Tila's Restaurante & Bar
1111 S. Shepherd
Houston, TX 77019Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Tila's Restaurante & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tilas.com/home.html
- Phone: 7135227654
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am, Sunday: 10:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Tila Hidalgo and Sergio Hernandez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Take advantage of our private dining room this Holiday season, which holds up to 25 guests. We also offer off premises catering with a special flair for excellance and detail. Leave all the work to us for a most memorable experience.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Tila Hidalgo Leach 713-529-7916
- Special Events: New Year's Eve 2011 Celebration Friday, December 31, 2010 from 5:00PM to 2:00 AM. Offering a 3 course dinner including a glass of Champagne. Live Mo-Town band that will make you want to dance your shoes off. Awesome, romantic decorations and party favors for a great ambiance.Open seating. $70.00 per person not including liquor, tax or gratuity. Make your reservations now: 713.522.7654. We are open on Saturday, New years Day January 1, 2011 from 11AM to 12 midnight.
A word from Tila's Restaurante & Bar
Since the mid '80s, Tila's has challenged the boundaries of traditional Mexican cuisine with inspired, age-old family recipes. From brie cheese and pear quesadillas to tequila-marinated salmon with fresh kiwi and mango slices, the cuisine is anything but predictable. Only the vivid imagination and tequila-inspired tastes of Tila's could conjure up such extraordinary fare. Customer favorites include Salmon Borracho, Filet Mignon, Chiles en Nogada, and our signature marinated Chilean Sea Bass. The patio provides the perfect retreat for the neighborhood crowd to unwind after a long day's work, weekend shopping or as a precursor to the night ahead. With homemade, all natural margaritas and an impressive selection of over 60 premium tequilas, patrons will be inspired to do absolutely nothing at all. And love every minute of it. Tila's is warm, friendly and comfortable without any pretensions. Our guests feel at home with our unique family environment that makes dining here so special.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tila's Restaurante & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- UnfortunateFeedme123Dined on 2/22/2014Was very disappointed in our visit. Our reservation was for 8pm. One of our party showed up 30 minutes early and planned to sit at the bar. She was told the table was ready and sat. The waiter brought water to all seats and did not return until much later when he rudely asked "have you talked to your friends? Are they coming or what?" When the rest of us arrived, the host made a rather rude comment about how one of our friends had been there for "two hours!" The restaurant was not busy in the least.. When our waiter finally made it to us, he seemed to only care to speak to the one male member of our party. WORST margarita I've ever had. Food was good but small portions for high price and not worth the horrible service.
- Turn for the worstFoodielamDined on 2/14/2014Very disappointed with the dissarray of the restaurant.... Menus and cleaning supplies laying all over the bar. On a Friday night... On valentines day! It was so got inside so we asked to sit outside. They were happy to do so but even with 15 empty tables outside, they at us in the walkway RIGHT next to the valet and parking lot. Nice aroma of car fumes. Valet left my husbands cr running through dinner. AND they did not check me in for my open table reservation. This used to be one of my favorite places but it seems to have taken a turn for the worst.Special Features:
- I booked 830PM reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014I booked 830PM reservations thinking it would be less rushed, we arrived to an almost dead restaurant with no one to greet us for 10 min. Its as if on one of the most busy restaurant days no one was working. We were finally seated in the back surrounded by tables that were obviously not ready for customers and waited 10 min at least for a server. After getting drinks finally we ordered the chicive app which was too liquidy and just overall gross. We ordered the Special Snapper and Sea Bass with Shrimp, thinking I was going to get a large fillet for the $35 sounded good. What a joke, these dishes had less than 8oz fillet and tiny 35/40 shrimp, an insult at $35 each. Will not be going back, I don't know what happened to this place.Special Features:
- Tequila!JudyPDined on 2/8/2014Great tequila list! The food is "out of the box" Mexican...the Chilean Bass was unbelievably delicious. I had the salmon the time before and it was wonderful as well. Prices are reasonable and the place is small...which makes it perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME NYELlopezDined on 12/31/2013We were at Tila's for New Year's Eve. It was the best place to bring in the new year with DELICIOUS food, great drinks, AWESOME Motown music, & a vibrant, partying crowd. We love Tila's and recommend it for special occasions and for everyday lunch or dinner. ARRIBA!!!!!!Special Features:
- Motown NYEDaniMarieDined on 12/31/2013Another great New Years Eve at Tila's! The food was great, the entertainment and atmosphere even better. If you're looking for a fun, energy-filled celebration to say good-bye to one year and hello to a new one don't forget about this spot! Even the bad service couldn't break anyone's spirits. If only Tila's staff had half the customer service skills as she did and this place would be the gem of the city. She is a hardworking, dedicated woman and I always love making a trip to her place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Former Gem, Now a DudRedLobeliaDined on 11/23/2013I went for my birthday dinner last Saturday and we were all awfully disappointed (8 ppl). It really wasn’t what I expected, which in the past had been great. Unfortunately, I think “mediocre” is the new normal for Tila’s. The past 2 times I visited were not good either. They're "Nickle and Dimers". *They charge 1.99 for each chip refill..even when you order 2 large Fundidos! *They charge a $15.00 “cutting fee” to bring in a birthday cake. :( My husband and I have frequented Tila's several times a year over the past 8 years. Unfortunately, we won’t be returning anytime soon, and will certainly not be recommending this place to friends, as we often did in the past. Too bad. We will miss the good old Tila’s. Hopefully it will return soon.
- always fantastic foodJanetDined on 11/16/2013We've been going to Tila's restaurant ever since she was located at her original spot on Westheimer at Montrose. Every meal we've ever had at Tila's is one of the most flavorful experiences we've ever had. This is not your typical Mexican restaurant, but a place that offers some very special, delectable items, as well as the regular fare. The guacamole is the best in town -- when we were poor students, we used to go to Tila's just to split one. Be sure to squirt the provided key limes on it. The refried black beans are excellent, as are the carnitas, creamed spinach, beautiful fish entrees....we've never had a meal here that was not fantastic and memorable. Excellent bar as well, claims to serve authentic Mexico City drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!jamibannDined on 11/12/2013We really enjoyed our meal at Tila's. It was a weekday evening, so was quite quiet. We had a very helpful waitress who explained all the specials to us and recommended which margarita we should try! The menu is extensive and is far from being a 'run of the mill' Mexican experience; the margaritas were delicious too. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food...service was notHouFooderVIPDined on 11/3/2013Good food...service was not so good. When we walked in the place was empty but the staff seemed flustered. It took 25 minutes to get served a drink and guacamole. The entrees were great. Have been here before and service is usually much better. Food is always good (except I don't recommend the guacamole...it is more like avocado ceviche than guacamole).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderfulTexalliDined on 11/1/2013We've been to Tila's several times and enjoyed it every time. The patio has a nice ambiance, we were never rushed and the food was excellent. The tequila & food menus have something for everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Was That?MarkItRightDined on 11/1/2013We ate at Tila's early on Friday night, electing to sit on the patio. Our table tilted to the lightest pressure placed on any side of it. We relocated to a more stable table and after 10 - 15 minutes we were greeted by a woman who seemed confused and barely lucid throughout the process of our order, and the dellvery of our food. The food was not Mexican - more like some sort of fusion of Spanish and Cuban fare. The tiny Maragritas tasted like a sour limeade mix with very little if any tequila. As dusk approached, one of the service staff plugged in the patio lights on an extension cord and I received the benefit of a flood light directly in my face. Throw in dogs being allowed on the patio and it makes one ask, "What was that?"
- Service was very poor. Itsldudley323Dined on 10/19/2013Service was very poor. It wasn't crowded, yet our waitress kept forgetting about us. The food was fair at best. Would not recommend to a friend and do not plan to go back.
- Sabroso!PaquitoDined on 10/6/2013Brunch items were outstanding. Eggs benedict with steak and poached eggs with carne asada were cooked to perfection. The side potatoes were a great match and the bloody marys perfected the meal. Service was excellent and Ken is a great bartender. The great musicians on the patio forced us remain a little longer with another Mary!! Very nice!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Late Night SerivceoutoftownerVIPDined on 10/2/2013I can't say enough about how warm and generous the staf was. My friend's flight was delayed , soI searched opentable for a place open late on Tuesday. Found Tila's and clicked for an 11pm reservation. A short while later, the manager called to say they were going to close the kitchen at 10:30, and they wanted me to know. I drove over and placed my order at 10:25pm, explaining that my friend would come from the airport asap. In the end my friend didn't get to the restaurant till just past 11pm. Not only was the entire staff completely understanding, they kept our food warm, and chips and salsa coming for me as I waited. I told them I could just take it to go, but they insisted we stay and have a nice dinner after a long trip. So kind!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great!Tiffykat44Dined on 9/14/2013I've been going here for 10 years and the food is still amazing today as it was then. Tila is always there making sure of that personally too! Love this place. It's not tex mex, it's real Mexican. And it's wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Quality MexfoodieartDined on 8/31/2013We took my parents here for my Dad's 77th bday during Houston Restaurants Week. For Restaurants Week, restaurants provide a three or four course prix fixe menu, and Tila's was three course. Most of us had the shrimp and snapper ceviche as our appetizer course, which was excellent. For the entre, I had the mole enchiladas, which were very good, with creamed spinach and black beans as sides, both also very good. The mole is how I like it, chocolatey and a tad sweet. Others had the crab tostadas which they liked a lot. For dessert I had a nice small piece of tres leches. The base cake used is a strawberry shortcake, which was a unique twist and very good. Our waiter was very attentive and the noise level was perfect for the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very slow nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2013We went on a Thursday. Sat us at a table that was most annoying due to the overhead fan was going in front of the lights....kept causing a strobe light effect on the table. We pointed it out and they turned off the lights Only 3 other tables occupied. Very very long waits between courses. 19 minutes for the desert to come! House margaritas were tasteless and weak. Asked about frozen and the waiter replied very condescendly "oh. That's Tex Mex......We are not a Tex Mex restaraunt" And then sneered. Not coming back
- Food better than you are paying forByronDined on 8/24/2013Choose the Restaurant Week menu and found each selection delightful. The food was very very good - more fitting for a more expensive venue. Try the unfamiliar - you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Finally...GMorrisDined on 8/3/2013We have been wanting to try Tila's for several years, and finally made the trek down from The Woodlands to do so. The experience exceeded our expectations. Our 6:30pm reservation on a Saturday evening did not seem necessary, but the restaurant filled up quickly. As making a reservation is so easy on their website I recommend doing so anytime. Our waitress was wonderful, and upon hearing it was our first time proceeded to make us very comfortable and at home. Her recommendations were thorough, and tailored to our likes and dislikes. The complimentary chips, fried banana chips and salsas were the best we've had, and our dinners were flavorful, well presented and generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go and taste for yourself.Michelin3starsDined on 7/17/2013The price of the food doesn't match the flavor. Do not look the website pictures, they do not match what you are going to have (appearance).
- Last trip to Tilas, unfortunatelyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/11/2013Waitress seemed...hmmm...distracted. She also reported from th kitchen that there was a new chef and he did not know what he was doing. And the flavor of our dishes showed. Good margaritas! Food and service have been inconsistent in our several trips.Special Features:
- A real GemCarlosVIPDined on 6/26/2013I really liked Tila's the service was friendly and excellent but more notable is the food. I lived in Mexico for 2 years and became a fan of real Mexican food more than tex mex. Tila's has a real Mexican food menu. I had the Huachinango (red snapper) on garlic sauce and a great queso fundido with shrimp which reminded me of Veracruz. I would definitely recommend Tila's to anybody with a taste for Mexican food or want to explore that gastronomy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2013Quite an "authentic" menu with food made from scratch. Very fresh, very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night OutronlVIPDined on 5/25/2013My wife and I decided to have a night out alone - we decided on Tila's (which is where we had our son's high school graduation party). The food and service were excellent, the ambiance could have been a little better. Considering we were only 1 of 4 groups in the restaurant (others outside eating) - they could have moved us to a quieter location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/25/2013The food was served at room temperature, not hot. Food, for the most part, nothing special. The highlight of the meal was the corn on the Cobb . It was delicious.
- Portions to small for thelambVIPDined on 5/18/2013Portions to small for the Money for Mexican food. Tries too hard to fancy it up with the sauces.
- Mother's Day mishapLaHadDined on 5/12/2013I knew the holiday would bring a loss of service, but this was ridiculous. 40 minutes after being there we finally got our own waiter, only after personally alerting the maitre d, then after he asked a waiter to help and that waiter refused his request by walking off, I personally phoned e restaurant from our table in order to get drinks and actual menus. Will never return.
- Beautiful Night to Eat OutsideOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2013Tila's has a wonderful patio to sit out time and have a relaxing Mexican Dinner. Our food was good, our server was excellent and it was nice to sit outside on a beautiful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemGHinHoustonDined on 4/14/2013Really good Mexican food with an emphasis on food from the interior, not Tex-Mex (which I also love). The guacamole is made to order, fresh and delicious. Shredded beef enchiladas were excellent. An off the menu special - chile en nogada - was remarkable. Highly recommend the creamed spinach. The tres leches and coconut flan are worth saving a little room for (or loosening your belt and pigging out). During Sunday lunch, there was enjoyable, up-tempo music which added a lot to the atmosphere. Service was top notch.Special Features:
- Very short staffed that night.DisappointedDined on 3/13/2013Very short staffed that night. Not usually this slow. Valet tried to give me the wrong car. I have gone there before and had a much better experience. Will try again.Special Features:
- Good food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013I have heard great things about Tila's - including they had great margaritas! The margaritas were fantastic. However, the overall experience was marked a two because of the service. -Our waiter was nice, but fairly incompetent. We never received menus when we were seated, so when our waiter finally came to greet us after ten minutes and to take our order, we asked for them then. -It took forever for our meal to be cooked and the restaurant was not even crowded. I did have a pretty good flank steak once it was cooked though.Special Features:
- It had been years since IOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013It had been years since I dined at Tila's. I enjoyed it then and enjoyed it now!Special Features:
- fun brunch young and oldCocoadrilloVIPDined on 2/10/2013we recently adopted an older pet who loved it when the waiter brought her water and a little dish with treats on the patio. We humans both enjoyed out chevre-stuffed filets. We like to take our time after brunch with a cup of coffee and they did not rush us at all. The ingredients and imagination in what they offer is refreshing.Special Features:
- Service was slow. The waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2013Service was slow. The waiter said that the kitchen had gone down, whatever that means, but I noticed that other tables seems to get prompt service. Slow service was a theme throughout the whole night, from the first drinks that took to long, to the check, which I had to take to the bar to close out. The food was good (not great), but I don't consider the food a good value for the pricing. They had Victoria, but not Dos Equis.
- We have eaten at Tila's severalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/2/2013We have eaten at Tila's several times previously and always enjoyed the experience; and this time as well. One new feature distubs me; the new feature is not to show a menue. Rather, the wait person asks each diner what they might like to eat (fish, chicken, pork, etc) and then the wait persons suggests 1-2 entres. This novel and unique approach was fun to follow. Leter, however, we concluded it was not good for us. A fish dish was ordered by one of us and at checkout time he discovered it was much pricer than he forethought. Another diner was not happy with her dish and regretted not being able to scan alternatives from a menue. A fast verbal description of 1-2 dishes didn't convey a sense of the dishes, unless you ate them before.
- The food and drinks were okay,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013The food and drinks were okay, but the service was not good. I made a reservation, but that didn't really mean anything. They didn't get us a table ready, but there was still room on the patio since it was in the upper 40's outside and there were only 1 or 2 small floor heaters for the entire patio. Our table was not near a heater so we froze. It took an hour and a half to get our food from when we sat down. That would have been alright if we'd had drinks and appetizers the whole time, but after our first drink the waitress only stopped by once every 30 minutes and it was another 10 to 15 minutes to get our next round. The restaurant looks really cool, but staff did not have it together. This was a dissapointing experience.
- Good food and greT service...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/20/2013Good food and greT service... Authentic mexican plates ...small and cozySpecial Features:
- Food was good but the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/19/2013Food was good but the service made me feel uncomfortable. The waiter made an insult about my date being not hungry for a big meal. Who does that?
- As usual, the food was excellent,ClaudeVIPDined on 1/7/2013As usual, the food was excellent, the tequila menu was impressive, and my friends (including two Spaniards and an Ecuadorian) really liked it. We also had very attentive and friendly service.Special Features: