Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria
50 East 3rd Ave.
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.threesanmateo.com/
- Phone: (650) 344-9444
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast/Lunch: Monday - Friday 7:30am - 2:00pm;
Bar Service: Monday-Friday 2:00 pm-5:30pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm;
Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 9:00am - 2:00pm
Happy Hour daily 5:00-7:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alicia Petrakis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: attentive... creative... unforgettable.
Three Restaurant & Bar and the Peninsula Dining Room offer two unique venues in one historic location. Ideal for rehearsal dinners, ceremonies, corporate events and meetings.
Select from seasonal menus designed to meet a wide range of tastes and budgets.
- Private Party Contact: Alicia Petrakis 8779256315
A word from Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria
Open and inviting. Innovative and energetic. Playful surprises are found throughout the menu, as well as the restaurant itself. The menu has been designed to give you options, is perfect for sharing and you are encouraged to order however the mood strikes you, so don’t be shy about ordering more of… Well, anything. Salads and pastas created with greens and veggies from the rooftop garden should please locavores. While burger lovers will appreciate the balance of the house grind that blends brisket, short rib and sirloin. Between bites be sure to take a look at the beautiful, “Living Wall”. A wall of plants and herbs living and growing inside the restaurant itself. Take a peak at the “Peninsula Room”, an homage to the Hotel Benjamin Franklin located directly in front the exhibition kitchen.Continued
The beverage program takes a backseat to none. Eight rotating craft beers, hand-crafted cocktails, and a first-class wine program.
The beverage program takes a backseat to none. Eight rotating craft beers, hand-crafted cocktails, and a first-class wine program.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)good for groups (60)great for brunch (59)neighborhood gem (57)great for lunch (55)hot spot (35)kid-friendly (28)special occasion (25)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (5)notable wine list (5)great for outdoor dining (4)romantic (3)Show More
- Watch out for very spicy menu itemsjagmackVIPDined on 11/17/2014We ordered soups and several small plates for lunch. We found the soup and two of the small plates to be very spicy, beyond the range of our tastes. We sent one back and the server commented that they had experienced several complaints on the items lately. Maybe a note on the menu for these items would be in order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible experiencemarginalmooseDined on 11/15/2014Easily the least pleasant dining experience I can recall in years. Mediocre, boring, and expensive food paired with service best described as "hot trash" or "intrusive incompetence". The staff cared much more about inflicting the restaurant's history on us (which consists of a name change at one point) than about getting any particular of the order correct. Go to the DMV without an appointment for slightly worse food and much better service.
- Brunch on a Tuesday!MadsVIPDined on 11/11/2014When I told my colleagues in San Francisco that I was going out to bottomless mimosa brunch on a Tuesday, they were shocked. "Where can you get brunch during the week?" I told them San Mateo. Three offers breakfast/brunch from 7:30am - 2pm, Monday - Friday. Three offers $16 bottomless mimosas from 9am - 2pm, 7 days/week. It's great! The place was a little bit empty on a Tuesday at 11am, but the service and food were great! I highly recommend Three for all meals of the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Apps & Drinks, OK ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014We had a group of 8-10 morphing in size through the evening, on a Saturday. We ordered a huge range of appetizers, almost all fantastic (esp. the marinated olives). The cones of salted sweet potato chips that they start tables with are stellar. Only other item I had was the cauliflower gratin, which had a surprising amount of heat to the sauce. Desserts looked great but I was stuffed by then. Something for everyone on the drink menu, with special attention paid to the ingredients. The service was what I'd call adequate -- too many people with too-narrow roles, very slow in the beginning, and only some were friendly. Nonetheless I tipped 20% because that's my policy when servers are working hard to accommodate a big group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014Fun place, great food, and LOVED using ApplePay via OpenTable to pay the bill at the end. Incidentally, the baked Alaska was soooooooo good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique. TastyPrimapieDined on 11/6/2014Three Restaurant has a fresh take on food. Service is friendly & efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome brunch!MadsVIPDined on 11/2/2014I had brunch at Three almost a year ago. It was okay but it wasn't to die for. I had brunch at Three this past Sunday and it was amazing. The bottomless mimosas are of course fabulous. I also got the 2 eggs any style + bacon + an english muffin. It doesn't seem like a lot of food at first, but it is, and it's all delicious. I highly recommend it. The 2 people I ate with ordered the corned beef hash and loved it. Brunch was fun and I definitely hope I can go again in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingMadsVIPDined on 10/31/2014I love Three. I went back for the first time in 2 weeks and it was still as amazing as always. It's nice that you can go to Three and just know that everything will be great - the service, the ambiance, the food, the music, and more. They have their new Fall drinks, which I haven't had a chance to try, but I did order a regular lemon drop, which isn't on the menu, and it was fabulous. The skirt steak balsamico and the pumpkin pork tacos are great as well. I highly recommend Three.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and ambienceShroozDined on 10/31/2014Came here with a friend for lunch and we both really enjoyed our meal. I had the seasonal soup and salad and was left begging for the recipe for the soup - they shared the ingredients with me. Want to go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014Good for a relaxing brunch with a drink on Sunday.Special Features:
- Portions on the small sideOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2014Very expansive brunch menu. Portions were a bit small. Free sweet potato chips were the highlight. Would go back if in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Great find!EssieEllisDined on 10/19/2014This is a great place in the middle of down town! The breakfast pizza, fried chicken and waffle sandwich, pork chilequiles, and egg sandwich were all phenomenal. My three friends and I shared bites because we were all so excited!Special Features:
- JDLSVIPDined on 10/19/2014Always impressed with the service here. Hands down best around! Bonus = great food, i.e. dungeness crab cakes! Love! Thank You Three!Special Features:
- luv2dine2luv2dine2VIPDined on 10/16/2014All items on menu were great. You have a choice as to size of portions as well. excellent wine list great variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rush service overshadows foodLgynVIPDined on 10/12/2014Service was very rushed and inconsistent. Server seems rushed and annoyed at us during the end of our meal even though she did not bring the main course out until 30 minutes before we fished our meal. Food was good but nothing spectacular.
- Long wait for table and drinksPaulKenVIPDined on 10/10/2014Had reservations for six at 7:30 pm. Arrived on time and had to wait 45 minutes for our table. After giving our drink order we waited 20 minutes for drinks to arrive. Food and service was fair.Special Features:
- Great food, but turn down the lightHungryhunterDined on 10/7/2014The food and the experience was all quite positive. Flaming Humberto's Inferno is definitely a crowd-pleaser. Service was great. Came away feeling like the food was so good, and portions ample, why then did the ambiance feel more like a diner? The food is deserving of a very nice white tablecloth restaurant. Unfortunately there is there is none of that to be found.Special Features:
- Great findCoachDined on 10/4/2014Nice staff, great food, well priced, not too loud and you can hear the conversation, yet not too quite where others can hear your conversation. Also saw availability for a group dinner. Will definitely remember that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new Fall menu!MadsVIPDined on 10/3/2014The Fall menu is out and it's great! The pork & pumpkin tacos are fabulous. One person in my group also tried the butternut squash ravioli and loved it. The raspberry sorbet is delicious too. Can't wait to try other things on the new menu! (I'm also happy that they still are selling the blueberry lemon drop!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best in that location thus far.EatforfunVIPDined on 10/1/2014Good from onion soup to dessert. Interesting menu. Friendly staff. Salad choice very good. Southern style fried chicken very moist. Will want to go back to try all other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JenGVIPDined on 9/28/2014Very disappointing! We arrived at 10:00 AM for our reservations and did not get seated until almost 10:30 AM. There were table open yet we had to stand around in a very small crowded area. We ended up getting seated in one of those table that sat open the whole time. The food was nothing special. Had been to Astaria before the change and I know it's the same owner but Astaria was much nicer and the food was better.
- Marvelous birthday brunchSwankieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Really enjoyed Three Restaurant.It was elegant, family-friendly at brunch, there were numerous kids birthday parties going on amongst the dining table. Even small things can be elevated with a skilled hand and the best ingredients. Poached eggs and canadian bacon and a terrific vegetable omlette that was delicate yet filling. Great lattes and a pineapple blueberry upside down cake was fabulous. I was surprised it was so good.Special Features:
- Amazing as alwaysMadsVIPDined on 9/26/2014Three is great! Everyone should definitely check it out. Their menu is changing any day now to the Fall menu, so I can't speak to that menu, but the Summer menu has been great. Love the NY strip, the sweet potato chips, the blueberry lemon drop, and the limoncello sorbet. This past Friday, they were out of limoncello sorbet and had raspberry sorbet - great as well! Everything I've ever had here has been fabulous. I highly recommend Three. Side note: they now have happy hour and sometimes they also have specials. Follow them on Facebook and Twitter and you'll get to find out about various discounts and ways to get discounts (such as wearing Giants gear on Fridays).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great foodLindyVIPDined on 9/26/2014We have never had a bad dish here - everything is delicious and the drinks are great! Noise level is very loud - not good for older folks or for a quiet dinner.Special Features:
- Very noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/26/2014Everything was very good. However very hard to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative and creative2pickyVIPDined on 9/26/2014We shared small plates and found every bite to be excellent. Two happy wine drinkers and a happy cocktail person as well. Parking was a bit tricky with no more valet but we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- LOVE it!!Luv2eatandchatDined on 9/26/2014I love it when it was Astaria....live it even more now! Food is simply amazing, staff is awesome and the whole vibe is really cool. Planning on having a larger family dinner here soon. So worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 9/24/2014This restaurant is consistantly so noisey that you cannot talk. The acoustics need some work. It spoils your meal. The wait staff is not attentive enough and we had to wait between courses and a long time for our check. No one ever asked if we wanted another glass of wine. The water was replenished constantly though! It seems that each group tries to out shout the next and there is nothing to absorb the noise.Special Features:
- Love the new menuDebsterVIPDined on 9/23/2014And brunch until 2pm everyday. The ambiance is a little more hipster than I would choose, but the food and service are exceptional. Love some of the new items and the fact that old favorites are still intact. Can't wait to come back for appetizers and drinks with a crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotDedeVIPDined on 9/16/2014Creative menu. Love the mushroom stogies and Thai salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three & Out!!!123DWSDined on 9/14/2014Starters were excellent-Fry Calamari and Smoked Salmon Pizza were outstanding. Tacos were tasty and spicy but the pulled pork was burnt, over-cooked and dried. The chicken/waffle sandwich with maple sauce was terrible. The chicken was unrecognizable, overcooked, unedible, and difficult to swallow. Limited choice in desserts, nothing exotic, or memorable. The service was excellent and our server was very pleasant.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 9/11/2014This is my 6th visit to this retaurant. The noise level is still really bad but the food is great. The chef really tries to put out an interesting blend of flavors in his selections. it is too bad that they cannot solve the noise level. It is not relaxing to have to lean across the table and raise your voice in order to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute and happy placeANNEVIPDined on 9/6/2014Service was slow but very nice. Comfort food place with good selections. Well-priced for serving size and choices.
- Good for meeting an old frienddatrueDined on 9/5/2014What I really appreciate at Three is that you can have really good food, great drinks and good conversations with people at the same time. The noise level is really bearable and that makes it great for meeting people you haven't seen for a while and you need to catch up with. I personally like to mix and match their appetizers even though their main courses look good too.Special Features:
- Three is amazing.MadsVIPDined on 9/5/2014I love Three. All of the food is great. The ambiance is great, the service is wonderful, and the restaurant itself is cute and colorful. I had the Coffee-Chili Rubbed NY Strip “STRIP”, the lamb kebab appetizer, the limoncello sorbet dessert, and the blueberry lemon drop drink. It was all delicious. Three has happy hour now too, which I haven't tried yet, but I'm sure it's awesome and I highly recommend it (and hopefully, I'll be trying it soon!) I also love how involved Three is in the community, from having chili at the San Mateo Fire Dept Chili Cook Off (the chili was delicious!) to donating gift cards to different charity events. Finally, even if you don't want a sit down dinner, the bar is great. I went on my birthday & it was fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cramped SeatingshirlsterDined on 9/1/2014Seating was too tight for the food servers and customers to pass. Servers always bumped our chairs. The table next to us was so loud, but then again our tables were too close. Our table was only made for 6 people and I reserved for 7 plus we needed a high chair. I would think the servers would of tried to accommodate us with a larger table. But the food was - Outstanding!! Would I come back, definitely but at a bigger table!Special Features:
- JDLSVIPDined on 9/1/2014I hosted my grandmother's surprise 91st birthday at Three for about 25 people on the labor day holiday. Loved the ease of the reservation process for our large group (originally 20) and really appreciated that a credit card was not requested. Street parking was super easy and plentiful. Our area/table were perfect for our group. We were away from the main dining room and we were able to spend some real quality time with our family without the interupptions of being stuck in a crowd. The food was absolutely amazing - everything tasted fabulous! Please don't ever change the crab dungeness benedict! Last but definitely not least, ALL OF THE STAFF WERE TRULY WONDERFUL! Thank you so much for making our event PERFECT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingThe1Big1ShrimpVIPDined on 9/1/2014I gave THREE another shot inviting a group of 8 for a birthday brunch. The service left much to be desired. Upon our arrival we were told our group could not be seated until the entire party of 8 arrived, though the hostess began seating people that arrived after us without their entire party present. Bottomless mimosas sat unfilled for 15/20 minutes at a time and our server ignored us most of the time. The food was good but was brought out at different times and 2 plates were incorrect. I had to ask for 2 spoons 3 times. We asked for our check and it came almost 30 mins after. I got charged twice. We won't be returning and I won't recommend THREE to any colleagues or friends, it was an embarassing pick on my end.Special Features:
- Consider Dining Elsewhere...WineNDineDined on 8/31/2014Even though the food was great (although VERY small portions), it certainly did not make up for the fact that our service was terrible, some of the food was cold by the time it was served, and it took 45 minutes to place a drink order. Our waiter was MIA for the majority of the meal and we were never once asked how our food, drinks, experience, etc. were. Plus we were only a party of 3 and in my opinion not very high maintenance. I would absolutely NEVER recommend this restaurant to anyone!
- 3 Restaurant = 4 starsHAPPYTUMMYDined on 8/30/20141st star for the Mushroom Stogies - too yummy - I get them every time I come here. 2nd star for the our server - I wish I caught his name. He was very patient with group (who were too busy catching up to look at the menu) & kept our water glasses and wine glasses full. We didn't feel rushed at all even though we closed down the joint. (It had been over 30 years since we had seen one another & had lots to talk about.) "3" star for the selection of appetizers, entrees, salads & desserts they have to offer. I hate spending my hard earned cash on ordinary grub. Loved the homemade HOHO and the watermelon cucumber salad. 4th star - killer Negroni. Overall great experience - will come back again and again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.