THR & Co.
97 Harbord Street
Toronto, ON M5S 1G6Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
THR & Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thrandco.com/
- Phone: 6477487199
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Curt Martin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from THR & Co.
THR & Co.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
THR & Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)neighborhood gem (28)special occasion (19)great for outdoor dining (15)romantic (13)hot spot (9)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (6)good for groups (5)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Good food but poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014We always go out for food & drink with our group of friends (at least twice a week) and that night we were very disappointed with the service we got. Everything started well but after a few dishes, server was not that much present; we had to fill out our own glasses of champagne more than once. And the server also argued with us on a menu item, which was later served to us anyways...and he once confirmed that to us in a rude way. We ended up paying at least $100 per person (4 of us that night..) so we were expecting at least a service as high as our expectations, food quality and bills.
- Good food, casual atmospherewhitfitDined on 7/20/2014We had a nice dinner at THR & Co. It was our first time there, after going to the Harbord Room many times. It is local to us and it is easy to get a reservation at shorter notice (which is usually impossible at the Harbord Room). The food was very good - the pasta we had was great (squid). The Burrata was very good, and the chocolate dessert was amazing. The rib eye steak was fine, but not great. The vegetable sides we ordered were also very good. The wine list is reasonable, and we had a really excellent Burgundy Pinot. It was on the higher end of the wine list, but the less expensive wines looked well selected. Overall, a really good dining experience, and a good place to go for a less formal, but still high end dinner.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014I took my husband there for his birthday and we let them know that we were just married three weeks before. The staff were so friendly and very excited for us. They brought us champagne and made sure everything was perfect. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible After Work Nosh!!AndyTOVIPDined on 7/10/2014I've been to THR&Co twice in the last month - on this most recent visit, I was blown away by the care taken in the food and the absolute highlight of our experience was our fantastic server who hit a home run on every recommendation she provided. We hit all the courses and left buzzing from a euphoric meal. Must tries: Squid Ink Pasta, Barrata, Cheese Course with whipped honey & Malivoire Spritz! Honestly - give this place a try, it's got the 'magic' of a great restaurant balancing food / service and innovation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014We went early on a Sunday (first there), so the service was exceptional (not that they really had anyone else to tend to). There cocktail/beer list is small, and while not bad, it's nothing amazing. I had a yellow fin sashimi for my appetizer, and it was delicious, however I found that the main flavor was not the fish, but rather the accompaniments. I would have liked for the fish to have shine more. My main was spectacular. I had the chorizo pizza pie, and the flavors worked fabulously (very well priced as well at only 15$ for a sizeable pizza). My father had the sea bream and was equally impressed. Overall, very good restaurant!Special Features:
- Great food/service as always!DSD123Dined on 6/30/2014Wonderful staff, excellent food and drinks. I will most definitely be coming again, and hopefully will be able to sit and enjoy the patio (it was too hot when I went). The ambiance inside is lovely, and did I mention the food was excellent? Delicious!Special Features:
- Sadly, underwhelmederestaurantloverDined on 6/28/2014When Toronto Life rates a restaurant as "Best of", I typically take notice. Sadly, TL has lost lots of credibility. I really, really wanted to like THR&Co. The hostess? Lovely. The waiter? so-so (we had to ask for water refills and re-poured our own wine). The food? So terribly underwhelming. Two of us had the hanger steak (my waiter referred to it as a flank steak - wrong! They are different). Way too much fat for my taste. One has the parpadelle (probably the best meal served) and one had the pasta "special" (disappointingly tasteless). The best part of the meal was the Wine we ordered (which, at $85 a bottle, I would expect nothing less from an Italian Ripasso). The final bill was north of $300 and, in my view, not worth it.Special Features:
- Good food, slow serviceOaklandsDined on 6/25/2014The food was good, but overshadowed by extremely slow, albeit friendly, service - ten minutes to get a drink, thirty minutes between apps and main. Offerings are similar to other restos in the city - Emerson, Ortolan, et al.Special Features:
- Surpassed expectationsNewFanDined on 6/20/2014I had dinner at THR & Co this past Friday and was more than impressed. First, I had to change our reservation from 3 to 5 on the day of the reservation, and they were able to accommodate my group in the most friendly and welcoming way. Then once at the restaurant, the host and the server were warm and friendly. Our server knew every detail of every seasoning in every dish, and his recommendations were bang on. The food was spectacular!! Everyone in my group was delighted with their choices. My cocktail was also delish, and the desserts were both original and terrific. Don't miss a chance to experience THR & Co!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014our family of four went for father's day dinner and had a great time. the food overall was outstanding, my 15 and 11 year old boys enjoyed everything we had. service was also outstanding, friendly and informative without being intrusive. i was also impressed with how everything is house made, especially the charcuterie plate that we started with and the sorbet/ice cream that we finished with. the entrees we had, pizza, pappardelle and the steak were all outstanding as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014This restaurant was recommended to us by a friend who had really enjoyed their dinner...and it was definitely everything they said it would be. Staff were very attentive and very personable, and food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Worth the drive to Harbord StreetGourmetChaplainDined on 6/8/2014Delicious beef heart tartare with egg. Pasta with lamb neck is well-seasoned (read salty) but terrific. Amazing mushrooms in the papardelle. Nice to be able to get half portions of pastas. Pizzas are terrifically thin with fabulous toppings. Super hipster staff are still very nice to old folks like us.Special Features:
- ninvDined on 5/24/2014We've been to this restaurant before and really liked it but for some reason this time the service was not very good and the food was ok. Don't plan to go back any time soon.
- The following 32 reviews are from the THR & Co. reviews archive.
- MeeeDined on 5/23/2014Took my husban for his birthday dinner. He really enjoyed the Beef Heart Tartare. He rated it a 9.5 out of 10. All else was good but given the reviews I was expecting more. I was on the phone whether I wanted wanted a candle in the dessert. I said, provided we ordered dessert, yes, I would love one. Guess what, no candle. Again, the food etc was good but, given the number of restaurants in TO, good is not sufficient to go again.
- How about a Vegan Dish?IvorDined on 5/20/2014My wife and I had an early dinner. reservation. We very much enjoyed the quiet atmosphere. Our meal was delicious and satisfactory in every way.Special Features:
- Great Sunday dinnerfeedmeDined on 5/19/2014This restaurant was a laid back cool type of place great for conversation and food. Each dish was equally good. I had a squid ink spaghetti, salt cod croquettes, and olive oil and thyme cake for dessert. I enjoyed each of these dishes. The waitresses that served us were very attentive and pleasant. I noticed that the restaurant was filled with families. Young adults with their parents rather than little children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceKrissykdubDined on 5/17/2014Absolutely delicious, great service, great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great pricesTTRKVIPDined on 5/16/2014Really enjoyed THR, and will be back. I had the pork main, my wife had the gnocchi. The service was great and the restaurant is very cozy. Solid all round atmosphere.Special Features:
- Second seating rush outDontrushmeoutDined on 5/15/2014At first glance liked the atmosphere. Despite booking on open table I was never told about a second seating issue. Needless to say when I was advised it put a bad taste on the experience. I decided to leave and not finish our dinner experience here.
- MehTOeatingDined on 5/11/2014Brunch was okay- was hoping to love this spot as much as Harbord Room. Unfortunately, the sticky bun was dry and the burger was overcooked. The lobster omelette two people at the table chose looked delicious but was a tad overpriced.
- THR & Co was great!DonSVIPDined on 5/10/2014It was our first time at THR & Co and we would definitely go back. The food was excellent and the wine as well. The service was super!Special Features:
- Kicked out!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2014We arrived for our dinner on saturday night. The service was extremely slow, to the point where our server apologized to us twice! Our food finally came (was slow for both appetizer and main portions). We were ready for dessert when we were told that if we wanted to have dessert, we'd have to move to the bar, because they needed our table for the 9 pm sitting. So basically, because of their own slow service and ineptitude, we had to be moved to the corner of the bar to have dessert. If we didn't want dessert, we were asked to leave so the next party could be seated! I've never been to a restaurant where I've been given such an ultimatum. It was rude and completely inappropriate. Buyer beware.
- Good, not greatJustineVIPDined on 5/7/2014Food was tasty but I expected better. Had two apps as I found there weren't enough variety in main course offerings. Almonds and olives app was delicious. Glad I can cross it off my list but won't head back.Special Features:
- Loved itChelseaDined on 5/6/2014Great night at THR & Co. Must try the Ricotta and Farm Egg pizza, absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!Foodie31VIPDined on 5/3/2014My husband and I came on a Saturday night for our reservations at 7 and were lucky enough to get seated at one of three booths in the back corner of the restaurant. It definitely was one of the best tables of the house as the front section has you almost on top of your neighbours! The restaurant has a great hipster vibe that also appeals to non-hipster foodies. Music and ambience at perfect noise level. Food wise- we had a great meal! We both had the Branzino and shared the squid ink pasta, the brussell sprouts and cauliflower sides. All delicious! Wasn't in love with any of the appetizers so I ordered the roasted beets as an appetizer instead of a side. My husband had the croquettes which were ok- but the mains stole the show!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2014Food was ok but average. Nothing really different but good wine list. in a few words: Slow service and average food...
- meh.MissVVIPDined on 4/27/2014The beef heart tartar was good (but not anything special). The squid ink pasta was doughy and very stingy on the seafood (a few scraps of squid was all we got). The grilled shrimp special was inedible - those prawns had been dead a loooong time (I live in Vancouver and we get the live spot prawns and grill them on the bbq until they are just barely opaque - juicy, sweet, delicious - what we got the other night was old, mushy, soggy shrimps that were not the freshest that were bbq'd - yuck). And honestly, if you're going to charge us for bread, shouldn't it be amazing? The service was fantastic though! We decided to cut our losses and went to Harbord Room for a burger - now that place knows how to cook! So what happened at THR & Co?
- Spontaneous early dinnerSheilagDined on 4/25/2014We headed to THR & Co for an early Friday night dinner. We came with our 4 yr old and they made us really welcome and offered to make a plain cheese pizza or a simple pasta if that was what he wanted. That was great service. Thank you. We had chosen THR in the hopes of having one of the famous THR burgers. Alas, they are only on the brunch menu. So we'd made do with the regular dinner menu. I found the scallop crudo and the braised beef cheeks birth to be truly delicious. The pizzas were thin and crispy. The ricotta and farm egg pizza was unusual but delicious. We enjoyed everything. While we had the place to ourselves when we arrived before 6, before we finished, the room was filling up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Procedure reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/23/2014I received a confirming email from Open Table AND a call from the restaurant confirming my reservation. When I got to the restaurant, no table was reserved for me. THR is a lovely restaurant but PLEASE do not put your least competant staff at the door as host, a trend far to prevalent in Toronto restaurants. I was treated like a liar, spoken of as "the person who claimed to have a reservation but isn't in the book". Not ok. Luckily the rest of the staff was lovely and the food was excellent. On another service note, isn't the "dirty urban lumberjack" look done? One look in the dining room revealed that all the guests appeared significantly more polished that the wait staff. Again, not ok. It's food folks. Think about the optics...Special Features:
- We ate there and...FlaveDined on 4/18/2014Bad from beginning to end. Snobbish service from the host (expected us to be very grateful for putting us in a booth, which we never requested. Condescending.) Server didn't know they were out of fish until 5 minutes after we ordered it. Then, impatient and unapologetic. Wouldn't happen in a good restaurant. Brussel sprouts overcooked. Bad. Cauliflower way overcooked. Too soft. Beef cheek - wrong cut of meat to slow cook maybe? It was mush. I'm a beef lover, and I just couldn't force myself to eat it. Had maybe 3 bites. Gross. Drinks were the only thing that didn't disappoint. Manhattan, Old Fashioned. We got out of there as quickly as possible.
- Great SpotJacquelineVIPDined on 4/16/2014For a Wednesday night, this place was busier than I expected, with groups coming in well after 9 pm. I came on the recommendation of a few websites, and I wasn't disappointed. The black spaghetti and ricotta/farm egg pizza were delicious. I will surely be returning for another lovely dinner in the future.Special Features:
- Beef-in-CheekDoubleDDined on 4/16/2014Second visit as good as first. Cool spot, vibrant early evening. Food excellent: the beef cheek with the side of beets -mouth watering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find...RonFoodieVIPDined on 4/13/2014Had a wonderful brunch. Unique flavours and ingredients, and portioned just right. Our group had bennies and briskets. Briskets were delicious and melt in your mouth. Bennies were equally delicious and flavourful. Staff were super friendly and tendered free smiles. :-) We will definitely be back for brunch and to try their dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunchSTLHDined on 4/13/2014I'm always a bit nervous bringing infants out for brunch, but the restaurant accommodated us so well. They were friendly, prepared and the food was really elevated. The atmosphere is lovely and sophisticated but not pretentious. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotDanforthiteDined on 4/10/2014My second time and just as delicious as the first. Great service, interesting preparation of /takes on some dishes. Very good gluten-free pasta option!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and nice atmosphereCenaVIPDined on 4/10/2014I like the atmosphere of THR & CO. It is just as comfortable as the former resto, Massis. We ordered the HOUSE CURED MEATS, TERRINES & PATES to share. It was really good & interesting. The portion of the house bread was pretty small though. The pasta dishes and the braised beef were also very delicious. There were not too many choices for dessert. But we enjoyed the chocolate ganache we ordered. It's definitely a neighhourhood gem and we will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service. Decent food.ImanVIPDined on 4/8/2014Overall, an extremely disappointing meal. Our cocktails were good, as was the scallop appetizer. Then we ordered a round of drinks which never came. Our main course arrived (no joke) one hour later. We asked about it a few times and were told it was 'coming right up'... it wasn't. A few tables in the restaurant seemed to be having this problem, not just us, and people who arrived later received their mains before the tables who were already there. I don't understand how their kitchen works but it's seriously disorganized. We were just so annoyed (and famished) by the time our food came that we just ate it quickly and left without dessert. Unacceptable. Don't think I'll return unless it's for a drink after I've already eaten.Special Features:
- Natural Light and QuiettarragonDined on 4/8/2014If you enjoy good food in a restaurant that has lots of natural light and a noise level that encourages conversation this place fits the bill. The service is delightful.Special Features:
- Great ambience, amazing food!!!HappydinerDined on 4/6/2014The scallops were AMAZING and I wished we had ordered the beef heart tartare because we saw fellow diners really enjoying it. The meat plate and cod was good but I didn't think anything spectacular when compared to the scallops. It was silly that the meat plate, especially with pate, didn't come with bread and crackers I don't usually enjoy pasta but the black spaghetti was phenomenal. A little spicy and the perfect cook on the pasta. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!! The veal was juicy, delicious and cooked perfectly. The boar special was overcooked and dry. Not a highlight of the evening. I would recommend asking for a booth because the tables for two were really too close together when it got busy, but not unlike most restaurants in Toronto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate, but will try againFrequentDinerVIPDined on 4/5/2014I was a big fan of Harbord Room, was excited to check out THR & co, went on late Saturday night. Space was great for intimate gatherings and had decent ambiance. Perhaps it was an off night, and the servers were tired, but service felt rushed. Food was under seasoned as well. Burrarta appetizer was not creamy, scallop crudo was not inspired, farm pizza was great, beef cheeks were delicious, cauliflower sides were some on the most under seasoneded and dried dishes I have ever tried. Will still go for another try, but hugely dissapointed considering the hype.