Thirsty Lion - Denver
1605 Wynkoop St.
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Thirsty Lion - Denver
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thirstylionpub.com/denver
- Phone: 3036230316
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Jeremy Glas
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Thirsty Lion - Denver
Thirsty Lion Gastropub & Grill combines the traditional values of European and American pubs, creating a gathering place where friends and family can come together to celebrate life, enjoy great food, craft beers, signature cocktails, wines, music and sports.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Thirsty Lion - Denver - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
Thirsty Lion - Denver reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (80)good for groups (66)vibrant bar scene (58)great for lunch (55)hot spot (52)fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (33)scenic view (25)late-night find (20)special occasion (12)kid-friendly (7)romantic (6)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (4)Show More
- A little disappointed ...BreeVIPDined on 9/16/2014I will a little disappointed in that I made a reservation for 6 for 12:30 pm for a lunch, and we were seated at the first table right in front of the entrance. It was SO noisy that we couldn't hear ourselves talking and evidently they had no other tables that could accommodate us (I asked). Also, we were seated right away but our server didn't come to our table for at least 10 minutes to see if we wanted beverages and bring us menus, and the service was very, very slow! Luckily we weren't in a hurry. But the food was great!!! We all had different things and everyone raved about the food.Special Features:
- Good place, terrible serviceHlg1234VIPDined on 9/13/2014The atmosphere and food are great. We, unfortunately, had a poor service experience. Our server was pretty terrible. She came over the second we sat down to ask us if we were ready to order. We had not even picked up the menus. Then she didn't come back for a while. When she did we ordered an appetizer, dinner and drinks at the same time. It took about 15 minutes for them to bring out the drink. Then, the app came out, but they delivered it to the wrong table. Finally, our dinner came out, and it too, was delivered to the wrong table. I will definitely give this place another chance, but this one experience was not very good!Special Features:
- Always gooddowntowndinerVIPDined on 9/12/2014This was our fourth or fifth time and just as great as the first timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/10/2014Thanks to the thirsty lion for helping us celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Everything was very nice. Great food, great service from Austin. Wonderful evening!Special Features:
- Noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014The environment is fun; however, our visit was a lunch meeting and it was way to loud (music) to have a conversation. Not an ideal spot for a casual business lunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roaring good timevaq23finedineDined on 9/6/2014The Thirsty Lion provided great food from an eclectic menu in a fabulous location beside the revitalized Union Station in downtown Denver. The people-watching matched the cuisine, and our servers were clever and attentive. The only downside, for us, was the noise-level. It was difficult to hold a normal conversation. Otherwise, it was a thrilling dining experience.Special Features:
- Thirty Lion-Union StationNativeVIPDined on 9/4/2014Exceptional and attentive and friendly wait service provided by Charlie. Smoked chicken salad was very good and the perfect size for lunch.Special Features:
- Too loudWolfyDined on 9/4/2014I would give the place much higher marks had I not found myself trying to hear my 80+ year old parents, and be heard, over Alice Cooper's "School's Out", and similar hard rock, blasting from the sound system throughout lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thirsty LionMountainFoodiesDined on 8/30/2014The food was good and the beer great as usual. However, the service needs to be improved. My wife's soup was col and her entrée was a soup and salad combo. The server took it back and it took 10 minutes to get warmer soup. This was not a busy night either. the beer lisy is very good, but again service is spotty.Special Features:
- Great Thirsty Lion!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014So fun to have you here in CO. Food is awesome. You hired some outstanding wait staff and the atmosphere is fun and inviting. One of my new Denver favs!!Special Features:
- Average at bestScottVIPDined on 8/24/2014Great space however, food was really not good. Had fish tacos as server said that was the best dish on menu and they were average at best. Service was very slow. Space is great. Food really needs to improve. Go next door to Union Station - lots of great options there.
- Prime spot before a Rockies gameAlexVIPDined on 8/24/2014If you are heading to a Rockies game, this is an excellent spot to visit beforehand. With a robust beer list, prime Union Station location, lively bar scene and decent food, you'll be happy you decided to stop in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thirsty Lion PreSeason GamepreseasongameDined on 8/23/2014It took a while to get our drinks, however, our waitress was very attentive. I thought my Margarita was good but for $8 it was small. I had the jalapeno pepper jack burger and it was very good and priced well. My husband had the enchiladas and they were a little too chipotle style for him, size and price was also good. Our friends had the tuna roll and they liked it but it was rolled too loosely and fell apart while trying to eat it. The ambiance was good. We went to eat and watch the pre season Bronco game. We were able to see the game fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and LivelyhappilydiningVIPDined on 8/21/2014The place was packed, so that says a lot. We had several appetizers including the roasted artichoke, kale salad, wild mushroom flat bread and brussells sprouts. We enjoyed everything! It was well prepared and had great flavor. The only negative comment I have is that the girl who sat us was unfriendly and unfortunately so was our waiter. Apparently, they are not happy working there and it showed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014We truly enjoyed our dinning experience at the Thirsty Lion. Our waiter was wonderful and very informative. We ate outside and so enjoyed watching all that was going on at the fountains right beside our table. My daughter, who was in town from Seattle can't stop taking about this restaurant. Thank you for a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Couldn't hear over the music!fcddDined on 8/17/2014We were sitting outside and still couldn't hear our conversation. Let us enjoy the sounds of the city and the fountains, turn it down!!!!!!Special Features:
- Perfect pre-Rockies game Spot!joviolinDined on 8/16/2014Friends had recommended we eat here prior to attending an evening Rockies game. We were told we HAD to try the Scotch Eggs, which were delicious and definitely lived up to their hype! The burgers were outstanding - a friend and I got a NW and Jalapeno burger and thought they were the best burgers we had ever tasted. We had 10 in our party and sat outside - area was shaded and we could people-watch while we ate. Great service and we finished in plenty of time to walk over to Coors Field. Highly recommended!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoudAppaVIPDined on 8/15/2014We went late night as part of a Union Station tour with friends from out of town. It was so loud we couldn't hear ourselves and our waiter seemed more interested in anything but us. Good spot for 21 year olds, next time I will sit on the patio.Special Features:
- First timer -wasn't disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014Great food, service ambiance. Good for groups with reasonable regular mean prices. HH is just okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everytime has been gooddowntowndinerVIPDined on 8/15/2014This was the fifth or sixth visit and each time we say we will be back. Food was good, manger sat us in a great booth and the service was top notchSpecial Features:
- DinnerAuntieCDined on 8/9/2014First time at Thirsty Lion. Decided to share a pizza and really enjoyed it. Also had salads which were fresh with delicious dressing - tried the apple honey and it was tasty. Beer and wine selection is very good. The bar is impressive. We dined inside but were very impressed with the size of the outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Music reviewFoodieDined on 8/8/2014It was advertized for great music selection & videos. Music could be heard outside at a low level & it was good as advertized, but inside was impossible to hear because of the lack of acoustics to help absorb the crowd noise. Great people watch place..Food very good. We dine based on the 5280 Magazine every Friday night called a food adventure. We have done this for over 6 years & only go to a restaurant once & keep track of our favorites for our friends to share. Denver is loaded with great food spots & we don't want to miss a one... Thanks 5280..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great patiobebedubsDined on 8/4/2014It was really nice to sit outside & watch all the happenings while enjoying our cocktails & dinner. The food was good, but being a gastropub I had high hopes & wasn't really blown away by anything. Beers were good & the moscow mules & blood orange margs were all great.Special Features:
- RamboprincessDined on 8/2/2014I've been here before for lunch and it was great. Wemt this time on a sat night and waited 20 min past my reservation time, the food was fine but not great and we ordered a few bottles of wine that were already corked when they brought them to the table and didnt even have us try it before walking away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menuJulieVIPDined on 7/31/2014Nice food selection and good food although chicken on salads has been very dry the two times I've been here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you don't mind being ignoredfoodieintrainingDined on 7/29/2014We went for our anniversary, and the only positive we had was being sat right when our reservation was. Unfortunately we sat for 25 mins with no one coming to greet us. We ended up leaving since it seemed no one wanted to serve our table or the table next to us. The couple at the table next to us sat for over 30 mins with no server coming over. We did see a manager walking around yet he seemed oblivious that 2 tables in the middle of the room had no server taking care of themSpecial Features:
- Food was okay at bestFoodieDined on 7/27/2014Service and atmosphere have potential but the food was just okay. We ordered a bunch of tapas but nothing was amazing for the amount of money we spent.
- A Challenging Evening ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014The Restaurant was very busy when we arrived. However the waiter informed us the kitchen was running behind as a result of a very busy day. We appreciated the heads up. The wine and drinks came and were fine. All 4 of us enjoyed our dinners. One person of the group was celebrating his birthday, and the wait staff handled it very well by bringing an ice cream dessert for him. Overall I would have no hesitation in returning, as they were on their game !!! The only suggestion I have for the owners is that the music can be lowered in volume, as people were speaking loudly over the music in order to be heard by their friends. If it was lower, people would have lowered their voices as well, and it would not have been so loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bustling & BoldKellUtopianEventsVIPDined on 7/26/2014Everything you would expect from a football pub. Energetic, loud, good food, and drinks. Prices are a bit steep but that is likely due to location more than anything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014we walked out after we waited 30 minutes to just get our drinks- waitress never came back to take our order.
- GeriVIPDined on 7/26/2014Horrible horrible experience ... noise and acoustics were so bad we could NOT have a conversation. Service was the worst ever! We waited so long for the food that my son and daughter in law had to leave because the baby sitter had to leave at 9:30. Would never ever go here again
- Not great when busy.BriarichVIPDined on 7/25/2014This was our 2nd visit. The first was a Monday evening and the food was great. The service was good, so overall first visit was fun and good food. This visit on a Friday evening, however, failed on all levels. The waitress seemed spacey, forgetting half of what we ordered and failed to give us eating utensils. The meal was only fair. We ordered the same appetizer as the first visit (the grilled artichoke) and on this Friday evening the appetizer was cold and did not have the same great flavor as the one on our Monday visit. Our main courses were also just fair. Do not go here on busy nights unless you don't mind mediocre food and service. However, if you like scantily clad waitresses and don't care about the food, go anytime.Special Features:
- outside good- inside noise too loudtmvmpwvDined on 7/24/2014i have been there twice now - and really enjoy the food, the skills of the wait staff, prices, and general ambiance. However, if i were only able to sit inside, this would be a no go! the noise level is beyond energetic - as your survey offers. I call it deafening; impossible to have a conversation without shouting. And, when I go out with friends to have a meal together, I plan to have a conversation! Otherwise, why bother. So, the noise level is contrary to my objectives. In short - I boycott restaurants who specialize in "energetic" noise level. So, as long as I can be outside on the patio, this is a first choice location. In bad weather, I will go elsewhere.Special Features:
- Looking forward to returningccristiDined on 7/21/2014I took clients here once for happy hour. Good drink selection and great appetizers. Went back with clients for lunch, food was exceptional. Can't wait to go back and take others there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Denver gemhawkfoodieDined on 7/18/2014Us ladies were in town from Iowa, and our hotel concierge recommended. We had an amazing experience and plan to return again during our next tripSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING food and serviceSharonVIPDined on 7/18/2014Our server was fabulous and knowledgeable. Great views of the new Union Station fountains. I had the flatbread which was incredible. We loved this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay LionTowerDined on 7/17/2014The Thirsty Lion proved a little bit of a disappointment. The food on the whole was decent, but rarely rose above that. The one exception was the appetizer of the potato cakes, which was exceptional. One burger and steak salad came cooked to order, but one was overdone. We all ate our food, but I don't think any of out party of four is likely to return anytime soon. The bartender also did not know how to make a Tom Collins well. The noise level was a little high for our middle aged ears.Special Features:
- Mediocre placescht99Dined on 7/16/2014I had high hopes for this place, but it was a lackluster experience at best. The good: The atmosphere was nice, appetizers were REALLY tasty (grilled artichoke, ceviche, and sauteed brussel sprouts), and my friend's blood orange margarita was good. The not-so-good: The main course (pene chicken) and wine weren't all that good, especially the wine. It was a red blend that was a featured bottle...probably best for sangria. I've had MUCH better wine for the $. Also, the service was poor. I'm no stickler, BUT the bottle of wine was brought over already open, appetizers were brought without plates or silverware, my girlfriend's food was prepared incorrectly so we had to wait for a second dish, and my water glass was empty most of the time.
- great lunch spotC0eater76Dined on 7/15/2014This is a great new spot for lunch downtown. Especially in the summer months, their patio for outdoor dining is fabulous. Portions are large, so you get your money's worth. Service is a bit slow but we weren't in a rush so it was fine.Special Features:
- Foodie44VIPDined on 7/12/2014I had one of the best Hamburgers and fries in Denver! Creative cocktails as well! Fun place to meet before or after a Rockies baseball game!Special Features: