Three Flags Tavern
4940 Southwest Ave
Saint Louis, MO 63110Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Three Flags Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.threeflagstavern.com/
- Phone: (314) 669-9222
- Hours of Operation:
Open Monday through Sunday
Monday: Dinner 5pm-9pm
Tuesday: Lunch 11am-2pm, Limited Menu 2pm-5pm, Dinner 5pm-10pm
Wednesday: Lunch 11am-2pm, Limited Menu 2pm-5pm, Dinner 5pm-10pm
Thursday: Lunch 11am-2pm, Limited Menu 2pm-5pm, Dinner 5pm-10pm
Friday: Lunch 11am-2pm, Limited Menu 2pm-5pm, Dinner 5pm-11pm
Saturday: Brunch 10am-2pm, Limited Menu 2pm-5pm, Dinner 5pm-11pm
Sunday Brunch: 10am-2pm
Bar open to close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John O'Brien
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Three Flags Tavern
Bringing the finer points of hospitality together with the unique history and culture of St. Louis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Three Flags Tavern - Best Restaurants in Southwest Garden ›
Three Flags Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (96)neighborhood gem (88)great for outdoor dining (46)hot spot (33)special occasion (29)great for lunch (28)romantic (22)notable wine list (18)vibrant bar scene (18)good for groups (12)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Appetizer of lobster Beniets were amazing! We made a reservation and did not have to wait at all. The prices were reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MERothDined on 11/21/2014Our food was very good, attractive presentation, cauliflower gratin was cold but was replaced quickly, waitress very attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three Flags TaverncolorqueenDined on 11/15/2014Started with the lobster beignets. Wow! 6 beignets, beautiful & deliciousness in every bite. I has the scallops, shrimp, & tasso ham with grits!! Spectacular. Husband had the fried chicken. He thought it was very good, but not as good as another restaurant we were at recently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still SuperbBraseGigantiVIPDined on 11/13/2014Three Flags isn't just riding on its great initial reviews. The food is consistently fantastic and the service is consistently attentive. Be warned that a number of items will be unavailable due to the fact that this is not a factory kitchen. The lobster roll (amazing) was unavailable twice in a row, once due to running out of fresh animal, once due to running out of homemade rolls. Don't be dissuaded. Everything is super. I opted (for the second time) for the iron-skillet-fried chicken, which is amazing in all respects. The creamy biscuit and gravy are just, well, gravy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Foodwine1on1Dined on 11/11/2014I went to Three Flags for my birthday with my co-workers. Dining experience was wonderful, friendly staff, great wine list - server was very knowledgeable, chef visited the table - oh and the chocolate flour less cake was a treat. Definitely will go back for dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- freddyDined on 11/8/2014we visited Three Flags for the second time and found the food excellent both times. because we went on a Saturday night this time, versus mid-week, it was quite crowded and noisier than before. but still not too bad. the service was also very attentive and friendly. have and would recommend it to others who don't mind paying more than a price of a taco. think their best food are their entries, from the lobster roll (wonderful) to the beef bisket burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed Three FlagsNMednikDined on 10/29/2014Lobster beignets were very good. Enjoyed the Shrimp, Scallops and Grits. Burger was awesome. Apple Tart was ok and the Flourless Chocolate Cake was good just very rich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Connecticut lobsta roll!mariekDined on 10/29/2014Wonderful version of the Connecticut lobster roll (no mayo - lots of butter), and amazing brisket burger. Great decor and bar - second time there and just as good as the first. Good wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had a great dinner outdoorwjoamDined on 10/27/2014it was the last night for warm weather and it was great as always. love that they are open on Monday night with a limited bar menu.Special Features:
- JiduJiduDined on 10/25/2014First seated on mWestern wall along map...The air conditioning vents were all pointing directly at tables. We asked to be moved, and were graciously accommodated. Fabulous waitressSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brisket burger.RandyDined on 10/23/2014The brisket burger is great. Juicy even at a perfect medium well. Sides are sized for sharing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MERothDined on 10/23/2014I thought the food was good, lobster roll and side salad, burger and brussel sprouts in romesco sauce. Limited menu selection, and everything a la carte, the seeming trend these days. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Charming but Could be BetterMissDVIPDined on 10/22/2014Walking up to 3 Flags you can smell the out door wood stove. Why wasn't anyone sitting out doors then? 3 Flags needs to invest in some heaters to draw people into the garden. Inside there is a feeling of coziness, but when we sat down for a romantic dinner, we found that it was hard to carry on the personal conversation we wanted to have for this special moment. 3 Flags is yet another restaurant that thinks a tin roof is more important than a quiet atmosphere. IF this was a lively bar scene, then noise would be fun. But most of the people in the restaurant were over 50 and many, in fact, looked well over 70 so investing in acoustics would be worth it! Scallop and shrimp grits/ good. Burger /good.Flourless choc cake/ too sweet too cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!!KraelDined on 10/19/2014Great food and service. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- A little boring..aisrael001Dined on 10/17/2014Food is good but safe which means not memorable. We ordered escargot - tender and mildly dressed. Fried chicken which was dusted with cornmeal, needed more salt or perhaps garlic salt. This dish does not come with a side. Salmon pot pie was delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but expensiveFoodieDined on 10/15/2014Our table had a variety of items but for the 3 out of the 4 items were overpriced. I would recommend this restaurant for drinks but not for dinner. We were seated 20 minutes after our reservation time. The tables weren't turning over as quickly as they expected and while they acknowledged it they didn't do anything about it. Some places will give you a free app or something for the wait. We were seated late and it took a while for the food to arrive so by the time we got our food we were one of the last tables left and felt like they were rushing us out at that point.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three Flags notesEatoutoftenDined on 10/11/2014Salad was great with champagne vinaigrette, shrimp, scallops and grits were excellent with very tasty beer sauce. Steak Diane meat was excellent but sauce was a little flat. Overall the meal was very good. Will definitely return. French Pinot noir was less than satisfactory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickydinerVIPDined on 10/11/2014I thought this restaurant was OK. Food was fine, but quite frankly, I'm tired of the use of pork in everything. It seems like a chef can't come up with good tasting food unless he puts pork in it - even seafood dishes.Special Features:
- LunchPamelaDined on 10/9/2014This is the second time I have eaten here and both times have been excellent-delicious food and great service.Special Features:
- Good and Interesting FoodNoFussyFood49Dined on 10/7/2014It took a slightly special occasion for us to hit Three Flags because, while we would love to eat this way every night, we consider it a treat to spend so much on dinner. Food was exceptional and beyond expectations (and they were high!) Wine list short but reasonable with some really good choices. We ordered Steak Diane and the stuffed pork loin special. Pork was very good, Steak buttery! While they have been reviewed somewhat poorly, I recommend the lobster beignets--get some lemon as splash it over them. It cuts the richness and tastes great! Service lacked some polish but extremely friendly and informative. Oysters 5 ways were showcased and enjoyed by our table. Reserve your table early in the week unless you want to eat at 5pm.Special Features:
- A Pleasant BistroBARSTLVIPDined on 10/7/2014During my second visit to The Three Flag Tavern, I again throught the food first-rate, but their service also seemed more efficient. (On both visits, the staff was very pleasant.) The menu, at lunch at least, is limited, but there is something for every taste, and it is excellent. Considering that the place is on the fringes of the Hill, it is amazing how light the food is. Those who are more than sated with the piles of carbs in seas of red sauce available by the platterful nearby will appreciate this alternative. The historic St. Louis décor, is charming and a bit whimsical. The portraits of the founders are treated more like pictures of eccentric uncles and aunts than as illustrations in a history textbook. Great food without pomposity!Special Features:
- Great valuebbbbDined on 10/4/2014This restaurant takes Tavern to a whole new level! This restaurant is fantastic and the service is top notch but the food keeps us coming back!Special Features:
- foodinSTLDined on 10/3/2014In my opinion this restaurant is overrated. There was no taste and we could not figure out exactly what the chef was trying to achieve. Between 4 appetizers and 5 main courses we did not find one dish that was worth writing home about. Just overall very poor.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/1/2014Just a great little place...Third time there always good! Have recommended it to all our friends!Special Features:
- yearning for lobsteroll!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014We went on Saturday at Brunch craving a lobster roll, not knowing it was not part of the brunch menu. Luckily the chef accomadated our craving. it was delicious! We had that and a fabulous Mimosa and were more than satisfied. We loved the outdoor dining space, however had to admit the street traffic is just a little noisy even on a Saturday. All of the other food looked and smelled wonderful! i look forward to my next meal!Special Features:
- Would never go back!!!ForestViewDined on 9/20/2014I took my 83 yr. old Mom here for her birthday with her friend. We ordered drinks, apps, sides, entrees, dessert and coffee. As we were sitting talking after finishing our coffee, the owner came over and asked if we could move tables because there was a party that had specifically requested our table. As we looked around, there were several empty tables. We told the owner we thought it was rude to ask us to leave (which was what it felt like she was telling us) when there were other empty tables. She said they allot 2 hours per table and she had already let us stay an extra 1/2 hour!! My Mom's friend ordered the fried chicken which takes 1/2 hour so it was not as though we were lingering for hours. Very rude-horrible customer service!
- NannaDiDined on 9/20/2014I have a garlic allergy so I was disappointed that both fish specials had garlic. (I don't eat meat). But the trout, on the regular menu was great. Beet salad was very good, but beets a little too "raw"for my tastes. Always enjoy the meal there.Special Features:
- Fun and TastyBobSVIPDined on 9/19/2014Three Flags Tavern does everything they try to do, and they do it well: They're friendly and knowledgeable, and they've definitely taken pub food to a new level. The reviews in the paper were so enthusiastic that I expected the food to be among the best I ever tasted. It wasn't, but, at moderate prices in a pleasant tavern atmosphere, why should it be? Everything we ate was delicious with the exception of the berry pie for dessert - that was just fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie12Dined on 9/13/2014Extremely loud could not even hear server who was inept and inexperienced; over priced for the quantity - $20 for a single pork chop and a spoon of beans; numerous specials that should have been given as a separate menu as a new restaurant they should be keeping it simple and getting it right then add menu items as kitchen and service gets established. The chairs are not the right height for the tables Members of my party will likely not return.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014First time dining at TFT. Extremely comfortable seating. Great beer and wine selection. Both my wife and I enjoyed what we ordered. Food was presented wonderfully and the hot food came out nice and hot. I left with a big smile on my face and I look forward to coming back.Special Features:
- Excellent second visitSTLFoodieDined on 9/12/2014We enjoyed Three Flags for our second meal and challenged ourselves to order new things on the menu -- as our first instinct was to order the same items from our first visit. Once again the service staff was excellent -- our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu, the specials and wine and beer selections. She was attentive but not overbearing; her timing was was excellent. The young man who refreshed our water and cleared the table was most professional as well. All levels of staff suggest a great training and orientation program at the restaurant. All our food was good and well prepared and seasoned. If there was a weak link it was our desserts. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!VSTLVIPDined on 9/11/2014Our server was excellent, she was knowledgeable and if she did not know she found out. We had the paté and a special of calamari as starters and both were delicious. This was followed by the trout and a side of Brussels sprouts and again everything was very good. Sharing the flourless chocolate cake was an excellent finish. I have no doubt that I will return and try out the other enticing options on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner with Old FriendsJimandnancyDined on 9/10/2014Wonderful dinner. Great service. We arrived before the noise level made talking hard as it did later in evening. Appetizers of escargot, chicken liver mouse and monte christo were excellent Main courses of the veal chop special and trout were large servings and tasty esp with the sauces. Sides of cauliflower gratin and roasted brussel sprouts were some of the best have had. Ended with the flour less chocolate cake which was very nice. Service was outstanding but not overly attentive. We would gladly return for dinner again or to try weekend brunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014I had a great birthday dinner. Dining room was small and a bit too loud, but the food and service were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So lucky!bbbbDined on 9/4/2014St. Louis is so lucky to have this wonderful restaurant to add to the dining scene. They are so welcoming! The staff is amazing and the food exceptional. It's our 2nd time (only b/c everybody else has found out about it) and we can't wait to come back. Thanks again for another great meal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to try dinnerSTLFoodManDined on 9/4/2014We enjoyed 3 Flags for lunch on Thursday and could not have been more pleased with our experience. The menu is limited, however there are more than enough selections for a great lunch. The lobster roll sandwich was one of the best I've had, something about buttery lobster meat on a nice poppy roll is just heaven. The jambalaya was delicious and the Cuban Sandwich was a very nice portion size, providing my wife a nice take home snack. Service was top notch and I always enjoy owners who are visable in the restaurant and it gives the place a home like feel. We can't wait to get back for dinner.Special Features:
- Go thereAlanDined on 9/2/2014The skillet fried chicken was absolutely worth the twenty minute wait. A first course salad, often an afterthought, is worth the trip there just on its own. The buttermilk pie we shared for dessert was the perfect ending to a truly great meal. We didn't sit outside, but their patio area looked quite charming. In addition, our server was very attentive without being cloying. Overall, I recommend Three Flags Tavern highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet TavernWhatever11Dined on 9/2/2014Interesting and delicious food combinations. This place will be around a long time.Special Features:
- A Nice New PlaceBARSTLVIPDined on 8/29/2014I really liked this place. The staff were friendly and the food was quite good. My companion, who can eat the seafood that I must avoid, was especially pleased by the lobster roll. I'll go back. But, probably due to some glitch, the time it took to get us our food was far too long. The place didn't seem to be understaffed or staffed with hostile or unmotivated people—they all seemed just great, when we had their attention—so I think this was just a fluke.Special Features:
- The hype is true!STLFoodieVIPDined on 8/28/2014Three Flags lives up to it's hype! I took my Food Lovers Meetup group and we were wonderfully accommodated. Love the decor and the nice patio too. Service was excellent - our server kept us full of drink and food coming in a timely manner. Our table had mussells, lobster beignets, and octopus as appetizers - all delicious! Main courses: lobster roll (delicious but very small amount of meat), lamb burger, regular burger, fried chicken, and trout. Everyone was happy with their dinner. For dessert, the pot de creme of chocolate was divine! and the creme brulee was as it should be. Great draft beer selection and cocktails were unique. Highly recommend this wonderful gem, and plan to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.