1815 W 39th St.
Kansas City, MO 64111Neighborhood:
39th St / Westport / Midtown
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thomaskc.com/
- Phone: (816) 561-3663
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:00am -4:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday 4:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Thomas Restaurant
Every neighborhood needs a place with a good bar, good food and zero pretensions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Thomas Restaurant - Best Restaurants in 39th St / Westport / Midtown ›
Thomas Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (41)romantic (36)special occasion (31)good for groups (14)late-night find (14)great for lunch (10)notable wine list (10)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (8)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Never FailsJen2Dined on 11/22/2014We frequently go to Thomas and never once have we had bad service or food. Duck is incredible as well as the pork chop. Obviously the chicken is out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but annoying doorOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/21/2014The food and service were very good. At times it got a little loud. The constant loud slamming of the inner front door was very annoying.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindFrenchyDined on 11/19/2014The service was outstanding, better than I've had in a long time. The food was presented with care and the flavors were amazing. I loved the whole feel of the restaurant, and I will most likely be going back and taking my friends with me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved it as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Always love seeing and hearing Vince, the piano man!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperiencegfbookDined on 11/8/2014Great food, attentive service, and engaging atmosphere. A great spot for terrific food priced right!Special Features:
- A wonderful experienceDavePVIPDined on 11/5/2014The food was outstanding and the service was superb! Centrally located in a great spot with very easy parking which allows you to take a nice stroll after your meal. The menu is very diverse with plenty of options for those that are health conscious!Special Features:
- 39th Street GemOutOfTownerVIPDined on 10/30/2014A group of 5 was there on a Thursday for dinner. We arrived a bit early and were seated promptly. There was no rush to order so everyone could review the menu. Starters was the meat & cheese platter - a really good collection of Italian meats & accompanying cheeses. (The pancetta did give a couple of people pause ("The bacon isn't cooked!"... I had to laugh and explain it) Everyone ordered something different and it all came out as ordered together. We all took tastes of the different orders and it was all very good. Being a Thursday, there was not a lot of people and we had a casually paced meal in a nice quiet setting. No one opted for a dessert, so it will require a follow up dinner just to check that out. Order the duck!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/21/2014The food was very good, I didn't see much fish or seafood on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RalphyVIPDined on 10/21/2014Great for lunch. It is so much quieter and better for doing business at lunch than competition down the street. Try it the food is excellent and the wait staff are very helpful Prices are moderate.Special Features:
- Fantastic!SmithyDined on 10/17/2014This is one of the best places we have been to in a long time. The cider chicken was amazing!! My husband had the steak which was also good, but nothing can compare to how good that chicken was. YUM! The piano player was great and knew so many songs by heart. The drinks are a bit pricey but they were also delicious.Special Features:
- Awesome FoodMartyVIPDined on 10/10/2014Thomas restaurant has a great menu and it is located in a really nice area of downtown Kansas City!Special Features:
- Another nice eveningBaconsMomVIPDined on 10/4/2014We celebrated a birthday with friends on Saturday night. The piano music was soft enough to allow conversation, and the food was delicious. Portions were right, not giant. The server forgot to bring one person's iced tea until the end of the meal, but he also had a drink and water, so didn't mind much. AND ... We didn't have a groupon! We WANTED to go there. We like it. You should try it. No need to dress up, either, but 39th Street parking was a pain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was quite goodearl1VIPDined on 10/4/2014We enjoyed our food. Our drinks were slow to come out both rounds but it was busy.Special Features:
- Great Food on W. 39th StreetMartyVIPDined on 9/26/2014My husband and I both enjoyed the food and atmosphere at Thomas Restaurant. We specially loved the Apple Cider Chicken and the grilled Salmon. The staff was awesome they were very courteous and professional. Thomas is in a great location with lots of other restaurants and stores.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodSylphDined on 9/23/2014Although the parking situation is challenging, it's worth the effort to dine at Thomas. The food is consistently good and the service is just right. Also enjoy the live music.Special Features:
- Mondays not a good dayDeanVIPDined on 9/22/2014Was very excited to try on Monday night. Unfortunately, they were out of many things on the menu. No chicken, pork chop or the two pasta apps. Note the menu is rather limited to begin with. Was told that they get their orders in on Tuesday thus the reason for so many outs, but I see this as a bigger issue around customer focus. Knowing they were running low, they made no accommodation by procuring some menu items on the open market thus not disappointing customers. Also, I was very surprised once told on 4 separate occasions that they were out of items they did not offer to comp at least one of our rounds of drinks. Given this lack of customer service, I could never recommend.
- wonderfulLibbiVIPDined on 9/17/2014This is one of our favorite places in KC. The bar is the best place to sit because of the bartenders! The appetizers are perfect and the meals are creative and yummy. Being a KC native-I'm telling the truth! Wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way better service than the normOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/17/2014The food was the usual fare minus a few items that were not available. The server was the hightlight as she was very attentive which is not the norm. We really enjoyed ourselves.I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a surprise!justustwoDined on 9/15/2014My wife and I were fortunate enough to have the opportunity to visit Thomas for the first time recently and boy what a pleasant surprise. We expected it to be good but the food was beyond great and it was different as well. A welcome respite from the same old same old. The inside was very pretty and comfortable. We really liked it and plan to return as soon as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!KuPepperDined on 9/13/2014Our party have 4 had a great time. 2 of the 4 people ordered the Buttermilk Cider Chicken and I wish I have ordered it myself because it was incredible! The pork chop I ordered was good as well. The music is fun and isn't too loud to distract you from dinner conversation.Special Features:
- Excellent!FoodieDined on 9/11/2014Thomas is a small, intimate restaurant with outstanding food, a nice wine list, and a very good piano player (starts @ 7pm) that makes for a wonderful gathering place for friends. 4 of us enjoyed dinner and conversation, would highly recommend, and will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No salmon?AustinDined on 9/9/2014Nice little restaurant with somewhat limited choices at dinner. Can't remember when I've been to a restaurant without salmon on the dinner menu. Enjoyed the seafood samples of scallops and shrimp as small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Loved the live entertainment, food, friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThomasAJP0906Dined on 9/4/2014We were there on Thursday and it was having a surprisingly slow night. Everything was perfect from the food to the drinks. Thomas always has a killer/romantic atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/1/2014My wife's cousin was in town and we chose Thomas restaurant to try as we had not been there yet. We all really enjoyed the atmosphere, service and food. We tried the small plates and entrees and all were very good. My visitor's were very impressed and we had a good time.Special Features:
- Ten all aroundJen2Dined on 8/30/2014I got the new bacon wrapped tenderloin. It was tenderloin was tender then crispy bacon. Spouse got the burger. We have gone enough times he is allowed. For sure isn't the chicken but I would have to argue that it is one of the best burgers in KC. And all always a great, simple, clean drink menu that is intriguing rightly so because the bartender is serious. It is an art and he proves it with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Qualityluv2eathereVIPDined on 8/29/2014We were at Thomas for a special occasion retirement dinner. It was our second time there and both times we have felt cared for, comfortable and well fed. We used a Groupon deal we purchased that included a drink for each of us, a starter to share and 2 entrees. The food and drink is always well made and fresh and the service is especially friendly and prompt. This was a Friday night so the environment was lively and fairly loud...but not so loud we couldn't visit easily. We were sitting right by the piano in the corner by the windows and enjoyed the live music. All in all, this is a great neighborhood gem that is properly priced for what you get and a place you will always smile in when you walk in the front door.Special Features:
- Great FoodLovefooDined on 8/29/2014The food was very good along with a very efficient server. It was everything that was expected for a resturant at this price point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocktails were excellentCorkitVIPDined on 8/23/2014As was the flat iron steak. Crabcakes were void of crab. Should have been called red and green pepper cakes. Sautéed spinach was not unless one counts the heat from the pork. Potatoes were more like home fries than what was on the menu. Note also that they only have Small Cakes cupcakes for dessert now, not the offerings on the menu (the creme brûlée cheesecake was one of the reasons we decided to try it). I was told I had looked at an old menu online (2 hours before we went there). I think the cheesecake was also on the menu I was given when I arrived. Service was attentive though after awhile I got tired of being affirmed every time I ordered something as if I had ordered the best thing on the menu. Again, the cocktails were excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful surprise.ConleyDined on 8/18/2014Every morsel of every dish was cooked perfectly. There's obviously a true chef in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!shelDined on 8/16/2014Loved everything; cocktails were great, appetizer with beef and mushrooms was fantastic! Food was amazing. Only bad thing was the noise level, there's a guy who plays piano and sings -- turned up Way Too Loud! I still would recommend this place though, it's that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonicknameVIPDined on 8/15/2014We ate here on a Friday nite. The food was so good. We've eaten here before and the food is always good, but it just seemed even better this time. I had the duck breast and my companion had the pork loin. We both loved our entrees. The crabcakes for appetizers were delicious. Salads were great. They put asparagus spears on the house salad. Yum. Desserts are cupcakes, which was perfect for us. We wanted a little dessert and these were the right size. Wine list has interesting items on it. Service is great. Piano player is entertaining. Parking is on street, so be advised. We really enjoyed our food and our evening.Special Features:
- Thomas Restaurantlike2dineDined on 8/15/2014Delicious martini's and specialty cocktail's at a great price during happy hour.Special Features:
- Great Birthday PlacebriecheeseDined on 8/9/2014I just recently had my birthday party there. I had more people show up than I was intending and they were more than accommodating, moving us to our own corner, keeping up with us order-wise, just on top of it all the way around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations MetkchawkeyeDined on 8/9/2014This was our first time coming to Thomas and it met all expectations. I enjoyed ambiance and thought the small plates were a nice touch if you don't want a full entree. Cool place and we would come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chowhoundDined on 8/2/2014Nice restaurant which does some things exceptionally well (buttermilk chicken is worth the trip). Needs to tighten up other areas of their restaurant (more timely service, make sure that everything that comes out of the kitchen is as good as that chicken).Special Features:
- artemis8Dined on 8/1/2014Delicious food with some unique options. We enjoyed our meal a lot.Special Features:
- We will be back.LadyofKCVIPDined on 8/1/2014I loved the atmosphere and the live singer while dining in one of the best duck breasts I ever tasted. The side dishes served with the duck were decliciously unique. And, my husband was extremely happy with salmon. The waiter was attentive and we did not feel at all rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014The food was excellent as well as the wine. The live music was a treat. The musician was talented, and did not prevent the diners from visiting. The air unit was very loud intermittently.Special Features:
- Great food, small platesFunFoodDined on 7/30/2014Food is quite good and many interesting dishes. Small plates and entrees are equally good. Service is outstanding.Special Features:
- The following 105 reviews are from the Thomas Restaurant reviews archive.