Thornton River Grille
3710 Sperryville Pike Rd.
Sperryville, VA 22740Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Thornton River Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thorntonrivergrille.com/
- Phone: 5409878790x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tom Nash
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Thornton River Grille
Serving great American food with a worldly flair, we’re open Tuesday through Saturday from 11am to 3pm for lunch and 5pm to 9pm for dinner. We also serve a lovely brunch on Sunday from 10am to 3pm and dinner from 5pm to 8pm. The atmosphere is at the same time elegant and casual. The richness and warmth of the hand-planed wood-paneled walls provides a comfortable dining experience that can be enjoyed equally in dressy-casual attire or hiking shorts. We are located in the heart of historic Sperryville, Virginia, 75 miles west of Washington D.C., at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains. We look forward to serving you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thornton River Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)great for outdoor dining (15)fit for foodies (13)special occasion (12)great for lunch (8)romantic (7)notable wine list (7)good for groups (4)scenic view (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Consistent, excellent diningDiningPleasureDined on 9/5/2014Always an enjoyable dinner experience. The overall dining experience is consistently pleasant and meets all expectations for and enjoyable evening. The service, quality of dishes and environment are worth the drive. Me and my companion always feet the environment is relaxing and the Thornton River Grill offers an excellent balance of comfortable environment, comfort, high quality and fresh local cuisine along with a satisfying evening experience. Never rushed or ignored. A wonderfully balanced experience without being pretentious.Special Features:
- Great placeMarkVIPDined on 8/30/2014We've dined at the Thornton River Grille twice and had wonderful food and service both times. This is a great place for a nice dinner if you're visiting the area or lucky enough to live in this part of Virginia.Special Features:
- Always GoodBenNBrendaDined on 8/15/2014This is one of our favorite "local" places to eat. We live across the mountain, but Thornton River Grill is our go to for special occasions or we just need a really excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thornton River GrilleDCbankerVIPDined on 8/10/2014Thornton River Grille is a great place to end a day of wine tasting in the local vineyards and driving through the scenic countryside. Food is always good and service is friendly so you can relax with friends and enjoy the evening either inside or out. It's a favorite stop in Rappahanock County.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rrddppVIPDined on 8/9/2014We always enjoy the Thornton River Grill. The duck breast is perfectly prepared, there is a good choice of wines by the glass. Another one of my favorites Is the tenderloin with tarragon butter. Delicious ff , each dish prepared from scratch and never anything that has been frozen. Well worth the beautiful ( long) drive. We will be back.... :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RazmanDined on 7/18/2014The service was great and the servers were friendly. My wife had the scallops and enjoyed them. I however had the fillet. I thought the fillet was fine but the rest of the dinner was poor. Spinach was like something out of a box and the fingerling potato's had no taste and they appeared to have been cooked earlier and then warmed to put on my plate. The portions on either plate were small. I will come back for brunch/breakfast but I doubt I'll return for dinner.Special Features:
- When in SperryvilleEpiskyVIPDined on 7/16/2014We were visiting from Washington DC and ate here on three separate occasions. It was summer during the week so reservations weren't needed. Their lunch was the best, nice and affordable for two people, $25, including drink. I loved, loved, loved the Roasted Vegetable Quesadilla and my partner had the turkey melt and he says it was really good. Dinner, was not as cheap. I had the scallops which were good and enjoyable and my partner had the duck, which looked really good. There are not a lot of dining choices in the one stop sign town of Sperryville, VA, but it good that one of the few choices is the Thornton River Grille.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, great servicetal27Dined on 7/8/2014and a great wine list with very modest mark-up. The grilled shimp with black beans was the highlight, but all the food looked good. Great offering where you could turn up dressed up or in hiking clothes, the food is very good indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableRT2013Dined on 7/4/2014It's our go-to spot for bistro meals. Casual, friendly, well organized. Generous portions of American recipes with a local flair.Special Features:
- Reviewfoodie8Dined on 7/3/2014Have always looked forward to dining here. Know that the noise level is high and it appears that the prices are high also. The food is quite good but menu doesn't change much. Service is always excellent. It is not environmentally attractive so doesn't make one want to dine there frequently.Special Features:
- Great mealJacksonMcLeanDined on 7/1/2014My wife and I had an anniversary dinner and it was exceptional. The tenderloin and trout main courses were both well prepared and well served. The staff was very friendly and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesVaHeelDined on 6/13/2014We started with martinis- among the best we've ever had at a restaurant. We both had the blue cheese, bacon and bid lettuce salad- very nicely done. I had the seared duck breast which was perfectly done and seasoned. My partner had the scallops. Also perfectly done. If there was a weak spot it was the bread. It was rather bland and without character. It didn't make sense for a place of this caliber. Over all one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014The food was outstanding but the niose was terrible.Special Features:
- Great for its locationDrMike82VIPDined on 5/25/2014My girlfriend and I stopped here on our way to Shenandoah NP on a Sunday night around 6:30, Memorial Day weekend. I had the crab cake, which was as big as a softball and tasty, and my girlfriend had the scallops, which she said were delicious. Our server was attentive and answered all of our questions about the food. The small kitchen works as fast as it can, but our only real complaint is that this gets backed up, so you might expect to wait for your food a little longer than desired. However, when the order is up, it is out to your table hot. We loved it and certainly would like to return. I would definitely suggest it to any friends that I hear are traveling in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very poor & way over priced !maccountryDined on 5/20/2014Had a reservation and were only 1 of 2 couples in the place .Server ( Jess ) came quickly took drink order and brought 1 correct & 1 incorrect. Drank it any way .Dinner came quickly.Requested extra portion of rice --- didn't get it.She brought more "15" minutes later and it was cold & by then rest of meal was finished.Would not even melt butter.Showed her and she comped 1 desert.Meat/beef was good.No candle or flower on table as a year ago.Asked why not and was told "delivery comes to late on Tuesdays for that" !Noticed backs of chairs were all dirty from where people pull them out from table .Presentation ---Good.2 glasses wine,1 mixed drink,1 after dinner "B&B,1 desert,2 appatisers,2 entrees @ $144.28 plus tip.For poor showing @ $20.00.
- The following 208 reviews are from the Thornton River Grille reviews archive.
- Favorite SpotInamistFarmDined on 5/16/2014Great location, nice little town, food is always excellent, very friendly, informal atmosphere.Special Features:
- rrddppVIPDined on 4/24/2014delicious breast of Duck! Yummy cream of shiitake bisque! Nice wines by the glass. We are lucky to have this chef relatively close (45 min) and we always like to make the drive out there :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we love thornton river grilledcfamilyDined on 4/20/2014Servers were incredibly accomodating and attentive. Delicious food. Wonderful wine and great atmosphere. It is a Sperryville treasure !Special Features:
- Hidden GemvadinerDined on 4/15/2014Thornton River Grille is one of those word-of-mouth places that you want to rave about, but try not to in case it becomes too popular. The ambiance is country diner, but nicer. The decor is plain, but elegant by being consistent and unpretentious. The "standards" are good -- steak, cheeseburger, salmon. But the unique items amaze: the pulled brisket Reuben on marbled rye, the carmelized scallops, the grilled crispt/tender shrimp, the mussels, the duck , and the risotto. The sides -- tomato cous-cous, crusted fries, tarragon cole slaw -- make it pretty much perfect. TRG is one of those prizes that you really want to tell everyone about -- just so long as you don't have to stand in line behind them to get a table.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedThomasDined on 4/12/2014I was happy to see that the MANY people who recommended this wonderful restaurant to me were 'right on.' The only negative thing is the rather seedy back door (which serves as the 'front' door) entrance. However, this is quickly forgotten in light of the EXCELLENT upscale food, and the WONDERFUL service. Not cheap, but what good isn't? Make a point of visiting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous as always. Will continueouttolunchVIPDined on 4/10/2014Fabulous as always. Will continue tp return again and again.Special Features:
- Highly RecommendOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/4/2014The main entrees are outstanding and the desserts are phenomenal. We have thoroughly enjoyed each experience and we appreciate the small town feel and quaint ambience. We would recommend reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Suprise in Wine CountryJE1058VIPDined on 4/4/2014Their menu is flavorful! The Bibb lettuce salad was an EXCELLENT way to start! The 14 oz NY Strip was grilled perfectly over an open flame. It was the thickest cut of NY Strip I've ever has as well! The accompanying potatoes were roasted in garlic and offered a delicious, sweet over roasted flavor. The spinach with cherry tomatoes was a great contrast and looked beautiful on the plate. The garlic risotto was also outstanding! Portions are generous!! But if you're still hungry after dinner, give their apple tart a try, it's HUGE! If you just want to satisfy your sweet tooth without a huge dessert, the Chocolate Pots de Crème is a GREAT choice, rich and flavorful without being too rich. The service was great and prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- Always GoodCharlie325aDined on 3/22/2014Whenever I am in the area, I will try to make a visit to the Thornton River Grille. Good food, great grill, fun servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near Castleton Music EventskarmagDined on 3/22/2014The servers here were top notch--very helpful and friendly. Five of us were heading to the wonderful Castleton venue for an evening of opera music and were unfamiliar with the small windy roads we found ourselves on. The entire wait staff joined in on helping us find our way. Oh, and the food was delicious and attractive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Thornton River GrilleouttolunchVIPDined on 3/20/2014The Thornton River Grille is always wonderful. We return again and again and are never disappointed.Special Features:
- Great find in SperryvillePoppi47VIPDined on 3/18/2014We love to find restaurants that are a short walk from where we are staying. Thornton River Grille is just a few stops from several B&B's in Sperryville (We stayed at Hopkins Ordinary-excellent). We loved everything about the place. The food was very good and my desert was better than anything I have had in DC. A wonderful find whether you are hiking in Shenandoah NP, driving the Civil War trail or just antiquing the countryside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on our anniversaryallane3Dined on 3/15/2014We eat at the Grille often. It never disappoints us with the excellent quality of both the food & service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a quiet night. TheToughCriticDined on 3/8/2014It was a quiet night. The food came fast (too fast to enjoy our bottle of wine). Food was excellent. Dining room was small but quiet. There isn't much competition in the area for that type of restaurant but they do a good job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!CaliberDined on 3/4/2014Excellent service,beautiful presentation,delicious food.Definitely will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DinnerHollyDined on 2/15/2014This is the third time I've dined at the Thorton River Grille. The relaxed ambience combined with the elegant dishes makes the Thorton River Grille a perfect spot for romantics for Valentine's Day, anniversaries, etc. The portions are quite generous and the prices were affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best steaks everjjarrellsDined on 2/15/2014I have eaten many steaks and I would put this one right up there in the top 5. My girlfriend ordered the chipolte shirmp and they were also some of the best ever. We will be coming back to try some other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUR SECRETmrubinDined on 2/14/2014Incredible find, this place would be at home in any area known for fabulous restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely delicious meal,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014Absolutely delicious meal, snapper was superb. Risotto cake was not what I envisioned, but was true comfort food once more goat cheese was added. Staff was very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Place to dinescottandlisaDined on 1/25/2014For special occasions or just a night out with friends, this place is great. The service is always excellent and the food is wonderful. A notable wine list as well as great beer selection. All food is prepared fresh, fresh, fresh!! Highly recommend this spot. We have even stopped in for a burger on our way home from work and have received excellent service and attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerBenNBrendaDined on 1/18/2014We always enjoy the TRG! This time we had a reservation, but they were so busy there was a 40 minute wait for the reserved table?? But, aside from that hiccup everything else was good. We were offered drinks while waiting, and the food was excellent. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderful. The eclairsouttolunchVIPDined on 1/16/2014Always wonderful. The eclairs were terrific but only two would have been more than adequate. Bring back the taster menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro dining with a flairRT2013Dined on 12/28/2013Portions are generous and seasonal ingredients are used to create tasty, inventive combinations. Bistro style meats and fowl are featured, but the fish dishes are always fresh and creative. Soups, unique salads, and specials should not be overlooked for starters. Above-average wines can be had by the glass (in the 80-85 pt. range) and the pour is not stingy. Numerous bottled wines are also available as are artisian beers. In winter, seating is limited to about 70 indoors. Despite the busyness, our service was spot on. Food arrived hot at appropriate intervals and wines by the glass were pefectly timed. Reservations are a must at the most popular times. For this style of dining, this charming spot is at the top of our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and Local WineEngineerDined on 12/27/2013Excellent place to go for dinner and a choices for some local Virginia wines. The dinning area is cozy - just the right size. My wife had the scallops and I had the filet - both were very good. The staff is very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently very, very goodArJayDined on 12/7/2013TRG is the kind of place you always enjoy and want to return. The food is always very good, service friendly and efficient, and the wine list matches the entrees quite appropriately. Muy bueno.Special Features: