Tim Garling's Jackalope Grill
750 NW Lava Road
Bend, OR 97702Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: $31 to $50
Tim Garling's Jackalope Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jackalopegrill.com/
- Phone: 5413188435x
- Hours of Operation:
Lounge opens at 4:30.
Happy Hour runs from 4:30 to 6:00.
Dinner: M-Su 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Northwest
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar
A word from Tim Garling's Jackalope Grill
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Tim Garling's Jackalope Grill - Best Restaurants in Bend ›
Tim Garling's Jackalope Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (59)fit for foodies (58)great for outdoor dining (54)romantic (38)neighborhood gem (31)notable wine list (24)good for groups (11)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Jackalope GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014Really great meal. Service was excellent. If it is not too cold...request the patio. First come basis..worth going early for.Special Features:
- Courtyard Great SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014I haven't been to Jackalope since they have been downtown and I was very pleasantly surprise. The courtyard dining was lovely. The food as always was delicious and we had great service.Special Features:
- Outdoor dinnerJohnBobDined on 9/11/2014My wife, a friend and I had a very nice dinner in the courtyard. Very beautiful relaxing setting this time of year with the flowers surrounding us. Service was at a slow pace as that is what we wanted. We all had different dishes after cocktails that we really enjoyed. Ashley (sp?) did a fine job serving us without over imposing herself. As it turned out we were there for over two hours and closed the place up! We will definitely return one day for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Was great in the pastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Nothing special this time, which was disappointing as it was a special occasion. Had lost our reservation and even though we showed up half hour early, still could not sit outside on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSmithrockhopsDined on 9/6/2014We loved this place! Great ambiance, great food, romantic and the noise level was appropriate. I could hear my husband talk to unlike some other restarants we have been to. We also didn't feel like we were crammed in to a tight space- in other words, I get claustrophobic. The courtyard patio was beautiful too. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Closed and RudecjisndenialDined on 9/1/2014Our reservation was made on Monday at 7:00 for an 8:30 seating. We arrived on time to find the closed sign on the door. We ignored it and walked in to the host desk. The hostess stared at us from her seat at the bar for a minute before coming over. We explained we had a reservation. She found it on her iPad. Then she informed us that the "last table" hadn't ordered yet so if we wanted to hurry we could be seated. Being rushed on a special occasion is never fun so we went elsewhere.
- Outstanding!BirthdaygirlDined on 8/30/2014We chose the Jackalope Grill to celebrate my birthday. We were all very pleasantly surprised that it was so lovely (we looked online for photos but could not find any...). This was the best dinner any of us had experienced in Bend. The wine was great. The Sparrow Bakery bread was delicious. My husband and I shared the mushroom caps and a filet entree. The other couple shared the mushroom caps and the pork osso bucco. We all shared the bananas foster. Wow!! This was an unforgettable dinner and we will tell our friends to be sure to come to the Jackalope Grill. We also noted that there were three birthdays being celebrated in our portion of the room and one anniversary. That might be a clue to the reputation of this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerZsKitchenDined on 8/29/2014Our dinner was well prepared and attractively plated. Outdoor courtyard was softened with many plants. I found the outdoor chairs somewhat uncomfortable. We look forward to returning and trying other things on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagnificentNanMarieDined on 8/28/2014Everything is outstanding - table settings, service, food, drinks, court yard - every detail. Nothing is lacking, totally worth every dime spent. It is one of Bends finest restaurants. And the location is perfect. Dine, walk around town makes a romantic and memorable experience. Food selections and presentations are well balanced making sure you will find your favorite. Bendites know where to go for the best - Jackalope Grill. I must confess, before sharing Jackalope Grill with out of towners when asked, I somewhat interview them to make sure in my mind they are worthy and able to appreciate the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd give it a 7BKbendDined on 8/25/2014It was our first time at the restaurant. The service, environment and menu options were great. Three of us had the ciappino and I had the fish special on Monday night. The fish was great but the ciappino was less than ok . It was overly spicy and not edible. After waiting a long time for the " redo" , the dish came out as peppery as before. There was no accommodation/acknowledgement for 3 unbeaten meals and you were left with unhappy customers. This restaurant needs to do better if they want return business.Special Features:
- Nice Evening OutSpudVIPDined on 8/23/2014Greeted and seated promptly, something for everyone on the menu, good cocktails, and attentive wait staff. It would be nice however to receive the food menu along with cocktail/wine menus upon being seated as other Open Table & Yelp reviewers have recommended. How do you base your selection of cocktail or wine without knowing what you're going to eat? Rather odd.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/21/2014Another GREAT meal and DELIGHTFUL evening! Keep up the GOOD work. Brian Williamson, Belvedere, CASpecial Features:
- Our Favoritejulie43Dined on 8/19/2014Our small town has many great dining spots, but Jackalope Grill remains our favorite.Special Features:
- Dining with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014Took two friends with us for our first visit. We all had different dishes and each thought the food outstanding. Service was pretty slow, even though they were not particularly crowded. However, we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dining experienceBonniewhoDined on 8/18/2014We took some good friends here as we loved this restaurant when we were here last year (we're from out of town.) Ate outside on their beautiful patio which is quiet, peaceful and quite romantic. The wine list was impressive and extensive. We had the rack of lamb, veal saltimbocca, and the tuna. We each loved our dinners and our desserts. The food was delicious and presentation was perfect. What we really loved was our waitress, Ashley. You couldn't ask for better. We will definitely be back the next time we are in Bend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Celebrated my daughter's 19th birthday here. There were 12 of us dining and everyone's meal was very good.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantLuvsagoodmealDined on 8/10/2014The Jackalope Grill has moved to a very nice new (to us) location. This is an improvement. Everything about our dining experience was first rate. We will definitely return when we are in Bend again. Our server was very knowledgable and gave excellent service. The food was cooked perfectly, and the presentation was superb.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedDunthorpeVIPDined on 8/10/2014Very good service. Outdoor dining available. Was surprised at the school cafeteria style chairs and bland table setting in the courtyard which is otherwise beautiful. Red wines served at room (warm) temperature which is always surprising at a quality restaurant this day and age. Hot night out so the concern the wines were not stored well. Food was fine, just not memorable.Special Features:
- A wonderful experienceDiscernibleVIPDined on 8/7/2014We arrived early to get one of the first-come, first-serve tables in the beautiful outdoor courtyard. The setting enhanced the wonderful menu and excellent food. Presentation was spot on as every plate appealed to the eye first and taste matched the descriptors. A plus for many diners is the large number of designated gluten-free items. The mussels and Dungeness crab-stuffed mushrooms apps were happy to be dipped w the warm loaf of bread. We dined on schnitzel, albacore, and saltimbocca, and were pleased with our choices. So much to look forward to for a future visit as the lamb chops begged a return visit!Special Features:
- Very pretty and very quietMorrisonsDined on 8/5/2014While the ambiance, noise level, and service were top notch, the food preparation was not quite up to that standard. The seared ahi was tasty but a bit overdone ("medium rare" was ordered-perhaps we should have ordered "rare"). However, we had a wonderful, quiet evening with friends in a beautiful garden setting and would not hesitate to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best In Bend, OR.dstandDined on 8/2/2014Fantastic food and service! We had a great time with friends in this wonderful restaurant in Bend, Oregon. Best place we have eaten in Bend as we have dinned at just about all dinning locations in downtown. The food came Hot to our table in a timely fashion and the cocktails were perfect! Thanks Jackalope for putting FINE back in Fine dinning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good mealfamilyof4Dined on 8/1/2014This was a good meal and I especially liked the beet salad. Wait staff could have been a little more attentive for refilling water glasses but food and drinks came in a timely manner. We sat inside but near the courtyard and the courtyard looked attractive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening was great for patio seatingHungerVIPDined on 8/1/2014Appetizer of mussels were generous and pretty good. Monchong fish special and tetrazzini were OK, nothing outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So accommodating! What a find!SaibellDined on 7/29/2014I live 2,800 miles from this restaurant. We love to go every time we're in town. When I called 2 weeks early to make reservations for my birthday and ask what would be on the desert menu, the chef (Tim) spoke to me personally. Not only did he make my favorite desert (flourless Chocolate Torte) the night we came, he remembered to wish me happy birthday when we were there! I love that level of personal service. He clearly cares that his restaurant is friendly. Amazing wine, bread, sauces, and steak, excellent service. The patio is magical at night with its flowers and twinkle lights. Neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- redtieDined on 7/27/2014We were first time customers and we were very pleased with our experience. Service was excellent all meal courses were very good and very timely....would highly recommend the Jackalope Grill to friends and relativesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/27/2014We had an outstanding meal at the Jackalope Grill. The menu had a ton of interesting and appealing items. Everything we had was delicious. Service was great. We sat outside on the patio which was quite lovely. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014a little high priced for the average diner, will probably wait a couple years before we can afford to come back. Food was good, service excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant relaxationGumboqueenDined on 7/20/2014Went on a Sunday night and it had the perfect mix of ample space, tablecloth service, varied menu choices and good service. Attractive place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- winedoctorVIPDined on 7/18/2014I actually enjoyed the Jeagerschniztel in a non-German eatery. The mussel and grilled shrimp apps were also very good. Clayton was our server, one of the best spoken servers I've ever dealt with. Excellent atmosphere also. Will go back. Live in Fla.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2014We have been to Jackalope at the newer location (downtown) 3 or 4 times, and the food is always excellent. We brought friends from out of town who wanted to have a special dinner. It was with great confidence that we made the reservation, having NEVER experienced an off-night at Jackalope. Again the food was great, and the experience was great. Jackalope is FINE DINING, but relaxing at the same time. All of the dishes were great.Special Features:
- dont botherOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/13/2014The service was great but the food was horrible. I was very disappointed.
- Jackalope Rocks It AgainpdxfoodieVIPDined on 7/10/2014We come to Bend 1-2 times a year and this restaurant is always on our go-to list. The food is outstanding and exceeds our fine dining expectations time and time again. We used to go to the older location in an ugly stripe mall, where we discovered this gem and almost didn't go in because "what fine dining restaurant is located in a strip mall??" Our inappropriate profiling was quickly humbled after the first meal. Now located downtown, they have not only maintained their culinary excellence, the ambience is fantastic with a nice outdoor patio in the back. Our meal this time was top notch from the preliminary cocktails through a scrumptious desert. The meal was further enhanced by the excellent service and humor from our server, Eric.Special Features:
- Bend's Hidden GemmspacmanDined on 7/8/2014If you are looking for a restaurant that locals in the know go to, this is it. Amazing food, great service, quiet ambiance. What more could you ask for? Order off of the special menu, you can't go wrong.Special Features:
- Delicious!seekingexceptionaldiningDined on 6/28/2014All of our food was excellent! The service was wonderful and the ambiance and decoration of the restaurant was beautiful. I appreciate that they have small plates making it easy to eat moderately as well as wonderful large meals for those who desire them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- louiegourmetDined on 6/26/2014Service was terrible for a restaurant at this price point. Started when we arrived. We were basically told to pick an open table and seat ourselves. Took 5+ minutes before someone came to the table to provide menus or ask if we cared for a drink. Delivery of our meals was overly slow even for a relaxed venue. Overall the food was very good. The topper to the evening is when I forgot that I had a coupon and they had already run my credit card. I was told there was no one that could make an adjustment to the bill. Long story short we ended up taking a dessert home as compensation. Never an apology for the issue. Food is good, however probably would not return due to the lack of service.
- Jackalope Rocks!NorCalDanVIPDined on 6/24/2014Hard to write down all the superlatives! Service was terrific - Food at the top of the scale - bar menu a+ --- I could go on. Don't miss this spot if you're travelling to Bend; the locals seem to know about it already.Special Features:
- Great dinning experience in BendJackMacDined on 6/22/2014Tim Garling's Jackalope Grill is a terrific dinning experience!! Everything was absolutely perfect. The wine food and ambience are out of this world, but the icing on the cake are Kathy and Tim Garling. Kathy mets the guests with warmth and charm as you enter and the service and friendly atmosphere continues through the entire meal.Special Features:
- Delicious!Soup2NutsDined on 6/20/2014It had been several years since I had eaten at the Jackalope Grill. My husband and I recently met some friends from out of town for dinner here and our meal was fantastic. Our table ordered the jaeger schnitzel, osso bucco and saltimbocca. Everyone loved their dishes. For dessert we had lemon curd, crème brulee and bananas foster. Each was amazing. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a delicious, hearty meal in a beautiful setting.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014Both of our dinners and the service was excellent. The outdoor patio is a wonderful place for meals, with all the flowers and vegetable gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonably priced menuWaimeawahineDined on 6/18/2014The restaurant has both indoor and outdoor seating with a small bar with a flat screen. Interesting cocktail menu. The dinner menu is not very extensive and if you do not like sun dried tomatoes you have limited choices. I ended up with a beet salad and an eggplant salad both of which were excellent. My husband had the seafood pasta and it too was excellent.Special Features: