Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria
50 East 3rd Ave.
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.threesanmateo.com/
- Phone: 6503449444x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast/Lunch: Monday - Friday 7:00am - 1:30pm;
Bar Service: Monday-Friday 1:30 pm-5:30pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm;
Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 9:00am - 2:00pm
Happy Hour daily 5:00-7:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alicia Petrakis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: attentive... creative... unforgettable.
Three Restaurant & Bar and the Peninsula Dining Room offer two unique venues in one historic location. Ideal for rehearsal dinners, ceremonies, corporate events and meetings.
Select from seasonal menus designed to meet a wide range of tastes and budgets.
- Private Party Contact: Alicia Petrakis 8779256315
A word from Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria
Open and inviting. Innovative and energetic. Playful surprises are found throughout the menu, as well as the restaurant itself. The menu has been designed to give you options, is perfect for sharing and you are encouraged to order however the mood strikes you, so don’t be shy about ordering more of… Well, anything. Salads and pastas created with greens and veggies from the rooftop garden should please locavores. While burger lovers will appreciate the balance of the house grind that blends brisket, short rib and sirloin. Between bites be sure to take a look at the beautiful, “Living Wall”. A wall of plants and herbs living and growing inside the restaurant itself. Take a peak at the “Peninsula Room”, an homage to the Hotel Benjamin Franklin located directly in front the exhibition kitchen.Continued
The beverage program takes a backseat to none. Eight rotating craft beers, hand-crafted cocktails, and a first-class wine program.
The beverage program takes a backseat to none. Eight rotating craft beers, hand-crafted cocktails, and a first-class wine program.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (53)fit for foodies (52)great for lunch (51)neighborhood gem (49)good for groups (43)special occasion (27)kid-friendly (26)hot spot (22)vibrant bar scene (21)late-night find (7)romantic (5)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Amazing Food, Amazingly Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Second time to Three, and once again the food was great! Stogies, bacon bitz, gnocchi and blue cheese, steak sandwich, all very good. Unfortunately as some of the other reviews have mentioned, the level of service does not match the skills of the Chef(s). Waitress rarely stopped by outside of taking orders, had zero personality, and was laughably clueless to specific food and drink items on the menu...both times. Hope the service gets better. Lots of options in San Mateo....Special Features:
- Great breakfast place!Daly2MateDined on 8/23/2014We had corned beef hash and chicken waffle sandwich and it was delicious! The serving was also generous! Love the complimentary sweet potato chips!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- like2eatDined on 8/17/2014The noise level was unacceptable. The $18 serving of crab cakes was disappointingly small. The skirt steak salad was small for a main dish and had too much dressing. I will say that we were promptly seated. Although the waiter did not seem concerned that we did not get enough to eat, he did check on us a few times. With some prompting, he brought us a small cup of free sweet potato chips. No bread came with our meals.
- BRUNCHFoodieVIPDined on 8/17/2014I have been to this restaurant 4 times for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed it, but never for brunch. It is over subscribed...reservations are not honored on time and the noise level is atrocious. The wait staff is trying to cover too many tables and kids are yelling and banging. The menu is excellent and I would suggest you try it on a Tuesday for lunch! Hopefully, they will figure out how to manage the Sunday brunch crowd better. You cannot have a conversation without screaming. The food is delicious and the menu is far superior to the previous restaurant, Astaria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three - Excellentkb121Dined on 8/12/2014I had heard good things about this Restaurant and decided to try it. Henry W and Colleagues were our EXCELLENT Servers. Between 5 of us for starters, we had the fried gruyere, yam fritters, smoked salmon pizza, and bacon bitz. . .all yummy! I had the BBQ Ribs, others had Pork Tenderloin wrapped in bacon, the Thai Salad, the Skirt Steak Salad, and one other just had the corn chowder with the starters. For dessert, we had the Chocolate HoHo with ice cream, and the Lemon Tarts to share. All plates were clean going back to the kitchen! We loved it all. Only negative, is that it can be noisy. Earlier, the bar was full and the noise level was high. As the bar crowd thinned out, noise level came down and we could talk at a normal tone.Special Features:
- Great food!AdinerDined on 8/11/2014The food was good. The service was so so. I think the waitress was too busy serving too many tables. We were splitting two appetizers and the waitress did not bring us serving spoon.Special Features:
- EmmyBeeVIPDined on 8/10/2014Disappointing overall. Reservation through Open Table... had to wait 10 minutes while they set the table... in the back, in a corner with a light shining directly into my eyes. Table for 4, 2 of us, 3 chairs... awkward. The back of the restaurant is hot, especially in the corner. I asked to be moved. The hostess immediately moved us into the front of the dining room. Much better! The crab cake eggs Benedict was ok. the eggs were undercooked as the egg white was runny and the crab cakes were only fair, no lumps, just bits of shred. I would not order again. We asked for fruit and there were moldy blueberries... It ruined the entire experience. Our waiter apologized... Also, ordered 2 glasses of orange juice, only 2/3 full.
- Best waffleSalmonDined on 8/9/2014The buttermilk waffle with fruits/cheese is a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy spot in San MateoEricDined on 8/3/2014Everyone ordered something different for our brunch. Every dish was delicious and was well presented. The service was attentive without intruding into our conversations. Our food was delivered in a reasonable length of time even though two large parties were also being served.Special Features:
- Superbrunch!LOFODined on 8/2/2014The corned beef hash was modern and fresh tasting. Can't wait to try the chicken and waffle sandwich next weekend.Special Features:
- Great Brunch in a Friendly Envt!DCvisitorDined on 8/2/2014Great breakfast pizza and very friendly service! The seemingly recently renovated restaurant is tucked away within Draper University -- an unexpected surprise on 3rd Avenue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!MadsVIPDined on 8/1/2014Service was great, food was exceptional (love the sweet potato chips and the steak), and the atmosphere was great. The bar was a little slow but the blueberry lemon drops were amazing, so it was okay. One person in my group got the spaghetti that was in a creamy marsala sauce with prawns and he loved it. Everyone should check out Three!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuncherDined on 7/30/2014I've eaten there multiple times, including special occasions, and always really liked it, both when it was Astaria and now. This was my first time having breakfast there, and it was very good. My friend had corn beef hash and I had the yogurt parfait. Service was great and it's a very friendly place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!MadsVIPDined on 7/25/2014Three was so busy last night - it was exciting! I'm thrilled that Three is doing so well and that so many people want to go there. They had different sweet potato chips last night, which weren't my favorite (I prefer the dark orange ones), but other people in my group liked them. The blueberry lemon drop - amazing. I could have 10 of those. They need to add that to their permanent drink menu. The steak and shoestring fries were great. My group also had the corn pancake with prawns as an appetizer - superb. The staff is always so friendly and welcoming; they always remember me, which is great! And, lastly, I would like to thank Alicia from Three for donating 2 gift cards to the 2014 Relay For Life of San Mateo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/25/2014WONDERFUL DISHES, GREAT SERVICE, but as the evening wore on got way to loud. Could barely carry on a conversation with the person next to you, much less across the table. Perhaps best for an early dinner (pre theater or some evening engagement). I hope to find a way to make it work, because it's a terrific addition to the peninsula dining scene.Special Features:
- ****EDALVIPDined on 7/24/2014When I booked the reservation I noted that the lunch would be a business meeting and asked if they could place my group strategically. They did a great job accomodating this request. I've requested this before at other restaurants to no avail. The Manager even checked on our table. The good was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More Veg OptionssameetVIPDined on 7/22/2014This restaurant requires far more vegetarian options for the main courses. The gnocci was not very good.Special Features:
- WandaVIPDined on 7/21/2014Our server hurried us into ordering before we were ready. She kept coming to the table every few minutes to see if we were ready. We were 5 friends who hadn't seen each other for awhile and wanted to visit a bit before looking at the menu. And, there were plenty of open tables so that wasn't the issue. After numerous visits to this restaurant, this was the first time that the service wasn't spot on.Special Features:
- Pretty GoodJohnDoughVIPDined on 7/20/2014PROS: Extensive main menu with something for everyone as well as entirely separate vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free menus! Fresh ingredients and good flavors. Nice & friendly staff. Good cocktail and beer offerings. Full brunch 7 days a week. CONS: Always full of large parties and families with young boisterous children and the restaurant unfortunately won't take charge and ask either to keep their volume reasonable for the sake of the rest of their patrons. This makes it VERY, VERY loud and hard to hold conversation without yelling. Service can be slow during peak hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/19/2014Always enjoy dining here. Quality, seasonal produce - unique menu...definitely fit for foodies! Great cocktails, too!Special Features:
- Fun food and beer; okay serviceEvans792Dined on 7/17/2014Great menu. The food is a little rich but if you like that then you're all set. Fun beer and wine list. Our service was okay - maybe she had an off night. Still definitely coming back! :)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/17/2014we love Three for lunch and dinner. They have just started serving breakfast and it is equally as good. Our new favorite spot!Special Features:
- Disappointing serviceJenniferDined on 7/13/2014I was meeting my Mom for a Sunday lunch and arrived about five minutes before her. I was seated promptly, and twice asked if I was ready to order. (Both times I explained I was waiting until the rest of the table arrived.) Mom arrived, and our drink order was taken, delivered, and then nothing for thirty minutes! No water refilled, no "are you ready to order?", no "how is everything". We finally flagged down the hostess and she took our food order, but not our drink refills. The service continued like this through the meal. All of the servers are friendly enough and nice enough, but that doesn't refill the water glass or serve the food.
- Birthdaysanniep55Dined on 7/13/2014I love this neighborhood gem. Alicia is great and has wonderful food and a great staff. I am going to frequent more often because good food,good service and clean. Also it does not break the bank.Special Features:
- AngelaDined on 7/13/2014Really nice ambience and great location in downtown San Mateo. Eight of us gathered there for brunch before the World Cup final. Personally, I do love the fried and stuffed mushroom.Special Features:
- GreatMadsVIPDined on 7/11/2014After my last week's bad experience here (which was an anomaly for Three), the operations manager apologized profusely when I came in this week and he even comped part of my dinner to make up for the bad experience last week. Thanks! The experience tonight was great. I had a fabulous cosmo and I tried the blueberry lemon drop (yum!...this might be my new drink here!). The steak and shoestring fries were great as always. My dad was with me and he had the cod; he loved it. He also had the blueberry upside down cake and loved that. The ambiance was great, the server was fabulous, and all of the other staff were great. This will always be a neighborhood gem and I think everyone should come here. I love spending Friday nights here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off NightMadsVIPDined on 7/3/2014My family goes to Three EVERY Fri. night. We rarely have problems, except for tonight (a Thursday). I ordered the chicken club (which I've had twice before) & it came out as the fried chicken club. I told the waitress (Stefanie?) I wanted the regular grilled chicken club & she started to argue with me (& still charged me for fried). She said the main chicken club is fried. I'm sorry, but 1) I've ordered this by saying "chicken club" before & it's come out fine, & 2) if I had wanted a FRIED chicken club, I would have said fried. If I have to designate that I want the chicken club not to be fried, & if I can't just say "chicken club" to get it not fried, then the menu should be updated to indicate this or the waitress should clarify.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThreeFoodieVIPDined on 7/3/2014This is a pleasant surprise...same owners as when it was Astaria but the food is MUCH better. I have been there 3 times now and the food is consistently excellent. Try the lamb burger!Special Features:
- Early BrunchGirzgettogetherDined on 6/29/2014Girls Sunday brunch. Waiter was helpful and provided good info. Brunch food was good and the restaurant was lively with a mix of people including families. Nice place to have brunch. Banana pecan pancakes was the standout in our group of various plates we ordered. Oh and the bacon bits!Special Features:
- a new favorite!ShawnaOMVIPDined on 6/28/2014Saturday night was our first time at Three. Really enjoyed it and cannot wait to come back again soon! Food was really good, yet playful. Shared some great appetizers with the husband. Overall, thought the restaurant was very reasonably priced, in a great location, with good service. We look forward to coming back soon for brunch and future dinners!Special Features:
- Love ThreeMadsVIPDined on 6/27/2014We come here every Friday night and it's always great. The hostess, servers, bus boys, bartenders etc. know us. The sweet potato chips, skirt steak, shoestring fries, drinks etc. are always amazing. I love how they have seasonal menus as well. Can't wait for the summer one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adventurous and contemporaryYumYuMeDined on 6/25/2014I've liked Three since it was Astaria. Three's menu is adventurous and contemporary. I really like the small/medium plate idea since it lets you sample several things without getting stuffed. I ordered the lamb kabobs (again) and they were just as tasty as the first time. The carrot soup special was creamy, carroty, and just a tad spicy. Very versatile--nice for a romantic evening OR a business dinner.Special Features:
- Enjoyable but . . .NancyDined on 6/20/2014Staff very friendly, trying to do the right thing but there seems to be too few servers or disorganization among the staff. Main dish came before the soup, drinks took forever and the second round came after all the meals were served. Food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/18/2014We had a few appetizers that were good. Enjoyed our cocktails too. But we were let done by the service and the main courses. I had the fried chicken which was cooked well but had no flavor, including the mash potatoes & gravy. I put salt on everything, as it didn't seem to have any, and I never do that. The salt helped a bit but it was a huge let down. Similar flavor issue with the hamburger, sandwich & fish.
- love itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014We had out of town guests and they absolutely love this place...would not consider going elsewhere. It is the one restaurant that I consider taking my friends. The food is consistently good and the wait staff attentiveSpecial Features:
- We still love Three, but...FoodLovingFamilyVIPDined on 6/15/2014We have come to Three several times and have enjoyed the menu selections. It seemed to be a perfect place for Father's Day dinner, and it was, kind of... We were seated promptly and greeted warmly. After ordering, food took a LONG time to arrive. At least 45 minutes, maybe a bit longer. There was no check ins with the waitstaff, no explanation of the delay and refills on the drinks were few and far between. When the server did offer a refill of iced tea, I thought she meant it would arrive in a few moments, not 20 minutes. When the food did finally arrive it was tasty, fresh and well prepared. We really have enjoyed our meals at Three and will return. We just hope that service and wait times can be tightened up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific FindstvklyVIPDined on 6/13/2014My wife and I ate here the other night for the first time based on an OpenTable list of area hot spots. It was delicious from the "stogies" to the mini tacos, salmon bites and bacon bits. Everything was terrific (especially the peanut butter ice cream sandwich for dessert) and we'll definitely be back. Our server was very good too and it turns out she's one of the owners. Great atmosphere, lively but not too loud. Great all around experience.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised!DedeVIPDined on 6/8/2014All of our appetizers were terrific and the Thai salad was delicious. We will be returning.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2014It was our first time and we really liked it. Food is ok, loved the vibe of the place. Will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ovwrcrowded & Very LoudJohnDoughVIPDined on 6/6/2014Wow, this place was packed! It was way too loud to have a normal conversation with my guest. It was like sitting in a giant and rambunctious bar, not a restaurant. If I wanted a bar scene, I'd go to a bar... It doesn't help that their bar spans the length of the entire restaurant without any dividing walls or separation to spare diners the earache. Thank goodness the menu was decently varied and food was fresh and tasty but it will be hard to get up and go there again because of the 'party-like' atmosphere in which half the tables were filled with loud children and the other half with drunken college kids. If you are hard of hearing or don't mind yelling through dinner then this place could be fine for you.Special Features: