Tidepools - Grand Hyatt Kauai
1571 Poipu Rd.
Poipu, HI 96756Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Tidepools - Grand Hyatt Kauai
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.grandhyattkauai.com/
- Phone: 8082406456x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jayson Thompson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Tidepools - Grand Hyatt Kauai
For the ultimate in ambiance, delectable food and stellar service, Tidepools is the place. This quintessential Hawaiian setting has a backdrop of waterfalls with thatched roof bungalows that seemingly float above tropical lagoons. Savor contemporary Hawaiian style cuisine in this distinctive open-air setting. Diners rave about the exceptional service and fresh fish and steak options with a unique island flair including macadamia nut crusted mahimahi, grilled opah or a succulent steak. Salads feature fresh island-greens and the desserts are luscious. Don't miss this delightful experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Tidepools - Grand Hyatt Kauai - Best Restaurants in Poipu ›
Tidepools - Grand Hyatt Kauai reviews from OpenTable diners
186 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
romantic (139)special occasion (130)scenic view (117)great for outdoor dining (111)fit for foodies (68)kid-friendly (20)notable wine list (19)neighborhood gem (18)good for groups (17)hot spot (10)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- BrunerDined on 9/15/2014This setting was lovely.For something speacial this would be your place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningSteveDined on 9/14/2014From sitting down at a window tabe with a view of the coy pond this was an amazing night. Best meal of our trip Food was outstanding, fresh fish so delicious. Tasty cocktails and excellent friendly service.Special Features:
- Lackluster preparationDaveDined on 9/11/2014Ate here on my honeymoon the other night. Had Wasabi seared Ahi and my wife the Hawaiian plate which included miso glazed fish. While the quality of the fish itself was excellent, both entrees were tremendously bland. The coconut lime black rice with the Ahi tasted like neither. And the ceviche was milky and bland not fresh and citrusy as expected. The poke was fresh and good. The servers were very pleasant, but I poured the wine all night. They were not interested in making a cocktail available at another bar on the property. Not at all what I'd expect from a resort of this caliber and menu at these prices. A disappointment...next time I'm going to Roy's. Stevenson's Library, on the other hand, has limited but excellent sushi.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceEdesiaDined on 9/11/2014My wife and I had a great dining experience at Tidepools. The food and service were great and well worth the price. The scallops were probably the best I've ever had. My wife had the prime rib and I had the Opah. While the prime rib was better than good, the Opah was fantastic! Don't forget the coconut ice cream for dessert!Special Features:
- PERFECT!KyalohaDined on 9/10/2014After a disappointing dinner the night before at the Kauai grill in the st. Regis, Tidepools was absolutely perfect. The atmosphere, the seating the service and most importantly the FOOD. It was absolutely delicious from start to finish. By far the best food we had in Kauai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KaimiVIPDined on 9/10/2014Informed restaurant in advance that we were celebrating a birthday. Aside from the server asking whose birthday, nothing special. Disappointing for a restaurant of this caliber.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/9/2014Our second visit during this vacation. Just as wonderful as before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- By far the best dinner...JessxcomDined on 9/9/2014The food here was amazing. We started with the scallops... Yum! Then my husband had the Hawaiian catch and I had the opah. Wow is all I can say. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable about each of the items on the menu. Very helpful if you want to try a new kind of fish. And the chocolate lava cake with ice cream was a great way to finish off a delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ambiance and very good foodgogirl1213VIPDined on 9/8/2014Absolutely exceptional romantic ambiance and very good food as well as excellent service. The perfect meal to start our honeymoon. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the worst serviceSunnyDined on 9/6/2014The waitress service is the worst that I've ever been. The food is some salty, I was very disappointed at Tidepools.
- Perfect!CassDined on 9/5/2014Everything about our dinner at Tidepools was outstanding. Our request for special seating was honored (to sit by the koi pond); the food was delicious ; the service was above excellent! The scenic views of the Hyatt's grounds are spectacular. Tidepools has always been one of my top choices for a special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kauai GemOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/4/2014We've been going to Kauai for years. We have our "favorites" list for dinner. We went to Tidepools for the first time and it is now not only on our list but it's at the TOP! Amazing ambiance, great service, food was incredible!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/4/2014Excellent restaurant! Sitting next to the koi ponds was very special. The food was delicious--seafood and steak, alike. The servers made sure that we had everything we needed. We're going back in a few days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dinner in Poipu, Kaua'iOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Dinner at Tidepools was a wonderful experience for my sister and me. Service was attentive and friendly without being intrusive. Our food was delicious and well presented. Sis's fish was perfectly seared, while my chicken had a delectable sauce. Our desserts, molten chocolate cake and apple cobbler, were out of this world. We had a lovely waterside table and enjoyed watching the koi swimming next to us as dusk descended on Poipu. Overall, a fantastic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good mealhavingagreattimeinkauaiVIPDined on 8/29/2014Always can depend on this beautiful site to have fresh fish and yummy desert delivered by a friendly waiter.Special Features:
- Food very blandFrustratedDined on 8/29/2014Disappointing entrees. Tuna a bit over cooked and no seasoning. For any price, very disappointing.Special Features:
- tropicalblogger1Dined on 8/28/2014We love Tidepools and go there every year with our daughter, son-in-law and two grandchildren when they come home to Hawaii for their annual visit. The location is beautiful and is walkable from our timeshare at the Point at Poipu. We only wish we would get our request to have an island more often. It is perfect for our small family and it gives our kids a chance to get up a bit and not bother anyone, but we have only gotten an island once even though we are willing to go for a very early dinner. Mahalo for the chance to comment.Special Features:
- Best Meal in KauaiDiscerningDinerDined on 8/27/2014We chose Tidepools based on ambiance and convenience, but fell in love with it because of the creative and well executed menu. Even the kids menu was a cut above, although our daughter ended up with the petit prime rib - judged to be "the best ever". The seafood sampler was exquisite. And the Hawaiian Snapper was as delicious as it was beautiful - tied up in a banana leaf bow. Service was excellent -- our waiter's recommendation if the crap cakes was spot on, and the succulent morsels of crab literally melted in our mouths. Warm rolls with truffle butter started the meal on the right note, and the salads were fresh, gorgeously plated, and not overdressed. We were too full for dessert, but were tempted by the apple cobbler.Special Features:
- Amazing menu....BatteryParkBillVIPDined on 8/26/2014Delicious food and delicious dessert choices. Definitely a must if in Poipu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food in beautiful settingDelilah822Dined on 8/26/2014Incredible birthday dinner! All of our food was amazing, but the crab cakes were definitely our favorite dish of the night. Our server was Dallas, and he was knowledgable, attentive without being intrusive, and entertaining. Our table was right on the koi pond, which is especially beautiful when lit by tiki torches. Prices were surprisingly reasonable. It was a really fantastic dinner and we'll definitely be returning to Tidepools frequently.Special Features:
- Great late night diningLoveHawaiiDined on 8/23/2014We were looking for a nice restaurant to celebrate the last night of our Kauai vacation. The food was delicious (the baby broccoli was a little too tough for our senior, but the rest of us liked it!). Two of us had the prime rib and beef and both were tender and tasty. Appreciated that there was a diverse menu, e.g. chicken for one of our party who likes it simple but tasty. Would come here again to try brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unexpected service qualityLasagnaismyjamDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I are on our honeymoon and booked this dinner reservation months ago. The view, ambiance, and food are stellar!! While our waiter was very nice, we had to wait a long time to place our order, he forgot to give us the specials, and after dinner we did not see him for 30-45 minutes. We had to ask the other staff twice if we could see a dessert menu. Everything else was amazing, though we did expect better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vacation enderlynneDined on 8/20/2014We searched to find the perfect place to end our vacation. This could not have been more wonderful. Our waiter Rob made us feel comfortable, the food was amazing and let's not forget the desserts. Thank you.Special Features:
- Wonderful!Delighted2dineDined on 8/19/2014Service was superb, setting beautiful, and food was creative and delicious!Special Features:
- AmazingBTTTDined on 8/19/2014If you're on Kauai with your significant other, Tidepools is a must. It's expensive, but well worth it. The portions will fill you up and the food is delicious. The layout and scenery is perfect and if you get there around 6pm, you'll most likely get a table along the edge of the koi ponds. Afterwards, the surrounding property of the Grand Hyatt is a great place for a little stroll and some photos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful and deliciouslayerscaDined on 8/19/2014Given the reviews we'd read of Tidepools before eating there, we expected a wonderful experience. We were not disappointed. The service was wonderful, as was the atmosphere and view out all the open windows to the beautiful beach bordering the Hyatt. Having tried mai tais at almost every restaurant we ate at and not finding one we thought was excellent, the mai tai at Tidepools was absolutely the best. Impressive wine list, including the Hyatt's house brand, Canvas, which was surprisingly good and of course affordable. The fish in all of our entrees was prepared beautifully - Opa, Mahi Mahi and the seafood platter. And the molten chocolate cake for dessert - yum!Special Features:
- 25th anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014Beautiful setting to celebrate with my beautiful bride of 25 years. Service & food were great. Wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tidepools RestaurantDanyceVIPDined on 8/17/2014Such a beautiful setting. A must for anyone going to KauaiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDiscerningpalateVIPDined on 8/16/2014Neither the food nor the service lived up to our expectations. Besides pricey, nothing about this place was special, although it came recommended. It felt like a typical big hotel restaurant with rather unsophisticated dishes that suffer from the unfortunate 'supersized' syndrome: portions are big but not very refined - quantity over quality in this case.
- Setting makes this a good choicedstump2Dined on 8/16/2014My wife and I celebrated our 40th anniversary. Our daughter gave us a gift card for the Grand Hyatt and since Tidepools was listed as romantic, we decided to dine there. With tip, expect to spend in the $200 range. We started with drinks in the bar area and then had our dinner. I had the prime rib and it was outstanding. I could have cut it with a fork it was that tender. My wife had a mixed seafood dish that included a half a lobster tail. It was good but for the price, it should have included a whole tail. We split the lava cake for dessert and it was really good. While the food was good, I think the ambiance of dining next to their large koi pond lit by tiki lamps made the setting perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beFoodapprci8torsVIPDined on 8/15/2014Food is excellent. Amazing fish. But service was lacking this time. Even though we had a reservation we waited 15 min for our table and they seated people who arrived after us before they seated us. Then it was almost an hour before our meal came out. Again, people who were seated after us got their meals before we did. During that hour no one filled our water glasses or offered extra bread. Just felt like we were not a priority. Lost some of its magic for us.Special Features:
- 10th timelonoDined on 8/15/2014Celebrating anniversary in poi pu 35 years.fish birds ..ambience excellent dinner, ALoha until we meet againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKluv2eatDined on 8/15/2014Not sure what the hype is about. Food was just ok and overly priced. $14 for 2 prawns as add on $30 for a lobster tail add on insane!!!Special Features:
- Wait Staff Unfriendly1stKauaildnDined on 8/14/2014Exceptional food! Beautiful! However, having made reservations one month in advance, we were placed with full view of kitchen doors. There were empty tables in every alcove as it was the night of the Grand Hyatt Luau. Our wait or was unfriendly, arrogant and only spoke or assisted if we were ordering. He appeared to be bothered for having to serve us. Another staff and another table... I would have gladly given five stars.
- Perfect in Paradisesfg68VIPDined on 8/13/2014Outstanding meal..excellent service, great food, beautiful setting! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Beautiful spot to dine.DisappointedDined on 8/12/2014Tidepools was a beautiful restaurant to dine in - bungalows surrounded by a koi-filled lagoon. My husband and I enjoyed the Polenta Crusted Scallops, and for our entrees the Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi (must order this!) and the Local Ahi. All dishes cooked very well, with great ingredients. Quieter and more serene vibe, great for a couple or family. If you are here after sunset, you will also enjoy the lighting of the tiki-torches!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was below averageSteakDined on 8/8/2014We told the waitress twice that my wife's steak should be well done which means no pink meat on the inside. It was only cooked to medium rare. What can you say about a restaurant that cannot cook a steak properly? That cost me $46. We were among the first people to arrive at 5:30pm. My snapper arrived 10 minutes after the other food as did one child's French fries.
- Scenery and Service are amaxingMelishurls127Dined on 8/7/2014Great dinner find! Ambiance was beautiful. Service was outstanding and food was delicious. Definitely a find in Poipu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and DeliciousBarrettDined on 8/5/2014My wife found this restaurant on trip advisor and booked a reservation for our nice honeymoon dinner. The drinks were amazing, the mushroom and goat cheese appetizer was yummy, and the Kona Lobster Tail was to die for. The ambiance was perfect too, we had a seat looking out over the water and had a front row seat to the beautiful koi fish pond. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anybody looking to have a romantic outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for hotel food but...SusieDined on 8/2/2014Nice for hotel food, but not that fab. Was disappointed. The rib appetizer was fatty and not very flavorful. Crab cakes good. Son liked the steak. Ordered glass of Cakebread Chardonnay; saw that the price was $23 a glass. Got the bill and was charged $30. I was told that was because I got a 7oz glass vs. a 5oz glass. Bit of a surprise. Service okay.