1926 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20018Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ticorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2023191400x
- Hours of Operation:
Opening daily at 5pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Michael Schlow/George Rodrigues
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Tico
TICO, an affectionate name for a local in Costa Rica, is gently influenced by chef/owner Michael Schlow’s travels to Spain, Mexico and Latin America, and was named one of the “Best New Restaurants in America” by Esquire magazine. The rustic space evokes a sense of communal dining with smaller, tapas-style options to share, offering whimsical dishes that creatively blend flavors from all over the world. TICO has a playful, inviting vibe as it boasts an open kitchen with six stools at the ceviche bar to observe the behind-the-scenes action. TICO offers an extensive beverage program including draft and craft cocktails, local breweries and wines from Central and South American, Spain and the US.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Tico reviews from OpenTable diners
305 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (176)hot spot (166)good for groups (136)neighborhood gem (123)vibrant bar scene (117)special occasion (76)romantic (42)great for brunch (39)late-night find (35)notable wine list (22)scenic view (20)great for outdoor dining (20)great for lunch (19)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- first time customerMateoDined on 9/28/2014We had late lunch off the brunch menu. Great friendly service. Very good food. Nice atmosphere on a beautiful day---wall along the sidewalk is open allowing a nice breeze and people watching. We left full but will return for the desserts that sounded phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ezdeepgreenDined on 9/27/2014The food was varied, interesting and tasted great. Service was also very good. There was not a lot of choice for dessert although the one we shared (banana chocolate gelato with peanuts one) was gooodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre & Overpriced FoodNinaKVIPDined on 9/26/2014Huge space, nice ambiance/lighting, food mediocre & overpriced. Drinks tiny (even glasses of wine). Service fine, waitress was schmoozing for tips telling every patron how young they looked. Too many better options. Will not be returning
- ervineDined on 9/25/2014Loved the food. It was fast and the service was great. Great spot for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, good foodMalbec75Dined on 9/24/2014We had an 8pm reservation for two people and one of us was 10 minutes late, and though they didn't give away our table, we weren't seated until almost 8:30pm. The restaurant comp'd us two cocktails and an appetizer, which we greatly appreciated. We enjoyed trying a variety of small plates and found the service to be pleasant and efficient throughout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AppreciatefinediningDined on 9/24/2014We were two couples and we shared 7 small plates and then each got an order of the tacos. That was plenty of food, altho' it left a lot of choices for a return visit!! It is one of those places where literally everything on the menu looks great. We also tried some of their signature cocktails and the wine list was very selective.Special Features:
- Meh...hungryinDCDined on 9/23/2014Tico is ok. Not great, not terrible. We had about 6 small plates between us and nothing stood out as great. The service was on point but the food did nothing for us. The concept is confusing too. They are latin or spanish of some sort but that's unclear what. They serve bread with olive oil that's tasteless. It was all quite meh.Special Features:
- Tico muy RicoPolo202Dined on 9/21/2014Food was great. The service could've been better but after all I'm still satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The food was very delicious, all the seafood was cooked perfectly. I enjoyed every moment on my date!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip and deliciousBethDined on 9/20/2014We two old f**ts had a great late summer date night dinner here on our way to a show at the Source. Great ambience, distinctive menu, hip crowd, wonderfully attentive waiter. Loved the decor and open air.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad drinksPattyBooDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I loved the place when we got in and we were very pleased with the food. I am latina and he is Spanish and we are very picky about food when it comes to tapas and Latin food. To our surprise, our favorite was the cauliflower by recommendation of our server who, by the way, was very nice and helpful. The ceviches were really good, the duck tacos were good, and the risotto was ok. But mostly we were disappointed by the drinks: They were not good at all (except for the Chardonnay) and way too pricey. The mojito tasted liked a lemonade, not enough ice or mint. That would probably keep us from going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Small PlatesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014The small plates are awesome for a date night or a dinner between a few friends - they make it easy to try several fun dishes without feeling stuffed. The duck and edamame tacos and the chorizo risotto were stand outs.Special Features:
- Loud,, loud TicoPhoebeDined on 9/14/2014Tico is a very "mod" restaurant aimed at the young people who live in the area. I made the reservation because I read about it and thought it was worth a try. The wall decoration looked like grafetti. The noise level increased as the evening went on, and it became impossible to have a conversation. The food was good and the service was adequate. We will not return to this restaurant because we are too old and the noise level is something we cannot live with.Special Features:
- Great option for brunchErimDined on 9/14/2014We tried the brunch menu and it was amazing. Service was excellent and we all had a great time!Special Features:
- Great PlaceFinchjdcVIPDined on 9/11/2014I'm not a foodie and couldn't care less about food, so as a "non-foodie" this place knocked me off my socks. Great food, great atmosphere, great service. My favorite new place in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodKarenDined on 9/11/2014Tico is great! The dishes are flavorful, spicy, and the food seems quite fresh. I have eaten here twice, and both times my dinner companions and I have enjoyed it very much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & valuesuthersVIPDined on 9/8/2014We were in DC for the weekend and decided to dine here. Have to say it was great. All the dishes were really tasty and the value was exceptional. Will DEFO return again!Special Features:
- Fun placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2014Great food, love the outdoor/indoor ambience, incredibly attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good not greatlovetoeatVIPDined on 9/6/2014Food was very good, but a little pricey for what it was. We did the Chef's Choice "we missed lunch" but it came up to around the same price as what it would have been if we ordered those dishes, so I would say just go a la carte and pick what you want. Then you know what you are getting because the runners that brought out our food didn't tell us what the food was, they just dropped it off, so we were guessing what we were eating. Our waiter was great and friendly, but service was slow and food came out very slowly.Special Features:
- kso1Dined on 9/6/2014I went here on a Saturday evening for my birthday dinner with a group of 12. Tico was very accommodating and easy to work with in terms of allergies. I will say, it would have been nice if we could have known in advance that groups larger than 8 are required to do a tasting menu and been able to book the group of 12 directly through OpenTable rather than having to call. The smallest level of tasting menu food was more than enough food and all parties left full and satisfied.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/20142nd time there and loved it even more!! We look forward to coming back and will tell our friends about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big and NoisyDesignGuy20009Dined on 9/4/2014Thankfully, the food was great and the service wonderful from our particular server. However, I found the space a bit too large, garishly designed and decorated, feeling more like a space one might find at a shopping mall. The noise level deafening. Thank goodness we were near the hostess instead of in the middle of the space surrounded on all four sides. I know this is the trend to up the excitement level, but to the point where you have to strain to hear what your companion(s) are saying? I miss Coppi's.Special Features:
- Seating PolicygadaDined on 9/3/2014Really love the location food, and service. But really hate that I couldn't be seated even just because my companion was a few minutes late. There was no room at the bar and no seating area so it was just uncomfortable to basically have to step outside. The kicker: the restaurant was basically empty because my reservation was at 6:30 p.m. Just seat me, I would have gotten a drink or something and the waitresses tip would have gone up.Special Features:
- kjhectorDined on 8/31/2014We had a vistor in town and wanted to try Ted's Bulletin. We tried to indulge her but with over an hour wait we said to hell with that. My son had suggested we make reservations at Tico instead. Glad we did. the food, service and atmosphere was on point. My son had the fried chicken. It was the table favorite. I ordered the Serrano ham and Machengo Grilled cheese sandwich. Great spanish influence. Prices are very reasonable. Don't buy into the hype down the street. Tico is a much better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bari HBariDined on 8/30/2014really fun restaurant on the 14th street corridor. Food was delicious, with a combination of flavors that were often unique. High points were the roasted cauliflower and the beef tacos, even the seasoned olives were good! Only downside is that the place is LOUD, we found ourselves shouting to be heard.Special Features:
- Loved itTdinesDined on 8/30/2014Our experience here was fantastic. The food was the only thing that was not 5 stars, in my opinion. It could have been what we ordered. But, the service and the place was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food & service!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014Love your restaurant!!! Wonderful food and the best staff in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for sharingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/28/2014I went here for dinner and have been back multiple times. Its reallya hot spot.Special Features:
- great new find!MMKWDCDined on 8/28/2014LOVED TICODC! Great food and ambiance. Our waiter was very nice and polite. The only reason I didn't give the service 5 stars is because the first 3 'tapas' came out within 10 minutes of being seated - felt a bit rushed.Special Features:
- Not Ready for Prime TimeshinoDined on 8/27/2014Food was muddled and mushy. Flavors and textures were diminished by their combinations. Compensated by using too much salt. Won't be back.
- Very goodSJG20005Dined on 8/26/2014Very good food. Recommend the "Forgot my Lunch" pre fixed menu. A lot of food that we had to take back about 3 boxes and had lunch the next day. It was about $55 per person so it isn't cheap but I believe worth the value. It was a little crammed and the place was very popular.Special Features:
- Nice addition to neighborhoodHaneVIPDined on 8/26/2014The cauliflower and beet small plates were amazing. salmon ceviche was a generous portion. We were not too impressed with the tacos- spicy fish and shrimp. Nothing bad, just not too interesting in flavor. great drinks.Special Features:
- Welcome to the neighborhood!NMillerDined on 8/24/2014Went for brunch and really enjoyed it. The food was very good, but I have to say the service impressed me as absolutely outstanding. Everyone was so pleasant and smart and professional - there was just something about them that seemed a cut above the usual, like they were happy to be there / proud of the place / better trained or managed - I don't know what exactly it was, but we really appreciated it. Will definitely go again. Glad that Tico is on our neighborhood.Special Features:
- :(xolaurinxoDined on 8/23/2014Very disappointed. We waited almost 45 min for a server. During that time the person that brought us water checked on us every 20 min or so. After he realized I was livid, he decided to go ahead and serve us. Everything I ordered except for the fried oysters was horrible and I still ended up spending close to $90 and that was split between two people. I will probably never go there again. The best part of my evening was the sparkling water. The server was sweet and tried to help as much as he could until his shift was over. Maybe when he left we got the person we should have had in the beginning. A DISASTER!
- Delicious!HungryGirlDined on 8/22/2014I loved everything about Tico! The food was fantastic, the atmosphere was amazing and I would be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistent, good food/ambiencelsalDined on 8/16/2014menu was pretty predictable but everything was consistently good, service was good (not particularly excellent e.g. not fun/engaging, no good recos)Special Features:
- Middlingmmud81Dined on 8/16/2014Tico is just another of the bevy of middling restaurants now open in the U Street/Shaw/Logan Circle neighborhood. While the food was good, nothing I ate beckoned me to come back for more. I was also particularly disappointed because of the big name behind the operation: Michael Schlow. I expected better.Special Features:
- Nice brunch placeLenHVIPDined on 8/16/2014Went for the food, stayed for the food. Duck confit with eggs were excellent, open omlettes were well constructed. Coffee was good, drinks were interesting, but not repeaters. Could have used some bread basket of modest sort. Definitely a returner.Special Features:
- Jury's still outHungryLobbyistDined on 8/14/2014They've created a buzzy, vibrant atmosphere with a creative menu. The dishes are well done (of note is the lobster ceviche) but we have been twice and both servers messed up orders and were seriously in attentive. Front-of-house is poorly managed, too, as we waited 35 mins at the bar despite having a reservation. Check your bill carefully! They added about $30 worth of food we never ordered the first time we went. It wouldn't take much training to turn around these personnel problems, and I'm hopeful these are still growing pains. Will likely give it one more shot for the cuisine alone though.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014Food was tasty but not memorable. Reminds me of a lot of popular tapas restaurants. Ambiance and decor were edgy and hip.Special Features: