1815 W 39th St.
Kansas City, MO 64111Neighborhood:
39th St / Westport / Midtown
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thomaskc.com/
- Phone: 8165613663
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:00am -4:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday 4:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Thomas Restaurant
Every neighborhood needs a place with a good bar, good food and zero pretensions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Thomas Restaurant - Best Restaurants in 39th St / Westport / Midtown ›
Thomas Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (55)romantic (39)fit for foodies (38)special occasion (33)good for groups (15)late-night find (12)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (11)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (8)hot spot (5)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great food!KuPepperDined on 9/13/2014Our party have 4 had a great time. 2 of the 4 people ordered the Buttermilk Cider Chicken and I wish I have ordered it myself because it was incredible! The pork chop I ordered was good as well. The music is fun and isn't too loud to distract you from dinner conversation.Special Features:
- Excellent!FoodieDined on 9/11/2014Thomas is a small, intimate restaurant with outstanding food, a nice wine list, and a very good piano player (starts @ 7pm) that makes for a wonderful gathering place for friends. 4 of us enjoyed dinner and conversation, would highly recommend, and will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No salmon?AustinDined on 9/9/2014Nice little restaurant with somewhat limited choices at dinner. Can't remember when I've been to a restaurant without salmon on the dinner menu. Enjoyed the seafood samples of scallops and shrimp as small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Loved the live entertainment, food, friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThomasAJP0906Dined on 9/4/2014We were there on Thursday and it was having a surprisingly slow night. Everything was perfect from the food to the drinks. Thomas always has a killer/romantic atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/1/2014My wife's cousin was in town and we chose Thomas restaurant to try as we had not been there yet. We all really enjoyed the atmosphere, service and food. We tried the small plates and entrees and all were very good. My visitor's were very impressed and we had a good time.Special Features:
- Ten all aroundJen2Dined on 8/30/2014I got the new bacon wrapped tenderloin. It was tenderloin was tender then crispy bacon. Spouse got the burger. We have gone enough times he is allowed. For sure isn't the chicken but I would have to argue that it is one of the best burgers in KC. And all always a great, simple, clean drink menu that is intriguing rightly so because the bartender is serious. It is an art and he proves it with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Qualityluv2eathereVIPDined on 8/29/2014We were at Thomas for a special occasion retirement dinner. It was our second time there and both times we have felt cared for, comfortable and well fed. We used a Groupon deal we purchased that included a drink for each of us, a starter to share and 2 entrees. The food and drink is always well made and fresh and the service is especially friendly and prompt. This was a Friday night so the environment was lively and fairly loud...but not so loud we couldn't visit easily. We were sitting right by the piano in the corner by the windows and enjoyed the live music. All in all, this is a great neighborhood gem that is properly priced for what you get and a place you will always smile in when you walk in the front door.Special Features:
- Great FoodLovefooDined on 8/29/2014The food was very good along with a very efficient server. It was everything that was expected for a resturant at this price point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocktails were excellentCorkitDined on 8/23/2014As was the flat iron steak. Crabcakes were void of crab. Should have been called red and green pepper cakes. Sautéed spinach was not unless one counts the heat from the pork. Potatoes were more like home fries than what was on the menu. Note also that they only have Small Cakes cupcakes for dessert now, not the offerings on the menu (the creme brûlée cheesecake was one of the reasons we decided to try it). I was told I had looked at an old menu online (2 hours before we went there). I think the cheesecake was also on the menu I was given when I arrived. Service was attentive though after awhile I got tired of being affirmed every time I ordered something as if I had ordered the best thing on the menu. Again, the cocktails were excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful surprise.ConleyDined on 8/18/2014Every morsel of every dish was cooked perfectly. There's obviously a true chef in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!shelDined on 8/16/2014Loved everything; cocktails were great, appetizer with beef and mushrooms was fantastic! Food was amazing. Only bad thing was the noise level, there's a guy who plays piano and sings -- turned up Way Too Loud! I still would recommend this place though, it's that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonicknameVIPDined on 8/15/2014We ate here on a Friday nite. The food was so good. We've eaten here before and the food is always good, but it just seemed even better this time. I had the duck breast and my companion had the pork loin. We both loved our entrees. The crabcakes for appetizers were delicious. Salads were great. They put asparagus spears on the house salad. Yum. Desserts are cupcakes, which was perfect for us. We wanted a little dessert and these were the right size. Wine list has interesting items on it. Service is great. Piano player is entertaining. Parking is on street, so be advised. We really enjoyed our food and our evening.Special Features:
- Thomas Restaurantlike2dineDined on 8/15/2014Delicious martini's and specialty cocktail's at a great price during happy hour.Special Features:
- Great Birthday PlacebriecheeseDined on 8/9/2014I just recently had my birthday party there. I had more people show up than I was intending and they were more than accommodating, moving us to our own corner, keeping up with us order-wise, just on top of it all the way around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations MetkchawkeyeDined on 8/9/2014This was our first time coming to Thomas and it met all expectations. I enjoyed ambiance and thought the small plates were a nice touch if you don't want a full entree. Cool place and we would come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chowhoundDined on 8/2/2014Nice restaurant which does some things exceptionally well (buttermilk chicken is worth the trip). Needs to tighten up other areas of their restaurant (more timely service, make sure that everything that comes out of the kitchen is as good as that chicken).Special Features:
- artemis8Dined on 8/1/2014Delicious food with some unique options. We enjoyed our meal a lot.Special Features:
- We will be back.LadyofKCVIPDined on 8/1/2014I loved the atmosphere and the live singer while dining in one of the best duck breasts I ever tasted. The side dishes served with the duck were decliciously unique. And, my husband was extremely happy with salmon. The waiter was attentive and we did not feel at all rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014The food was excellent as well as the wine. The live music was a treat. The musician was talented, and did not prevent the diners from visiting. The air unit was very loud intermittently.Special Features:
- Great food, small platesFunFoodDined on 7/30/2014Food is quite good and many interesting dishes. Small plates and entrees are equally good. Service is outstanding.Special Features:
- Date With WifeSmokenGDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I have a date night once a month. I like surprising her with flowers, clean car and a new place to eat. This restaurant was fun, and neat place to take her for dinner. We will be back for sure.Special Features:
- Food is fixed to order!JMMHVIPDined on 7/21/2014How many times have you gone in a restaurant and wanted to leave something out of the dish or add it? Then you come to find out it has all been pre-marinated, fixed in advance etc. Well if you are like me and want freshly cooked food and sauces to order this place is for you. The menu includes lots of small plates and entrees, but no homemade desserts. It doesn't matter, the food is exceptional. You can get desserts they don't make (just like most of the other restaurants around) or skip dessert and have dessert at home or elsewhere. We didn't have dessert, for all I know their dessert is great. The drinks are average. The service is outstanding .... we will go again.
- Great food but priceyTwofoodiesinloveDined on 7/19/2014We enjoyed our meal but the regular prices were quite high for the portions offered. The cider chicken was amazing! The service was excellent and we used a groupon but our waitress was very helpful about it. The only other downside was their air sounded like a horrible industrial fan that made my head want to explode- but it wasn't constant and the ambiance was very nice otherwise. Would recommend to friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and friendlyhearl01Dined on 7/18/2014We enjoyed a lovely dinner at Thomas Restaurant, food was great and drinks were over the top! Especially liked the atmosphere and friendly people who waited on us! We look forward to another visit.Special Features:
- paulinaVIPDined on 7/14/2014I love this little hideaway restaurant and the service was much better this time. The appetizer was great, but the food was only soso this time. Portions seem to be getting smaller and smaller. I hate leaving hungry. Normally I would recommend this place, but the food is important. Sorry.
- Short-handed and it showedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014This was our first time and they were understaffed and service was disorganized and poor. Fortunately the manager waited on us so our service was a bit better than others. Food was good, but they ran out of key dishes, so that was also unfortunate.Special Features:
- Always good foodMschapkerDined on 7/9/2014Everything was exceptional (food, atmosphere) except service was below normal for Thomas' standards from drink orders, had to ask for silverware, and no dessert was suggested. Great food will get us back though.Special Features:
- Enjoyablellf1219Dined on 7/9/2014We will return! Loved the Buttermilk Chicken! Nice piano music and singer.Special Features:
- Thomas will see me again soon.lindylouDined on 7/8/2014Ok.... I have not had a steak in a while, but the medium rare filet I had was cooked just right and it was soooooo tender. The zuch , tomato, and mashed potato were yummy too. Nicely plated. Attentive,but not pushy service. The piano player was great, but don't sit too close.Special Features:
- good foodconeaDined on 7/7/2014Went Monday night and since Tuesday was deliver day, they were out of shrimp and steak, but we all ordered very nice meals. Scallops appetizer was very tasty. They have Small cakes for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KCdinerDined on 7/3/2014I was really disappointed in my dining experience. I had been really looking forward to eating here and had heard from a friend for years about how much she liked this place. This was the first time I had eaten at this restaurant. They were severely understaffed. We waited at the host stand for at least 10 minutes before we were helped despite having a reservation. Then it was at least another 10-15 minutes until our server arrived. She was rather rude. She took our entire order at once. They were out of the entree that I ordered, which wasn't a huge deal, though disappointing. Our appetizer was cold. Our entrees were decent, but nothing special. Perhaps we hit them on a bad night. Regardless, I wouldn't come back.
- mixed feelingspaulinaVIPDined on 7/3/2014Came in and stood for a few minutes, then had a gal tell us to find a table. She seemed a little unfriendly. Then we sat, she brought water, then completely ignored us, walking by waiting on others for a full 20 min before I asked the waitress from the upper deck if she would please wait on us. She did and did a pretty good job especially considering running back and fourth from upstairs. The food was good, plates a little smaller than my last visit. All and all it was o.k. might give it another chance since I have liked it before this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DC13VIPDined on 7/2/2014not only do they have great food but they have one of the best piano players in town. Vince made the evening that much more specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderfulFive4kcDined on 6/28/2014Thomas restaurant has been a great place for dinner every time we've been there. Food is always great, service is friendly and efficient and the gentleman who plays the piano superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence in ComfortpickydinerDined on 6/25/2014Divine food and community-like environment combined with a piano player and excellent service. It's a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little gemHungrymanVIPDined on 6/23/2014A little gem of a restaurant offering great dishes at down home prices. Had the Buttermilk chicken and it was delicious.Special Features:
- perfect date nightluvdatenightDined on 6/20/2014This is a great place for an adult night out! We have been twice and we were amazed by the food both times. We really went back for the beef tips with burgundy mushrooms. Delicious! And their drinks! Strong and smooth just the way we like them. One of the best places to eat in Kansas City! Ambience is perfect for date night. Vincent Cook is there Tuesday thru Saturday playing the piano and crooning out tunes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceKCfoodieDined on 6/20/2014Dinner was excellent. They do need to hire a pastry chef or outsource locally. Appetizer and entree wonderful!! The salmon fish special should be added to the full time menu. The dessert was just okay and they only had two to select from.Special Features:
- WonderfulDEDBVIPDined on 6/14/2014Both of us enjoyed the food so much. The waitress, Tina, was excellent. Parking was ok, too. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.