1100 Federal St
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
Contemporary IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tiffin-bistro.com/
- Phone: 2154680104x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday thru Thursday 4-11 pm
Dinner: Friday and Saturday 4-12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Contemporary Indian
- Executive Chef: Kirti Pant
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Contact Event Coordinator Brion Pizzi @ email@example.com
A word from Tiffin Bistro
Fun, lively, energetic Tiffin Bistro at 11th and Federal. The much anticipated addition to south philly's myriad of restaurants. Enjoy a modern twist on the flavors and spices of India with a dynamic menu created by Chef Kirti Pant of Junoon fame in NYC. Enjoy clever and intricate dishes like pepper crab, gunpowder scallops, chili garlic calamari. or indulge in our contempory twist on more traditional favorites like Malai Kofta or Chicken Tikka Masala. Chef Kirti Pant transforms Indian cuisine with only the freshest of ingredients. Be sure to make reservations...this place fills up fast!!!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tiffin Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (7)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (4)good for groups (4)great for lunch (4)romantic (1)special occasion (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- MoribundOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/17/2014Amazingly, we were the only diners in the restaurant on a Wednesday evening. The ambiance is wonderful and tastefully done. However, the food was served lukewarm and significantly underseasoned -- just guessing, but we suspect the microwave was very much in use. This restaurant should have a chef and approach that lives up to its potential. Sadly, our experience suggests they've given up.
- SteveVIPDined on 9/12/2014The food tends to take an extremely long time to come out, so expect to take your time when getting food. The food is great, but it takes a long time to come out.Special Features:
- tiffin bistro1psuVIPDined on 8/31/2014food was excellent. waiter knowledgeable and friendly. went on a holiday so it wasn't crowded and it was early-5pm.Special Features:
- Tiffin is delicious!FoodieLoveMoDined on 8/22/2014My boyfriend and I have been wanting to check this place out for a while now, hearing only great things. We found a living social deal and jumped right on the opportunity. The food was absolutely delicious and their cocktails were unique and great, as well! Definitely going back!Special Features:
- Delicious!doubleu1017Dined on 8/16/2014This was my first dining experience at Tiffin, and it won't be my last! We sat outside to take advantage of the awesome weather. Our waiter Jacob was excellent. He was very knowledgeable about the menu and made excellent recommendations. He was very attentive and provided excellent service. Our food was presented beautifully, and it was some of the best Indian food I have ever had. I must recommend the Peshawari Naan as it was a great addition to my meal. I work nearby, and I will definitely be taking advantage of their take out service often!Special Features:
- The following 29 reviews are from the Tiffin Bistro reviews archive.
- Very enjoyable dinner!TinaVIPDined on 5/10/2014Food was excellent - very flavorful, and also very reasonably priced! Service was friendly and waiter was very attentive. Ambiance was "ok" - the decor was nice but maybe could be dimmer lighting to create a more intimate feel. Cannot understand why this place was not packed on a Saturday night - would highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Spring menu & outdoor seatingBaldBabsVIPDined on 5/8/2014Went to Tiffin last week and then this week. Was surprised to find outdoor seating and a new spring menu since the last visit a week ago. Kept the Cauliflower app, hooray! Order two of those every visit! Waiter was very friendly and helpful. He seemed a bit overwhelmed by the new menu and new out door service but he'll figure it out. A very nice manager was tasting all the new spring dishes and shared with us so we could figure out what to order. Had a wonderful dinner starting with half price appetizers and $3 margarita's (Ohio bartender/manager really knows how to make margaritas!). Always ask how spicy a dish is. Peshawari Naan could definitely be a dessert item though it isn't listed as one. Definitely will go back!Special Features:
- Best Indian food ever but SPICYBaldBabsVIPDined on 4/30/2014Enjoyed the food, decor and waiter. Very clean. Disappointed that two menu items we wanted to order were not available very, very early on a Wednesday. Maybe they restock on Thursday for the weekend. Half price apps and drinks from 4:30 to 6:30 M-F and Saturdays 9 PM to 11 PM is a great deal. When they say a bit spicy they means really spicy. Two items we ordered (one app and one entree) were overly hot (spicy) so now we know to say please make it mild. I like spice/hot but they both were too much. Cauliflower app was wonderful! Wish they offered brown rice or whole grain brown basmati not just white basmati. I'd be willing to pay a bit for a whole grain option. Overall a restaurant I'd return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant SurpriseBoBoDined on 4/24/2014I did not expect the great options of very unique foods. Loved it and will return.Special Features:
- Tiffinmw215Dined on 4/5/2014We had a LivingSocial deal for Tiffin which came with 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, 2 classic naan, and 2 desserts. This was our first visit to Tiffin (11th & Federal location). We started off with the Aloo Papri Chaat and the Chili Garlic Calamari. The calamari was underwhelming - under seasoned and very chewy. We waited an hour+ for our entrees to come out - the Chicken Vindaloo and Lamb Roganjosh - both of which were very good. The lamb was very tender - the vindaloo was a bit too spicy for the wife's liking but it was flavorful. The classic naan was also delicious. For dessert they only had the Rasmalai so we got two of those. I'm not so much of a dessert person but it was very good. The wait for the food was a bit aggravating.
- Great as alwaysAshleyDined on 4/5/2014This is the fourth Tiffin in the city I have visited and while all are unique in service and presentation, they all have in common delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in South Philadelphia!gemgirlDined on 3/9/2014I have always loved Tiffin's cuisine, but I had to rely on delivery as their closest restaurant was too far for me to get to on public transportation. Luckily, Tiffin Bistro is very convenient for those of us in Center City. The menu had a large selection and everyone in my party raved about the food! My party of 6 shared 3 apps and 4 entrees. The drinks were excellent too. We had a great time and will definitely return!!Special Features:
- Good Food & Service - SLOW KitchenAFK1Dined on 2/14/2014We had a 7:15 reservation and we were seated as soon as we arrived. We didn't leave until 10:45. The restaurant was full and the waiter was great but the kitchen could not handle it. Thank goodness the food was good. We will try it again but, if the experience is the same, that will be the last time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fresh and flavorful meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/31/2014The food was very, very good. Prob. the best Indian food we have had in a long time. Perfect balance of flavor and spice. We will go back for sure. Very helpful and personal service-Special Features:
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/6/2013The pork belly had to be sent back because it was incredibly overcooked (came out rock hard). The other entree we ordered (lamb) was better, but not fantastic.Special Features:
- Great for a night out!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/12/2013My friend and I recently dined at Tiffin. The food was delicious and our server was extremely pleasant. They now have their liqour license, and the bar looks great! I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been a fan of a fewLBIndianDined on 11/8/2013I have been a fan of a few Tiffins in the area but this one must be using different recipes or something, The portions were extrememly small and the food was terrible. The only seasoning recognizable throughout the entire meal was salt. The pork belly was over cooked and tasted like extra salty beef jerky, the tikka masala tasted like salty water and the nann was soggy.
- Nom Nom naanLauraVIPDined on 10/22/2013We had a wonderful time celebrating my birthday. Our server was attentive and friendly. The food service was timed well. The food was authentic and cooked well. Loved the interior design and the intimacy it created.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great but not bad....MarMarDined on 10/11/2013There was ups and downs to my visit at Tiffin Bistro. I was disappointed by the service, they messed up our entree orders, forgot our Naan and even though we arrived before other patrons, we were served almost last. Though I have to give the props for their Cauliflower Bezule(spelling may be off..) Their chicken tikki Masala had a weird after taste. I'm not sure. Though I am a big believer of trying new places...but I probably won't be going back to Tiffin Bistro again.
- Goumet food at reasonable pricesHarold1Dined on 10/5/2013The food we had was superb. Cauliflower and eggplant appetizers followed by main dishes of scallops, lamb, and chicken were plentiful and delicious in the subtlety and variety of their seasoning. The chocolate desert was wicked, and should be approached with caution. The service was excellent, the dishes and silverware pleasant to use. The prices are moderate. The one thing missing was a wine and beer list. But it is easy, and cheaper, to BYOB. The setting is clean and unpretentious, the seats re comfortable, the tables roomy. We plan to try everything on the menu! We know our friends will enjoy Tiffin.Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/20/2013Always good food and great service. The pesto naan is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Greatrpf27VIPDined on 9/2/2013Tiffin Bistro is a terrific addition to the neighborhood. On Monday evening, we had a group of six there and it could not have been better. This is middle-of-the-road Indian cuisine, prepared thoughtfully. All the standards are here like Chicken Tikka Masala and they are done so well. The interconnected rooms are pleasant and the noise level is great. Our group was able to converse easily, even with two other big groups in the place. Tiffin Bistro is a big step down from Tashan but a big step up from the more take-out oriented Tiffins. Quite simply, I love having them in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Not Authentic, Generic AtmosphereDinShriftenDined on 8/23/2013We heard great things about Tiffin, and were excited for it's entry into the neighborhood. The food was a let down. Many dishes seemed Americanized. Pesto nan bread? Why? The Aloo appetizer was described as Indian Nachos, and looked very unappetizing. The entrees took a very long time to come out—we found ourselves "turtling" (turning around to look if out food was coming). Atmosphere is generic, with random top 40s music, and two big TV screens playing Nascar and Basketball. I would have preferred traditional Indian tunes. Also the wait staff seemed bored, and were casually hanging around chit chatting. We will not be returning.
- great neighborhood additionPhillyFoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2013Food is a bit more elaborate than the standard Tiffin menu! Loved the cauliflower app.Special Features:
- Indian food in South PhillyjojofunbunDined on 8/14/2013It's so convenient to have an Indian restaurant in South Philadelphia. I recommend the cauliflower bezule to start; it was super delicious. The saag paneer and pork belly massala were also fairly good. Our server was pleasant and our orders came out promptly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all around!JessicaDined on 8/10/2013Great Indian fusion and excellent service. We will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Foodkp1111Dined on 8/4/2013We were concerned about spice level and degree of heat based on a previous review, but gave it a try anyways. We were glad we did! The food was amazing. The eggplant chaat had just the perfect mix of flavors. The saag paneer was great too! The service was excellent. We couldn't have asked for a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The appetizers were wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2013The appetizers were wonderful but the main course was sub par to say the least. My lamb was overcooked and uneventful and the pork belly was odd in both sweet flavor and texture. You could barely recognize that it was pork belly. I'll stick with the pizzas at tiffin etc
- Our go-to IndianjbphillyVIPDined on 7/12/2013We have been fans of Tiffin and Tashan for years, so Tiffin Bistro was a welcome addition to our neighborhood. The food has many of our favorites from Tiffin with wonderful additions showing that the menu was carefully planned. The staff is attentive, but not overbearing. Understanding that many people are new to Indian cuisine, they are happy to explain the menu or dishes as needed. The restaurant has a great vibe - perfect for casual date night or a girls' night. This has quickly become one of our regular spots!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not traditional IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/5/2013And not quite as good as the original. Still worth a trip, absolutely. Thoroughly enjoyed, and it is great to have an option for Indian in East Passyunk/Passyunk Square.
- great additionrpf27VIPDined on 6/15/2013Tiffin Bistro is a GREAT addition to the neighborhood. I have dined at Tashan (their upscale Indian restaurant - which was fantastic but a more formal experience) but never at one of the Tiffin take-outs. Then, to see that their Bistro was opening in our neighborhood was pretty exciting. We waited a week and went last Saturday. It was everything we had hoped for: creative indian cuisine served in a cozy, comfortable space. We loved every minute.Special Features:
- Good food, but not authenticOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/15/2013The food was hit or miss, which surprised me because of the rave reviews I've heard of this family of restaurants. For appetizers we got the Cauliflower Bezule and Chili Chicken which were both delicious. The chicken was pretty spicy and a hearty portion for a starter, and the cauliflower was very unique and flavorful. However the entrees just didn't seem authentic. Lamb Korma and Tellicherry Chicken were lacking the spice (depth of flavor as well as heat) that is signature to good Indian cuisine. The meat was also pretty dry- obviously it wasn't stewed in the sauces, but cooked and mixed in before serving.Special Features:
- Fantastic!JohnDined on 6/10/2013My friend and I noticed that tiffin bistro opened up in south philly so we wanted to see if it was just as good as the tiffin on Girard. We shared the vegetable samosa and the lamb & chicken kebab as starters, then we had the chicken tikki masala and lamb korma for entrees. Everything was fantastic and the staff was very knowledgeable and attentive. Great value as the food was fresh and delicious yet we only ended up spending about forty dollars (twenty each). We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were there only a weekSandraVIPDined on 6/9/2013We were there only a week into their opening. There were very few people in the restaurant, but the outside tables were full. As is the case with Tiffin, the food was excellent. This is definitely a neighborhood and not expensive. They do not yet have their liquor license, weren't able to produce a glass of iced tea, but these are minor flaws that will be corrected in a short time.Special Features: