Tierra at Old Town Hall
90 Post Road East
Westport, CT 06880Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tierra at Old Town Hall
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tierrawestport.com/
- Phone: 2035574850x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch 11.30 to 3PM
Siesta Menu 3-5PM
Friday Saturday: 5-11PM
Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 10.30AM-2.30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Sue Torres
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Tierra at Old Town Hall
Experience another level of dining at Tierra, a Latin inspired eatery in the town of Westport, Connecticut. Enjoy local produce and products, and a variety of flavors to inspire your appetite and elevate your dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLatin American
Tierra at Old Town Hall - Best Restaurants in Westport ›
Tierra at Old Town Hall reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (32)great for outdoor dining (25)romantic (13)great for lunch (12)hot spot (12)good for groups (10)vibrant bar scene (9)special occasion (8)late-night find (5)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- PopsyDined on 10/16/2014Really thought the food was exceptional, particularly since we caught it on Restaurant Week with the special menu. Great flavors, and unique Latin dishes. Found no complaint with any of the dishes. The entire staff was very prompt and cordial. While the restaurant is located in the basement of the old town hall, it has been transformed with some design that suggests a place modern Barcelona. However, it was very noisy, perhaps because there is little separation from the bar area.Special Features:
- A must try in Westport...DonGDined on 10/7/2014We tried Tierra on the recommendation of a friend and were not disappointed. The atmosphere was quiet and slick, the service was perfect and the food was a total home run. The Chicken Chilaquile appetizer in particular was unbelieveable, we could have had that as the entree alone. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad serviceMagicMarkerDined on 9/20/2014As often happens in local restaurants, serving people are not well trained or, in some cases, have no concept of what restaurant service is all about. Our server erred on the not well trained side of the equation. Food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed our mealswookie5876Dined on 9/14/2014There were 4 in our party and we all enjoyed our meals. Each dinner was prepared just we expected. The flavors were distinctive and the presentations was quite good. Our waiter was very helpful with describing in detail how each dish would be prepared. The guacamole was delicious! Try the hanger steak and the shrimp and lobster risotto (this was a special the night we were there). The menu is short but with good variety. If you like tequila, which I don't, this is probably a place you should try. Their list of tequilas is just as long as the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch food, but...tymelyronVIPDined on 9/13/2014Food was fantastic, with tasty beef tacos and summer corn soup for appetizer. The "Abuela's Chicken" and the bronzino were among the best chicken and fish dishes we have ever had, moist and flavorful. The coconut cream pie was heaven on a plate. The only problems were the pacing of the delivery of the food: just right for the appetizer, too quick with the main courses, and then too slow for dessert; also the noise level got higher as the room got fuller, some sound baffling should be added. But definitely go for the food.Special Features:
- Good, butOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014Really enjoyed the corn soup, BBQ tacos, scallops, and bronzini. But the pork carnitas were extremely dry and flavorless. Don't order the pork carnitas, but everything else is very good--including Michelle's pie and key lime tart
- WestportfactorWestportfactorDined on 9/4/2014Food was consistently well done with typical Lain food gussied up in imaginative and effective ways, I thought menu, both drinks and food. was a bit pricey. Service was a bit stretched but bus boys were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingWestport1Dined on 9/4/2014Innovative and delicious cuisine! A little hard to find as the signage is poor. It is in the basement of the old town hall. Ample off street parking.Special Features:
- Glad they arrived in WestportjlminvVIPDined on 8/27/2014This is an exciting new restaurant in Westport that will survive because: 1-the food is interesting,very good and not priced badly 2-the wine list is interesting 3-the space is cool 4-the service is very good 5-There is a vibe to the place Don't miss this one!! We will continue to come to this place for many more good timesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the visitOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/27/2014Definitely enjoyed my brief visit. Decided to eat light at the bar before a theatre performance. Interesting menus with numerous, enticing items to chose from. Edward, the bartender knew the menu very well & guided us accordingly. The presentation and flavors of each item were terrific. My only concern is that I felt the portions were somewhat small...for the price. They are still new & working on little details but I would definitely return. Unfortunately the space is downstairs in a historic building so once winter comes, the lighting will need to be perfect to make it inviting, especially with the low ceilings.Special Features:
- Promising but ambiance needs workWestportAliceDined on 8/22/2014This was our first visit. On arrival, found the indoors overly airconditioned and noisy so took an outside table. The passageway is strung with lights but what should look festive has a rather ghastly blue pallor; they used LED lights which does neither food nor diners any favors. Very likeable and professional waitstaff. Most of the food was creative and well seasoned altho my fish tacos were a little limp and hard to eat. Best choices were the small plates and appetizers; make a meal out of those. If you like Latin-inspired dishes, give it a try. . .the bar area has seating which seems convivial, and they have an attractive private dining room/wine cellar at the back. Interesting Uruguayan wine options by the glass, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tastesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014Food was delicious and the presentation lovely. This husband and wife team are blending South American tastes with great depth. The plates are well arranged and each dish, though Mexican in feel was far above the routine Mexican palette. We have eaten there twice and the second time was better than the first.Special Features:
- Food Delish, service a problemOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/2/2014Food very good..unusual flavors, interesting combinations. Limited menu. Pricey. Didn't honor reservation and there was problem in getting our order in a timely fashion. I think they have some logistics to work out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New AdditionKetchDined on 8/1/2014We had a lovely dinner outside. The noise level inside did sound quite loud so we were glad to be outside. The service was attentive and the food was delicious. The portions were a bit small. I had scallops for my main entree. They were very tasty but only 3. For the price I would have expected 4. The Kale and hearts of palm salad was good, but again light on the hearts of palm. My friends had the hanger steak which they both liked and my husband had the chicken dish that was also good!Special Features:
- New LatinwfoodieVIPDined on 7/29/2014Restaurant opened recently, and this was my third time returning (first time for lunch). We dined on the outside patio. Umbrella really helped when sun shifted. Food slow in coming out from the kitchen, and restaurant was not packed. However, the food was innovative Latin, and a nice addition to the Westport restaurant scene.Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2014We went in for my mom's birthday and had the best time. Not only was the food amazing but the service was impressive. Coming from someone in the industry who has had horrible service all over fairfield county it was refreshing to dine here and not feel frustrated. I loved the lamb arepas and the key lime pie is a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/23/2014Excellent food. Enjoyed the interesting menu. Latin and healthy. Great tequila cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experienceDanaVIPDined on 7/23/2014Tierra, new restaurant with a Latin flair, is already a popular place. It is small but there are additional tables for outside cafe dining. There is a full bar and very good wine selections moderately priced. Appetizers were tuna ceviche and spring pea soup, wonderful flavor without spices overpowering the dishes. The entrees were a whole grilled bronzini, pork carnitas and shrimp tacos, a special of the day. Everything was prepared perfectly. The tortillas served with the dishes are homemade, small and thin. Guacamole is made fresh several times a day. In an historic building in downtown Westport, it's a bit hard to find but free parking is available in a lot behind the building. A wonderful dinner at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- Just warm not hotOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/22/2014Friendly service ...not a great atmosphere ....food served little warmer than room temperature..... Lacking flavor
- A hitIbalvVIPDined on 7/20/2014Open 5 weeks and we've been here 4 times! What else can we say?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best new restaurant in WestportbradsiffVIPDined on 7/20/2014Food is creative and delicious with a Latin/Mexican flair. Service is excellent. The space is cozy and comfortable inside - great bar area. Will be part of our regular rotation!Special Features:
- New Hot spot!jlminvVIPDined on 7/19/2014This is an exciting new entry for the Westport scene. The old Westport Town hall is the setting, but it sure has changed. The owners have done a great job transforming the basement space into an exciting, inviting gem. The South American flavored food is presented beautifully and the staff knows how to describe the flavors very well. There are little things to iron out, but this place is a winner. Try sitting outside while the weather is warmSpecial Features:
- Fun for drinks and appsFoodluverDined on 7/18/2014My friend and I went here for dinner and split a few appetizers and a main entree. The appetizers were great and the drinks were delicious! The entree was not worth the price. If you're looking to eat a large meal I do not recommend this place. The outdoor seating is quaint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedEatoutoftenVIPDined on 7/17/2014Out of several main courses. When food came it was not hot. We were told we had to order everything at once or else the kitchen gets angry with the server. Will waut a year before returning.
- Great FoodBobsviewVIPDined on 7/12/2014This was our second visit, and based on our positive first experience we invited our friends to join us. This time the service was very weak. Actually embarrassing. The front needs work: We waited at the reception desk for 2 staff members to recognize that we were standing there - they were so engrossed with the computer screen that my wife had to interrupt their mesmerized focus before they noticed us. Sloppy; The bar service is slooooooooooooooow! Q:How long does it take to get a chilled vodka straight up? A: 10 - 15 minutes! The bar staff needs to focus; We ordered 2 bottles of wine and the waitress opened them and poured without asking any of us to taste it first. They kept it chilled and we had to keep asking for a refill. Amateurish.Special Features:
- See my last reviewWestportfoodieDined on 7/11/2014I dined here two weeks ago and not much has changed - while the food was sensational and so tasty (the wild salmon infused with tequila appetizer was delicious), the service polished it was still maddeningly slow between courses - a half hour wait before drinks arrived, and then 25 minutes between each course. The restaurant has been open for a month now and this interminable wait between courses should still not be happening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but small portionsCTfoodieDined on 7/11/2014Took my friend to Tierra to celebrate her birthday. We had a lovely lunch, but we had some issues. The pros: Friendly staff, excellent food, great (lunch) menu (though may be too small or limited for some). The cons: The inside was freezing and the outdoor seating got blisteringly hot. (You literally couldn't touch the metal table without being burned.) The "special" margarita the server recommended was tiny -- a third the size of the regular margarita but more expensive! We wound up ordering two, which made drinks much more than the price of lunch! Also, be warned, many of the dishes on the lunch menu are appetizer size -- even though the server, when we asked her, said they were full size portions. That said, would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great space. Needs some tweaks.OutandAbout3Dined on 7/9/2014Excited to have a new spot in town! The space is well done and the bar area is cozy and inviting. I have been twice for dinner since the opening and have had a very good (but not amazing yet) experience each time. The service is a bit slow. It took a long time to get a cocktail at the table and then it felt like forever to both order and receive another. On my second visit, I chose wine thinking that it would be easier but they were out of both bottles that I selected. We finally found a bottle but had to wait for it to be chilled. On both visits, all of the food was delicious but again, it felt like a very long time to get our server to take the order and execute it. I hope they stay and address the growing pains. Then it will be great.Special Features:
- Upscale MexicandspreisDined on 7/4/2014We had a great meal at Tierra on July 4th. We were warmly greeted by the staff, and the service was excellent. Sue Torres, the chef and co-owner, made the rounds and chatted with us which was really nice. Some the dishes we ordered were the guacamole with homemade chips, Panko crusted oysters, BBQ beef tacos, Abuela's Pollo a la Plancha, Achiote-Rubbed Bronzini, and a great chorizo grinder. We ate a lot, and everything was really delicious. The place has a cool vibe and a nice bar as well. Oh, and the cocktails---very good. We will return!Special Features:
- Innovative and friendlylovetoreviewVIPDined on 7/2/2014Wonderful choices, deliciously prepared, elegantly presented. Latin inspired. Great for vegans. Innovative margaritas. Friendly staff and chef/owners.Special Features:
- Terrific but long wait for foodWestportfoodieDined on 6/24/2014The innovative menu was varied and executed tastefully with beautifully plated and tasty food. The service was terrific and setting very calm and well done with terrific drinks. Our only complaint was the long wait between courses for the food, but the restaurant has only been open for 2 weeks so hopefully this kink will be rectified. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- The following 7 reviews are from the Tierra at Old Town Hall reviews archive.
- Nice new spotOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/21/2014The menu and food are good and different from other local options. Just thought the prices were too high given he portion size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TierraBobsviewVIPDined on 6/21/2014Fantastic LatAm food. Great addition to the Westport restaurant scene. Looking forward to sampling more options.Special Features:
- Great food!karenski6Dined on 6/20/2014Had a delicious meal there lst friday night, the food and service was AMAZING, looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- Not what I expected.EKG1VIPDined on 6/18/2014Had high hopes for this new place. Great menu, interesting re-do of the space. Sadly, the food was a let down. Perhaps the kitchen is afraid us "gringos" can't handle seasoning, every dish was lacking some zip. The best dishes on the table were the dip served with the corn bread (nice touch) and the sauce served with the chilaquiles. Great flavor in those 2. Tuna ceviche was just average (too heavy on the citrus and the tuna was not all that high grade), steak was a basic steak but interestingly enough, served with a wonderfully flavorful potato salad. Tacos were average and the chilaquiles were bland. Portions were good for some dishes but 12$ for a mashed up avocado (advertised as guac.) is a bit much even for Westport.
- Nice add to Westport Rest. ScenetuggerVIPDined on 6/15/2014We took the family for father's day dinner and once we found the restaurant with help from a friendly employee outside (the restaurant is downstairs - in the Old Town Hall Bldg) we were impressed with the stylish decor and beautiful tufted banquette in the bar area. I was excited to find some interesting and delicious tequila based cocktails on the menu. The Organic Chicken Chilaquiles were fantastic! I had the scallops- which were cooked perfectly - and served with true Fresno chiles- hard for a Californian to find here in Connecticut - and quite delicious. We are going back this weekend with friends to try some more of the menu. Give it a try- it is definitely a nice add to tow town!Special Features:
- Not yet ready...BonVivantDined on 6/15/2014I went to Tierra w/family but I don't think they were quite ready for service. The space is nice and the staff were friendly. The taste of the food was decent but overpriced for what you get. The entree portions were more like tapas. No sides came with the dishes to soak up the liquid from the salsas. The plates were too shallow and when the food was served and picked up, food and liquid slid off the plates onto the table. When we asked for hot sauce, they didn't have any. No wonder the Bloody Mary tasted like vodka with tomato juice. It wasn't spicy at all although they made an effort to correct this. Overall, I won't recommend this place YET. I'm willing to go back once they've been open a while and try again. Then make a final decision.
- new place in WestportIllmcDined on 6/14/2014This is a very interesting restaurant in a historic building downtown. I think it's only been open a week, but you can tell it's a winner. We shared three things: Tuna ceviche, chicken chilaquiles, and the kale salad. Fresh, vibrant and very tasty. And the spicy paloma is a great drink. Welcome to Westport, Chef Torres!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.