features:
- Great Food Great Night!!NellyDined on 1/4/2013First time visiting Tio Pepe for my friends Birthday Dinner. We could not have chosen a better place. Upon walking in you can smell the aroma from spices and food. We were in love. The restaurant is very authentic in looks. Festive decor and table seatings are comfortable. The staff were very professional, friendly, and gave great food and drink recommendations. We had the Sangria and it was great! Our food came out fast and was very tasteful and filling. This is a must visit spot!Special Features:
- Great Experience - We satOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/24/2012Great Experience - We sat in the garden with 6 people. The food (try the octopus and the paella, and the guacamole) and the sangria were excellent!Special Features:
- NOT fit for foodiesLaurenVIPDined on 11/9/2012The only saving grace was that most of the food was drowning in butter. Otherwise, it was inedible.
- Bermuda Joe in the Big CityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2012Tio Pepe had excellent service and the food was great. Great trendy neighborhood location. We sat in the window seat and it was thoroughly enjoyable. I recommend both the fajitas and the paella.Special Features:
- Standard tasty Mexican, cuteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2012Standard tasty Mexican, cute interior, fantastic brunch deal - bloody mary/mimosa and generously-sized brunch entree for only $12!Special Features:
- The food is really tasty andFoodeeeeeVIPDined on 8/9/2012The food is really tasty and the service was excellent. A great experience all around!Special Features:
- Had a nice time, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/13/2012Had a nice time, good food and good service. Will go back again for sure.Special Features:
- I come here a lot. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2012I come here a lot. The food is excellent and very fresh. The guacamole is AMAZING!!!, and their drinks are not overpriced.Special Features: