Tim Garling's Jackalope Grill
750 NW Lava Road
Bend, OR 97702Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: $31 to $50
Tim Garling's Jackalope Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jackalopegrill.com/
- Phone: (541) 318-8435
- Hours of Operation:
Lounge opens at 4:30.
Happy Hour runs from 4:30 to 6:00.
Dinner: M-Su 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Northwest
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar
A word from Tim Garling's Jackalope Grill
DECEMBER 10th WE WILL BE HOLDING OUR CHEHALEM WINE MAKER DINNER. WYNNE PETERSON - NEDRY WILL BE IN ATTENDANCE. MORE INFORMATION TO COME!!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Tim Garling's Jackalope Grill - Best Restaurants in Bend ›
Tim Garling's Jackalope Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (67)fit for foodies (64)romantic (44)great for outdoor dining (41)neighborhood gem (37)notable wine list (31)good for groups (11)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Date night dinner for fourOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2014Went with some friends for a date night. We were excited to try a new spot, but ended up being somewhat disspaointed. The atmosphere was nice, and our server was attentive. Unfortunately, several items on the relatively small menu were already "sold out", and we were ther at 7 on a Friday evening. The opah entree I had was just absolutely soaked in butter/oil, so much so that it was almost too overwhelming to eat. Our appetizers, drinks and a couple other entrees were enjoyable. Would give another shot, hoping for better results. Good location, and reasonable pricing.Special Features:
- Lovely.PEACEBOOKIEDined on 11/17/2014Two friends took me to Jackalope for a belated birthday celebration. Everything about the evening reminded me why I have always loved this place. The ambiance is quietly elegant, the food well prepared, the service impeccable. One small complaint....I had two cocktails that were mostly ice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceggordonDined on 11/15/2014Reviews looked good so my wife and I gave it a try. Fantastic all the way around. Food Quality and freshness, service, ambiance. It was so good we took friends to the restaurant the next night. Had a second wonderful experience. Look forward to eating there on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown GemBendBoundDined on 11/9/2014Lovely restaurant with delicious food, a great place for dining in downtown Bend. Many great choices in menu, it was hard to pick! So we will have to come back to try out the other items. Marlin w/risotto was spectacular.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Setting was quiet and comfortable. The beverage selection was outstanding and our wait person, Eric was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014..... get dressed up and make Jackalope Grill a special date.You won't be disappointed. From the greeting to the goodbye, here is where you want to be. Interesting menu with thoughtful service. You really don't want the evening to end.Special Features:
- Excellent high end dining spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Great location near downtown and convenient parking. The menu was creative and preparation was excellent. Our waitress was quite attentive and made sure that we were finished in plenty of time to walk over to the Tower Theatre for a concert at 7:30. Extensive wine list with some very interesting choices from both the NW and around the world. The atmosphere was warm and cozy. Even though the restaurant was full, it was easy to have a quiet conversation. Highly recommended for a special occasion or romantic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable eveninglovetoeatVIPDined on 10/27/2014Can't wait to go back next time i'm in Bend. It is very quiet- great for talking and the food was excellent along with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but slow serviceZesiDined on 10/25/2014The food was great….the service for a party of 6 was very slow. Don't think it was the servers (who was very nice) fault, rather believe that the kitchen was pushed over the limit as it took for ever to get the main course.Special Features:
- TAsteful good tastesdiningdivaDined on 10/24/2014Jackalope is one of our favorite places to eat in Bend. The staff really know their business and the food is delicious. It is prepared with with care and falir.Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/23/2014Dinner was outstanding as I have come to expect from JackalopeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We found our #1GraywolfVIPDined on 10/19/2014We've been eating at the various wonderful restaurants in the area, enjoying many of them. But the combined service and quality of the food we had at Jackalope wins our first place vote. After forgetting some Lion's Mane mushroom from one of the dishes they quickly brought a large side dish with the delicious mushrooms specially prepared. Each aspect of the food was cooked and seasoned perfectly.Special Features:
- scarfalopolisDined on 10/18/2014Nice setting with fine food and a touch of class. Would have liked a bit more choice on the entrees.Special Features:
- Fri. night dinnerbrenny541Dined on 10/17/2014We have eaten there before, but the food was outstanding as usual. The special Octoberfest menu was the attraction since we both enjoy German food. Our server did an outstanding job as well making this a enjoyable occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OFF THE BEATEN PATHBendBillDined on 10/14/2014Jackalope is in downtown Bend but not on one of the main streets. It is a block of Bond Street around the corner from the Oxford Hotel, in a street front location of an apartment complex. It has a nice outdoor dining area which is available during the spring, summer and fall months but not in use during the winter as it can be a bit cold or snowy. The main dining room is appealing and there is a full bar off the dining room. The menu changes seasonally to allow for the use of local products. The menu includes nice appetizers and salads along with entrees that vary from seafood, beef and pasta to German Jagerschintzel. The food is consistently well prepared and the service is always appropriate to the dining experience and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in BendBenditeDined on 10/10/2014Oktoberfest menu was outstanding. European guests charmed. Outstanding food and wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodfoodiespouseDined on 10/10/2014Jackalope is the best restaurant in Bend. They offer consistently great meals. There are other good restaurants, (e.g., Zydeco & Trattoria Sbandati), but Jackalope's options and flavors are still our favorite after many years. We have also recommended Jackalope to many friends, all of whom have enjoyed their meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/10/2014Tim Garling's Jackalope Grill never disappoints. I had a big birthday celebration there in September and everything was perfect. We went the other night to celebrate Octoberfest with their Octoberfest menu. Food was excellent. Service was sublime, and the treat of an after dinner port by the owner was the perfect touch to a remarkable experience. I love this place...my favorite in Bend. And an added bonus when the chef visits your table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elope at JackalopeTheGloveDined on 10/7/2014The first night we dined at Tim Garling's Jackalope Grill my gorgeous wife looked at me and said, "No friends here... This is our getaway place." Several anniversaries, birthdays, and many romantic evenings later - it is still "Our Place", and never fails us. For our 31st - She began with delectable Butternut Squash soup, while I maintained form with my usual fried eggplant with arugula, dried/roasted tomato and Oregon honey. Ahhhh.... OK, back to the review: her ribeye was legendary while my rack of lamb was truly incomparable. My creme brûlée and her tiramisu were absolute perfection, and the glass of moscato brought the evening to a perfect close.... Well, the dining part. Try it, you won't regret it....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/6/2014Food was ok but didn't have the "wow" experience I expected. Maybe just an off night??Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Food was bland, not good and over priced. Pretty disappointing overall considering how much we paid for the mealSpecial Features:
- One Of The Best In Bendluv2dineDined on 10/3/2014Want a special dining experience..Jackalope is the spot. Perfect from start to finish..each dish expertly prepared, wonderful menu and service could not have been better. Loved it and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not my best nite at Jackalope GrillDMacGDined on 9/30/2014My husband and I had dinner with some friends at the Jackalope Grill recently. It is a place we've always enjoyed very much in the past. But this time, the staff (and the owner) let part of our party sit in the bar for 20 minutes even though the rest of the party was already seated in the dining room, and neither knew the other was there. Then, the owner was rude to me in front of my friends when I asked a simple question about making sure the bartender received my tip. Then, my much-anticipated sauerbraten arrived and was tough. All in all, I still think it's a nice restaurant, but it was not my best experience there.
- Great findRickMDined on 9/27/2014We tried this Bend restaurant based on the reviews online and weren't disappointed. From the immediate smiling face at the hostess station to the best creme broulee I've ever tasted, the meal was exquisite. Pricey for Bend, but that's a known quantity going in so no surprises there. I am an ex-restaurant manager and pay attention to timing of service, they didn't miss a beat. Absolutely perfect dining experience for my wife's birthday, we'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jackelope Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014My husband and I went to Jackelope for a much needed date night. We were seated in the romantic courtyard garden and it was beautiful. Our waiter was attentive but not annoying. The food and wine was amazing! I highly recommend the Jäger schnitzel! Thank you so much for a wonderful evening! Jackelope has been a family favorite for years and their downtown location is fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jackalope GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014Really great meal. Service was excellent. If it is not too cold...request the patio. First come basis..worth going early for.Special Features:
- Courtyard Great SurprisetvslotsDined on 9/20/2014I haven't been to Jackalope since they have been downtown and I was very pleasantly surprise. The courtyard dining was lovely. The food as always was delicious and we had great service.Special Features:
- Outdoor dinnerJohnBobDined on 9/11/2014My wife, a friend and I had a very nice dinner in the courtyard. Very beautiful relaxing setting this time of year with the flowers surrounding us. Service was at a slow pace as that is what we wanted. We all had different dishes after cocktails that we really enjoyed. Ashley (sp?) did a fine job serving us without over imposing herself. As it turned out we were there for over two hours and closed the place up! We will definitely return one day for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Was great in the pastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Nothing special this time, which was disappointing as it was a special occasion. Had lost our reservation and even though we showed up half hour early, still could not sit outside on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSmithrockhopsDined on 9/6/2014We loved this place! Great ambiance, great food, romantic and the noise level was appropriate. I could hear my husband talk to unlike some other restarants we have been to. We also didn't feel like we were crammed in to a tight space- in other words, I get claustrophobic. The courtyard patio was beautiful too. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Closed and RudecjisndenialDined on 9/1/2014Our reservation was made on Monday at 7:00 for an 8:30 seating. We arrived on time to find the closed sign on the door. We ignored it and walked in to the host desk. The hostess stared at us from her seat at the bar for a minute before coming over. We explained we had a reservation. She found it on her iPad. Then she informed us that the "last table" hadn't ordered yet so if we wanted to hurry we could be seated. Being rushed on a special occasion is never fun so we went elsewhere.
- Outstanding!BirthdaygirlDined on 8/30/2014We chose the Jackalope Grill to celebrate my birthday. We were all very pleasantly surprised that it was so lovely (we looked online for photos but could not find any...). This was the best dinner any of us had experienced in Bend. The wine was great. The Sparrow Bakery bread was delicious. My husband and I shared the mushroom caps and a filet entree. The other couple shared the mushroom caps and the pork osso bucco. We all shared the bananas foster. Wow!! This was an unforgettable dinner and we will tell our friends to be sure to come to the Jackalope Grill. We also noted that there were three birthdays being celebrated in our portion of the room and one anniversary. That might be a clue to the reputation of this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerZsKitchenDined on 8/29/2014Our dinner was well prepared and attractively plated. Outdoor courtyard was softened with many plants. I found the outdoor chairs somewhat uncomfortable. We look forward to returning and trying other things on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagnificentNanMarieDined on 8/28/2014Everything is outstanding - table settings, service, food, drinks, court yard - every detail. Nothing is lacking, totally worth every dime spent. It is one of Bends finest restaurants. And the location is perfect. Dine, walk around town makes a romantic and memorable experience. Food selections and presentations are well balanced making sure you will find your favorite. Bendites know where to go for the best - Jackalope Grill. I must confess, before sharing Jackalope Grill with out of towners when asked, I somewhat interview them to make sure in my mind they are worthy and able to appreciate the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd give it a 7BKbendDined on 8/25/2014It was our first time at the restaurant. The service, environment and menu options were great. Three of us had the ciappino and I had the fish special on Monday night. The fish was great but the ciappino was less than ok . It was overly spicy and not edible. After waiting a long time for the " redo" , the dish came out as peppery as before. There was no accommodation/acknowledgement for 3 unbeaten meals and you were left with unhappy customers. This restaurant needs to do better if they want return business.Special Features:
- Nice Evening OutSpudVIPDined on 8/23/2014Greeted and seated promptly, something for everyone on the menu, good cocktails, and attentive wait staff. It would be nice however to receive the food menu along with cocktail/wine menus upon being seated as other Open Table & Yelp reviewers have recommended. How do you base your selection of cocktail or wine without knowing what you're going to eat? Rather odd.Special Features:
- Mushroom128Dined on 8/21/2014Another GREAT meal and DELIGHTFUL evening! Keep up the GOOD work. Brian Williamson, Belvedere, CASpecial Features:
- Our Favoritejulie43Dined on 8/19/2014Our small town has many great dining spots, but Jackalope Grill remains our favorite.Special Features:
- Dining with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014Took two friends with us for our first visit. We all had different dishes and each thought the food outstanding. Service was pretty slow, even though they were not particularly crowded. However, we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dining experienceBonniewhoDined on 8/18/2014We took some good friends here as we loved this restaurant when we were here last year (we're from out of town.) Ate outside on their beautiful patio which is quiet, peaceful and quite romantic. The wine list was impressive and extensive. We had the rack of lamb, veal saltimbocca, and the tuna. We each loved our dinners and our desserts. The food was delicious and presentation was perfect. What we really loved was our waitress, Ashley. You couldn't ask for better. We will definitely be back the next time we are in Bend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.