Thea Mediterranean Cuisine
3090 Olsen Drive
San Jose, CA 95128Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Thea Mediterranean Cuisine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thearestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4082601444
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily at 11:30am Lunch 7 days a week): 11:30am - 2:30pm Winter Hours: Dinner Sunday thru Wednesday 2:30 pm to 9:30 pm, Thursday 2:30 pm to 10:30 pm, Friday & Saturday 2:30 pm to 11:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Turkish, Greek
- Executive Chef: Alex Padilla
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Thea offers traditional dips and spreads with pita bread or flatbread; Greek salads, moussaka, and various souvlaki dishes.
- Private Party Facilities: Thea can serve any size group from an intimate party of 2 to groups of 100 and more. We offer events ranging from a sit down dinner to a cocktail style reception with passed appetizers. Thea also has a semi-private outdoor area.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 4082601444
- Entertainment: Live Belly Dancing Friday and Saturday evenings. Happy Hour and Weekend Brunch starting this May! See website for details and schedules.
A word from Thea Mediterranean Cuisine
The newest addition to Santana Row, Thea is a celebration of Mediterranean cuisine with highlights from Greece & Turkey. An expansive bar & lounge features creative vodka infusions & a selection of Mediterranean & California wines. Authentic Greek art, a 20-foot olive tree & a stylish contemporary setting complete the experience. See Our Reviews: *"Fantastic, interesting food crafted by a master executive chef, superior service provided by an attentive staff & the most spectacular surroundings possible." * - The Wave Magazine (http://www.thewavemag.com/printarticle.php?articleid=25383) *"Dramatic and stylish from the front door."* - Sheila Himmel, The Mercury News (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/columnists/sheila_himmel/12099483.htm) - The Metro Newspaper (http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/06.29.05/dining-0526.html)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thea Mediterranean Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (27)great for outdoor dining (23)great for lunch (17)special occasion (16)fit for foodies (16)neighborhood gem (7)romantic (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- PerfectionElenadDined on 10/14/2014I took a friend from Palo Alto to Thea in San Jose, and she loved the ambience, high ceilings, lovely blue glass accents, olive tree, side walk tables. The waiter was wonderful and helped us order a delightful combination of flambed lamb meatballs with brandy and fresh lemon sauce (divine) and a beautifully presented tasting menu. Palo Alto eat your heart out!Special Features:
- Why I love Greek foodkwoodsVIPDined on 10/12/2014We had delicious vegetables and various types of meat with our dinner. Everything tasted fantastic and the wait staff was very attentive. We sat outside and enjoyed the warm evening. Our group doubled in size, from 3-6, and the staff reacted in a friendly and accommodating manner.Special Features:
- Business Lunch SpotCoffeeGuyDined on 9/22/2014Good location for a lunch meeting, we had extra space at the table and the wait staff was very accomodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!ColeeVIPDined on 9/20/2014This place is amazing! Everything on the menu is delicious. I could eat this everyday! Service is spectacular. Very Friendly StaffSpecial Features:
- Lovely GNO experienceGNOatTheaDined on 9/19/2014Was @Thea for Girls Night Out - and had really lovely experience. The food, drinks, ambiance , service and belly dance was awesome. The tree inside the restaurant makes it so romantic.Special Features:
- Always a good idea!Coco2dineDined on 9/5/2014Had a great lunch with friend. Came early so it was quiet and relaxing. The only thing to add as a negative for that day was that it took for ever to get my bill and I finally opted to go to the front desk with my payment, but I have to say this is the first time it happened. St8ill will go back, it's a great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodRonMDined on 9/2/2014It's more on the side of healthy, with vegetables, cheese and oils throughout the menu. And a bit different in terms of what you would typically come across. Check it out.Special Features:
- Food good, service erraticharpoVIPDined on 8/12/2014The dishes we ordered were very good. Service started out prompt and attentive, but after the starter we waited about 20 min for our entrees, and almost as long for ordering and receiving dessert.Special Features:
- Very Poory ManagedimasoldmanDined on 8/12/2014I made reservations for a Tuesday night. There was a company party on the patio and the main dining room was about 50% full. I went to the restroom and found the seat missing on the only toilet in the mens room. I mentioned to the hostess that I found it truly amazing that a manager would open his establishment without a toilet seat in the mens room. Fast forward an hour and we are still waiting for our food. The server claims that the big party on the patio had consumed the chef's time and apologized for the delay. The finals result was incorrect orders, cold scallops that were under cooked and a table full of side dishes as an "apology" for the long wait time. The manager never moved from his seat at the bar!
- JohnDined on 8/2/2014They were understaffed. Food took too long to serve, the food serve tasted fine but it was overpriced and they need to hire more servers.
- Always fantasticMariedeniseDined on 7/24/2014One of my favorite Bay Area restaurants... Delicious fresh and unique food, and wonderful cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a very nice timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014A group of colleagues from work went to dinner with several other colleagues from out of town. We sat outside which was very pleasant. The staff was timely, courteous and not pushy (considering two of our group showed up 30 minutes late) Everyone liked their meals and the appetizers where a hit. Thanks to the staff for allowing us to enjoy our selves and their restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saganaki and prawnsJulieYVIPDined on 7/23/2014You can't get saganaki many places...love it...they do a good job here. Just finish it before it cools or the lemon gets a bit bitter. Prawns over zucchini cake, a favorite, but the zucchini cake (like hash brown cake but softer) was not as good as I remember from past visits. I would go back any way, and probably order the prawn dish again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Good - but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014The food and service was good. Tables are close to each other so it was very noisy - we were almost part of the conversations on either side of the tables. Wife hated it (noise and adjacent table conversations) as we had gone for a peaceful romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Not a baf placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014It is good for groups or family who want to goto an upscale place like Santan Row. Since other places at Santana Row were loud we picked this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediterrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014This place gets better every time we go, I highly recommend it. Sophisticated, high quality menu ... the kind of food you can't cook at home. Worth every penny!Special Features:
- The following 738 reviews are from the Thea Mediterranean Cuisine reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2014The food was mediocre and very expensive. I will not go back or recommend this to anyone.
- Expensive ...and Mustard on Lamb?JBCNDined on 5/17/2014While the *prices* at Thea are as high as 5-star Mediterranean eateries such as Evvia in Palo Alto and Kokkari San Francisco, the food is about half as good. You are definitely paying a significant upcharge for the Santana Row location. The biggest offense to me was the chef at Thea put French's Mustard on the rack of lamb. This is the oddest thing I have seen at an upscale restaurant. It is an affront to Greek cooking and just plain goofy. Sorry, but it made at $28 meal taste like a $2 hot dog. The Moussaka was very good, but the portion for the price was miniscule. If entree prices were in the $18-20 range I would return. But for the high prices of the food, this is a one and done.
- eatoutfunDined on 5/16/2014Thea is one of my favorite restaurants. Their lamb shanks are really good for dinner as are their salads for lunch.Special Features:
- Slow service, small portionsWalterVIPDined on 5/11/2014Portions are very small even for kids that have modest appetites. Entrees took a while to prepare even though the place couldn't have been more than 25% full. Lots of service people just standing around. No wonder it was so easy to get reservations last minute for prime dinner time on Mother's Day.
- did not report my reservation to OTMargsDined on 5/10/2014I was disappointed that the restaurant did not report to open table that i did honor my reservation. Now open table has me labeled as a dead beat. Otherwise, the food was good.Special Features:
- Great but still too loudCoco2dineDined on 5/2/2014Wonderful restaurant, love the decor, the ambiance, service is great and everyone friendly, I have not never been disappointed by the food, my favorite for example "Garrides" delicious....BUT..the noise level for me is still a problem even though we sat at the back against the wall, then they added the music and this was too much. My guess if you can, eat earlier when the crowd has not yet arrived or eat outside on the patio ! I still will return though...Special Features:
- A Gem in Santana Row!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/30/2014We dined at Thea with a group of 15 and I must say the food, staff and atmosphere was superb! Because it was such a beautiful evening we dined outside and our waiter was so attentive to our entire group and even helped with dish recommendations. Drinks and dinner was beyond delicious and I can't wait to go back for date night with my hubby! Whether u come in a group or on a date, sit inside or out on the patio, you will not be disappointed.....this place lives up to the hype! Do yourself a favor and try this GEM of a restaurant in Santana Row.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great!akodaVIPDined on 4/24/2014I have not been to Thea's for a while but the food was good and it was early enough in the evening for it to be reasonably quiet.Special Features:
- easter brunchjpmbearDined on 4/20/2014Easter Brunch with my family was very enjoyable. The lunch menu is somewhat limited but has something for everyone. A couple of the dishes had a little to much "heat" for mediterranean cuisine but not bad. I recall the food being a little more refined a couple of years ago. All in all a good experience. The service was friendly and attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good vibesElenadDined on 3/18/2014We went to Thea for dinner before seeing a show at Santana Row. Good service, lovely atmosphere, and creative dishes. Updated Middle East cuisine with California fresh produce. Fun cocktails. We were there on a Tuesday night when Santana Row is not so crowded. I recommend Tuesdays, -- by Friday parking is impossible, and you can't even walk down the crowded sidewalks...Thea is great for a pre-movie dinner mid week. It was quiet and we could talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014Very happy with the service and courtesy Manager and the server had. We are vegetarian - and we did not even complain for anything but one of the dishes we had ordered was not finished and the server asked me - if we did not like it.... And to our surprise - they had removed that dish from our bill. When I asked for the reason for removal, I was told if I don't like it, then I should not be charged for it - something way ABOVE AND BEYOND for the service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nearly Perfect - One GlitchSharkieDCatDined on 2/17/2014Two of us went here as a birthday celebration on a Monday night. The restaurant was not busy and we were seated right away. The waiter was very attentive without being intrusive. We ordered the Kimali flatbread and a Greek Goddess salad and split them. For mains, we ordered lamb shank and filet mignon, both cooked medium rare. The Kimali was delicsious, as was the salad. The lamb was cooked and seasoned perfectly. The only disappointment was the filet. It arrived well done (no pink inside) and lukewarm. Our waiter apologized and ordered a replacement. When it arrived, it was clear it had been rushed: seared on the outside, but nearly raw in the middle. We will return to Thea, but we won't order the filet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique look, in a large spaceJeffTVIPDined on 2/17/2014Very nice looking place once inside, though parking and traffic in this area was a bit tough. The food was average and pricey for what we had. The service was very good, with one of their servers who was on her lunch, helping out when they had an early dinner rush.Special Features:
- Hostess was terrible, otherwise OKfamilydinersDined on 2/15/2014Hostess, Hayley, was terrible and we almost walked out of our reservation. Despite the good food and atmosphere, we are not sure about returning. We have been dinning in this place for many years and this is the 1st time having unpleasant experience. The hostess seated us near the entrance, so we politely asked to have another table. Hostess refused to get us another tables, said things like: some were for "table-for-4," all tables were assigned/reserved, she couldn't re-assign (all kind of excuses). Took us "back & forth" for couple minutes in order to get the table we preferred. Later we saw that she seated a couple at the table which she claimed was for 4. The place was no more than 75% occupied. So much for "all tables were reserved."Special Features:
- Valentine Special?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I had been wanting to take my boyfriend to this restaurant for 4 years and I jumped at the opportunity when he told me I could pick where we would have our Valentine's dinner, thinking he would love it. I have to admit I was embarrassed by his reaction. He told me he hated it more than another restaurant that I am aware that he intensely dislikes, so that spoke volumes to me. He ordered their Valentine's Day special of lobster and filet mignon and it was seriously inedible.The lobster was so over-cooked that we couldn't cut it with the knife and fork provided, so it was left on the plate. The filet was cooked well, but had little to no flavor. For $38 I expected perfection. At this point, it's safe to say we will never be returning.
- Ridiculous lemonade pricesClareandJimDined on 2/14/2014We have been to Thea a few times and the service is always good, and te food usually the same. Service was as goof as ever but the gyro one of us had was over cooked and over flavored. Watch out for the virgin drinks - we paid $10 for basil lemonade - each - which is daylight robbery !! Not planning to go back, unfortunately.Special Features:
- Good for team /group dinnerLynandfriendsDined on 2/12/2014Had a team dinner here. Great for mixed meat eaters & Vegetarian team members. Tasty food - service was friendly and efficient. mixed tapas plates were a winner.Special Features:
- I am sorry to say, but theronkarrVIPDined on 2/12/2014I am sorry to say, but the food was warm and not to our standing, I would not recommend this place
- Best Lamb Shank in San Jose!SmitaDined on 2/8/2014The menu had many options. The Sangria Pitcher was good but the Lamb Shank was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable and tastyDrSJDined on 2/6/2014Four of us met for a business dinner at Thea, all looking forward to good Greek food, and Thea delivered. Among the appetizers, the saganaki (flaming cheese) and the bacon-wrapped dates, with lingering heat perhaps from the cheese, were standouts. Presentation was elegant, and the salad accompanying my grilled prawns atop a large zucchini pancake was a fine counterpoint of crunch to the silken smooth zucchini cake. We could converse about business easily enough at table, never wanting for water or clearing of finished plates due to the professional wait staff. We lingered over coffee and tea at meal's end without feeling rushed. With free convenient parking at Santana Row, Thea provides a great alternative to downtown San Jose options.Special Features:
- Needs a new chefanonDined on 1/31/2014I sent my entree back twice. The fish was mushy, like whipped potatoes. The waitress suggested that I order something else. I asked for lamb medium rare. The lamb was undercooked and so tough that I couldn't cut it. The vegetables were unremarkable, like something you'd see in a much less expensive place. Very disappointing.
- I have been to this restaurantMac54VIPDined on 1/31/2014I have been to this restaurant many times. This time was a below par. The sea bass special was dry and mushy inside instead of moist and flaky. The bread was dry and we had to ask for another portion which wasn't as good as on previous visits. Hopefully, it was just an off night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food at an Amazing PriceworkerbeeDined on 1/30/2014I would highly recommend the lamb sliders! They were seasoned to perfection and cooked to order. Could be shared as an appetizer or is a perfect serving for a hearty lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummmoooo says it all. Wedevinedine1VIPDined on 12/30/2013Yummmoooo says it all. We ordered a variety of appetizers and a delicious Chardonnay after a movie. Will do this again!Special Features: