Three Flags Tavern
4940 Southwest Ave
Saint Louis, MO 63110Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Three Flags Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.threeflagstavern.com/
- Phone: 3146699222x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Tuesday through Sunday
Tuesday: Lunch 11am-2pm, Limited Menu 2pm-5pm, Dinner 5pm-10pm
Wednesday: Lunch 11am-2pm, Limited Menu 2pm-5pm, Dinner 5pm-10pm
Thursday: Lunch 11am-2pm, Limited Menu 2pm-5pm, Dinner 5pm-10pm
Friday: Lunch 11am-2pm, Limited Menu 2pm-5pm, Dinner 5pm-11pm
Saturday: Brunch 10am-2pm, Limited Menu 2pm-5pm, Dinner 5pm-11pm
Sunday Brunch: 10am-2pm
Bar open to close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John O'Brien
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Three Flags Tavern
Bringing the finer points of hospitality together with the unique history and culture of St. Louis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Three Flags Tavern - Best Restaurants in Southwest Garden ›
Three Flags Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (104)neighborhood gem (102)great for outdoor dining (70)great for lunch (37)special occasion (32)hot spot (25)romantic (20)vibrant bar scene (16)notable wine list (15)good for groups (14)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (8)late-night find (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- yearning for lobsteroll!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014We went on Saturday at Brunch craving a lobster roll, not knowing it was not part of the brunch menu. Luckily the chef accomadated our craving. it was delicious! We had that and a fabulous Mimosa and were more than satisfied. We loved the outdoor dining space, however had to admit the street traffic is just a little noisy even on a Saturday. All of the other food looked and smelled wonderful! i look forward to my next meal!Special Features:
- Would never go back!!!ForestViewDined on 9/20/2014I took my 83 yr. old Mom here for her birthday with her friend. We ordered drinks, apps, sides, entrees, dessert and coffee. As we were sitting talking after finishing our coffee, the owner came over and asked if we could move tables because there was a party that had specifically requested our table. As we looked around, there were several empty tables. We told the owner we thought it was rude to ask us to leave (which was what it felt like she was telling us) when there were other empty tables. She said they allot 2 hours per table and she had already let us stay an extra 1/2 hour!! My Mom's friend ordered the fried chicken which takes 1/2 hour so it was not as though we were lingering for hours. Very rude-horrible customer service!
- NannaDiDined on 9/20/2014I have a garlic allergy so I was disappointed that both fish specials had garlic. (I don't eat meat). But the trout, on the regular menu was great. Beet salad was very good, but beets a little too "raw"for my tastes. Always enjoy the meal there.Special Features:
- Fun and TastyBobSDined on 9/19/2014Three Flags Tavern does everything they try to do, and they do it well: They're friendly and knowledgeable, and they've definitely taken pub food to a new level. The reviews in the paper were so enthusiastic that I expected the food to be among the best I ever tasted. It wasn't, but, at moderate prices in a pleasant tavern atmosphere, why should it be? Everything we ate was delicious with the exception of the berry pie for dessert - that was just fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie12Dined on 9/13/2014Extremely loud could not even hear server who was inept and inexperienced; over priced for the quantity - $20 for a single pork chop and a spoon of beans; numerous specials that should have been given as a separate menu as a new restaurant they should be keeping it simple and getting it right then add menu items as kitchen and service gets established. The chairs are not the right height for the tables Members of my party will likely not return.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014First time dining at TFT. Extremely comfortable seating. Great beer and wine selection. Both my wife and I enjoyed what we ordered. Food was presented wonderfully and the hot food came out nice and hot. I left with a big smile on my face and I look forward to coming back.Special Features:
- Excellent second visitSTLFoodieDined on 9/12/2014We enjoyed Three Flags for our second meal and challenged ourselves to order new things on the menu -- as our first instinct was to order the same items from our first visit. Once again the service staff was excellent -- our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu, the specials and wine and beer selections. She was attentive but not overbearing; her timing was was excellent. The young man who refreshed our water and cleared the table was most professional as well. All levels of staff suggest a great training and orientation program at the restaurant. All our food was good and well prepared and seasoned. If there was a weak link it was our desserts. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!VSTLVIPDined on 9/11/2014Our server was excellent, she was knowledgeable and if she did not know she found out. We had the paté and a special of calamari as starters and both were delicious. This was followed by the trout and a side of Brussels sprouts and again everything was very good. Sharing the flourless chocolate cake was an excellent finish. I have no doubt that I will return and try out the other enticing options on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner with Old FriendsJimandnancyDined on 9/10/2014Wonderful dinner. Great service. We arrived before the noise level made talking hard as it did later in evening. Appetizers of escargot, chicken liver mouse and monte christo were excellent Main courses of the veal chop special and trout were large servings and tasty esp with the sauces. Sides of cauliflower gratin and roasted brussel sprouts were some of the best have had. Ended with the flour less chocolate cake which was very nice. Service was outstanding but not overly attentive. We would gladly return for dinner again or to try weekend brunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014I had a great birthday dinner. Dining room was small and a bit too loud, but the food and service were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So lucky!bbbbDined on 9/4/2014St. Louis is so lucky to have this wonderful restaurant to add to the dining scene. They are so welcoming! The staff is amazing and the food exceptional. It's our 2nd time (only b/c everybody else has found out about it) and we can't wait to come back. Thanks again for another great meal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to try dinnerSTLFoodManDined on 9/4/2014We enjoyed 3 Flags for lunch on Thursday and could not have been more pleased with our experience. The menu is limited, however there are more than enough selections for a great lunch. The lobster roll sandwich was one of the best I've had, something about buttery lobster meat on a nice poppy roll is just heaven. The jambalaya was delicious and the Cuban Sandwich was a very nice portion size, providing my wife a nice take home snack. Service was top notch and I always enjoy owners who are visable in the restaurant and it gives the place a home like feel. We can't wait to get back for dinner.Special Features:
- Go thereAlanDined on 9/2/2014The skillet fried chicken was absolutely worth the twenty minute wait. A first course salad, often an afterthought, is worth the trip there just on its own. The buttermilk pie we shared for dessert was the perfect ending to a truly great meal. We didn't sit outside, but their patio area looked quite charming. In addition, our server was very attentive without being cloying. Overall, I recommend Three Flags Tavern highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet TavernWhatever11Dined on 9/2/2014Interesting and delicious food combinations. This place will be around a long time.Special Features:
- A Nice New PlaceBARSTLVIPDined on 8/29/2014I really liked this place. The staff were friendly and the food was quite good. My companion, who can eat the seafood that I must avoid, was especially pleased by the lobster roll. I'll go back. But, probably due to some glitch, the time it took to get us our food was far too long. The place didn't seem to be understaffed or staffed with hostile or unmotivated people—they all seemed just great, when we had their attention—so I think this was just a fluke.Special Features:
- The hype is true!STLFoodieVIPDined on 8/28/2014Three Flags lives up to it's hype! I took my Food Lovers Meetup group and we were wonderfully accommodated. Love the decor and the nice patio too. Service was excellent - our server kept us full of drink and food coming in a timely manner. Our table had mussells, lobster beignets, and octopus as appetizers - all delicious! Main courses: lobster roll (delicious but very small amount of meat), lamb burger, regular burger, fried chicken, and trout. Everyone was happy with their dinner. For dessert, the pot de creme of chocolate was divine! and the creme brulee was as it should be. Great draft beer selection and cocktails were unique. Highly recommend this wonderful gem, and plan to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous First FeasttoastferatuDined on 8/28/2014First visit to Three Flags Tavern was in almost all respects outstanding. Cockle w/Pheasant-Pork Sausage appetizer (off-menu special) was absolutely delicious and could have been followed by another order of same. Chopped Salad turned out to be much better than its generic name would indicate. Trout/Marcona Almond was very good w/excellent sauce, though the horseradish flan need some "punch." The Cauliflower Gratin side exceeded expectations. The Fried Chicken, recommended by friend, was also quite good. Service was much better than one has come to expect in contemporary casual dining. Criticism: too noisy. But, that said, the quality food and service received far outweigh any noise complaints and this restaurant deserves high marks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely go back...javamama3VIPDined on 8/27/2014Great upscale atmosphere & outdoor patio with variety on a scaled down menu and our food was great. We went for lunch, but have already returned for a late dinner & was impressed both times with our food & servers. The burger was great, the Cuban was pretty good, the seasoned fries with cumin ketchup were a great housemade take, and the mini monte cristos were to die for - with a pepper jelly that sent it over the top & were not mini! I could only finish 2 of the 3. But others wouldn't let those go to waste. Excited to have this upscale tavern in the neighborhood - my husband said this could be his new favorite place. Looking forward to trying the lobster roll next time. Impressed.Special Features:
- Real GoodNicknameVIPDined on 8/26/2014Food is good, service is good. Loud dining room...very hard to hear dining companions or wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!JyoungcardfanDined on 8/23/2014By the time we left, it was packed and the noise level was over-the-top, but that won't deter me from returning. Service was outstanding, menu has nothing typical or mundane (unless you think fried chicken is mundane-it was great!) We were there for 2 1/2 hours and loved every minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NannaDiDined on 8/23/2014The chef was very accommodating about my garlic allergy. The noise level is always too high after it gets crowded. But the food is still worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, fun, and freshLizSellsSTLDined on 8/22/2014The food was wonderful. I had a burger and it was an excellent option for lunch. The fries were seasoned and tasty. It does get pretty noisy, so it is not a quiet, romantic spot.Special Features:
- Delicious foodReedelemDined on 8/21/2014My friend and I had the trout, which was wonderful. Loved the creamy horseradish, even though I'm not big on hot spicy things. This was perfect combined with the lingonberry sauce. The presentation was appealing. Our husbands ordered the brisket hamburger and they loved their entrees. We all shared the cauliflower au gratin - could have used just a little bit more cheese (but then I LOVE cheese)The chopped salad has all kinds of interesting items chopped up small so ever bite had multi flavors. Naturally we all had dessert: buttermilk pie with blueberry sauce and flourless chocolate pie. Amazing. The only drawback is the loud noise level. It was very hard for the 4 of use to have a conversation. Next time we'll try outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealSteveDined on 8/20/2014My wife and I tried 3 Flags for the first time and we were really impressed. We made reservations but arrived early so we decided to eat at the bar. The bar was fun and drinks were reasonable. We tried the Connecticut lobster roll and Pork 3 ways. Both dishes were excellent. The lobster roll has lots of lobster. The pork dish had a delicious sauce different types of pork including a pork chop and a pork loin. The pork was cooked perfectly. We really enjoyed our experience and will definitely be back soon.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerMisplacedTexanDined on 8/20/2014We went here to celebrate our anniversary and we were not disappointed. The food was amazing and the service was spectacular. Our server was well versed in the menu and specials, and even explained to us the meaning of the name and history of the Three Flags when we asked her. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentsouthcitygrandmaDined on 8/20/2014This was our second visit and we were just as pleased this time as the first time. Great place with great food.Special Features:
- Jane's Retirement.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Good food, good service. Pleasant experience. Thanks for accomodating usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So delicious!mswaykusDined on 8/19/2014A friend recommended Three Flags Tavern to me so I went in with high expectations. I was blown away by the deliciousness of the menu items. Additionally, the onsite mixologist has come up with some tasty cocktails to enjoy with dinner. Highly recommend the Monte Cristo sandwich and the flourless chocolate dessert. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- food and service very goodwinofoodieDined on 8/19/2014I took a friend there for lunch to celebrate her birthday and arrived earlier than most other lunch diners. It was quiet and conversation was easy. The food and service were very good. As our visit proceeded the restaurant became more crowded and conversation a bit more difficult. I would imagine that at dinner time it would be impossible to converse, especially if the nearby bar also filled with patrons.Special Features:
- Great mealmilfodoDined on 8/15/2014The buzz about this restaurant is well deserved. A nice variety of foods. All were a bit out of the ordinary and well prepared.Special Features:
- Yummy food offeringsCosmoMamaDined on 8/13/2014Although we found it a bit noisy sitting out on the patio by the street, the food was great! Unusual offerings (so order lots) wonderful for small plate sharing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- And then there's the chickenBraseGigantiVIPDined on 8/9/2014I've been to 3FT numerous times and reviewed numerous dishes, but for some reason I held out on getting the fabled fried chicken. Well! Run don't walk. Get one of their great starters and then allow for the (advertised) 30-minute wait. The textra ime is because your four juicy pieces are hand battered and pan-fried in cast iron. The fluffy biscuit and rich gravy are just, well, "gravy" on top of this amazing dish.Special Features:
- Not Going BackJimmyMackDined on 8/6/2014As you can see by our ratings, everything was very good with one huge exception that, unless abated, will prevent us from returning. The decor in the dining room is ALL hardscape- glass, metal, stone. The noise was absolutely incredible and prevented conversation among the four of us. We almost had to shout to be heard above our neighbors, who were almost shouting to be heard above their neighbors, and so on. Luckily, my wife has hearing aids which she removed and so dined in blissful silence (altho she missed all conversation). We other three merely endured and skedaddled before dessert.Special Features:
- luvgoodfoodluvsgoodfoodDined on 8/6/2014My first time was a very pleasant experience. I don't normally like lamb but I ordered the lamb burger and it was delicious. The potato bun on the burger was also a winner. The potatoes (Papas Bravas) were very well seasoned with a hint of spicy. I would go back to try something else on the menu in a heartbeat. The ceilings are high and it did get noisy for good table conversation. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/5/2014While first time guests, we were treated like long time friends. The food was excellent too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome to the neighborhood!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014I celebrated my birthday with friends for my first visit to Three Flags. Everything was excellent. I will definitely return to try many of the dishes on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay for the priceDisappointingVIPDined on 7/31/2014The food was disappointing given all the hype that the place has and it's on the expensive side. I think the burgers are better at O'Connell's or Blueberry Hill and they're price much more reasonably. Also, for the price you'd think they'd come with fries but they don't instead they serve three small pickles. The Cheese sticks used a good cheese but its flavor was lost in the preparation and the marinara sauce. The beefsteak salad was good as all the tomatoes were heirlooms so it's hard to disturb that dish. It wasn't bad but it just wasn't notable.
- Creative delicious menuMxquDined on 7/31/2014Until the owners can mute the noise level in the dining room or if you are a large group and it is not bothersome, I would ask for a table on the patio. I understand these old buildings have such high ceilings. It looks like they will be expanding the patio too which is a good thing. We were a table of 4 and had to yell at each other for conversation, we requested an outdoor table and eventually were moved. The dining room and bar are very handsome, English and cozy. The servers were great and knew the menu and happy to answer questions. The food was outstanding! Our table had fried chicken, lobster roll, burger and shrimp and grits, also a side of fries and cauliflower and both desserts. All very good. They are off to a great start.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nothanxDined on 7/30/2014This place certainly lived up to the hype it got from the Post-Dispatch "Go" list. Great food and service. However, the noise level is a turn-off.Special Features:
- Brisket BurgerDisappointingVIPDined on 7/24/2014It was cooked well and the bun was very good and I'm not really very interested in bread but I didn't find the brisket burger to be better or as good as some other normally priced burgers in St. Louis. It was expensive and did not come with the traditional fries. You could buy those and pay extra as a side.