9 West Hubbard Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theorychicago.com/
- Phone: 3126440004x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Blake Macdonald
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Formore information about our food catering options - please visit http://www.theorychicago.com/parties.html
- Private Party Contact: Holly 3126440004x
- Entertainment: Live Music. Dj's on Weekends.
A word from Theory Chicago
Our goal is to make Theory your home away from home. Theory is a cozy, upscale sports lounge with an emphasis on comfort, good food, and great service. A sports enthusiast's dream, Theory has over 20 plasma TVs to catch your favorite team, while you relax in one of our over-sized dark leather booths, or in our home theater-style private room. Enjoy our menu with a focus on American comfort food with Mexican and Southern BBQ influences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Theory Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (14)neighborhood gem (13)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (13)fit for foodies (11)great for lunch (10)great for outdoor dining (9)late-night find (9)special occasion (8)scenic view (8)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (6)romantic (1)Show More
- Awesome brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014Food was delicious, unique menu items (& spicy), and the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome.Special Features:
- Iowa GameChiHawkDined on 9/6/2014Great place to watch an Iowa Hawkeye sporting event, specifically a football game! Atmosphere is exciting and the walking taco reminds me of Iowa City's Pedmall. Now where's the Big A** Turkey Leg!?!?! Just kidding :) I would definitely recommend this place. The owner comes around and makes sure everyone is having a good time and is being treated well by wait-staff.Special Features:
- Awesome spot!VistorfromCaliDined on 8/31/2014We held our fantasy football draft here. They provided us wifi passwords and power strips for our laptops ahead of time. Our waitress provided great service and checked in on us frequently. The owner of Theory came by a couple of times to see how we were doing and to ask if there was anything we needed. We ended up chatting with him for a bit and he was a super cool guy. I strongly recommend the place for food and drink. Next time we are in Chicago I will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Funvm1220Dined on 8/17/2014We had an overall terrific time. Food was delicious, Michelle our Bartender was fun and engaging and Joel the managing partner was welcoming and wanted to make sure that everything was to our liking !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatHawk15Dined on 8/1/2014Joel is the best. He makes every visit special and truly cares about his customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So funAnnasaurusRexDined on 7/26/2014Joel was so welcoming! The food was AMAZING. This drinks were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to goWendyDined on 7/25/2014Theory always has really good food. It's not someplace to go if you want to have a quiet intimate conversation, way too loud in both crowd noise and music. But if you don't mind shouting a little to be heard, it's worth it. Their BBQ brisket sandwich is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent lunch spotesharpeVIPDined on 7/9/2014The food was nothing special, but it was good for what we needed. There were I ptions that worked for everyone in our party of five. The service left a lot to be desired. At one point we had to grab the water pitcher and refill our own glasses, which was off putting. They had been empty for close to 10 minutes with no sign of a server. They got us in and out quickly, which we needed, but it wasn't a stellar experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun and exciting - ultimate niceGmonDined on 7/1/2014this place is our favorite to meet up for lunch with friends and work colleagues! We go a few times a month and they're always the best staff and the food is great! We had a table waiting for us for the USA soccer match 2 hours before the match. We could get there plenty early and relax before the main crowd came in. We love this place and so will you!Special Features:
- The following 55 reviews are from the Theory Chicago reviews archive.
- great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014Had another great experience at Theory. I have never been disappointed when I come here. I recommend it to all my friends. Its almost my go to place to eat.Special Features:
- Breakfast Nachos were DELISH!HideepkDined on 5/17/2014Came here for brunch and ordered the breakfast nachos, they were awesome! They are in single chips so don't expect a platter of chips, rather a few per person or a plate for one person for a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we hoped fortravelupDined on 5/10/2014The restaurant is in a great location just a few blocks of Michigan Ave. Considering the reviews, we expected a really hip place with good food. We found instead a dirty bar that served basic bar food. The music is very loud and primarily played rap music. Totally not what we expected from the reviews. We also had used Open Table and there was only reservations available for 5:30pm. We thought it must be a busy place. Well - by 6:30 there were some tables filled. Open Table gave a bad expectation for a busy place by not having any open reservations for any other time that 5:30. Really disappointing. We totally made up for the dinner by going to the Roof at the top of the Wit just a walk away and had amazing atmosphere and drinks.Special Features:
- Great Dinner and gameTrev086VIPDined on 4/25/2014I came with 4 people on a day the Hawks and Bulls were playing. They held the table, and the service was exceptional. The place was packed, and that did not stop our waitress from being incredibly attentive, filling water, making sure drinks were covered and checking in to make sure the meal was good. All four of us thought the food was great. I will be back, and for the level of service we received for such a busy night, I was certainly impressed.Special Features:
- Great!jljtradeDined on 4/20/2014Reserved table was ready. Mgr and waitress were very attentive and efficiient! Food was great too. I will def be going backSpecial Features:
- A wonderful surprise and new find!EatWellDined on 3/30/2014We visited Theory for brunch before a Goodman matinee. The NCAA basketball games were just starting and the Shamrock Shuffle had just finished. The place was hopping. All three of us LOVED the expansive selection of items on the menu and the food. Yes, it was noisy, but it was noisy from excitement and friendship. The management and server checked on us frequently but not overly so. We all felt very well taken care of. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- theoryElizaDined on 3/17/2014Great service. Welcoming atmosphere. Great food and specials. Would definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always!LindseyDined on 3/1/2014Every time I go to Theory, the experience is stellar. Bring greeted by the owner each time just solidifies the fact that he appreciates the customers and the business. The staff is friendly, the food is good and the atmosphere is always welcoming and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab Food, Service Needs ImprovementMunchkinDined on 2/20/2014We were a group of five (5) and it took almost 1/2 hour after we placed our order to receive our food. Although the server was very pleasant, we were thinking that maybe our server was new to the job. She came to table 3 different times to ask questions about allergies and our orders AFTER she had put the order in. Overall, management was very attentive and I will be going back. Oh yeah...the eats are rather innovative and SCRUMPTIOUS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This bar is great for watchingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/12/2014This bar is great for watching games at. There are TVs everywhere and they're very willing to change channels so that everyone can watch the game they want to see. They food is good for bar food. It's a little smaller so it's kind of cozy. I definitely recommend Theory if you have a game you want to watch or if it's just a big game day in general.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time going there wasDanielDined on 1/11/2014First time going there was for the colts/ pats game... Awesome time awesome bar. Going back again FOR SURESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not for familiesmetro23Dined on 12/21/2013this is more of a bar than a restaurant and the loud explicit hip hop music makes for an uncomfortable meal when kids are present. the staff was friendly & the food was tasty. they also advertised a gluten-free menu which was just supposedly "GF" options off the regular menu. do NOT come here if your gluten allergy is severe.Special Features:
- Perfect nightHeatherDined on 12/14/2013I highly recommend Theory to anyone in the Chicago area. The staff is friendly and very welcoming. Every time we visit we have a great visit and the food is wonderful. Theory is obviously owned by an individual that cares very strongly about his staff and customers. Thank you!! We will always visit Theory when we are in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for group brunchJillJVIPDined on 12/14/2013This was the perfect spot for brunch for 8 adults + 1 three year old! I will say, not sure our experience was totally representative of a typical Saturday brunch there, because this was my first time at Theory. There were no notable games on that day and it was a snowy morning, so we had the place almost entirely to ourselves. But regardless of what the environment is usually like, I can say for sure that the food was great and the service was excellent. I would definitely go back. Our server took good care of us and the owner stopped by a few times to make sure we were comfortable and had everything we needed. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hawks GameHawksfanDined on 11/29/2013Excellent spot to watch the Hawkeyes! Great staff and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I continue to come back hereEddieDDined on 11/29/2013I continue to come back here because the owner Joel is a really cool guy whom cares about his patrons and employees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good bar for more advanced palette.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013Food and swrvice was good but we weren't expecting a bar based on open table description. We weren't in the mood for a bar scene but ended up having a great time anyway. Food was great. We would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very welcoming atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013Very welcoming atmosphere. We were there to watch the Iowa Hawkeyes play. We actually felt like we could have been celebrating in Iowa City! Loved it! Both service and food were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turn the rap music down- games on!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/29/2013Very loud (rap) music for a sports bar, especially considering both the bulls AND hawks were playing. Otherwise, wonderful.
- We LOVE theory! The staffOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/27/2013We LOVE theory! The staff is great, the food is great :)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere but the foodgrandriverDined on 10/5/2013Great atmosphere but the food was not very good. Had the fish taco's and they were very poor. Taco shells were falling apart when you tried to pick them up and no flavor in the fish. Beer and drinks were excellent. Management was very good, place was packed for the OSU and Northwestern game.Special Features:
- Food was wonderful - goodKostDined on 10/5/2013Food was wonderful - good drink specials - owner was attentive and truly wanted you to have an enjoyable dining experience. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Barfoodie1VIPDined on 10/4/2013I had made reservations based on an online menu posted via open table. Open table did not post that this was a bar - complete with a bouncer at the door carding everyone. The food took forever, my order was wrong I had ordered a salad and got a sandwich. 2 people in my party had long delays (on top of our overall long delay) in getting food. The server was great and kept apologizing. I was disappointed both in atmosphere and in food.Special Features:
- Good food and service!luv2dineVIPDined on 9/20/2013Great food and good service! We will definitely back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went to Theory for a birthdayLanacateDined on 9/11/2013I went to Theory for a birthday lunch with my family. Not only was the food outstanding but everyone on the staff was attentive and friendly. The cocktails were reasonably priced and delicious along with the ribs which I ordered. I know I will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WingsPhifDined on 9/11/2013Went there specifically for the wings. They did NOT disappoint!Special Features:
- On IowaLindseyDined on 9/7/2013Friends and I went to Theory for the Iowa game this past weekend. We had such a blast. From the decorations to the overall positive climate of the place, we will be going back for many games to come! The owner, Joel, circulated the bar the entire game checking on tables and introducing himself which truly made our presence feel appreciated. Our server Deanna was friendly, on top of our needs and cheered on Iowa with us all. We are looking forward to the rest of the football season at Theory!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Northern" HospitalitySouthernVisitorsDined on 8/30/2013Being from out of town and knowing that getting a table Friday night in Chicago for 10 people would be near impossible, a friend recommended Theory; and, I could not have been more pleased. Joel and his staff went out of their way to welcome us and ensure a great evening. As I got off the plane, I even received a voice mail from him to see if we had any questions or additional requests (funny, because I had to up the number to 11). When we got there, accommodations we perfect for our group, which included adults, teens and an 8 yo. The food was superb. Service was excellent. (My travel companions even asked if I knew Joel because of his and his staff's friendliness and attention) Overall, a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, friends and laughsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2013I actually visited Theory as a suggestion of a friend. I was trying to find a place where an old supervisor and I could go that was laid and not going to hurt the pockets. I took my friend's recommendation and a had a good time. So much of a good time that I arrived at 6p, but didn't leave until 12:30a.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick Sunday lunch at a bar -- meh.sshapirVIPDined on 8/18/2013Theory is one of those bars on Hubbard that is probably a hot spot in the evenings (not my scene), and it tries to have a nice menu for the Sunday gang. Waffles are a good item, but one would hope for real maple syrup. Eggs were over-cooked and slightly browned. Mediterranean salad was largely yellow peppers with a few cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices tossed in. Not impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saved by the 90s BrunchErshanDined on 8/18/2013A group of us were looking for a fun brunch on Sunday after a fun, but tame, weekend in Chicago. Theory advertised a 90s themed brunch. Theme was great. Saved by the Bell and Fresh Prince on TV and 90s music playing (we ended up asking 'Who sang this' a lot). Menu was mostly all a la carte. Pick a waffle, a meat, and a butter. Then eggs and other sides could be added. Concept was great. Execution was ok. Service was great, but we were the only table at 10 a.m. Food was fair and was noticeably slow. They provided two rounds of free donuts, which was nice. Was hoping for more, but waffles were pretty basic and fried chicken side was good. I think the concept is there, just need to experiment with a few things. On Iowa & Go Hawks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.