32-07 34th Ave.
Astoria, NY 11106Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thymari.com/
- Phone: 7182042880
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday: 11 am - 11 pm
Sunday: 11 am - 10:30 pm
Tuesday-Thursday: 5 pm - 10:30 pm
Friday: 5 pm - 11 pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call (718) 204-2880.
A word from Thymari
Thymari Restaurant and Bar (pronounced thee-mar’-ee, Greek for thyme) presents a fresh face to Astoria's Greek culinary scene. Thymari's Greek-inspired menu combines classic flavors with newly imagined preparations. Savor all these delicious flavors in Thymari’s casual and comfortable dining room, or enjoy a glass of wine or specialty cocktail at Thymari’s full-service bar. Also serving weekend brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thymari reviews from OpenTable diners
- Slow serviceEddieVIPDined on 8/3/2013I've been here 3-4 times and its always the same story- I go back for the food but I do t go back for a while because of the service. It as there on a Saturday night with a table of 4 and we were the only table in the dining room and we had to harass the waiter for basic things like water and the check. The drinks took a year and a day to arrive, so much so that I didn't order the second drink that I wanted because I was worried I would be done with my meal before it arrived. They need to get some systems in place to improve their efficiency because they really do have the potential to be a real asset to the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Highly underrated Astoria gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/1/2013It's remarkable that, in a neighborhood filled to the brim with Greek restaurants, Thymari delivers something no other place manages to do: simple, unfussy, traditional Greek dishes with updated, thoughtful seasoning, with an extra a twist here and there to make you rethink what Greek cuisine can be. This is your grandmother's comfort food...if your grandmother went to culinary school. Add to this an affordable and eye-opening list of Greek wines you won't find anywhere else. If you want serious, adult Greek food that is traditional yet modern, and both familiar and surprising, get thee to Thymari!Special Features:
- Looking forward to going back againOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/28/2013A terrific experience from the moment of setting foot inside. Exceptionally dedicated, knowledgable, helpful staff; wonderful ambiance; excellent food (and one of the few places that offers a vegetarian risotto...and it was sensational); very reasonable prices. Our party of three had a fabulous time. There's still so much on the menu to go back and explore. Great wine list, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something Different for AstoriaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2013Astoria is changing, and most of the Greek restaurants left standing are old stand-bys that haven't changed their menus in years. Thymari offers new but authentic variations on your favorite Greek dishes. The place looks more Soho than Astoria with exposed brick and hard woods. The servers are knowledgeable and efficient. The food is simply outstanding. There's plenty for vegetarians, pescatarians and carnivores. It's relaxing enough and has some decent desserts, so there's plenty of reason to linger and relax. I've only been for dinner but passed by at weekend brunch and it looks like a happening brunch spot, and I understand there's music sometimes on weekends. Can't rate high enough. Worth a trip from Manhattan, Brooklyn, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for late nightElizabethDined on 5/4/2013Thymari is amazing in its service and food. The wait staff are very attentive and they work together to help all tables, rather than some places that have specific area a person is supposed to serve. The group work makes everything more enjoyable. The mixed small plate is great as a starter for a group of 3 or 4. You must try the feta roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There were a couple reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/7/2013There were a couple really large groups there while we were. We did not feel at all neglected by the wait staff nor was the atmosphere too loud. The six of us had a variety of dishes and everyone was pleased with his or her choice.Special Features:
- Avoid Dining HereFelicedollVIPDined on 4/6/2013The food is overcooked, underseasoned and reheated. The meatballs and spinach pie (spanokopita) both came out cold. The greek salad was good, but barely enough there for a small child at $12. Drinks too, wer overpriced- $13 for a margarita! The restaurant was quite empty and for a good reason! There are so many great restaurants in the immediate area- choose another!
- The service was very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/19/2013The service was very good and they made the birthday person that we were celebrating very animated and joyful.Special Features:
- Although the restaurant itselfOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/8/2013Although the restaurant itself is gorgeous, the food and service were not up to part. The staff was very nice but not very efficient. It took about fifteen minutes after we sat down for someone to bring bread to the table. The food did not take too long, but the check took forever. We ordered a bottle of wine that was not on their wine list and so they a very long time getting us the check since they did not know how to charge us for the wine. The food itself was very disappointing. I had the leg of lamb casserole which was served with no rice or bread and was not good at all. My boyfriend had the salmon which was actually pretty good. My friend had the lamb burger which was horrible and her boyfriend's chicken was alright, nothing special.Special Features:
- When the crowd is right...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013The only downside was a handful of college grad who felt it necessary for to yell obscenities and let the whole restaurant know what they'd given up for Lent. I'm sure they enjoyed their own dinner and drinks, perhaps even a little too much. They left soon after I arrived and I was able to objectively evaluate the experience. The setting was romantic, but not pretentious or snooty. The food was great tasting and authentic. The service was impeccable, our server (who's name I've forgotten) was energetic, well spoken, well timed and very pleasant.Special Features:
- Great place. New wave GreekOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Great place. New wave Greek food, a little more upscale than the mom/pop type place you find in Astoria. Looking forward to go back and check out the rest of the menuSpecial Features:
- TERRIBLE SERVICE!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013We waited at our table on Valentine's Day and after 35 minutes of no drinks and no one to even take our food order, we left. HORRIBLE SERVICE!!!!
- Not good place for diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Not good place for dining or other. No service. Waited for food for a very long time. No service. Food overpriced. Very unpleasant experience. Never again will visit that place. Sorry
- Terrible kitchen and wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013My girlfriend and I went for Valentine's Day. Bad idea. They were overbooked, swamped, the kitchen couldn't keep up. It took us half an hour to get our drinks and an hour to get two measly and unpalatable salads. We left after having a few bites of salad. The manager was kind enough to have us just pay for the drinks and offer a sincere apology, but the hostess/head waitress had a bad attitude about it and took it as a personal offense. The drinks are good but I will never go back.
- Really a great place! DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Really a great place! Delicious food and wonderful service. We went for valentines day and it was really lovely. Excited to go back and try the rest of the menu (prix fixe on v-day).Special Features:
- Needs PolishingnyretiredgalVIPDined on 1/25/2013We started off with the grilled octopus, various cheeses, calamari, spinach and chicken pies which were all tasty. The moussaka missed with mark with thick, tough under cooked inedible eggplant. The lamb stew came in a lovely pot but the pieces of meat were inconsistently cooked, some chewy some tender. Overall they need to work on the food. The service was slow but very polite. Live pop music in the dining room made it a bit kitschy. Try for brunch first.
- Quite goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2013Octopus salad was some of the most tender that I have ever eaten. Delicious. The branzino was flavored great but too many bones. Love music is a great touch but a tad loud for such a small place. Service was attentive and unobtrusive. Very pretty and romantic inside.Special Features:
- We came to hear our friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/18/2013We came to hear our friends sing jazz here and happily discovered that the interior setting was lovely, the food delicious, and the staff could not have been nicer. Everybody at Thymari has reason to be proud. It was a lovely evening and we will return even when our friends aren't singing.Special Features:
- We went for brunch, so I cannotGrecoVIPDined on 1/6/2013We went for brunch, so I cannot really attest to the full menu. However, we had a very nice experience. Charming atmosphere, prompt and professional service and well-prepared food. Plus, added bonus of free brunch cocktail with every entree! Would recommend.Special Features:
- For New Year's Eve there wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012For New Year's Eve there was only one waiter. Took over 2 hours to finish the meal and aside from the salad, the food was very mediocre. The restaurant is beautiful and people are nice but maybe they were too overwhelmed with doing a New Years Eve event.
- This restaurant is nicelyAficionado747Dined on 12/9/2012This restaurant is nicely decorated and has excellent Greek food. We were a group of four people and had a wonderful lunch. Definitely we will return soon.Special Features:
- The live singer there wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/30/2012The live singer there was wayy too loud and we could barely hear one another. We hadn't seen each other in so long and it was sad not to be able to hear anything. The songs she sang were for a demographic of 80 year olds, not enjoyable.Special Features:
- Mediocre food and awful service!soakarooDined on 10/14/2012Service is very slow. The restaurant was empty and the waitress was very slow. She didn't come back to check on our party. I had to ask for a glass of water after I sat down for 15 minutes. I ordered the steak and it was extremely salty! The rest of the waiters were watching tv by the bar. My husband had to get up to request service several times and the food was mediocre. I would not recommend this place not for service and not for food!
- We thorougly enjoyed our experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012We thorougly enjoyed our experience at Thymari. The staff were very friendly and nice, the interior was warm and inviting and the cocktails were amazing. We liked the fact that we were not rushed through our meal. Would go back again.Special Features:
- We were a group of 8 and theyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/6/2012We were a group of 8 and they were quit accommodating as to table and seating preference. The food was good. We all ordered the Branzino fish and it was delicious....'Service was attentive....Special Features:
- Great food, good service andV70catDined on 10/6/2012Great food, good service and reasonable prices, this place is a rare find!Special Features:
- We had a great time, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/22/2012We had a great time, service was excellent and the food as well. Staff very warm and friendly. This is a keeper.Special Features:
- The staff was great, and theOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/21/2012The staff was great, and the appetizers good. The main courses weren't that good, though. The meat was tough and there was very little of it for the price.
- Highly recommended for ModernOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/15/2012Highly recommended for Modern Greek food and enthusiastic service in a modern, renovated space. Soutzoukakia, cumin-scented beef sausages in a spicy and sweet tomato sauce with feta accents, were sublime. The lavraki (butterflied striped bass) was overwhelmed by its topping of arugula, cherry tomatoes, capers, and a mustardy vinaigrette. Many interesting vegetarian options.
- The food was wonderfully preparedLaurieVIPDined on 9/11/2012The food was wonderfully prepared - there were 3 of us and we enjoyed every dish. I had the sole over pureed vegetables with beet chips and the flavors were so well matched. I will return often. There were not a lot of people there - they are newly opened.Special Features:
- Great New GreekkovalevnyrVIPDined on 9/9/2012We come from Manhattan to Astoria very often for the best Greek food and restaurants and have found one that tops the list; Thymari.. The food and service were terrific. We had a lovely outdooor table and it was pretty quiet. The staff were very accommodating as we had 2 persons with a special diet, myself a vegetarian and 2 teenagers. I give it the highest recommendation!Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/19/2012Some of the best greek food Ive had in a long time and much better than most places in Manhattan. Have been there twice already and looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- Great new place.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2012I dined here with a large group, after leaving we all thought we had a great time. This place is a great find, the prices are very reasonable and the service is great. Although this is a new place a servers know what they are serving and are more than willing to alternate your orders. This place would be wonderful for a date night or for a party. It also has outside seating which is good for smokers. Our server was very attentive and made sure that we were happy with our food and drinks.Special Features:
- Service is outstanding, theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/14/2012Service is outstanding, the ambience is lovely, and the creative and innovative Greek cuisine stands out in a community with many traditional Greek restaurants.Special Features:
- While a little out of theOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/14/2012While a little out of the way, it was worth the walk from the E train on Steinway St. The waitstaff was very intentive & the food was excellent. I highly recommend the grilled octopus & mussels. Good cocktails. Give it a try, it's worth the trip to Astoria.Special Features:
- Nice ambiance, but food didn'tthenygirlDined on 6/16/2012Nice ambiance, but food didn't meet our expectations. Friendly service.Special Features:
- A very nice neighborhood GreekPh39nDined on 6/8/2012A very nice neighborhood Greek spot. Good wine list, friendly and attentive service... and good food. Sunny front terrace and nice decor inside.Special Features:
- Very exciting take on GreekMacmanDined on 6/2/2012Very exciting take on Greek cuisine - a modern fusion approach. Food, ambiance and service are all top-notch!Special Features:
- The first time we went itellenVIPDined on 5/26/2012The first time we went it was wonderful and a perfect dining experience, as its a new eGreek feel with an edge. Then we went again and nothing was right, the service was too slow, the waitress was uninformed about the dishes and how they were prepared and didn't know about the winnes. The pita was doughy, the ocotpus was tough, the fish wasn't interesting and mine was not cooked enough and was sent back and came back to me in tiny pieces so I asked for a whole new serving. So 2 out of 4 of us had to wait longer for food and we could not all eat at the same time. No one seemed to really understand the probems or what to do. I would hope this is all corrected as this is a beautiful restaurant and could have a great future..
- Good food in a friendly atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2012We came here for a family celebration and were extraordinarily pleased with the whole experience. A beautiful and comfortable restaurant serving good food well prepared. We shared many items from the small-plates / starters portion of the menu and then each had a different main. Everything was good. The staff were very friendly and attentive. We are going to come back for the weekend brunch and to hang out at the bar.Special Features: