Thirsty Lion Pub & Grill
2000 E Rio Salado Pkwy Suite 1041
Tempe, AZ 85281Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: $30 and under
Thirsty Lion Pub & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thirstylionpub.com/tempe
- Phone: 4809682920
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 1:00am, Sunday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest
- Executive Chef: Kody Harris
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Sports, music, videos and more.
A word from Thirsty Lion Pub & Grill
Thirsty Lion is an entirely new pub experience. We offer a wide range of menu options, exceptional service and great music.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Thirsty Lion Pub & Grill - Best Restaurants in Tempe ›
Thirsty Lion Pub & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (32)vibrant bar scene (22)great for lunch (19)hot spot (14)fit for foodies (10)late-night find (10)special occasion (9)neighborhood gem (9)great for outdoor dining (9)romantic (3)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Never dissapointedmltagrlDined on 8/23/2014I have been here several times and I have had great service and the food has been excellent each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Friday Dinner HangoutandyazDined on 8/22/2014Went for dinner with family on Friday night. Ordered one of my staples there, the seared Ahi tuna, and it did not dissapoint. Great beers too. Love the ambiance, very energetic. Overall just a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for what it isTwoguysVIPDined on 8/13/2014This is a no frills sports bar sort of place, located in a large mall. The atmosphere is very basic: dark tables, low lights, loud music, big screens with sports events playing on them. The volume is HIGH. No rugs or tablecloths to absorb the voices and music. One must speak up a bit to be heard. In terms of food, the fish tacos were flavorful, a fried green bean appetizer was awesomely good, but the Cobb salad was very disappointing. The hot and dirty martini, with olives stuffed with jalapeño, was very tasty and I recommend it if you like spicy food or cocktails. Prices were a bit higher than expected, but service was attentive and efficient. If you are looking for a quick decent meal in a bustling atmosphere, this place is perfect.I would recommend this to a friend.
- EHAZDined on 8/13/2014Had to ask for a place setting . Would not serve my 23 year old daughter a beer even though she had a valid driver's license.Special Features:
- Always Great Food!MMckinleyVIPDined on 8/8/2014We have had the opportunity to eat at Thirsty Lion many times (different seasons of the year), lunch and dinner, alone or with friends -- and it is always great. Wonderful reception when we enter the establishment, attentive service, excellent food -- just a very 'fun place to go'! We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish n chipsFranklyDined on 8/5/2014I should have gotten something else but went for the fish and chips. The fish was greasy and fries were wimpy like they had been under a heat lamp for some time. I was really disappointed but never said anything because I was taking a coworker to lunch. The coleslaw was delicious though. As I looked around the room, the other food looked much better.Special Features:
- food quality poor this timeunhappyfreindsDined on 7/26/2014We dine here 2 to 3 times a month. This night we took friends because we always brag how great the food is. The 2 burgers were overcooked and one on the wrong bun.the mac and cheese chipotle sauce was scorched almost tasted burnt..this has always been my favorite dish.we will return. I m not to sure about our guestsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night dinnerDindinduoDined on 7/25/2014Great menu, very busy but service was good regardless...manager even rounded, prices were good, selection was good, noise left a little to be desired. Made reservations for 515 to beat the rush but that didn't work out as planned. Plan on trying a week night to compare the difference. Wouldn't recommend taking kids, at least not on a weekend...to many people and to noisy. Otherwise we plan on going back and taking friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Denver RevisitedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014We first tried Thirsty Lion in Denver and wanted to see how the Tempe version compared to Denver. It was not quite as good, but still very good food and great selection of beers and ciders. Did not seem to have the same atmosphere as well, but overall it was still very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ServiceMothersDayTreatDined on 6/24/2014There were 7 kids under 13, and they were treated very well. Service was outstanding, the menu was excellent, and the food delicious. My problem was that as a 71 year old, I felt it was too noisy. However, that's the nature of a sports pub.Special Features:
- Good Place for DateTKJBoilerDined on 6/22/2014It is a very good place and Value for food and drinks. Kind of loud but after soccer game the music did come down a little. I am glad I took the time to make the reservation, the staff did a very good job of getting table on time after US soccer gameSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!YvonneDined on 6/22/2014Kayla who was out server was phenomenal! She did such an attentive and thorough job when the entire place was loaded with World Cup fans! We always felt taken care of and attended to! Thank you!Special Features:
- DependableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014Always good food and service at Thirsty Lion. Staff is great, beer is cold (with lots to chose from) and food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thirsty lion reviewVeeleeDined on 6/15/2014The food was good, but the service wasn't that great. The waiter wasn't as attentive and slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for girls weekendBvrhsnDined on 5/31/2014A group of 6 girlfriends down from Seattle stumbled upon this place, it was great. Lots of room, great food, great drinks! If we would have had more time we would have gone back in the same trip! Recommend the cherry seasonal drink, the Greek burger and the pizza on the seasonal menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2014Made a reservation here so I had somewhere to watch the basketball game. I stayed for the entire game and our waitress was great! The food was amazing and their Happy Hour was great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/19/2014Quality of food & service was not up to par this visit. We dine here frequently before a movie but this visit was lacking that special something.
- Awesome Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Our server was great! I would definitely go back to this restaurant. It was a great experience for a first time customer.Special Features:
- great for parties not quiet dateseventsgirlDined on 5/9/2014I went on a date there, it was okay, we sat outside. The outside seating isn't very comfortable, as the seats are just benches. But the food was good, service was sub-parSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Service and Staff!TrestleGirls2014Dined on 5/9/2014We were greeted by several energetic staff members when we entered the restaurant. The hostess immediately brought us to our booth, where the server came right up and was very friendly and attentive through our entire lunch. This was our first time at the restaurant and we were very pleased at the service, restaurant scene and friendly staff. We will be back again soon and will definitely recommend this place to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 158 reviews are from the Thirsty Lion Pub & Grill reviews archive.
- good overallKimcDined on 5/3/2014Overall great food and atmosphere. The only negative item was we felt rushed out when we would have rather stayed and had another drink.Special Features:
- DinnerDinnerDined on 5/3/2014Great place, we met some friends and had a great server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2014The food was excellent with a great variety if choices. My waitress always had my glass full. It made for a great night with friends I hadn't seen for a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014This place was nice and had really good food. Although I found the music so loud. You could not hear the person sitting across the table from you. When asked to be moved outside, we would of had an additional 25 minute wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingbethlaurieVIPDined on 5/1/2014I had been to Thirsty Lion a couple of times for lunch. This was for dinner with friends. The hostess station was divided into groups. So if you had a reservation you had to talk to someone else than if you were a walk in. Seemed walk ins got more service. Drinks took forever from the bar, and we only had beers. French dip was dry and very disappointing. No one stopped by to give refills on water unless we asked. After paying our bill, though we chatted awhile, not a single server stopped by for water or anything. I will not go back.
- Awesome food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/29/2014We just moved to the area and have now been in on three occasions over the last 3 weeks! Plan to make this a regular spot!Special Features:
- PALATE PLEASERPATLBAMDined on 4/14/2014TAKING GUESTS TO THIRSTY LION PUB & GRILL FOR LUNCH IS A JOY BECAUSE I AM GUARANTEED THAT EVERY PALATE WILL BE SURPRISINGLY PLEASED. THE VARIETY OF THE MENU IS THE BEST FOR THE MONEY, FLAVORS AND PAIRINGS. THANKS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was great but foodNakiskaDined on 3/27/2014Service was great but food was not up to par...out of 8 four dishes were terrible...the mac, corn beef and cabbage, panini not warm, fish and chips...too much batter, rest okay...would not go back...Special Features:
- We have been here a lot .OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/27/2014We have been here a lot . The food is awsome and the people that work here are great.Special Features:
- Sixth time is not the charm...am1209Dined on 3/22/2014I don't want to rate this restaurant to harshly, because this was our sixth time. I did rate those other five visits with 5 stars. Unfortunately, this visit was really horrible. First we always use open table to make a reservation, this restaurant really needs a hostess for the long line of walk ins and a hostess for the people with reservations. We ordered drinks which both came in dirty glasses, and we got a Blue Moon instead of the Hefewizen. The appetizer we ordered didn't show up until our dinner came out, and we mentioned the error, it was fixed free of charge. The fish tacos were excellent, the grilled skirt steak was dry and the entire dish was bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place and AMAZING ServiceShaneDined on 3/22/2014I loved this place, my girlfriend and I went there and we were met with amazing service and the waiter ( who was a teacher) was absolutley perfect. Great food and a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- usually greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2014Normally we love coming here and have greet service. We just had a waitress who we could tell didn't really care.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I went to ThirstyKatieDined on 3/17/2014My husband and I went to Thirsty Lion on St. Patrick's Day. We were impressed that we were able to get in so quickly, but we weren't greeted by our server for quite a while. The food was pretty good. The live band was so loud that my husband and I were shouting across the table to each other. Overall we had an okay time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK - hoping for betterNancyDined on 3/17/2014We arrived at 7:15 for a 7:30 reservation and were told we had to wait and couldn't be seated even though our table was sitting ready and empty. Service was extremely slow, not real friendly and the food was only fair. Disappointing for a group of 6. Luckily we were outside because the inside was so loud we wouldn't have been able to hear each other. However,the "outdoor dining" we read about was in a parking lot and we got to watch cars go by and listen to them idle.Special Features:
- St. Paddy's daynywolfDined on 3/17/2014Went to this restaurant for a St. Patrick's Day celebration and it was great. Live music with fairly large bagpipe group in attendance. Great food and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of good food and fun!FrequentVisitorVIPDined on 3/17/2014We celebrated St. Paddy's Day at The Thirsty Lion Pub and were treated to Bag Pipes and Corned Beef and Cabage! It was a fun way to spend the holiday. When we arrived, the hostess told is she reserved a great spot right next to the band for us. Although it was, indeed, a great table, I told her that we didn't want to be that close because we wanted to be able to talk and enjoy our night. She was very gracious and sat us in the outer bar at a great booth/table and we had a wonderful night! Our olive and cheese flatbread was a great appetizer and the wine was exceptional! Our waitress was a bit slow; but then she had to wait on the entire bag pipe band! But, we were in no hurray and had a wonderful night! Check out The Thirsty Lion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a bite to eatMurrayDined on 3/16/2014Good food and drinks at a moderate price. The decor was a little dark trying to mimick an Irish pub. We went on a whim around Saint Patrick's Day looking for a nice place to eat. Being from CA we were unsure, but we like to try new places. We would recommend The Thirsty Lion to anyone looking for a nice meal! There was a band playing that made the atmosphere even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El StinkoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014this place bites, the service was shotty the food was mediocore
- Nice beer listTracyVIPDined on 3/13/2014Food was pretty decent, we had a variety of appetizers, our favorite was the mac and cheese with corned beef and cabbage (there St. Paddy's day special). But the real starts were the variety of beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in Arizona!am1209Dined on 3/7/2014I love this restaurant. I have been here 6 times and every time the food, drinks, service, and atmosphere has been absolutely superb. This restaurant even beats out several Las Vegas top pubs and restaurants. I recommend making reservations on open table on the weekends, its very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.