50 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.arkrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 2028980051
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: THE MEZZANINE Offers views of the U.S. Capitol and the Main Hall, and accommodates 70 guests for seated events, and 100 guests for standing receptions. Can be used in conjunction with America’s Capitol Wine Rooms, increasing capacity to 100 for seated events, and 150 for standing receptions. THE MAIN HALL & MAIN HALL ALCOVE Seating in the midst of Main Hall’s grandeur, or in the hidden alcove. Accommodates 70 guests for seated events and 100 guests for standing receptions. The alcove will accommodate 25 guests for seated events. THE EAST HALL ALCOVES Semi-private spaces which extend into historic East Hall, each alcove accommodates 20 guests for seated events. Can be used in conjunction to accommodate 60 guests for standing receptions. THE UPSTAIRS MAIN DINING ROOM Accommodates 120 guests for seated events, and 150 guests for standing receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Ark Catering 2023333011
A word from Thunder Grill
Incorporating towering, adobe-like wall fragments at the entry hall of Union Station, intricate mosaic surfaces of turquoise glass, and a menu reflecting the many cultures that have influenced the region, Thunder Grill is a visual and culinary celebration of the American Southwest.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Thunder Grill - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Thunder Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (13)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)fit for foodies (1)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)neighborhood gem (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Got to try the CevicheOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/17/2014There is a great buzz when walking into the restaurant. The excitement of being in a historic landmark building across from the US Capitol makes you feel like you are living history. The servers are smiling and dashing around the restaurant with customers telling jokes over the delicious meals. We had a sampling of food Ceviche was awesome, very fresh, Pork Sliders were moist and delicious, Fajitas were sizzling good, and the Salads are a fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- Nothing Specialhak3VIPDined on 8/29/2014I unique setting in a historic landmark but quality of food, simplicity of presentation and very uninspiring menu does't do justice to the special ambience of the station.
- mdl57Dined on 8/24/2014Went after the DC Duck Boat tour. Service was great and food equally as good. Sat out in the open terminal area. Was a very enjoyable time...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Irritatingreview2VIPDined on 8/6/2014I met a friend here for lunch. We ordered cokes. the waitress asked if we wanted another, and we said sure - thinking this was the typical 'bottomless' soda at many hamburger/sandwich places. Were we shocked when we got the bill for $4 per soda! It almost doubled the bill. I will never go back there.
- Reservation for 6NatikaDined on 7/29/2014We had a 12:30 reservation that the restaurant wasn't prepared for. We had to wait 15 minutes only to be sat in a booth that was pretty tight for my not so small party of 6.Special Features:
- Fabulous Location, Sad managementMarginallyUsefulVIPDined on 7/27/2014THe restaurant is in a corner of the fabulous Union Station, so not only is it well-located but the architectural space is terrific. THe menu is limited, mostly burgers, a few salads and a handful of Tex-Mex inspired entrees. Our lunch (second time) was good but nothing notable. But the service is erratic; the Maitre D seemed upset to have to deal with customers and silently motioned us to our table, the floor under our table had a dirty napkin and some french fries. The kitchen is OK and the location is great....all is needs is competent management.
- Decent option for Union StationNoname123Dined on 7/15/2014The calamari was pretty rubbery, but the fish tacos I had, and the Ceviche my friend got were pretty good. The outside dining room is pretty bad. But the inside dining room near the bar is much nicer. In all not a bad option for lunch or dinner if you have to meet at Union Station.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014exceeded expectations. Staff was extremely helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STAY AWAY- VERY bad experiencekem16Dined on 7/1/2014I chose this restaurant mainly for its location--great for out-of-town guests. BUT every aspect of the restaurant was disappointing. The floors were sticky and littered with used napkins and paper, the menus were also sticky, and the waiter could not get our order correct. I am a very patient person, but was embarrassed in front of my out-of-towners for having chosen the place. All in all, this felt like a bad TGI Friday's.
- Thunder Grill has improved.LLH1VIPDined on 7/1/2014Good service. Good entrees (I have enchilada's - very nice) and we shared a tasty brownie sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Entre salad for $17Barney29VIPDined on 6/25/2014This salad should have been an appetizer. After adding shrimp (3 for $6) the cost was $17. My lunch companion also had the same thing with chicken ($3). We both complained to the waiter about the skimpy portion and he said that's the way they make it. No offer of a dessert or even bread. This restaurant at Union Station in DC should be avoided.Special Features:
- The following 213 reviews are from the Thunder Grill reviews archive.
- Very accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/17/2014I was organizing a dinner for a variable group of 10-15 people and loved how flexible they were about the fact that I changed my arrival time and group size a few times. Servers were great about letting me choose from variety of tables. Good range of food options for veggie and otherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service with a big crowdFogofanDined on 4/13/2014Went on Palm Sunday with the Cherry Blossom crowd. Even though a packed house, my 6PM reservations got me immediate seating. Waiter was inundated with full tables but the whole team provided backup and a good overall experience. Food was good too! Catfish Burger, Salmon Burger, and Beef Brisket all got a thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night OutmnmredDined on 4/12/2014After an afternoon roaming DC, this was the perfect place to gather before catching the train(s) back to our respective stations. Union Station is busy, and since we sat in the 'lobby' there was plenty to see, but not so loud that we couldn't chat amongst ourselves. Food was good, service was great. Fun place to hang out....Thank you!Special Features:
- Good Location, OK Food, Bad ServiceAndyDined on 4/10/2014The calamari appetizer was greasy and rubbery. The ceviche was acceptable. The jicama and chayote salad with salmon, a lunch special, was exceptionally good. The service was inattentive and slow, even though the place was not crowded. The lack of a crowd during lunchtime at Union Station is a good thing if you don't want to wait, but also an indication that not many people think highly of Thunder Grill.Special Features:
- Soggy Nachos Is UsDrDoomDined on 4/8/2014Arguably one of the worst "meals" I have ever been served. The Texas Nachos appear to have been delivered from a nearby college dorm room. Perhaps moving forward, a dollop of Cheese Whiz would add inspiration. (Hint: shake first) Comatose service as well once bar crowd exited. I had been here previously and was disappointed by the downturn.
- Terrible service, bad foodbmorefoodieDined on 4/4/2014I scheduled a client meeting here and asked for a quiet spot. When I arrived no one was available to find my reservation and could not tell me if the person I was meeting had arrived. Then they seated me on the concourse where a very large high school band was playing. The service at the table was just as bad. On top of that the food was bad and they don't even refill sodas! Do NOT eat here.
- Great spot for a large groupMikeBDined on 4/2/2014We had a group of 14 people and the food and venue (Union Station) were great. Service was even better - Shawn, our server was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Location - Food needs workBeforetheShowDined on 3/14/2014We chose the location specifically because of the restaurant's location in the magnificent "beaux arts" Main Hall of Washington, DC's Union Station. We were picking someone up from the train and thought this would be a fast and easy choice. Plus side: Good menu choices, includes appeitizers, salads, sandwiches and entrees with a Southwestern US twist. But something for everyone. Fabulous location at the entrance of Union Station. Down side: Kitchen lacked attention to the order: meat was overdone and took time to arrive. [Service did make this right, however, by adding an article "on the house."] Would we go there again? Only if we were out of time and needed to be at Union Station.Special Features:
- Business Meeting 2/26PamiDined on 2/26/2014I had a business meeting there yesterday and secured a nice table in a quiet corner. That's about the only good thing I could say. The waiter had a STANK face the whole time. Disappeared! Didn't check to see if we need more beverages WE DID. Had attitude when we asked for more water and ice tea. Seemed like he wanted us gone! If the wait staff does not want to wait on customers then they are in the wrong profession.
- Need to Catch a Train?FredVIPDined on 2/17/2014Great place for a sit-down meal with fast service. Excellent alternative to the normal Union Station eat-while-standing fare!
- Good for a quick biteVidchick66Dined on 2/6/2014A decent enough place to grab a quick bite before catching a train.
- Good bar if you have to catchTravelerVIPDined on 1/20/2014Good bar if you have to catch a train. Really slow table service though.
- Not recommendedDanaDined on 1/11/2014Mexican Spring Roll came out swimming in grease, absolute awful. Hamburger and fries were less than good but not horrible. Restaurant did not appear to be clean. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone
- The food was delicious. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/20/2013The food was delicious. Service was great as well. Everyone in my party truly enjoyed themselves.Special Features:
- Railroaded at Union StationWeeeDined on 12/19/2013I tried to get a Rez for lunch by phone, asking for a table for two by the window. Had to use Open Table when they said no Rez by phone! Then got a table on concourse, tho plenty were to be had inside by the windows. Oh, well. At least the mushroom fajitas and TG home brew were good, tho service was slow. Convenient to the train to NYC afterwards!Special Features:
- Prompt service, good staff,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/19/2013Prompt service, good staff, not particularly personable but pleasant atmosphere for a daytime business or group lunch. Variety of selection good for a Tex-Mex menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Co-Workers Annual BrunchVaWitchDined on 12/15/2013This was our first time there for brunch and LOVED it all....especially being right there in Union Station made it fun to shop afterwards...only downside to the experience was the PRICEY PARKING - we had such a good time we lost track of time and paid dearly when we drove home.....ouch! Next time will try street parking or the Metro...but that will limit our shopping too....oh well maybe we'll wiork out carpooling! Loved the restaurant, waiter was very attentive, food was excellent.!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inspiring interior viewBradDined on 11/28/2013Half of the tables are in the great hall of DC's Union Station so the ambience is unique. Years ago the menu used to have more items with a focus on southwestern fare. Not so anymore, so I would not go out of my way to return. But our server was great and brisket entree I had was okay. The crabcakes my wife had were okay, but she said she had had better. Even accounting for inflation, the prices here used to be lower and the food was more diverse and interesting.Special Features:
- Good food, good timesOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/22/2013Great specials! The menu has options for all types of diets. :)Special Features:
- Decent basic foodNuka87VIPDined on 11/9/2013We wanted to have a sit-down dinner at Union Station so we ventured to Thunder Grill. We were reluctant after we read the reviews but the other sit-down restaurants at Union Station did not have better reviews so we decided to give TG a chance. To play it safe, we ordered basic fare: I had the wings (extra spicy) and my husband had the grilled chicken sandwich. My wings were well-seasoned and his sandwich was okay. The price was reasonable, the service was acceptable and the food agreed with us (which is high praise for my husband's sensitive stomach) although we both felt INCREDIBLY thirsty about 2 hours later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ate here for convenience only,barbfromdcVIPDined on 11/7/2013ate here for convenience only, would not repeat. server agreed to special sandwich order (turkey on toasted wheat, nothing else) plus substitute sweet potato fries for regular. one slice of bread toasted, other was untoasted. food delivered with regular fries and we twice asked for the sweet potato fries but never got them. Regular fries were cold and very salty. Requested at time of open table booking to have a table that could accommodate luggage but were shown a booth, which was comfy but other patrons kept stumbling over our luggage, no surprise. very ordinary fare, very ordinary to less than acceptable service, surprisingly high cost.
- Pleasant dining experienceLisaSDined on 10/27/2013A varied menu. There was something for everyone in our group. The server was also helpful in recommending some tasty appetizers that I might not have tried but for the recommendation. Everyone left with a full and satisfied tummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location location location!dstdineVIPDined on 10/11/2013We had our hearts set on going to Bea Smith's restaurant. Unfortunately we found out the restaurant was closed. Thunder Grill was a convenient second choice considering it was pouring down raining as well. The food was average. I would return to meet friends in Union Station.Special Features:
- Lunch for a BunchMotheroftheGroomDined on 9/19/2013This was a great spot for a group lunch after a Hill meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alright for Work Team LunchEmilyDC2010Dined on 9/18/2013This was my first time at Thunder Grill and I came with a group of 7 for a work lunch. The service was slow, but we looked around and realized there was a one waiter for 5 or 6 tables with groups of 6 or more. Because of that, I wouldn't necessarily say the service is always slow. However, it was during the week, during work hours, and we obviously weren't there for a leisurely lunch. The food was good, although a cold by the time we got it. Again, I think this stemmed from the one waiter, 30+ people to wait on issue. The decor is lovely and the restaurant was energetic during lunch. However, I find it odd that the sodas are not free refills. What purpose does that serve? I'll probably give it one more shot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!Gavin68Dined on 9/13/2013We made reservations here for our trip to Washington DC because we wanted a cheaper restaurant and to visit Union Station. It was a truly wonderful experience. The waiting staff were so wonderful and courteous. We could feel the trains coming in and out of the station beneath the floor. It was a lot of fun, and I'd strongly recommend this to anyone. It was truly one of the best parts of our vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First rate service, deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2013First rate service, delicious food and warm and comfortable ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Union Station at it's BestSunniOneDined on 8/23/2013I love Thunder Grill. It's a great way to get to see the happenings at Union Station from the comfort of your seat behind the wall. They also have a great happy hour.I highly recommend the salmon with the sauteed spinach.Special Features:
- Overall, good but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/22/2013Overall, good but not great. In the context of Union Station, a good alternative to B Smith's if you're looking for table service and affordability.I would recommend this to a friend.