Thunder Burger & Bar
3056 M St NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Thunder Burger & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thunderburger.com/
- Phone: 2023332888
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00am, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am *Limited Bar Menu Available For One Hour After Kitchen Closes
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Cross Street: 31st St
- Public Transit: Thunder Burger is located approximately .75 miles from both the Foggy Bottom and Rosslyn Metro stations. The Georgetown Metro Connect, the Circulator Bus and the "30"s" Metrobuses all stop within 1/2 block of the restaurant, in front of the Georgetown Barnes & Noble (east-bound) or at the corner of M and 31st St (west-bound).
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Colonial Parking operates an open-air parking lot directly across M St from Thunder Burger, as well as a garage right around the corner on 31st St. In addition there are several other public lots within a very short walk of Thunder Burger.
A word from Thunder Burger & Bar
Thunder Burger & Bar brings an edgy, rock & roll dining experience to the heart of Georgetown. Our mouthwateringly juicy and generously sized signature burgers are affordable works of art. A full selection of appetizers, refreshing salads, creative entrees and decadent home-made desserts offer a variety of dining options. Whether seated at the trendy bar, the graffiti highlighted banquettes and booths, or our ivy covered library room, sample from a large selection of American craft micro-brew beers and fine whiskeys. No matter the occasion, intimate dates, groups and families alike, enjoy the comfortable and energetic atmosphere with highly attentive service. Weekend Brunch now available, and a late-night menu is also available every evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Thunder Burger & Bar - Best Restaurants in Georgetown ›
Thunder Burger & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (17)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (10)neighborhood gem (9)hot spot (7)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)special occasion (1)Show More
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Great food! Like the set up! Menu was very user friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JujewVIPDined on 10/5/2014Decent for burgers but the brunch is weak. For example, we got eggs Benedict - one order with with crab cake and one with smoked salmon. I do t think the fish was fresh in either dish.
- Perfect for fun date night!jsuszynsDined on 10/3/2014My husband and I were looking for a quick dinner in Georgetown before catching a movie, and the staff at Thunder Burger got us in and out in 40 minutes, even though it was crowded. It was perfect, and super tasty! Definitely coming back here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underrated brunchChristinaVIPDined on 9/21/2014Went for brunch last weekend and was surprised to see how few people were there, especially given how popular brunch is for people in Georgetown. Definitely worth checking out! Large menu with lots of good options. I got the crepes and was impressed. In my opinion, better, more well priced food (and MUCH better service) than Clyde's. If you're looking for a cheaper brunch ($12-20) in Georgetown that's still delicious, this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4ukfoodiesDined on 9/19/2014Our first night in Washington, great choice as we didn't want anything too fancy. Superb burgers, good value too. Would definitely return and recommend.Special Features:
- Great place for brunchcp703Dined on 9/13/2014Even though Thunder Burger is known for their burgers and happy hour, we went for brunch and thought it was great. I had the Eggs Chesapeake (Eggs Benedict with crab) and it was very tasty.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Great lunch location -- the sweet potato fries were superb! Slow service, however. Great ambiance.Special Features:
- BIG DISAPPOINTMENTRight2EatVIPDined on 8/30/2014If you crave cold food and poor service, Thunder Burger is your spot! Otherwise, avoid it at all cost.
- AMAZING FOOD Sub Par WaiterkastravirDined on 8/20/2014Food was awesome but our waiter was awful. Brought the appetizers and entrees out together. Couldn't string together drinks and orders....or delivering drinks and taking orders. Was most likely having a rough day so I wouldn't hold it against the restaurant. Beer list and Burgers totally blew me away. Will absolutely come back without hesitationSpecial Features:
- Delicious burger and friesJaniedcDined on 8/13/2014A great place for a burger and fries that go beyond the usual and include a long list delicious toppings. There's a good drink list and a number of other tasty options for those of you who aren't burger people. I absolutely recommend giving Thunder Burger a taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb burgersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014Bison burger was great and the other burgers looked good too. The bun was good as well. The slaw was a nice sweet complement to the burger.Special Features:
- Great food but slow servicesskatVIPDined on 7/29/2014I love the food at Thunder Burger but I do not like the slow service. On this last visit, we specifically told our waiter that we were on a deadline and needed to keep the lunch moving. Service was still slow and inattentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden TreasureTamchrisDined on 7/19/2014I found this restaurant online and couldn't believe the gem it was! The decor is unique and food outstanding. The service was okay: polite and professional, not too friendly, though. The drinks were strong and well-made: the white orchid martini is a must for cosmo-lovers. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014Brought friends from out of town to this restaurant. We had a great time. The food was good and service was very friendly. Would recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/12/2014The burgers are fantastic. Create your own of choose one of the signature burgers.Special Features:
- The following 216 reviews are from the Thunder Burger & Bar reviews archive.
- Best burgers in DC!CountryroadsDined on 6/30/2014Great service and great burgers! I had a Elk burger that was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable when not filled w/16 y/osDCLocalVIPDined on 6/21/2014There was a 16th birthday party going on in the back room which took up half the place. Why they thought to put us back there in the loud chaos and screaming, I don't know. We couldn't hear each other talk so it was just eat and try to leave as quickly as possible. Unfortunately because of the party, service was slow. Couldn't even get refills on drinks. The food itself is good. But hard to enjoy given the atmosphere. They should rent out the room of they continue to cater to parties like this. No one wants to sit next to that and have their ears assaulted.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good times, Good foodRantiDined on 6/9/2014A group of us went here to end a bridal shower and it was great. We all enjoyed our food and the ambiance of the restaurant added to our celebration. The service was exceptional; would definitely come back and recommend it to friends and family!Special Features:
- Great brunchkarlsDined on 6/7/2014Extensive brunch menu with something for everyone--very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not the best hamburgersluvfoodVIPDined on 6/5/2014very mediocre hamburger in a dark place. Good selection of beers.Special Features:
- Watered Down ServicedceeeeeaterDined on 6/3/2014Let me start by saying that the food was good. I have on complaints about the food, the "Pig Wrapped in a Cow Skin" was delicious. However, our Service was lackluster with the waiter only checking in on us once and it was because a pipe had started to leak directly next to our table. We were told that we were fine because it was not hitting us even though it was splashing on the floor toward our table. The waiter informed us that this has happened before but didnt have a solution to fix it....like move us to another area (it was not crowded). Overall the food was good but the dinning experience will be something that will keep me from coming back.
- They have it allOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Alot of variety in the menu. Food is good , burgers cooked correctly. Drinks came in good size glasses. The staff was very friendly and accomadatingSpecial Features:
- The New York strip steak wasJH74VIPDined on 4/1/2014The New York strip steak was really delicious and the fries were the best I have tasted in a long time.Special Features:
- Out of TownersCalgonDined on 3/28/2014Stopped in with friends from out of state, after running all over the Mall. Very nice,with a excellent wait staff. Spot on recommendations.Special Features:
- Big Beautiful BurgersKnigelaVIPDined on 3/23/2014Kobe Burger for me and Burger with Foie Grais for my wife, both were perfectly prepared and accompanied by very good sides, fried mushrooms and sweet potato fries. Would return to satisfy a strong burger fix, great portion sizes and no residual guilt from eating every bite...Special Features:
- LOVED IT! Best burger I'veblayblayVIPDined on 3/15/2014LOVED IT! Best burger I've ever had! Build your own burger!Special Features:
- Burger HeavenPlainJaneVIPDined on 3/12/2014Great extensive beer list with flights available! Awesome burgers, favorite in dcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fries on the Planetiunique1Dined on 2/15/2014Ever had chilli cheese fries with REAL (not creamed/canned) cheese and well-seasoned beef chunks? Unless you've been here, you're missing out. Burgers are unique and you can build your own, but nothing, I mean nothing, beats the chilli cheese fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/20/2014If you're looking for a high quality burger, this is the place. I had bison, my son had a thunder burger, both cooked to perfection. Reasonably priced, about $20/person for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2014Our last visit was bad enough to warrant never coming back. After being seated next to the propped open door (it was 25 degrees outside), it took about 20 minutes for our server to come over, even after repeated attempts to get his attention. When we finally had our water glasses filled, one was overflowing, covering the table in the water. No mention of this from the server who spilled the water. After receiving our appetizers, our entrees were brought to us about 2 minutes later. The server hovered over us, our entrees cooling. After having the server watch us eat appetizers for five minutes and harrass us about making room for our (cold) entrees, we finally relented and let them clear our appetizers (before we were finished). Awful.Special Features:
- Great burgersGauchoDCDined on 1/4/2014I have been to this place in several occasions and I've always been very happy with their burgers. You can make your own burger choosing from a variety of toppings, or select one of their burger specials. The quality of the meat they use for the burgers is excellent.Special Features:
- YumBurgerboyDined on 12/23/2013Good food. Good guidance from our server. Good service. Good time. Good location. We will be back no doubt!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Burgers!love2eatDined on 12/13/2013This spot had a lot of food options. They feature several different types of burgers including chicken, beef, pork, fish, and game. The bison burger was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really goodLindab22Dined on 12/13/2013Staying in the area & just took a chance on this place. We enjoyed our dinner & went back for brunch today. Good food, nice wait staff, reasonable prices. Try it.Special Features:
- The burgers were excellent.GeorgeDVIPDined on 12/7/2013The burgers were excellent. Great selection of toppings. Very large selection of beers. However, my wife ordered a beer and what came was in a small brandy glass that cost $10, where normally a glass is a regular pint size. The reason was that it has a higher content of alcohol. Would have preferred the waitress explaining beforehand. Overall, we still loved the food and would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great burgersJules654Dined on 11/23/2013In fairness, I got the chili which was amazing, but I had a bite of my friend's burger and it was the best burger I've tasted in a long time. I will say the waitress seemed not at all interested in being our server. She wanted us out as soon as we sat down. Typically I'm used to being asked if I want a beverage when I'm first greeted by a server, she wanted to know our order. It was very odd. At one point, we had to go to the bar to get another round of drinks because she never followed up with us. I would definitely go back again because the food was great. I would hope for another server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was good. The craftJeffreyDined on 11/8/2013Service was good. The craft beer selection was good. The food was typical of a bar outing of which I rated good. It was a fun night with lots of action and noise.Special Features:
- You had me at sweet potato friesKathleenVIPDined on 11/6/2013Between the sweet potato fries and the house-made pickles, Thunder Burger has become one of my favorite haunts. Add the terrific burgers (great variety from bison to turkey) and the creative toppings (tobbacco onions! Yay!) - you can't go wrong. They must also make their mayo in house because it's spectacular - it's my new favorite condiment. The bartenders are skilled, the wine list isn't bad, the beer list is impressive and the menu is fun. Also, I love the exposed bricks and original, hand-hewn beams that were left in the dining room - definitely makes the ambiance for me. I highly recommend this restaurant for brunch, lunch, snacks, happy hour - whatever.Special Features:
- Thunderingly OKCarnoustieDined on 10/16/2013Nice food, service a bit in attentive, we were put in a quiet room in the back. A bit dull as it was quiet.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceJulesDined on 10/5/2013My husband and I went to Thunder Burger Bar before going to see a movie. They honored our reservation even though we were 15 minutes late, which was kind. The decor is very fun, and the atmosphere is inviting. Our server was very attentive and personable. We both really enjoyed our burgers, although our favorite is still the Burger Joint. We had the elk burger and the chili burger.Special Features: