Thom Pham's Wondrous Azian Kitchen
533 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55403Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Thom Pham's Wondrous Azian Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wondrousmpls.com/
- Phone: 6123381479
- Hours of Operation:
Sun- Thursday. 11am- Midnight. Fri- Saturday. 11am- 2am. Lunch. Mon-Fri 11am-2:30pm Dinner daily. 7 days a week Happy Hour. 3-6pm Mon-Fri, 11am-6pm Sat-Sun. Late Night Happy Hour. 10pm-Close Happy Hour $3.00 Draft Beer $6.00 Sake $6.00 Signature Cocktails $2 Off All Wine By The Glass ½ Price Selected Bottles of Wine $4.95 Selected Appetizers
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Asian, Eurasian
- Executive Chef: Thom Pham
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Catering is available for off-site locations for larger groups.
- Entertainment: Caterpillar Lounge.
A word from Thom Pham's Wondrous Azian Kitchen
In the midst of Hennepin Avenue's revival if you’re going to a game or the theater, whether you’re in jeans or dressed up for a night on the town, you’ll feel welcome at Wondrous Azian Kitchen. The music emanates through our brightly colored bar with murals from local artists, into our dining spaces filled with Asian antiques. Our menu has options for both the casual diner, and the foodie looking for something new and exciting. From the Bánh mì Burger, Spare Ribs marinated in Azian spices, Cantaloupe Sake Float, Walleye with Jalapeño and Basil, Cranberry Puffs, or a Wagyu Hot Dog. When food cultures collide Wondrous things happen!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thom Pham's Wondrous Azian Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
- Will Be Out Of Business in 6 MonthsCamboDined on 10/13/2012This is the first time I have felt compelled to review a restaurant, because it was one of the least satisfying and surreal dining experiences I have ever had. First, the menu is a chaotic mess. It is not actually Asian-themed menu, but is instead a cobbled-together combination of unappealing burgers and very high-priced meat, poultry, and seafood entrees with only nominal Asian flavorings. None of us found anything remotely appealing. Second, the quality of the food is pretty awful. My college-aged son ordered the chicken, and it was a foot high heap of greasy, bony meat. My burger was edible, barely. Finally, the service was desultory. They had no record of my reservation, and it took a long time to get a waiter to our table.
- The menu was limited and aOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2012The menu was limited and a little high. They were out of a few things as well. Service was pretty good, except the waiter wasn't entirely familiar with the "new" menu. Probably wouldn't go back.
- The new menu is no longer asianOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2012Thom Pham's Wondrous Azian Kitchen used to have a fantastic asian menu. Their pad thai, chicken in black bean sauce and chicken curry were amazing. My wife and I and our friends loved it. When we went on Friday we found that the asian dishes we loved the most were replaced by hamburgers and hotdogs. My wife is vegetarian and struggled to find a good option. We had loved this spot before hitting a game or a show. We will not be back.
- The DealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2012Portions are huge, some slightly overpriced. Walleye was very good. Short ribs were a bit tough and came on an obnoxious platter with what looked like a whole basket of soggy fries. Good saki selection, but they were out of 70% of them when I was there. It is also very loud and the tables are close enough together that I had to squeeze into my seat. I'm only 5'8 170 lbs. I would recommend this to a group or a younger crowd.Special Features:
- Worst Meal in a Long TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2012You can tell that there is a new owner by the bad decisions being made left and right. First, the menu isn't even Asian food anymore. It is burgers, hotdogs, fries, shakes, etc. Horrible decision. Super average to below average food. If you want a burger, fries, and a shake, go to the American Burger Bar down the street. Since I wanted Asian food, I was left ordering mainly off of the appetizer menu. I ordered the calamari (rubbery, overcooked), cream cheese wontons (only good thing), dumplings (too tough to bite), crispy chicken (flavorless and rock hard), and fried rice (brown rice and flavorless). I miss the old menu, energy, and asian character of the old restaurant. Will never go back and will not allow friends to go either.
- Not impressed.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2012Went on a Wednesday night. Waited at the front for 5+ minutes before we saw any employees Bar was dead and there was nobody in sight behind the bar. There was one large happy hour group that seemed to be the focus of the place. I would go back for happy hour and apps. Had the Walleye and it was below average. Wife had the steak and it was over done. Brought my wife the wrong wine and didn't even comp it. I guess the bartender couldn't handle opening a bottle of beer for me and reading a wine label within a 10 minute period we waited for drinks. Overall not impressed.
- We've eaten here 2 other timesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2012We've eaten here 2 other times and enjoyed it both times. This Sunday afternoon was quite different. There were only 2 table with people, us included. It took 30 minutes to get our food once we ordered. The food did not seem fresh, the pot stickers seemed chewy & microwaved. They didn't seem prepared for customers. Was an incredibly odd experience.
- Won't go back. AppetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2012Won't go back. Appetizers good. Salad a waste of money. Blender broken so we couldn't have ordered drink. Prices way to high
- Try again, Thom.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2012True to most other reviews I've read, the food was good, but the service terrible. The staff seemed poorly managed. Took forever to take our order and to even get our drinks. One "server" on staff who seemed out of his element. A pack of the restaurant staff stayed at the bar after their shift ended and were annoyingly loud and obnoxious. Etc...
- Thom Pham's was nice, veryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2012Thom Pham's was nice, very pricey and I wish I could have sat in the dining room as opposed to the bar. I was late for my reservation and the staff was overly accommodating.Special Features:
- Big restaurant; very emptymariaDined on 9/18/2012Big restaurant; very empty until about the time we left (7:30 PM). I was disappointed that there were not more Asian items on the menu. What we had was very good, tho'. Our service was uneven--not many customers, but not much waitstaff visibility, either. Wines are very overpriced.Special Features:
- Overpriced but menu has improvedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2012I still don't think Thom Pham's cuisine is so spectacular it merits the prices, but by and large the portions are enormous. Seems a bit of a sell-out to quantity over quality. Crab cake was large and well-prepared, but not inspired. Same goes for the spanker. And bring back the curries -- they were some of the best around. Short ribs were average, with a huge portion for the price. Up the quality, cut the portions by 1/3 and do a modest trim (a few bucks) on the prices and you'll have a winner.
- disappointing lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2012Disappointing overall. Our first visit there, but it will be our last. Unexciting menu with bland and rubbery flavors. The place was completely dead --- obviously others figured out before us that this place should be skipped.
- Thake out the American foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2012Thake out the American food of the menu. Little bit disappionted, they chang up the menu. I had a very, very excellent experience with oriental menu early part of this summer. couple of Oriental dish I'd order was replace by American food menu... very disappionting!!!Special Features:
- A very nice decor inside withOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2012A very nice decor inside with great service. The food lacked creativity and taste. The wings were good, but the Chicken Satay was bland. Our entrees were al also very bland.Special Features:
- Not enough vegetarian itemsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2012Not enough vegetarian items (only one vegetarian entree!?)and the food was wayyyy too Americanized. I expected an Asian restaurant to at least have a fried rice or noodle dish. Very disappointing...
- Don't get the lamb; not worth the $OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2012It was too noisy - the music was too loud. I wish there was a quiet zone dining area for people who want to speak in a normal tone to their dining partners and hear what they are saying. I had the rack of lamb which small amount of meat on the bone which was cooked medium well when I requested - and they recommended - medium rare. The idea of the mushroom sauce on the rack of lamb sounded appealing but it turned out to be too sugary and sticky. There was nothing green on the plate -- just brown, which wasn't visually appealing. It was overpriced for the experience. The walleye was pretty good and looked more visually appealing. The ginger martini was very good. Despite the disappointment of the lamb, the wait staff were good
- Mitch is an excellent server.DawnDined on 9/11/2012Mitch is an excellent server. The cocktails are fun and delicious!Special Features:
- Felt like it was going outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2012Felt like it was going out of business. Food wasn't as good as the first time I had visited this place.
- The menu change was a mistake.TravelgirlDined on 9/7/2012The menu change was a mistake. The food was absolutely terrible; we shared a variety of dishes and the chicken and shrimp both had the consistency of being warmed up in a microwave. The steak had no flavor but was at least tender. No one in the group could eat the food it was so poor. We were there in February and were excited to go back, now I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- The menu had changed sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2012The menu had changed since I was last there. I was not that impressed. We were excited to get the ribs, but they were not available. The is no stir fry options available. Disappointed.
- Very disappointed. When IOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2012Very disappointed. When I booked this reservation the menu actually contained Asian food and I booked it for my anniversary. When we got there it was hamburgers and hot dogs. Awful!
- Nothing on the menu lookedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2012Nothing on the menu looked special or had the wow power to reel me in. Should a sauce make a dish tolerable or add to a wonderful dining experience? This place thinks the first I think the last. Cranberry cream cheese puffs, blah. Calamari, blah. Chicken skewers, blah. Spice things up....a lot!
- We were seated in the bar,PleasedDined on 8/23/2012We were seated in the bar, which was fine but not what we expected. Beautiful decor; tasty spring rolls, crab, soup. Overly fried crab, house special cheese puffs. Service slow.
- We wanted to sit outside butOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2012We wanted to sit outside but the restaurant allows smoking at their outdoor table and the guy next to us had a huge cigar so we had to move. That was not a great start to the evening, but the cranberry-curry cream cheese won tons soon made up for it.Special Features:
- Phantastic Pre-Theatre DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2012A high-energy spot in the theater district of Minneapolis, had a really good pre-show meal. Sat outside along Hennepin, soaked in the vibe of the evening crowd's coming down to drink, dine and do shows. Host and waitress helpful in choosing various small plates for sharing in our party. Had bao (yummy steamed buns, plus their version of satay, plus potstickers, plus wings. Re. the wings: we were told the curry ones were spicy, but like a lot of (most) Twin Cities restaurants, what's described as hot is actually not. The entree was really good - we had the large grilled char that served our entire table, brought whole and carved and boned tableside. A really well-cooked fish, with perfectly crisped skin. Overall a very nice time.Special Features:
- Don't botherOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2012Tom Phams has long been known for having innovative food. Amazing fusion and well blended curry dishes. They have now removed every, and I mean every signature dish from the menu and added a variety of burgers. You can do much better for a night out in Minneapolis.
- Great flavors. A bit loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2012Great flavors. A bit loud for my taste but it overall was great.Special Features:
- Menu ChangemplsGFDined on 8/13/2012They changed their menu - added several unusual burgers and cut all the noodle dishes I loved! They also did away with the gluten-free menu (which made sense since they cut most of the gluten-free dishes). I'm sorry to say I'm taking them off my go-to list.
- Something MissingJmor86Dined on 8/9/2012The menu has changed since previous visits, and many of our favorites were no longer offered. That had been one of our reasons for going back. The new menu isn't bad, but we miss the pad thai and the amazing cranberry curry.Special Features:
- Ok to poorMBEHRNSDined on 8/5/2012Was looking for awesome Asian food and did not find it. Maybe it's me... What is azian food? Bar was pretty much empty but finally went to the Bar to pay bill. Ugh, I can take so so ok type food if the Service is good.Special Features:
- Too pricy for what you getOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2012Too pricy for what you get and.food are alright. The most expensive Asian (asian fusion) food the twin cities. Be sure to prepare $65+ for the dinner of 2 without fancy drinks. The only good thing is that it located right in the middle of downtown Minneapolis.Special Features:
- Streamlined MenuFoodieGurlDined on 8/3/2012Thom Pham's is a fun restaurant. It was our third visit there, and we were disappointed to find that the menu had changed so that one of my favorite dishes was no longer offered. Even with the streamlined menu, there are still many choices, and the food was fabulous.Special Features:
- I am not a fan of the newRebeccajc2Dined on 8/2/2012I am not a fan of the new menu, and it was too pricey for what we received. I'll find someplace else to go the next time I am downtown for dinner.
- Used to be my favorite. NowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2012Used to be my favorite. Now the menu is no better than McDonald's. Burgers, Hot Dogs, Sausage and Fries? Give me a break.
- I don't care for the new menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2012I don't care for the new menu at all. It seems more like a sports bar menu. Where are the Asian items?
- Great location/atmosphere. OK foodMattVDined on 7/29/2012We wanted to try this place for a while,but left never needing to go back. The restaurant is visually striking, and looks awesome inside and out. Service was very good, but it was a constant up-sell on everything. My wife ordered wine, and I said I was going to stick with ice water. The waitress responded, "Are you sure you wouldn't rather have a mojito? They're so refreshing!" Yeah, I know what I want to drink. All in all, it was a cool place to visit once. However, walking out with a $120 tab (tip included)seemed absurd, because the food just wasn't that good. If I were basing the tab just off food quality, I would have expected to walk out paying $50-60 for the two of us. There was not one plate that made us say "WOW!"Special Features:
- Thom Pham's changed theirOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2012Thom Pham's changed their menu since the last time we had been there. The asian dishes we had to choose from before are gone, with the new options being hamburgers and hot dogs.
- DismalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2012We were very disappointed by this restaurant. Business wasn't busy, but service was horribly slow. It took an hour and a half to get our entrees and another hour to get our dessert and bill. The food order came out wrong on top of that!
- The Cranberry puffs were dynamite.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2012The Cranberry puffs were dynamite. Our food was tasty and fresh but I was not inspired by the new menu.Special Features: