Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria
50 East 3rd Ave.
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.threesanmateo.com/
- Phone: 6503449444x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast/Lunch: Monday - Friday 7:00am - 1:30pm;
Bar Service: Monday-Friday 1:30 pm-5:30pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm;
Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 9:00am - 2:00pm
Happy Hour daily 5:00-7:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alicia Petrakis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: attentive... creative... unforgettable.
Three Restaurant & Bar and the Peninsula Dining Room offer two unique venues in one historic location. Ideal for rehearsal dinners, ceremonies, corporate events and meetings.
Select from seasonal menus designed to meet a wide range of tastes and budgets.
- Private Party Contact: Alicia Petrakis 8779256315
A word from Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria
Open and inviting. Innovative and energetic. Playful surprises are found throughout the menu, as well as the restaurant itself. The menu has been designed to give you options, is perfect for sharing and you are encouraged to order however the mood strikes you, so don’t be shy about ordering more of… Well, anything. Salads and pastas created with greens and veggies from the rooftop garden should please locavores. While burger lovers will appreciate the balance of the house grind that blends brisket, short rib and sirloin. Between bites be sure to take a look at the beautiful, “Living Wall”. A wall of plants and herbs living and growing inside the restaurant itself. Take a peak at the “Peninsula Room”, an homage to the Hotel Benjamin Franklin located directly in front the exhibition kitchen.Continued
The beverage program takes a backseat to none. Eight rotating craft beers, hand-crafted cocktails, and a first-class wine program.
The beverage program takes a backseat to none. Eight rotating craft beers, hand-crafted cocktails, and a first-class wine program.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (63)great for brunch (61)great for lunch (56)good for groups (55)neighborhood gem (54)kid-friendly (30)hot spot (30)special occasion (25)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (5)notable wine list (5)romantic (4)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Long wait for table and drinksPaulKenVIPDined on 10/10/2014Had reservations for six at 7:30 pm. Arrived on time and had to wait 45 minutes for our table. After giving our drink order we waited 20 minutes for drinks to arrive. Food and service was fair.Special Features:
- Great food, but turn down the lightHungryhunterDined on 10/7/2014The food and the experience was all quite positive. Flaming Humberto's Inferno is definitely a crowd-pleaser. Service was great. Came away feeling like the food was so good, and portions ample, why then did the ambiance feel more like a diner? The food is deserving of a very nice white tablecloth restaurant. Unfortunately there is there is none of that to be found.Special Features:
- Great findCoachDined on 10/4/2014Nice staff, great food, well priced, not too loud and you can hear the conversation, yet not too quite where others can hear your conversation. Also saw availability for a group dinner. Will definitely remember that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new Fall menu!MadsVIPDined on 10/3/2014The Fall menu is out and it's great! The pork & pumpkin tacos are fabulous. One person in my group also tried the butternut squash ravioli and loved it. The raspberry sorbet is delicious too. Can't wait to try other things on the new menu! (I'm also happy that they still are selling the blueberry lemon drop!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best in that location thus far.EatforfunVIPDined on 10/1/2014Good from onion soup to dessert. Interesting menu. Friendly staff. Salad choice very good. Southern style fried chicken very moist. Will want to go back to try all other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JenGVIPDined on 9/28/2014Very disappointing! We arrived at 10:00 AM for our reservations and did not get seated until almost 10:30 AM. There were table open yet we had to stand around in a very small crowded area. We ended up getting seated in one of those table that sat open the whole time. The food was nothing special. Had been to Astaria before the change and I know it's the same owner but Astaria was much nicer and the food was better.
- Marvelous birthday brunchSwankieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Really enjoyed Three Restaurant.It was elegant, family-friendly at brunch, there were numerous kids birthday parties going on amongst the dining table. Even small things can be elevated with a skilled hand and the best ingredients. Poached eggs and canadian bacon and a terrific vegetable omlette that was delicate yet filling. Great lattes and a pineapple blueberry upside down cake was fabulous. I was surprised it was so good.Special Features:
- Amazing as alwaysMadsVIPDined on 9/26/2014Three is great! Everyone should definitely check it out. Their menu is changing any day now to the Fall menu, so I can't speak to that menu, but the Summer menu has been great. Love the NY strip, the sweet potato chips, the blueberry lemon drop, and the limoncello sorbet. This past Friday, they were out of limoncello sorbet and had raspberry sorbet - great as well! Everything I've ever had here has been fabulous. I highly recommend Three. Side note: they now have happy hour and sometimes they also have specials. Follow them on Facebook and Twitter and you'll get to find out about various discounts and ways to get discounts (such as wearing Giants gear on Fridays).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great foodLindyVIPDined on 9/26/2014We have never had a bad dish here - everything is delicious and the drinks are great! Noise level is very loud - not good for older folks or for a quiet dinner.Special Features:
- Very noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/26/2014Everything was very good. However very hard to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative and creative2pickyVIPDined on 9/26/2014We shared small plates and found every bite to be excellent. Two happy wine drinkers and a happy cocktail person as well. Parking was a bit tricky with no more valet but we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- LOVE it!!Luv2eatandchatDined on 9/26/2014I love it when it was Astaria....live it even more now! Food is simply amazing, staff is awesome and the whole vibe is really cool. Planning on having a larger family dinner here soon. So worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 9/24/2014This restaurant is consistantly so noisey that you cannot talk. The acoustics need some work. It spoils your meal. The wait staff is not attentive enough and we had to wait between courses and a long time for our check. No one ever asked if we wanted another glass of wine. The water was replenished constantly though! It seems that each group tries to out shout the next and there is nothing to absorb the noise.Special Features:
- Love the new menuDebsterVIPDined on 9/23/2014And brunch until 2pm everyday. The ambiance is a little more hipster than I would choose, but the food and service are exceptional. Love some of the new items and the fact that old favorites are still intact. Can't wait to come back for appetizers and drinks with a crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotDedeVIPDined on 9/16/2014Creative menu. Love the mushroom stogies and Thai salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three & Out!!!123DWSDined on 9/14/2014Starters were excellent-Fry Calamari and Smoked Salmon Pizza were outstanding. Tacos were tasty and spicy but the pulled pork was burnt, over-cooked and dried. The chicken/waffle sandwich with maple sauce was terrible. The chicken was unrecognizable, overcooked, unedible, and difficult to swallow. Limited choice in desserts, nothing exotic, or memorable. The service was excellent and our server was very pleasant.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 9/11/2014This is my 6th visit to this retaurant. The noise level is still really bad but the food is great. The chef really tries to put out an interesting blend of flavors in his selections. it is too bad that they cannot solve the noise level. It is not relaxing to have to lean across the table and raise your voice in order to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute and happy placeANNEVIPDined on 9/6/2014Service was slow but very nice. Comfort food place with good selections. Well-priced for serving size and choices.
- Good for meeting an old frienddatrueDined on 9/5/2014What I really appreciate at Three is that you can have really good food, great drinks and good conversations with people at the same time. The noise level is really bearable and that makes it great for meeting people you haven't seen for a while and you need to catch up with. I personally like to mix and match their appetizers even though their main courses look good too.Special Features:
- Three is amazing.MadsVIPDined on 9/5/2014I love Three. All of the food is great. The ambiance is great, the service is wonderful, and the restaurant itself is cute and colorful. I had the Coffee-Chili Rubbed NY Strip “STRIP”, the lamb kebab appetizer, the limoncello sorbet dessert, and the blueberry lemon drop drink. It was all delicious. Three has happy hour now too, which I haven't tried yet, but I'm sure it's awesome and I highly recommend it (and hopefully, I'll be trying it soon!) I also love how involved Three is in the community, from having chili at the San Mateo Fire Dept Chili Cook Off (the chili was delicious!) to donating gift cards to different charity events. Finally, even if you don't want a sit down dinner, the bar is great. I went on my birthday & it was fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cramped SeatingshirlsterDined on 9/1/2014Seating was too tight for the food servers and customers to pass. Servers always bumped our chairs. The table next to us was so loud, but then again our tables were too close. Our table was only made for 6 people and I reserved for 7 plus we needed a high chair. I would think the servers would of tried to accommodate us with a larger table. But the food was - Outstanding!! Would I come back, definitely but at a bigger table!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/1/2014I hosted my grandmother's surprise 91st birthday at Three for about 25 people on the labor day holiday. Loved the ease of the reservation process for our large group (originally 20) and really appreciated that a credit card was not requested. Street parking was super easy and plentiful. Our area/table were perfect for our group. We were away from the main dining room and we were able to spend some real quality time with our family without the interupptions of being stuck in a crowd. The food was absolutely amazing - everything tasted fabulous! Please don't ever change the crab dungeness benedict! Last but definitely not least, ALL OF THE STAFF WERE TRULY WONDERFUL! Thank you so much for making our event PERFECT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingThe1Big1ShrimpVIPDined on 9/1/2014I gave THREE another shot inviting a group of 8 for a birthday brunch. The service left much to be desired. Upon our arrival we were told our group could not be seated until the entire party of 8 arrived, though the hostess began seating people that arrived after us without their entire party present. Bottomless mimosas sat unfilled for 15/20 minutes at a time and our server ignored us most of the time. The food was good but was brought out at different times and 2 plates were incorrect. I had to ask for 2 spoons 3 times. We asked for our check and it came almost 30 mins after. I got charged twice. We won't be returning and I won't recommend THREE to any colleagues or friends, it was an embarassing pick on my end.Special Features:
- Consider Dining Elsewhere...WineNDineDined on 8/31/2014Even though the food was great (although VERY small portions), it certainly did not make up for the fact that our service was terrible, some of the food was cold by the time it was served, and it took 45 minutes to place a drink order. Our waiter was MIA for the majority of the meal and we were never once asked how our food, drinks, experience, etc. were. Plus we were only a party of 3 and in my opinion not very high maintenance. I would absolutely NEVER recommend this restaurant to anyone!
- 3 Restaurant = 4 starsHAPPYTUMMYDined on 8/30/20141st star for the Mushroom Stogies - too yummy - I get them every time I come here. 2nd star for the our server - I wish I caught his name. He was very patient with group (who were too busy catching up to look at the menu) & kept our water glasses and wine glasses full. We didn't feel rushed at all even though we closed down the joint. (It had been over 30 years since we had seen one another & had lots to talk about.) "3" star for the selection of appetizers, entrees, salads & desserts they have to offer. I hate spending my hard earned cash on ordinary grub. Loved the homemade HOHO and the watermelon cucumber salad. 4th star - killer Negroni. Overall great experience - will come back again and again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKFinn5Dined on 8/30/2014Came to 3 with my husband for a birthday dinner. The menu was printed with Happy Birthday on the cover which is a nice touch! The crab cake appetizer was delish. I ordered the skirt steak which was tasty although it was the tiniest portion which my husband was not happy about because he always likes to eat part of my dinner! He ordered the Cioppino which is probably his fave meal in the world. He was quite disappointed though because it was served over a load of spaghetti so it felt more like a pasta dish as opposed to true Cioppino. Also he ordered bread and we were charged for it which is crazy. Cioppino needs bread for dipping in the sauce! They did remove the charge when we complained but who wants to do that! Cocktails were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food, Amazingly Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/24/2014Second time to Three, and once again the food was great! Stogies, bacon bitz, gnocchi and blue cheese, steak sandwich, all very good. Unfortunately as some of the other reviews have mentioned, the level of service does not match the skills of the Chef(s). Waitress rarely stopped by outside of taking orders, had zero personality, and was laughably clueless to specific food and drink items on the menu...both times. Hope the service gets better. Lots of options in San Mateo....Special Features:
- gcriticDined on 8/24/2014Wonderful brunch, great atmosphere, extremely vibrant for a Sunday morning! Food was absolutely wonderful, but service was very poor. Will definitely return, as the ambiance and food were tops.Special Features:
- Great breakfast place!Daly2MateVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had corned beef hash and chicken waffle sandwich and it was delicious! The serving was also generous! Love the complimentary sweet potato chips!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- like2eatDined on 8/17/2014The noise level was unacceptable. The $18 serving of crab cakes was disappointingly small. The skirt steak salad was small for a main dish and had too much dressing. I will say that we were promptly seated. Although the waiter did not seem concerned that we did not get enough to eat, he did check on us a few times. With some prompting, he brought us a small cup of free sweet potato chips. No bread came with our meals.
- BRUNCHFoodieVIPDined on 8/17/2014I have been to this restaurant 4 times for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed it, but never for brunch. It is over subscribed...reservations are not honored on time and the noise level is atrocious. The wait staff is trying to cover too many tables and kids are yelling and banging. The menu is excellent and I would suggest you try it on a Tuesday for lunch! Hopefully, they will figure out how to manage the Sunday brunch crowd better. You cannot have a conversation without screaming. The food is delicious and the menu is far superior to the previous restaurant, Astaria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three - Excellentkb121Dined on 8/12/2014I had heard good things about this Restaurant and decided to try it. Henry W and Colleagues were our EXCELLENT Servers. Between 5 of us for starters, we had the fried gruyere, yam fritters, smoked salmon pizza, and bacon bitz. . .all yummy! I had the BBQ Ribs, others had Pork Tenderloin wrapped in bacon, the Thai Salad, the Skirt Steak Salad, and one other just had the corn chowder with the starters. For dessert, we had the Chocolate HoHo with ice cream, and the Lemon Tarts to share. All plates were clean going back to the kitchen! We loved it all. Only negative, is that it can be noisy. Earlier, the bar was full and the noise level was high. As the bar crowd thinned out, noise level came down and we could talk at a normal tone.Special Features:
- Great food!AdinerDined on 8/11/2014The food was good. The service was so so. I think the waitress was too busy serving too many tables. We were splitting two appetizers and the waitress did not bring us serving spoon.Special Features:
- EmmyBeeVIPDined on 8/10/2014Disappointing overall. Reservation through Open Table... had to wait 10 minutes while they set the table... in the back, in a corner with a light shining directly into my eyes. Table for 4, 2 of us, 3 chairs... awkward. The back of the restaurant is hot, especially in the corner. I asked to be moved. The hostess immediately moved us into the front of the dining room. Much better! The crab cake eggs Benedict was ok. the eggs were undercooked as the egg white was runny and the crab cakes were only fair, no lumps, just bits of shred. I would not order again. We asked for fruit and there were moldy blueberries... It ruined the entire experience. Our waiter apologized... Also, ordered 2 glasses of orange juice, only 2/3 full.
- Best waffleSalmonDined on 8/9/2014The buttermilk waffle with fruits/cheese is a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy spot in San MateoEricDined on 8/3/2014Everyone ordered something different for our brunch. Every dish was delicious and was well presented. The service was attentive without intruding into our conversations. Our food was delivered in a reasonable length of time even though two large parties were also being served.Special Features:
- Superbrunch!LOFODined on 8/2/2014The corned beef hash was modern and fresh tasting. Can't wait to try the chicken and waffle sandwich next weekend.Special Features:
- Great Brunch in a Friendly Envt!DCvisitorDined on 8/2/2014Great breakfast pizza and very friendly service! The seemingly recently renovated restaurant is tucked away within Draper University -- an unexpected surprise on 3rd Avenue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!MadsVIPDined on 8/1/2014Service was great, food was exceptional (love the sweet potato chips and the steak), and the atmosphere was great. The bar was a little slow but the blueberry lemon drops were amazing, so it was okay. One person in my group got the spaghetti that was in a creamy marsala sauce with prawns and he loved it. Everyone should check out Three!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuncherDined on 7/30/2014I've eaten there multiple times, including special occasions, and always really liked it, both when it was Astaria and now. This was my first time having breakfast there, and it was very good. My friend had corn beef hash and I had the yogurt parfait. Service was great and it's a very friendly place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.