Three Dots and a Dash
435 N Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
PolynesianPrice: $30 and under
Three Dots and a Dash
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://threedotschicago.com/
- Phone: 3126104220x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 2:00 am
Friday: 4:00 pm - 2:00 am
Saturday: 5:00 pm - 3:00 am
Sunday: 5:00 pm - 2:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Polynesian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access
A word from Three Dots and a Dash
A modern take on a classic tiki bar serving inspired cocktails.Continued
Must be 21 years of age or older to enter.
Must be 21 years of age or older to enter.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Three Dots and a Dash - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Three Dots and a Dash reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (97)hot spot (87)special occasion (66)good for groups (61)late-night find (55)romantic (32)neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (28)scenic view (5)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Tiki tikiCannesDined on 9/14/2014Tiki bar, Three Dots and a Dash was awesome! The cocktails were well made with wonderful ingredients too! Simply put, it's a super cool spot in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!!MischaDined on 9/7/2014So much fun! Feels like you've been transported to Gilligan's Island!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CaitlinOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014My husband and I have been to Three Dots in the past, but took his brother who was visiting from Hawaii. He's lived there for 8 years and said that Three Dots is superior to any actual Hawaiian bars on Oahu. Thank you for the fun time! We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Polynesian pleasure!SouthernBelleDined on 9/1/2014The service was good, the drinks are always fantastic and the food was great. Its like stepping into an oasis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place since HonoluluLovefoodDined on 8/28/2014After being in Hawaii several times, this is the best place to go for tropical drinks and a tropical atmosphere. The wait staff is excellent and the management accommodated us beyond our expectations. Great place! I can't wait go back.Special Features:
- Fun evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/20/2014We had a very nice evening with the wild-crazy drinks and very good small food bites. Fun idea with a vibrant atmosphere. There was a problem when we left with the host seating people at our table before we had a chance to even leave the booth. Awkward and rude. Obviously miscommunication - they must have thought we just sat down from the bar without a reservation. That did not end the evening on a positive note, but the manager was very kind the next day with an apology and reward to return.Special Features:
- Early drinksCitidwell1Dined on 8/13/2014We made reservations through open table and lit worked out great. We went for early drinks on a Wednesday at 5 pm. But I was glad we had a reservation. The drinks we amazing as well as the atmosphere . We were only there for an hour but I would loved to spend the whole evening there. Only downfall is that there are absolutely no windows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique experienceparsimoniousDined on 8/10/2014This place is a real gem. The cocktails are a bit pricier than your standard fare, but they're almost incapable of comparison because of their high-end complexity, flavor, and presentation. The ambiance, music, and drinks all connect with the Polynesian theme to make this an experience you won't soon forget.Special Features:
- Tiki madnessJoJoDined on 8/10/2014What a fun place. Not easy to locate but the minute you walk into the dark hallway and go down the dark stairs, you are transported to another time and place. We had reservations but arrived early and found 2 seats at the bar. We gave up the reservation so another couple could have it and sat at the bar for 2 hours, talking to the owner, Paul and another customer. We ate there as well. Had a blast. Would go back for sure. Thankfully, we were walking back to our hotel.Special Features:
- It's Tiki Time!MasterSkiDined on 8/10/2014Chicago's premier tiki bar has umpteen cocktails and rums, along with some modern cocktails based on other spirits; the No Bye, No Aloha was an excellent example of the latter. Feel like you're back in college by sharing a giant punch with your friends, but avoid the awful headaches thanks to quality mixology and ingredients. I enjoyed the pineapple guacamole, but there wasn't much food for veggies so perhaps get dinner beforehand.Special Features:
- InterestingRodrigoDined on 8/4/2014Different place, with an interesting decoration. The drink and food menus were incredibally limited and we ended up staying very little since we wanted something to eat.Special Features:
- One of the best bars in ChicagojdubDined on 7/29/2014Go when it's not too packed to be able to appreciate decor. Wonderful service and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Descend to a different worldMidwestTravelerDined on 7/21/2014The entrance off the alley. Down the stairs. Next thing you know, you are in a Polynesian night club. Dark. Cool lighting. Grass thatch bar. Fun drinks. Great ambience. Not a huge food menu, but great for drinks and catching up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st timeSwankyDined on 7/20/2014Awesome spot for drinks.didn't order went food.ambiance and concept is awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the Drinks!ChicagoInMy30sVIPDined on 7/20/2014I've gone twice and I will go again. The cocktails are the draw; they are excellent and entertaining. The food is good, with some items that are great. We loved the Thai Fried Chicken, the Hanali Spring rolls, while the Curry Chicken Skewers were pretty standard. We went early, but it was LOUD even at 6:30pm. That's probably thanks to the black flat (laminate? plastic?) floors and limited (sound absorbing) decor. That, plus the plastic globe float lamps, rather than glass or paper, and velvet rope outside give you the sense that this place turns into a club at night. But early evening was fine for adults who are not club going. The wait staff is mostly very attentive and sweet.Special Features:
- Loved it!LaurenDined on 7/10/2014Great drinks, great service, great atmosphere. I had a great time and was glad I had reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Tiki Experience GreatHeatherDined on 7/7/2014Our friends recommended we check out Three Dots and a Dash for an after dinner drink while we were in Chicago and we were so glad we found it! We missed it the first night because we were lost around Bub City but after some online research realized you have to enter through the back alley! We just had drinks since we were out late after dinner, but the place was full with a great energy, and we loved our 'three dots and a dash' and 'siboney.' It's easy to see how tiki bars can easily go overboard on decor, etc., but this spot manages to keep it very classy. There were all kinds of guests-- couples, girls night out, a huge group that ordered the treasure chest! We highly recommend it for a late night or after dinner spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place!TrooperTruDined on 7/6/2014We love Tiki--We love different--This place has both. The drinks are strong so you get your money's worth. After having two drinks my wife was still tipsy hours later. The waitress was very informative and helpful with explaining the drinks. We went on a Sunday night so it wasn't too crowded. We can't wait to go back and try all the other drinks. We also love the wall of skulls!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its FinejennDined on 7/6/2014...&- is good and is worth a visit. Personally, I did not appreciate the Tiki Bar theme in a basement, so I'm not a big fan of the ambiance. I tend to associate Tiki with sunshine and beach and hot weather and I felt cold, dark and a little depressed while drinking my beachy cocktail. I know that sounds dorky but it's true! The food was very decent, and the drink was well prepared. The service was attentive and knowledgeable. She was probably the best part of the experience. I probably would just prefer to go to the Whistler for my next cocktail but would consider returning if I was down in River North. But I wouldn't wait in line for it.Special Features:
- Tiki Drink HavenAERswms77Dined on 7/5/2014We had a great time at Three Dots and a Dash- we tried 3 different drinks and all were so amazing. Great service- they were very prompt on refilling that water glass too, and believe me you'll need it because those drinks are mixed so well they're dangerous :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Start to a holiday weekendDinnertimeDined on 7/3/2014We decided to come here with another couple to start off Fourth of July weekend and it was perfect! Food and drinks were amazing and the atmosophoe was great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014It was our second time at Three Dots and a Dash and brought another couple who had never been there. Our waitress was amazing and we had a great time. The food was wonderful, too. Especially the rangoons and pork buns. Thanks again for a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun tiki bar in Chicago!ChallengerHemiDined on 7/2/2014Three Dots and a Dash is a really fun tiki bar in downtown Chicago. The exotic rum drinks are a wonderful mix of classic cocktails from the initial era of tiki bars in the 40's and 50's and many new creations of tiki cocktails! This is a great place to go on a date or with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad. . . Not greatDrJimDined on 7/1/2014Went with a few friends after work, they had been wanting to go for a while. It took me a minute to find the entrance. . . It's in the alley, but when I got there it was fine. Had fun with my co-workers, which is probably why I gave 4 stars overall. Drink prices were pretty high, even for the area, but they were good overall. Might go back, but only with a group I think.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!TikiDined on 6/27/2014Had such a great time, cant wait to go back! Waitress was wonderful & helpful. Food & drinks were amazing! If you love a tiki bar this is the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DrinksFoodieteacherDined on 6/26/2014These people clearly love their drinks, however they also do so in a fun and non-pretentious way. They were super strong however really didn't taste like it... kinda dangerous. Super exciting to try some new ingredients! Fun throwback place to go with friends.Special Features:
- Very accomodating1greatStaffDined on 6/25/2014The place is fun, service is excellent, and the staff is very accommodating. I highly recommend this place for a fun night. Book ahead on their site.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super unique experienceRPMomDined on 6/19/2014Beautiful, unusual, unique setting. Nice waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anabeeDined on 6/16/2014The staff Treated my group like royalty this time around! We really loved the experience-- even the doorman was friendly this time around!Special Features:
- So coolOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014This place was so fun for the heart of the city! It was like a little secret oasis!Special Features:
- Pricy but good !acponce88Dined on 6/13/2014Really enjoyed the atmosphere here and the drinks were pretty tasty. Made reservations months in advance so that I could sit there on a Friday at 8:30p , glad I did before there was a line out the door of people trying to get a seat. We went with another couple and sat in the lounge area of the bar which was nice because the noise wasn't too loud there. Between the four of us we pretty much tried all the drinks , be prepared to spend a bit of money but its a great once in a while kind of place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Sloop93VIPDined on 6/13/2014I booked this table two months in advance - difficult to get a weekend reservation. There were four of us, we all tried different drinks and probably half the menu - everything was superb! The pork belly buns were my favorite. Our server was attentive and service time was fast given that it was a crowded Friday night.Special Features:
- Loved it!CuriousDinerDined on 6/13/2014Service was wonderful! Great ambience/atmosphere .. Wouldn't go all the time, but would take out of town guests... Which is once a month ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful and overpricedEJN03VIPDined on 6/10/2014The well-appointed rooms and lighting make you feel you've stepped into an underground tropical cantina - but the magic dims when you realize how much you've paid for the literal small plates. You'll go home and eat leftovers afterwards. If you love tropical drinks, this is the place to splurge on one, but eat elsewhere.
- Nice Place; Could use tiny tweaksSmmmoke1Dined on 6/9/2014I've been to this place twice now and it's really sharp. I have only a few things that would make it perfect IMO. 1. Drinks way too iced down. Hey I'm sure customers would be willing to pay a dollar or two extra per drink if they lose the ice altogether. Too much ice feels rather tacky for a moderately high-end type of place such as this. 2. Souvenir mugs too expensive. $20??? What is this a resort gift shop?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very unique, fun, and delicious!Foodie42Dined on 6/8/2014Extremely pleased I found this place and made a reservation before my trip to Chicago. It was a great experience overall. Drinks are top notch, food was tasty (spring rolls especially). Service could have been a little better. Our waitress was more attentive to other tables, and didnt take the time to explain the menu so we felt a little left out. But other than that it was fantastic and I will definitely be back again when I visit Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lisa0309Dined on 6/6/2014The cocktails are amazing as well as the ambiente of the bar! Our waitress was extermely nice and friendly. I am definitely coming back!Special Features:
- Flaming Skulls!moustacheDined on 6/3/2014One of the greatest atmospheres in Chicago, Three Dots is a basement bar transformed into a beachside experience. Paul McGee has stocked the menu with tiki classics and his own originals. The drinks aren't overly sugary and fruity like you might expect from a tiki bar. The punch bowls are served on fire with long straws for group sharing. The tuna crisps (wonton crisps with tuna tartare and guacamole) are fantastic. We ended up just eating the crisps by themselves after plowing through the tartare. I recommend making reservations to get a booth that fits 4-6 people and taking public transportation or a taxi, because it's hard to leave this place sober.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceKhfgDined on 5/31/2014Ive been here 3 other times with great experiences; however this past occasion our service was terrible. We sat for nearly 30 minutes without our waitress in sight for our second round of drinks. Also, it seemed like the glasses were noticeably smaller than they previously were. For $13 drinks, I would like it to last more than a few sips. The food is also overpriced. We each ordered a plate to share and were all still very hungry when we left. The apps are good but underwhelming considering size and price. Everything tasted great but we all left very unsatisfued with overall experience. I will be canceling my next reservation I had already previously booked. Perfect stop for pre-dinner drinks but nothing moreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tiki SpotTikiCarlDined on 5/31/2014We have not yet been disappointed with the atmosphere, food and drink quality, and level of service. My wife and I took another couple who had not been here yet this last visit. They thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience. We will definitely be coming back for more fun and tasty cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.