1926 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20018Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ticorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (202) 319-1400
- Hours of Operation:
Opening daily at 5pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Michael Schlow/George Rodrigues
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Tico
TICO, an affectionate name for a local in Costa Rica, is gently influenced by chef/owner Michael Schlow’s travels to Spain, Mexico and Latin America, and was named one of the “Best New Restaurants in America” by Esquire magazine. The rustic space evokes a sense of communal dining with smaller, tapas-style options to share, offering whimsical dishes that creatively blend flavors from all over the world. TICO has a playful, inviting vibe as it boasts an open kitchen with six stools at the ceviche bar to observe the behind-the-scenes action. TICO offers an extensive beverage program including draft and craft cocktails, local breweries and wines from Central and South American, Spain and the US.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Tico reviews from OpenTable diners
331 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (192)hot spot (179)good for groups (162)neighborhood gem (124)vibrant bar scene (107)special occasion (66)great for brunch (64)romantic (39)late-night find (31)great for lunch (22)great for outdoor dining (20)notable wine list (17)scenic view (15)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- Delicious and AttentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014Not only was the food incredible (splurge for the banana split gelato!), but our service was wicked fast and the staff was incredibly attentive. Every time I turned around my water was being filled or I was being asked if I needed anything else. Definitely would recommend for any occasion. Loved the atmosphere with the art on the walls - and we went on a night where they had all the windows open to the street. Very fun and great for the celebration we were having.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencegoingouthealthydcDined on 11/23/2014Went there for brunch with 3 other friends. The portion sizes were great, prices were reasonable, and we were all very happy with our food. It was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was spectacular!RachelKDined on 11/23/2014The food was really tasty (eggs were poached perfectly, thank you chef!) and very reasonably priced. We had a great brunch at Tico. What really stood out for me was that we had a misunderstanding about the bottle of cava that we ordered (we thought it was less $$ than it was). The server made absolutely no fuss about it, explained the misunderstanding in a very classy way and gave us the price we thought it had been. I was very impressed. I hope the tip we left was enough to say thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upscaled fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/22/2014My wife and I met up with two of our friends who rarely coming into town. We wanted to choose a place that gives them the experience of the continuing evolution of the 14th street area….Tico did not disappoint at all. Seating was perfect…spaced well so you are not on top of each other and distracted by other conversations. Service was excellent…attentive and team approach…did not miss a beat. Food was very good..small plates to share…thoughtful spicing and fresh ingredients that at first bite just tells you this is going to be a great experience, e.g., fried chicken tacos, two texture beef taco, spinach salad, crab tostada, etc. Before and during dinner were the cocktails…Hibiscus margarita, three the hard way (rum, ginger and apple), etc. Enjoy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid food, somewhat pushy serviceDCdinerDined on 11/21/2014The food was very solid. We enjoyed the small plates format and liked the sharing aspect. Cauliflower www definitely a standout. Our service was efficient, but definitely a bit forced. We were, pretty obviously, trying to catch up and chat and were met with several quick check backs seeing if we were ready to order. My guest and I felt forced to fire off 3 or 4 items to get the server to relax a bit. Which worked temporarily. It continued that way throughout the meal. Similar approach was shown when the check was dropped and at that time it became obvious she had been cut and we were the only thing standing between her and leaving. I get it, you want to leave, but please just play it a bit cooler next time.Special Features:
- Not worth a second visit..LizzieVIPDined on 11/20/2014Had a great first experience at Tico but went back for a second time and food was mediocre and service was slow and rude. Took a while to be seated (even though we had a reservation), had to practically beg the waiter to take our drink order, our food order was messed up, and felt like we were rushed out of there - didn't even ask us if we wanted dessert (and it was my birthday!!). Very disappointed.
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2014It feels like a generic "fusion" hipster restaurant. The drinks were fine but a bit overpriced. Not a lot of food options and they were spectacular. I appreciate that the plates are designed to share with another person. The entire experience wasn't worth going out of you way for, but if you're in the area, it's worth checking out the bar.Special Features:
- LocalDinerDined on 11/16/2014Great food and great service. Interestign and unique brunch menu. Not your typical pigs in a blanketSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An exquisite experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/13/2014The food is exquisite. Everything was fantastic. I've added this to my list of restaurants to bring visiting family members.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good American FoodYardapeDined on 11/9/2014I met someone there for their brunch. This is a busy bustling noisy place with lots of energy. The food was very good. Our waitress was very bubbly and friendly. The only issue I had was the management staff who continually came to our table interrupting our conversation over rediculous things like removing sugar packets from the table and asking how everything was a bazillion times. Geez people. Way over attentive. Because we lingered for quite awhile our new waiter started to get impatient with me about picking up the check. When I realized he was trying to close out the shift it was no problem. If he had explained that to me earlier he wouldn't have felt the need to be surly with me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste buds are still dancing...twoeatDined on 11/8/2014Tico was on our must do DC list and we were not disappointed. My husband and I like to pace our dinner and wanted to try as many food items as we could. Our server Stevie was patient, informative and fun. Her suggestions were spot on and our only complaint is that our stomachs are not larger. We savored the Local Crab Tostada, the Crispy Manchego Cheese, the Shredded Cabbage Salad, the Sweet Corn and the Classic Shrimp and can happily recommend all of these small plates with the crab and the salad as standouts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant and FunAllAboutTownDined on 11/8/2014Great place for lunch and dinner! We have tried it get in numerous times but the scene is so packed that you must reserve at least a couple of days in advance. The staff are fun and friendly, and the food and drinks are wonderful. I highly suggest trying this place.Special Features:
- Good spot to meet friendsAdrienneDined on 11/2/2014With a warm atmosphere and cool decor, there's a good vibe here suited to getting together with friends. Food-wise the ceviche was delicious, but with other choices like Mac n Cheese, the menu felt a little muddled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef's choice is the best optionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2014I'm always looking for restaurants that offer chef's choice for a set price. We did the 'Kind of Hungry' option, and it was more than enough food. I love to be surprised about what will come out next, and all the dishes were amazing.Special Features:
- Nicehungry14thDined on 10/31/2014The portion size is very generous. I had the lamb and my friend had the salmon and both were very good. The whitefish ceviche was outstanding. The waiter was very friendly and attentive. Next time we will concentrate on the tapas. The ambiance is very warm and inviting.Special Features:
- PriceyLoganCirclerDined on 10/30/2014The food was fair, and the drinks were above average, but overall, the food was far overpriced.
- Great!chewyVIPDined on 10/29/2014Food was great! Service was great! Interesting, attractive decor! In spite of relatively large rooms and flat walls, the noise level was fine. We could hear each other talk without shouting. Customers of varying ages. The far brick painted wall is worth looking at closely as there are some faces that are not immediately apparent. One curiosity was that when we ordered 2 scoops of sorbet and one gelato from "Sorbets and Gelatos" the waiter said sorbets and gelatos don't really go together; they are really 2 separate orders. We assured him we would like it and inquired if that was an issue for the kitchen. He said not and cheerfully went to get them. They too were excellent. Guess he had never had a creamsicleSpecial Features:
- Neighborhood FavoriteEnjoylifeVIPDined on 10/29/2014Tico has become a neighborhood regular for us. Our favorites: crunchy edamame tacos, roasted cauliflower & chorizo risotto. The hibiscus margaritas alone are something to look forward to. Food arrives quickly and the staff is efficient, polite, attentive and fun. We are always greeted with a smile and engaged in conversation as we are shown to our table. The setting is lively, but not so noisy you have to yell to be heard. Love the open kitchen concept. P.S. Thanks to the management for changing the cleaning solution used on the tables...there no longer seems to be that lingering odor we noticed on our last visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new placeDSDCDined on 10/26/2014First time to this new place and food was excellent as was the service. One person is extremely allergic to nuts and they easily handled making some of the dishes without the nuts. On thing I noticed was that it was extremely dark in the front corner where we sat. We were right up front near the window. Yes it was 8 pm and I'm find with low light but we could not read our menus and needed to use the light from our phones. Small thing for an overall good experience.Special Features:
- go to spotacmepaperVIPDined on 10/25/2014our first time there and we will definitely return. went with a group of friends and probably ate the entire menu. don't miss the porron on the cocktail list. GOOD TIMES!Special Features:
- Fun!CarenVIPDined on 10/24/2014Our first dining experience at TICO started out at the bar with Al where we started with hibiscus margaritas and proceeded to tasting mezcals and raicillas....too much fun. He was very knowlegable and steered us right. Food was excellent...green cabbage salad and the cauliflower were our faves! The two style beef taco, chorizo risotto, scallop ceviche, corn and la plancha shrimp were excellent too. Probably the only dish that I was a little underwhelmed with was the breaded and fried manchego with the pomegranate honey dip. Love manchego and love the dip...this just wasn't overly flavorful...may have been that particular cheese. Overall...fab experience!Special Features:
- Quite Pricey for Small PlatesNotCsitsmaVIPDined on 10/23/2014The food was good, but the portions are small (even for small plates) -- and the prices are high.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2014Tico is a rare find that combines absolutely amazing food with great service, a fun urban decor and a energetic crowd. We stuck to small plates that we shared. As it turns out, that decision freed us to try multiple items from the menu. We were thrilled with the flavors developed in each dish. We can't wait to make a return trip!Special Features:
- Tapas are for suckers...lefthungryDined on 10/21/2014The atmosphere of the restaurant is great and the service was wonderful. Perfect spot for a date. My issue is that the restaurant gets on the tapas bandwagon and doesn't really offer added value from a place like Barcelona or Jaleo. The food was actually quite good. I would recommend this place more for drinks than dinner. I also liked the brunch menu better than the dinner menu. Tapas just always feel like a Spanish word for "ripoff." You get charged regular price for appetizers. And the solution for the restaurant is "just order more." At the end of the night, you're either going to leave the restaurant hungry or refinancing your mortgage.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014The food we tried at Tico was excellent. We had the beef tacos, the cauliflower and the chorizo risotto. We would have stayed for more food but it was incredibly loud in the restaurant with a very distinctive music soundtrack that you could not ignore. However, the thing that stood out at Tico was the amazing service. The hostesses were very warm, our server was very laid back and helpful, a manager walked by and offered a genuine smile and even other servers greeted us. None of this was invasive, but made us feel comfortable. I would definitely try Tico again at a quieter time than Saturday night during the dinner rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice brunchERD28Dined on 10/18/2014Interesting decor and very good servers make Tico a favorite place for brunchSpecial Features:
- great for groupsDrewDined on 10/17/2014had dinner here with group of 6 old friends and my 6-week old. Staff was very accomodating in placing us in a location where could put our baby and stroller next to us without being in anyone's way. Ambiance is vibrant but quiet enough that i could hear the conversation without difficulty. We must have ordered 12 or so dishes and very much enjoyed them all. There were a few standouts - the corn dish and the cauliflower dish were big hits. None of the 12 were even mediocre, which is hard to pull off with so many dishes. Great experience overall, will definitely be back!Special Features:
- SherrieVIPDined on 10/16/2014The mac and cheese was outstanding! We didn't love the salmon ceviche, but we were happy with the fried calamari. Next time we will try a different ceviche.
- Great new spotJCJonesDined on 10/15/2014Came here twice in one week for brunch and dinner. Service was excellent each time. Food was good and the drinks were yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy but expensiveCJ304Dined on 10/14/2014They sat under the A.C unit i think, water kept falling from the ceilingSpecial Features:
- A delicious combinationDlishDined on 10/14/2014The food at Ticos is delicious! The food is a delicious, creative combination of Latin flavors and fresh ingredients. It's a bustling restaurant with very good service and nice ambiance. A must try!Special Features:
- Great Ambiance, Gluten Free OptionsgfdinerDined on 10/14/2014An excellent date spot, or special birthday dinner with friends. Trendy place and food, yet also very approachable and delicious. The drinks were especially delicious. If you go on a nice night, they open all the windows for an open air experience. With 14th foot and street traffic right outside, it creates an exciting atmosphere. The server could have been more attentive, but when he was around, he was willing to help us and make recommendations (including gluten free advice). Overall, a great experience!Special Features:
- Not worth the moneySJHHDined on 10/12/2014Food was just OK, but I feel like there are a lot of high end mexican places in the area, and some cheaper, that have significantly better food. I just didn't see the value.
- Great TapasfoodieroosterDined on 10/11/2014A friend and I did the "Little Bit Hungry" option where the kitchen picks several plates for you--totally worth it! We were stuffed (unusual for tapas) and every single dish was delicious.Special Features:
- Everything Great But ServiceCPP322Dined on 10/11/2014Saturday night first date. My date and I arrived and were sat immediately even though we were 15 minutes late for our reservation. However after that everything was down hill but the quality of food. We ordered a bottle of champagne which after 20 minutes never came and we had to ask. At which point our server apologized and said he had completely forgotten. That's okay its busy 1 mistake not a big deal. We ordered a bunch of food. About 45 minutes later tables which had been sat down next to us after we had ordered were almost done with their meals. So again we ask the waiter where is our food. The waiter walks away and comes back and says our ticket was lost, and proceeds to write down our order. Finally we get out food which was tasty.Special Features:
- Great Food & Serviceeat2livelive2eatDined on 10/11/2014Tico was recommended by a friend. It did not disappoint. The food was really good and the hibiscus margaritas were even better. It can get a little pricey, since everything except their entrees are small plates, but everything is very tasty.Special Features:
- Firts timeJAMSDined on 10/11/2014me and my friends decided to try tico for brunch, the food was amazing, the lovely lady bring me 2 type of hot sauces (really good) the margarita was tasty well balance but nothing exited bout it, I order the duck confit and green chile hash, was outstanding, I really enjoy it, abut the server a young lady, very friendly, but I was filling a little to much about her approach to the table, but she was ok I understand she is young, we will back.Special Features:
- Amazing flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/9/2014I had the chefs choice dinner. It was fantastic, amazing, the food was wonderfully spiced, perfectly prepared and I was totally amazed at the combinations of flavors. The golden beets were incredible, the most unexpected find of the night. The salmon cervice with mango was stellar. The chorizo was devine, the scallop cooked and spiced to perfection. Not to mention the bacon jalapeno corn and the mac and cheese which lived up to expectations. The tequilas paired with the food flavors so well I was amazed. This was the best surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KevinDined on 10/8/2014The food was outstanding and the service was excellent. They offered an option that allows the kitchen to choose the tapa dishes for the table. I believe they had three options. We chose the one, "sort of hungry". Each dish was so delicious. I was celebrating a wedding anniversary so they gave us complimentary champange. I would highly recommend Tico.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RrrrVIPDined on 10/8/2014For the most part, the food was not prepared fresh. Very disappointing. Our server was very nice, but she tried to sell us on dishes that, frankly, tasted quite ordinary.