Three Dots and a Dash
435 N Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
PolynesianPrice: $30 and under
Three Dots and a Dash
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://threedotschicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 610-4220
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 2:00 am
Friday: 4:00 pm - 2:00 am
Saturday: 5:00 pm - 3:00 am
Sunday: 5:00 pm - 2:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Polynesian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access
A word from Three Dots and a Dash
A modern take on a classic tiki bar serving inspired cocktails.Continued
Must be 21 years of age or older to enter.
Must be 21 years of age or older to enter.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Three Dots and a Dash - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Three Dots and a Dash reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (81)vibrant bar scene (75)good for groups (57)special occasion (50)late-night find (40)romantic (29)neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (27)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Love this bar!DianaMDined on 11/23/2014Absolutely love this place! The drinks are wonderful, and the atmosphere is fun and unique. I can't recommend this place enough! Whether you live in Chicago or you're visiting, you have to make trip here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude serviceNadia0509kDined on 11/21/2014First, you have to be interrogated by two very rude bouncers. Since this was our first time here, we were unaware that you had to be 21 to enter which was not a problem because we were between 30-44. That was the first turn-off because they were very unfriendly. The one who had the list for reservations couldn't read and had difficulty finding my name. Then he said "Show him your ID ". They didn't open the door for us and simply said " Go in". It was just the way they said everything and should not be the way to treat customers. This may be due to the young crowd, but this doesn't matter. Since we were older, we should have been treated more respectfully. Upon entering, the host was very friendly and told us we would have to wait a few minutes. Be sure to make a table reservation or you will have to stand outside in a long line to get in. Ambiance is perfect. It really is beautiful inside. Our waitress came over quickly to tell us she would be right back. She was also rude...no personality and wanted our order immediately. When we asked her questions about the drinks, (what does it taste like?), she repeated the ingredients which was no help to us. We ordered our drinks and an appetizer (guacamole) which took a while to get. We were there for two hours and I think she was getting irritated that we didn't leave right away. She would pour our water and slam the bottle on the table. We asked several people for our check and had to wait 20 minutes to get it. It was ridiculous. Overall bad experience with staff, but nice atmosphere. Drinks were not that good. Order a drink you know is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent.NA11VIPDined on 11/9/2014Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must Go!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Three Dots and a Dash have the most unique and amazing drinks. Not a big menu but the food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tiki bar but crowdedLucasDined on 11/4/2014the ambience and drinks at three dots and a dash are terrific. The bat service is a little slow but not bad. We had reservations for 9pm on a Tuesday but we still had to wait 15 minutes for a table. We waited at the bar until a table opened but it was so busy we never got the opportunity to order a drink. What's the point of taking reservations if you can't honor them? If you are considering reserving a table here don't expect it to mean that it will be waiting for you when you arrive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/3/2014Offers a wide range of Caribbean drinks, although most tend to be on the sweet side. All drinks come in very creative and interesting glasses, and while they can be purchased as a memento this is where LEYE takes advantage of the tourists by charging $20 for each mug. But hey, it will probably make for a great conversation piece. Don't expect to get your drinks quickly though; this isn't the fault of the wait staff as much as I think these type of drinks just take longer to mix. Also, expect to get a lot of ice in your drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JhkedzDined on 11/2/2014Great hidden spot. Pricey drinks, but creative concoctions.Special Features:
- A hidden jem.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014If you love all that is tiki: music, drinks, food, and ambience, then you have to check this place out. An unforgettable, great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tiki bar since Trader Vic'sBeinspired10Dined on 10/20/2014This is a true gem if you are into the Tiki drink scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the foodhspaepenVIPDined on 10/17/20143 Dots is very well known for its tiki cocktail menu, but don't forget about the food! Everything is served as small plates, and we got at least 1 of everything on the menu. It was delicious but the prices are a little steep for some of portion sizes - so the budget conscious should beware.Special Features:
- Great place to get drinks!HolliWaltsDined on 10/10/2014Get the painkiller and share with friends! The drinks here are super fun and the small plate concept snacks are delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is so dope...KintDined on 10/7/2014I've been hearing about this place ever since I moved here and finally stopped by to check it out. Pure dopeness. My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed this bar and will definitely be going back soon. Drinks were awesome (I had the Jet Pilot and my girlfriend had the Golden Glove). Food was awesome as well.Special Features:
- OKFoodequalsGoodDined on 10/6/2014Found 3Dots on Yelp...good reviews and the price is not too expensive. Everything was great except for the fact that when we got there punctually at our Monday 6:30 reservation, no one came by until I waved to a waitress walking by who had just taken an order from another table. That was at 7:10. Luckily for her, I wasn't that upset because the gals and I were too busy catching up for most of that time. I had the Painkiller drink and tuna & chips appetizer. Delicious. The chips were to salty for my liking but the tuna balanced it out. Oh and the hostess, a short gal, seemed to have no interest in being. She had an "I hate my job" attitude. I recommend this place for groups and for the drinks- it'll distract you from the mediocre service.Special Features:
- Below ground, below the radar?gingerprincessDined on 10/5/2014My husband and I enjoyed drinks and an appetizer at Three Dots and a Dash on Sunday, October 5th. We had researched unique places to enjoy drinks while in Chicago and this did not disappoint. Our drinks were delicious and love the glasses (?) they use. We had the chips and pineapple guacamole, which was the most unique chip and dip combo we've ever had....what are those chips???? The wait staff was a little slow, considering the place was less than half full when we arrived and that was our only negative.Special Features:
- looplisaVIPDined on 10/4/2014This isn't the place you go to spend the evening drinking. But this should be the place you go either before or after dinner. The drinks are amazing and stepping inside this place feels like taking a trip to a tropical local. Go now. You will not regret it.Special Features:
- Great place to go to on a cold day!WeeniedogDined on 10/4/2014We went here on October 3rd--first day it snowed in Chicago. Couldn't think of a better place to escape the cold.Special Features:
- Great Place to Hang/FriendsMsMitch216Dined on 10/1/2014This is a great small place to get a good Tiki Drink. Small but very active place. Two thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WeekenddinersVIPDined on 9/24/2014Went for drinks with out of town co-workers. Fun place, good drinks. Did not try any food, so rating is only a three because I could not enter n/aSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!EvieDined on 9/21/2014This place was great! Love the low light tiki theme. Went with a group of friends.. all of which tried different drinks (all great). The food was amazing as well. We will Definitely be returning!Special Features:
- A True Experience BarindieDined on 9/21/2014The Tiki ambiance is top notch with lots to feast the eyes on with a cozy dark element. The food is good- if a little pricey, but the emphasis here is on the presentation of the drinks. The menu comes complete with illustrations of the drinks which is very helpful if you are a visual drinker. Everyone at our table ordered a differently which was fun. Again, the place is pricey, but you don't get this kind of ambiance for free!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemArtwistDined on 9/17/2014Seems shady going down a random dark alley in the darkness of night. Stepping inside is a totally different experience. There were so many people there. Far more than I saw meandering down the alley or for the foot traffic I'd expect. Lovely place to get away for a fun evening or a date. The drinks are strong and pricey abd you don't get much of them. They are worth it to me, but you can always pre-game. You have to place a reservation if you expect good seating. Plan ahead!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiki tikiCannesDined on 9/14/2014Tiki bar, Three Dots and a Dash was awesome! The cocktails were well made with wonderful ingredients too! Simply put, it's a super cool spot in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly Surprised!eatalotDined on 9/12/2014Looking for a place to meet up with friends on a Friday after work, I turned to Yelp and Three Dots was one of the first places that popped up. The tiki theme sounded different and fun; the menu of drinks and finger food was appealing. Made a reservation on OpenTable which is very convenient as my guess that many bars don't necessarily take reservations and arrived at 4 PM when the bar opened. It was pretty quiet in this place until about 5 or 5:30 PM and then it was full, but not excessively, perhaps because they have a reservation system. We ordered several small plates including the ribs, luau chips and guacamole, coconut shrimp, and chicken skewers. All were excellent as the drinks.Special Features:
- Awesome!!!MischaDined on 9/7/2014So much fun! Feels like you've been transported to Gilligan's Island!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CaitlinOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014My husband and I have been to Three Dots in the past, but took his brother who was visiting from Hawaii. He's lived there for 8 years and said that Three Dots is superior to any actual Hawaiian bars on Oahu. Thank you for the fun time! We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Rum BarChiryanVIPDined on 9/6/2014This is a great place to bring a group of friends on a special occasion to enjoy in some of the different drink options they provide.Special Features:
- Polynesian pleasure!SouthernBelleDined on 9/1/2014The service was good, the drinks are always fantastic and the food was great. Its like stepping into an oasis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place since HonoluluLovefoodDined on 8/28/2014After being in Hawaii several times, this is the best place to go for tropical drinks and a tropical atmosphere. The wait staff is excellent and the management accommodated us beyond our expectations. Great place! I can't wait go back.Special Features:
- Fun evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/20/2014We had a very nice evening with the wild-crazy drinks and very good small food bites. Fun idea with a vibrant atmosphere. There was a problem when we left with the host seating people at our table before we had a chance to even leave the booth. Awkward and rude. Obviously miscommunication - they must have thought we just sat down from the bar without a reservation. That did not end the evening on a positive note, but the manager was very kind the next day with an apology and reward to return.Special Features:
- Early drinksCitidwell1Dined on 8/13/2014We made reservations through open table and lit worked out great. We went for early drinks on a Wednesday at 5 pm. But I was glad we had a reservation. The drinks we amazing as well as the atmosphere . We were only there for an hour but I would loved to spend the whole evening there. Only downfall is that there are absolutely no windows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique experienceparsimoniousDined on 8/10/2014This place is a real gem. The cocktails are a bit pricier than your standard fare, but they're almost incapable of comparison because of their high-end complexity, flavor, and presentation. The ambiance, music, and drinks all connect with the Polynesian theme to make this an experience you won't soon forget.Special Features:
- Tiki madnessJoJoDined on 8/10/2014What a fun place. Not easy to locate but the minute you walk into the dark hallway and go down the dark stairs, you are transported to another time and place. We had reservations but arrived early and found 2 seats at the bar. We gave up the reservation so another couple could have it and sat at the bar for 2 hours, talking to the owner, Paul and another customer. We ate there as well. Had a blast. Would go back for sure. Thankfully, we were walking back to our hotel.Special Features:
- It's Tiki Time!MasterSkiDined on 8/10/2014Chicago's premier tiki bar has umpteen cocktails and rums, along with some modern cocktails based on other spirits; the No Bye, No Aloha was an excellent example of the latter. Feel like you're back in college by sharing a giant punch with your friends, but avoid the awful headaches thanks to quality mixology and ingredients. I enjoyed the pineapple guacamole, but there wasn't much food for veggies so perhaps get dinner beforehand.Special Features:
- InterestingRodrigoDined on 8/4/2014Different place, with an interesting decoration. The drink and food menus were incredibally limited and we ended up staying very little since we wanted something to eat.Special Features:
- The following 86 reviews are from the Three Dots and a Dash reviews archive.
- One of the best bars in ChicagojdubDined on 7/29/2014Go when it's not too packed to be able to appreciate decor. Wonderful service and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Descend to a different worldMidwestTravelerVIPDined on 7/21/2014The entrance off the alley. Down the stairs. Next thing you know, you are in a Polynesian night club. Dark. Cool lighting. Grass thatch bar. Fun drinks. Great ambience. Not a huge food menu, but great for drinks and catching up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st timeSwankyDined on 7/20/2014Awesome spot for drinks.didn't order went food.ambiance and concept is awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the Drinks!ChicagoInMy30sVIPDined on 7/20/2014I've gone twice and I will go again. The cocktails are the draw; they are excellent and entertaining. The food is good, with some items that are great. We loved the Thai Fried Chicken, the Hanali Spring rolls, while the Curry Chicken Skewers were pretty standard. We went early, but it was LOUD even at 6:30pm. That's probably thanks to the black flat (laminate? plastic?) floors and limited (sound absorbing) decor. That, plus the plastic globe float lamps, rather than glass or paper, and velvet rope outside give you the sense that this place turns into a club at night. But early evening was fine for adults who are not club going. The wait staff is mostly very attentive and sweet.Special Features:
- Loved it!LaurenDined on 7/10/2014Great drinks, great service, great atmosphere. I had a great time and was glad I had reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Tiki Experience GreatHeatherDined on 7/7/2014Our friends recommended we check out Three Dots and a Dash for an after dinner drink while we were in Chicago and we were so glad we found it! We missed it the first night because we were lost around Bub City but after some online research realized you have to enter through the back alley! We just had drinks since we were out late after dinner, but the place was full with a great energy, and we loved our 'three dots and a dash' and 'siboney.' It's easy to see how tiki bars can easily go overboard on decor, etc., but this spot manages to keep it very classy. There were all kinds of guests-- couples, girls night out, a huge group that ordered the treasure chest! We highly recommend it for a late night or after dinner spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.