Thirst Wine Bar & Bistro
0315 Sw Montgomery Suite 340
Portland, OR 97201Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: $30 and under
Thirst Wine Bar & Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thirstwinebar.com/
- Phone: 5032952747
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday & Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm HAPPY HOUR Tuesday - Sunday 3- 6 pm TASTING ROOM: Featuring 18 wines - Open Wednesday - Sunday 1 - 7 pm. Nominal fee refunded with purchase. Staffed with Wine Experts.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Leslie Palmer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Thirst can cater with at least 3 days notice.
- Entertainment: The Esplanade best people watching in the city! We also occasionally feature live music - check website for schedule. regon. Wine COuntry in the City! Free Wine Tasting and Nominal Tasting fee refunded with purchase.
- Special Events: Thirsty Tuesday - $44 for TWO People. From Chef's Choice Menu - Appetizer to Share, Entree for each, Dessert to Share and a bottle of wine! Can't beat that! FREE Wine Tastings: Thursdays 5-8 pm. Thirst sponsors wineries or hosts theme nights (Red Blends, Pinot Battle, Female Wine Makers). See schedule on our website
- Cross Street: SW River Dr.
- Public Transit: Street Car: will bring right down to the waterfront, get off at "RiverPlace". Bus: The 35 will take you from down town to the SW waterfront. Get off at River Pkwy & River Dr (Stop ID: 13180)
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are many public parking spaces in the area. The most reasonable one is beneath The Strand Condominiums. Most are less than $6 after 5 pm
A word from Thirst Wine Bar & Bistro
Focusing on local cuisine, wine and spirits. Thirst is the perfect place to relax and unwind on the Willamette and soak in views of the River Place Marina. All of our rooms feature floor to ceiling windows. And during summer months our patio seats 125. We serve full entrees and smaller plates / appetizers for pairing and sharing. Our menu is made from scratch and usues local ingredients. 90% of our menu is Gluten-free! We change our menu based on the season. We even harvest our own garden on Sauvee Island during the summer. We scour the Pacific NW for new and interesting wines and change our wine menu frequently. We are very selective about what we serve at Thirst and only serve wines that best represent the wonderful wines of the Pacific NW. We have over 30 wines by the glass and 100+ we serve by the bottle. Our private dining rooms are free and can host all kinds of events. Business Meetings, Receptions, Parties, Finners, Wedding-related and family celebrations! Book yours todayContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Thirst Wine Bar & Bistro - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Thirst Wine Bar & Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (22)scenic view (21)notable wine list (12)fit for foodies (9)romantic (8)neighborhood gem (7)special occasion (6)good for groups (4)great for lunch (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014the weather was amazing, great for outdoor dining. Thirst is right on the water and, with the lights shining on the water later in the evening, it was a great atmosphere for a lovely evening. Food was good, service was great and the overall experience was excellence.Special Features:
- Nice Bistro on the riverTonyTDined on 9/6/2014I made a booking to sit outside and they had reserved a table behind some bushes that totally blocked the view. We were not too happy about this and they gave us a better table as soon as one became available. Outside on a wide walkway but this was not too noisy or disturbing. The food was good, tasty and plentiful. Wine list was not extensive but we managed to find something we liked. The manager was friendly and helpful and our waiter treated us well.Special Features:
- One of my Portland favoritesAHangingThreadDined on 8/30/2014Great food. Menu isn't extensive but unique and really delicious. Service is always excellent and on a nice day, eating outside with a view of the river is the place to sit. Fantastic wine selection! I eat here every trip to Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinner with a friendmoejopuppyDined on 8/26/2014The menu is limited but the location and service make up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table with a view!pdxorlisaDined on 8/26/2014Great spot for dinner on a warm evening! The menu is nice with locally sourced ingredients - but not very expansive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantvincentDined on 7/30/2014We were visiting Portland for the first time and we ended up here randomly. We've been living in the US for 4 years now and this is the best place we got to try ever since. And we know what we're talking about since we come from France.Special Features:
- pleasant riverside diningbassmanDined on 7/29/2014Small but very tasty menu, daily special salmon was top notch, lamb burger was especially good, appetizer portion size was big enough to share. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, amazing stafflepco3Dined on 7/25/2014I changed my reservation 3 times in a span of 3 hours right before my reservation from 6 people to 10 to 12. Every time Anna was accommodating. We finally showed up with 8 and Anna didn't blink an eye. She was very gracious. The server was waiting on a million tables, without breaking a sweat. I forget her name but she was just as amazing as Anna. The food and wine were amazing. I had a flight of wine paired with local cheeses. They all were perfect together. I had the special of the day soup, wild mushroom with Brie. Sooo good. In the end, it was a great evening shared with friends from around the globe. Everyone equally enjoyed their evening. Thank you Thirst for making it special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great outdoor dining in the summerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Good wine, food and service. I would recommend that others try Thrist Bar & BistroSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/16/2014We had a great dinner, tailored to our individual appetites and full of wonderful tastes. Best possible view outside. The Charcuterie plate was a real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining by the RiveSanAntonioMarkVIPDined on 7/13/2014We had a wonderful experience at Thirst. Great service, food, and wine. You can't go wrong.Special Features:
- Great for Winefarm2tableDined on 7/12/2014The food menu is small, but the food was good. The wine list is terrific, and I loved being able to try 8 different wines from the region! We sat outside, and watching the Willamette was the perfect ending to a stressful day. I was a little nervous about the service after reading some negative reviews, but it was excellent. I would go back for the wine and the view, but I would opt to have a full meal somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening, but...MitchDined on 6/24/2014Our book club met here on a recent summer evening. Great outdoor seating! It was 7pm. Service was exceptionally slow due to many full tables, but we were a relaxed group. Unfortunately, by the time we were asked for our order, we were also told to "hurry up" because they were moving to their "late night" menu in 5 minutes. At this point, it was only 7:45. We'd barely received our drinks. We were ready to order (since we'd been waiting a while with menus in hand), so we were able to order from regular menu. We received our meals in a timely manner; however, soon enough, the wait staff were stacking chairs and moving empty tables inside the restaurant. We asked our server if they were closing soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a cool spot to sit and enjoy!BigAl60VIPDined on 6/19/2014Found Thirst on Tripadvisor and linked to Open table for reservations. Also found Thirst on Wine Spectator's list. Nice wine list - great choices in flights and by the glass. Snacked on appetizers - all very tasty, but did not try heavier fare - though the selections looked attractive. Outdoor sidewalk area was busy, and the view of the river was great.Special Features:
- Great River side BistrosequimcrabbersDined on 6/6/2014Great service and food at your Bistro. Your selection of wine was wonderful. My husband and I celebrated our 45 th wedding anniversary with you last weekend and enjoyed you fully. Your Ahi tuna was fantastic and the price was very reasonable!!! The riverside view and out door dining romantic! The service was friendly and efficient! We thoroughly enjoyed the full experience! Thank you so much.Special Features:
- Disappointing meal at ThirstFoodieVIPDined on 6/6/2014We arrived promptly at 5:30, seated where we requested. This is still a great happy hour location and happy hour menu but I would recommend moving on to another restaurant for dinner. This evening marked the beginning of big Rose Festival events, very busy weekend - yet at 5:30 pm we were advised the Ceasar salad that came in was bad so it would not be on the menu. The chef can't make salad dressing and buy fresh lettuce? Then we were advised they were out of the scallops, salmon and the pasta - really -- at 5:30 pm on Friday??! I ordered the flat iron steak medium rare. The meat was mostly dry tips and overdone. The menu stated a wine called Linen was from California - we asked again - it was from Washington.Special Features:
- The following 174 reviews are from the Thirst Wine Bar & Bistro reviews archive.
- Favorite SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/23/2014Every time I visit Portland I love to come here. The menu is great, from the baked Brie to the hummus. Then wine flights are fun and the wine list is fantastic. All of the staff is well versed in the wine knowledge and very pleasant. If it's nice outside, it's a great place to sit outside and take in the view. Always a favorite.Special Features:
- My New Favorite RestaurantFoodieDined on 3/30/2014Charming area - Staff outstanding -Have dined twice and have tried the brussel sprout salad, crab dip, scallops, fish, steak, chocolate bread pudding, creme brulee, and caramel salted brownie - ever meal was excellent along with the wine. I highly recommend Thirst to friends and family, our server Diana was very professional and knowledgeable about food and wine and the chef is very creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine - Service OKfoodieNWDined on 3/29/20146 of us went there for dinner. Our reservations were at 7p and we waited a few minutes at the bar to be seated so we ordered a bottle of bubbly . Once seated the waitress did bring us water but didn't come back after our wine was gone to ask us if we wanted additional wine,drinks or even an appetizer. A person in our group had to go up to the bar and order the wine and ask for a list. It also took 50 minutes from the time seated for her to take our food order. From there the food came out fairly quickly with all 3 courses following close together. The brussel sprout salad was excellent as was the chocolate bread pudding. A few also had the scallops and although the taste was ok we thought they were really small. Presentation was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our ExperienceAlluringDined on 3/29/2014We were seated by a window so we could enjoy the view of the waterfront. The server promptly brought water and told us about the specials, which included the Dining Out Month menu items. Artisanal bread was served but without butter. Upon request, we were offered a choice of olive oil and balsamic vinegar or butter. The Brussels sprout salad was perfectly dressed and my friend's request to eliminate the hazelnuts from her salad was honored. My fish was cooked just right although the carrots were a little too sweet (maple syrupy flavored); my friend's steak, which was ordered medium, came well-done. She enjoyed her cheesecake; my crème brulee was unevenly coated and some of the sugar appeared almost burned rather than caramelized.Special Features:
- Will definitely returnDoug1KristinaDined on 3/28/2014We had a tough time finding the restaurant, but we are certainly glad we did. The food was really good. Our server was pleasant, knowledgeable and not intrusive. We will be visiting again when we return to Portland and recommend friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy space, big vibeDelightedDinerDined on 3/27/2014A small bistro-bar with a BIG restaurant vibe. We had the delicious crab dip and a mixed greens salad for starters, along with a basket of bread with olive oil and a dollop of balsamic vinegar---I've never eaten so much bread!! For cocktails we chose a white wine flight which included 4 fantastic sips. It just kept getting better when our entrees arrived---my husband had the steak, cooked to perfection, and I had the scallops which were moist with a nice golden crust on the outside. Dessert is not to be missed if you still have room---I highly recommend the chocolate bread pudding. The presentation was spot on, and our wonderful waitress was attentive without being obtrusive. A very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Happy HourmikeDined on 3/27/2014We had flat iron steak, beet and arugula salad, artichoke dip, hummus, and the day's soup. Unusual that every item of this diverse menu was extraordinarily good. Prices very good. Our companions liked their Dining Month menu of salad, scallops, and cheesecake. Thirst is much more than just a wine bar. We have been to a lot of Portland happy hours, but none better than Thirst.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Experience, Tasty FooddineasaurusrexDined on 3/27/2014I've already gone over this at length on Yelp, but I'll reiterate here: if someone on your waitstaff is going to be so completely blatant when treating other neighboring tables significantly better than they are treating yours (I'm talking, all but ignoring us the whole evening while giving friendly and engaging service to a neighboring table), that's an issue that needs to be addressed. Never been treated so poorly in a restaurant in my life, and not even the very delicious food and waterfront view could redeem the experience. It really just made the terrible service even worse by comparison. Maybe you'll have a better experience than we did if you get a different server, because the food really is quite nice.Special Features:
- Service slow. We sat for almostOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/23/2014Service slow. We sat for almost 20 minutes without seeing even a glass of waterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The dish I had was halibutMaryDined on 3/22/2014The dish I had was halibut with caper and tomatoes on carrot medallions. In my opinion, the sweetness of the carrots did not go well with the savory fish. Just a poor combo. Tables rather close together. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun PlaceburtDined on 3/22/2014I took my daughter and her fiancee there for an early dinner after we walked along the riverside. We each had the three courses for $29. We liked everything. The brussels sprouts with bacon & hazelnuts was outstanding. Unfortunately they didn't have the homemade pasta that one of us wanted, but he was quite happy with the scallops, as I was. Delightful presentation, and scallops just right. We each had a different dessert which we rated 5 stars. It was a little hectic as we got there just at the end of happy hour, but the vibe was good. It might have been nice if the waitress had checked on us during the second course, but she was busy. This was a good choice of a restaurant that none of had tried before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent evening!ChrisHDined on 3/21/2014Our first visit to Thirst, this past Friday evening, will be the first of many. The service was friendly, attentive and timely. The Warm Brussels Sprout salad was very delicious. My scallops were flavorful and tender. The restaurant sits on the water front and has a lovely view. It was a short couple of blocks walk from our hotel which made it convenient to get to. We really enjoyed it and can't wait to go back across the river and enjoy it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinner!Bride2BDined on 3/20/2014My fiancé and I came here to try out their food for the Portland dining month. The service was super friendly and everything I ate was absolutely delicious (Brussels sprouts salad, seared scallops, and chocolate bread pudding)! Unfortunately my fiancé wasn't too crazy about what he ate other than the sides on his steak entree. He also had the crab dip but thought there wasn't enough crab and he also felt that the creme brûlée was a little burned. Overall, I'd say we had a good experience and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Find!rambagirlDined on 3/20/2014All I can say is this place is PERFECT (in every way). I booked my reservation literally 15 minutes prior to arriving via OpenTable. My entire experience from reservation through each of 3 courses was flawless. Very impressive drink list! I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Wine ListandrewjhDined on 3/14/2014Great wine list and happy hour options. Knowledgable staff and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely view of the Willamette RiverPDXJazzDined on 3/11/2014We were lucky to get a window seat with a lovely view of the river and activities outdoors. The dinner service was very helpful and accomodating, but getting our food took longer than usual and my entree was served luke warm. The food tasted very good, so I am going to blame the slowness on a large dinner party, but it seems as though they should have planned for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Portland dining month mealCRenee88Dined on 3/11/2014tables were turned so only one couple could see outside when you could easily turn the table and all the guests could enjoy it. They were out of quite a few items on the dining month menu. The whole experience took three hours. Very unnecessary. Our server, who was on his third day and obviously needed more training, tried to accommodate, promised he would save a dessert and then didn't. Our other dessert was way overcooked. My one mixed drink, a baileys and coffee (very simple) was awful. Our server was constantly apologizing and not once had a manager or owner come over and talk to us. Left disappointed in our choice of restaurant for Portland dining month. I wouldn't recommend especially if a special occasion or in a hurry.Special Features:
- Sunday Night QuietbeentheredonethatDined on 3/9/2014Most enjoyable evening. Took advantage of the special March Dining Menu. Great value! They also have wine flights and spirit flights for added fun. Everyone enjoyed the food. The service was attentive! Everyone in our party said they'd return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining Month gem!DiningMonthGuestDined on 3/9/2014Went for Portland Dining Month with friends and tried nearly everything on the special menu. Excellent food, kind staff and relaxed atmosphere. Easily adding this place to our list of favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked it very muchKWRWDined on 3/8/2014We went for an early dinner during Portland Dining Month (March). I had the green salad with hazelnuts, cod over sliced carrots and creme brulee for my 3 courses. My husband had crab dip, scallops and chocalate bread pudding. Everything was very good although I didn't think the cod was anything special. I would try something differnt next time. The crab dip was more like a soup. The crab taste really came through. Hubby loved his scallops and said htye were very tender. Our service was great and attentive. VIews are of the boat harbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They say the key to the cityVoicerDined on 3/7/2014They say the key to the city in Portland is a fork. Restaurants like Thirst are what make it so. They say the Crab Dip is a must. 'They' are right. The brussel sprouts IMO, would be right behind, but then those were the only two appetizers we tried. We had the catch of the day and the flat iron steak, both were excellent. Other dishes that I was eying at other tables looked equally delicious. And the fact they have wine 'flights', is icing on the cake. Or maybe it was the view that was the icing on the cake. Either way, we'll be back to Thirst. And if you like what makes Portland, 'Portland', you should too!Special Features:
- Came here for Portland diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/2/2014Came here for Portland dining month and absolutely loved everything we ate!Special Features:
- Good Food and ServiceJanetDined on 2/16/2014We ate at Thirst late on a Sunday evening when it was dark and rainy outside. Inside Thirst it was warm and inviting. We had a delicious dinner, great drinks and a romantic atmosphere. It wasn't very busy so we had the full attention of our waitress who was very friendly and attentive. Can't wait to eat there again when the weather is better and we can enjoy the lovely views.Special Features:
- Excellent staff and wine!ocptmycptDined on 2/14/2014Excellent restaurant. The staff was very friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable about wine, pairings, and dietary restrictions. The wine was fantastic, as was the view and the ambiance. The food was very good as well, though the desserts were a bit heavy and sweet for me. Overall a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.