Tidepools - Grand Hyatt Kauai
1571 Poipu Rd.
Poipu, HI 96756Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Tidepools - Grand Hyatt Kauai
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.grandhyattkauai.com/
- Phone: 8082406456x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jayson Thompson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Tidepools - Grand Hyatt Kauai
For the ultimate in ambiance, delectable food and stellar service, Tidepools is the place. This quintessential Hawaiian setting has a backdrop of waterfalls with thatched roof bungalows that seemingly float above tropical lagoons. Savor contemporary Hawaiian style cuisine in this distinctive open-air setting. Diners rave about the exceptional service and fresh fish and steak options with a unique island flair including macadamia nut crusted mahimahi, grilled opah or a succulent steak. Salads feature fresh island-greens and the desserts are luscious. Don't miss this delightful experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Tidepools - Grand Hyatt Kauai - Best Restaurants in Poipu ›
Tidepools - Grand Hyatt Kauai reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
romantic (133)special occasion (121)scenic view (111)great for outdoor dining (101)fit for foodies (58)kid-friendly (20)notable wine list (19)good for groups (15)neighborhood gem (13)hot spot (10)late-night find (9)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- A great dinner in Poipu, Kaua'iOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Dinner at Tidepools was a wonderful experience for my sister and me. Service was attentive and friendly without being intrusive. Our food was delicious and well presented. Sis's fish was perfectly seared, while my chicken had a delectable sauce. Our desserts, molten chocolate cake and apple cobbler, were out of this world. We had a lovely waterside table and enjoyed watching the koi swimming next to us as dusk descended on Poipu. Overall, a fantastic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good mealhavingagreattimeinkauaiDined on 8/29/2014Always can depend on this beautiful site to have fresh fish and yummy desert delivered by a friendly waiter.Special Features:
- Food very blandFrustratedDined on 8/29/2014Disappointing entrees. Tuna a bit over cooked and no seasoning. For any price, very disappointing.Special Features:
- tropicalblogger1Dined on 8/28/2014We love Tidepools and go there every year with our daughter, son-in-law and two grandchildren when they come home to Hawaii for their annual visit. The location is beautiful and is walkable from our timeshare at the Point at Poipu. We only wish we would get our request to have an island more often. It is perfect for our small family and it gives our kids a chance to get up a bit and not bother anyone, but we have only gotten an island once even though we are willing to go for a very early dinner. Mahalo for the chance to comment.Special Features:
- Amazing menu....BatteryParkBillVIPDined on 8/26/2014Delicious food and delicious dessert choices. Definitely a must if in Poipu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food in beautiful settingDelilah822Dined on 8/26/2014Incredible birthday dinner! All of our food was amazing, but the crab cakes were definitely our favorite dish of the night. Our server was Dallas, and he was knowledgable, attentive without being intrusive, and entertaining. Our table was right on the koi pond, which is especially beautiful when lit by tiki torches. Prices were surprisingly reasonable. It was a really fantastic dinner and we'll definitely be returning to Tidepools frequently.Special Features:
- Great late night diningLoveHawaiiDined on 8/23/2014We were looking for a nice restaurant to celebrate the last night of our Kauai vacation. The food was delicious (the baby broccoli was a little too tough for our senior, but the rest of us liked it!). Two of us had the prime rib and beef and both were tender and tasty. Appreciated that there was a diverse menu, e.g. chicken for one of our party who likes it simple but tasty. Would come here again to try brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unexpected service qualityLasagnaismyjamDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I are on our honeymoon and booked this dinner reservation months ago. The view, ambiance, and food are stellar!! While our waiter was very nice, we had to wait a long time to place our order, he forgot to give us the specials, and after dinner we did not see him for 30-45 minutes. We had to ask the other staff twice if we could see a dessert menu. Everything else was amazing, though we did expect better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vacation enderlynneDined on 8/20/2014We searched to find the perfect place to end our vacation. This could not have been more wonderful. Our waiter Rob made us feel comfortable, the food was amazing and let's not forget the desserts. Thank you.Special Features:
- Wonderful!Delighted2dineDined on 8/19/2014Service was superb, setting beautiful, and food was creative and delicious!Special Features:
- AmazingBTTTDined on 8/19/2014If you're on Kauai with your significant other, Tidepools is a must. It's expensive, but well worth it. The portions will fill you up and the food is delicious. The layout and scenery is perfect and if you get there around 6pm, you'll most likely get a table along the edge of the koi ponds. Afterwards, the surrounding property of the Grand Hyatt is a great place for a little stroll and some photos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful and deliciouslayerscaDined on 8/19/2014Given the reviews we'd read of Tidepools before eating there, we expected a wonderful experience. We were not disappointed. The service was wonderful, as was the atmosphere and view out all the open windows to the beautiful beach bordering the Hyatt. Having tried mai tais at almost every restaurant we ate at and not finding one we thought was excellent, the mai tai at Tidepools was absolutely the best. Impressive wine list, including the Hyatt's house brand, Canvas, which was surprisingly good and of course affordable. The fish in all of our entrees was prepared beautifully - Opa, Mahi Mahi and the seafood platter. And the molten chocolate cake for dessert - yum!Special Features:
- 25th anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014Beautiful setting to celebrate with my beautiful bride of 25 years. Service & food were great. Wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tidepools RestaurantDanyceVIPDined on 8/17/2014Such a beautiful setting. A must for anyone going to KauaiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDiscerningpalateVIPDined on 8/16/2014Neither the food nor the service lived up to our expectations. Besides pricey, nothing about this place was special, although it came recommended. It felt like a typical big hotel restaurant with rather unsophisticated dishes that suffer from the unfortunate 'supersized' syndrome: portions are big but not very refined - quantity over quality in this case.
- Setting makes this a good choicedstump2Dined on 8/16/2014My wife and I celebrated our 40th anniversary. Our daughter gave us a gift card for the Grand Hyatt and since Tidepools was listed as romantic, we decided to dine there. With tip, expect to spend in the $200 range. We started with drinks in the bar area and then had our dinner. I had the prime rib and it was outstanding. I could have cut it with a fork it was that tender. My wife had a mixed seafood dish that included a half a lobster tail. It was good but for the price, it should have included a whole tail. We split the lava cake for dessert and it was really good. While the food was good, I think the ambiance of dining next to their large koi pond lit by tiki lamps made the setting perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beFoodapprci8torsVIPDined on 8/15/2014Food is excellent. Amazing fish. But service was lacking this time. Even though we had a reservation we waited 15 min for our table and they seated people who arrived after us before they seated us. Then it was almost an hour before our meal came out. Again, people who were seated after us got their meals before we did. During that hour no one filled our water glasses or offered extra bread. Just felt like we were not a priority. Lost some of its magic for us.Special Features:
- 10th timelonoDined on 8/15/2014Celebrating anniversary in poi pu 35 years.fish birds ..ambience excellent dinner, ALoha until we meet againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKluv2eatDined on 8/15/2014Not sure what the hype is about. Food was just ok and overly priced. $14 for 2 prawns as add on $30 for a lobster tail add on insane!!!Special Features:
- Wait Staff Unfriendly1stKauaildnDined on 8/14/2014Exceptional food! Beautiful! However, having made reservations one month in advance, we were placed with full view of kitchen doors. There were empty tables in every alcove as it was the night of the Grand Hyatt Luau. Our wait or was unfriendly, arrogant and only spoke or assisted if we were ordering. He appeared to be bothered for having to serve us. Another staff and another table... I would have gladly given five stars.
- Perfect in Paradisesfg68VIPDined on 8/13/2014Outstanding meal..excellent service, great food, beautiful setting! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Beautiful spot to dine.DisappointedDined on 8/12/2014Tidepools was a beautiful restaurant to dine in - bungalows surrounded by a koi-filled lagoon. My husband and I enjoyed the Polenta Crusted Scallops, and for our entrees the Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi (must order this!) and the Local Ahi. All dishes cooked very well, with great ingredients. Quieter and more serene vibe, great for a couple or family. If you are here after sunset, you will also enjoy the lighting of the tiki-torches!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was below averageSteakDined on 8/8/2014We told the waitress twice that my wife's steak should be well done which means no pink meat on the inside. It was only cooked to medium rare. What can you say about a restaurant that cannot cook a steak properly? That cost me $46. We were among the first people to arrive at 5:30pm. My snapper arrived 10 minutes after the other food as did one child's French fries.
- Scenery and Service are amaxingMelishurls127Dined on 8/7/2014Great dinner find! Ambiance was beautiful. Service was outstanding and food was delicious. Definitely a find in Poipu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and DeliciousBarrettDined on 8/5/2014My wife found this restaurant on trip advisor and booked a reservation for our nice honeymoon dinner. The drinks were amazing, the mushroom and goat cheese appetizer was yummy, and the Kona Lobster Tail was to die for. The ambiance was perfect too, we had a seat looking out over the water and had a front row seat to the beautiful koi fish pond. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anybody looking to have a romantic outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for hotel food but...SusieDined on 8/2/2014Nice for hotel food, but not that fab. Was disappointed. The rib appetizer was fatty and not very flavorful. Crab cakes good. Son liked the steak. Ordered glass of Cakebread Chardonnay; saw that the price was $23 a glass. Got the bill and was charged $30. I was told that was because I got a 7oz glass vs. a 5oz glass. Bit of a surprise. Service okay.
- Great foodCourtneyDined on 8/2/2014We loved everything that we ordered at Tidepools. It was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite resurant in Kauaitjpdx54Dined on 7/31/2014Every time we are on the island of Kauai we make it a point to always have dinner at the Tidepools restaurant in the Grand Hyatt Kauai. Excellent service and outstanding fresh seafood menu. I highly recommend Tidepools.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceLocalEatrDined on 7/26/2014Tidepools at the Grand Hyatt was a really neat dining experience. We were seated on the pond peninsula in a sort of cabana with a great breeze. Swans and Koi were abundant in our view of the pond. The food was mostly excellent with a few exceptions that were good but not necessarily excellent. The service was very friendly and attentive, though perhaps not overly experienced. Overall, it was a fun evening of great views, friendly service, and very good food.Special Features:
- Great spot for food but not romanceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014The food, wine list & service were great (up to a point). The main reason we decided to book here was that we were led to believe it was the best spot on Kauai for a romantic dinner. Surprisingly, the restaurant had a lot of families eating there, making it seem more of a family restaurant. The fine dining atmosphere was lost, made worse by the setup of the tables & casual clothing of the staff. We had great service until the end of the meal when the waitress was nowhere to be seen for paying the bill & when she did come she took my credit card, came back within a few minutes & said, "Did you give me your card? Oh you did. I must've lost it somewhere. I'll find it." Not exactly what you want to hear. There are better fine dining spots.Special Features:
- FiveFoodiesDined on 7/25/2014Location and setting were excellent. Kid friendly restaurant with exceptional service. Fresh fish selections with all the tasty sides and flavors was exactly what our family wanted and got.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/22/2014The wine list and bar were good, but the food was a let down vs expectations of this being a 'Best of' restaurant for Kauai. We stuck to the local fish thinking this would be the better dish, but neither dish was that good. The molten chocolate cake also smelt like someone had spilled gas fluid from the torch on it. Service was good and efficient and the restaurant was pretty but from our experience, save your money and go to Roy's just five minutes down the road instead - the fish there was absolutely first class.Special Features:
- Excellent RestaurantLove2eatDined on 7/21/2014Everything was delicious! The waiter was great, fun and very professional. We both loved our meals!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014Exceeded my expectations for a hotel based resturant. Great experience and would recommend to others for a business dinner or special occasion. Very good service. Nice wine list, balanced in quality and price points reasonable, expecially for a hotel.Special Features:
- Great eatsTheMcDsDined on 7/20/2014The entire dining experience was outstanding. The serving staff was very friendly, observant, and punctual. We ordered 4 different fish entrees and all plates were prepared to perfection. The combination of tastes was fantastic. The ambience was perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:
- WONDERFUL!PennyzmomDined on 7/19/2014We remembered how lovely it was from our first visit to Kauai six years ago and were delighted to find it was even better then last time. The food was amazing. The service was amazing. Our table was in an little alcove out in the water by itself, which was quiet and picturesque. The grounds were so beautiful. We were very happy with our experience.Special Features:
- must eat fishAmyADined on 7/18/2014The best dishes on the menu are seafood. Freshness, presentation, and preparation are top notch. When most people leave hotels to eat, we recommend you stay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Cherry on TopScoutDined on 7/18/2014After a fun, relaxing, local foodie vacation, this was our last stop before going home-we saved the best for last! The appetizers, entrees AND dessert were delicious with stand out flavors and deft preparation that respected to oh so fresh, local ingredients. Our server was informative, attentive and nice; he provided great recommendations. I loved the wine list too...Special Features:
- great local cuisine with a kickkronickwinoDined on 7/16/2014Awesome find for my dinner guests! We were able to get a last minute reservation no problem and the place is just beautiful. There didnt seem to be a bad table in the place since every angle has a view! We all had a different local fish dish which were stunning and cooked to perfection. Great appetizers and wine list. I hope to go back. The only thing I didn't love were the fact the special cocktails were $16 (ouch). I don't pay over $12 in NY and the entree prices were a bit high. Otherwise, it was a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Service, and RomanceRobFromSeattleDined on 7/16/2014We went to Tidepools for our 20th wedding anniversary. The service was outstanding, the food and wine were perfect, and the setting was quite romantic. They dealt with my wife's nut allergy very well and made adjustments as necessary. It was a terrific dinner on a perfect night to celebrate 20 years of marriage. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for great food, service, and location. We walked the grounds afterwards for a special treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.