Thirsty Moose Taphouse
21 Congress St
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Thirsty Moose Taphouse
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thirstymoosetaphouse.com/
- Phone: 6034278645
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Thirsty Moose Taphouse
The first thing that hits you when you walk into the Thirsty Moose Tap House is the massive number of beer taps – 116 in all – framed by a giant metal moose head. The new restaurant, located in the old Muddy River and Foobar space, is scheduled to open next week, as long as all of the inspections are done.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thirsty Moose Taphouse reviews from OpenTable diners
1 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great place to watch a gameKimberleyTVIPDined on 10/19/2014My husband and I visited the Thirsty Moose on a Sunday afternoon. The restaurant has a large number of TV's and they were all turned to different football games. They have a large beer selection including a number of beer on tap.Special Features:
- Nothing SpecialTamieLVIPDined on 5/11/2014I went here for brunch. I wish I had gone somewhere else as the food was not well prepared and left much to be desired. The only reason I gave 2 stars was that it had a vast selection of beers and a variety of sports broadcasting. I think they should stick to bar food and focus on their asset of have a great bar scene.Special Features:
- lunch was just okLoveThatVIPDined on 5/1/2014Too many delicious restaurants and choices in Portsmouth to stop here again for lunch. Salad was ok.
- Come for drinks - Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013A group of friends and I came for New years eve dinner. Place was moderately busy when we got there, and became increasingly busy as the night went on. We ordered a wings appetizer which was fantastic. The fish and chips needed seasoning because tthey were very bland but the rest of us enjoyed our meals. However the service was pretty bad. Took a while to get the attention of our waiter, who must have introduced herself four times, four different approaches. Which was odd. We were having different people come to the table all night giving us our food, our drinks and so on so we never knew who to approach when we needed things. I'd go back for the appetizers, and their beer list was unbeatable.Special Features:
- Great beer selectionKatieVIPDined on 10/11/2013We recently tried Thirsty Moose Taphouse for lunch and were pleasantly surprised by both the food and the beer selection. We'll definitely be back! We're not sports fans, but for those who are this is a great spot with huge TVs all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too dimly lit and a bit depressingreturnerVIPDined on 1/7/2013Too dimly lit and a bit depressing (not enough done to it since it was Muddy River Smokehouse). But the burgers were great and the beer list voluminous and interesting (though it would have been easier to read and select if the lighting were better).It was nice that even in the middle of the afternoon, there were other patrons.They might think about having closed captioning on their many TV screens, because...well, because there are no many TV screens so it's hard not to find yourself looking at one.We'll try this again at night and see how it is then.
- We took our teenagers thereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2012We took our teenagers there for dinner New Years Eve. The place was cool and fun and the food was great pub fare. The staff was helpful and friendly. Lots of TVs mounted on the walls. Would be a great place to watch a game. The girls had a great time. Good choice!!Special Features:
- Huge beer list but why all the kidsTripleBDined on 12/1/2012The pizza was exceptional, and our server was extremely attentive. The beer list is what this place is known for . Almost 120 on tap. The only knock on this place is all the little kids. I just don't think a major bar should have infants and toddlers all around. This place would be 5 out of 5 otherwise.Special Features:
- Loved the idea of all theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012Loved the idea of all the beers on tap and thought it was great they had a beer menu that read like the food menu. It gave perfect explanations of the beer and made it fun to try something new and different. The menu had typical "bar food" but it was excellent bar food. We all tried a different burger and were all thrilled with our choice (and had to snag a bite of each others). We don't live in the area, but we will be back!Special Features:
- Great place for a beer andOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/12/2012Great place for a beer and the Deconstructed Sammy is a good idea but my roast beef was very dry.Special Features:
- Good beer and an extensiveJessicaVIPDined on 10/7/2012Good beer and an extensive menu made this perfect for Sunday brunch with kids in tow. Nice seasonal beer selection with something for everyone, and chocolate milk for the kids!Special Features:
- Best Beer Selection on the SeacoastOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/21/2012Unbelievable beer selection on tap. Food is basic, but it was very good.Special Features:
- Food and beer was great, butengineerVIPDined on 9/11/2012Food and beer was great, but had to wait 40 minutes for 2 sandwiches, we were the only party to order or have food delivered from the kitchen during this time. There are enough other places in Portsmouth,, we won't be returning.
- OK so far..will try again!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2012Food was fine, but very normal...not too exciting. Has good potential for a new restaurant but has some growing pains to overcome. Beer orders seem to be placed but server and then delivered by seperate "beer servers". We ordered beers on at least 4 separate occasions and every time the wait was way too long, especially when that is the specialty of the house. Restaurant did not know about our reservation but when I mentioned that I had one we were seated immediately even though there appeared to be others waiting...good points for that. I can't telll anyone that "You must go" but I will give it another try. Oh, VERY noisy...not just people but basically from poor acoustics.Special Features:
- MANY kinks to work outOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/15/2012- Food was mediocre; burger bun came out rock solid, inedible. Wings came out without sauce? Pizza undercooked.- Waitress, although nice, had zero knowledge of any of the beers -- at a Taphouse? Not to mention that most of the popular taps were empty?- Interior feels unfinished... paint and some pictures on the wall, but the ambiance was seriously lacking.