The Woodsman Tavern
4537 SE Division St
Portland, OR 97206Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Woodsman Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://woodsmantavern.com/
- Phone: 9713738264x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm
Oyster Hour daily 5:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Gregory
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Cross Street: 46th Avenue
- Public Transit: Portland Trimet bus line #4 Division/Fessenden stops at 45th and SE Division (stop ID 1465).
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is on-street or in the parking lot located on the corner of SE Division Street and 45th Avenue next to Stumptown Coffee.
A word from The Woodsman Tavern
The Woodsman Tavern is a neighborhood gathering place for good food, good drinks and good company. Located on upper Division Street in Southeast Portland, the restaurant serves American food with classic European influences and features a raw bar, extensive beer and cocktail offerings and a European-influenced wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Woodsman Tavern - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
The Woodsman Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (95)neighborhood gem (74)special occasion (62)hot spot (38)vibrant bar scene (32)notable wine list (30)romantic (30)good for groups (27)great for brunch (23)great for outdoor dining (7)late-night find (7)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- ENJOYED ITDeweyDined on 8/31/2014Great Oyster selection, food was very good, service great. Nice job with pairings. Enjoyed the classic country music. While not loud, the acoustics of the place makes conversation sometimes difficult. Little pricey, but will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why all the fuss?OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/30/2014Much has been written about this restaurant, and it continues to get rave reviews (Portland Monthly just rated it one of 3 best places for fried chicken). My experience, however, was disappointing. The appetizers were very good, but entrees average at best. Three of us had the Half chicken special for dinner; all were overcooked and dry. Skip the stuffed tomato, too. Nice wine list. The biggest issue was the noise level. There were 6 of us at the table, and you could not hear one end to the other. It was not possible for the table to have a conversation without all speaking loudly, which apparently is what everyone else in the place had to do as well. Our table was also under a speaker playing music that, eventually, was turned down.Special Features:
- Great food and cocktailsGregPDXDined on 8/27/2014The service here is fantastic! The food is adventuresome. The ham plate is especially lovely. And the true mixologist cocktails are wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food service attentiveDoctorDined on 8/25/2014IMO its very Overpriced.Quality was very good .I am all for paying for that but for the selection and the quantity,its too much money when very comparative places are available for less. Its a millennium gen place. I do not think I will return. $15 for a 'shot' of wine is ridiculous when an offered taster sample was actually the same quantity.Impressive non the less but so much is out there in Portland. Its trendy, comfortable and neighborhood chic. worth it possibly for some and as I said, I am no cheapskate. Don't misunderstand me....I applaud the people for their effort. The Restaurant biz is the toughest I can tell you from experience.Special Features:
- Creative menu. Bit too retro?diner1361Dined on 8/22/2014The food was very good. The staff was attentive and service prompt. There was however a lot of the menu I would not bother with. It seemed to be retro with a contemporary twist. The trout dinner was Very good. Breaded pork cutlets like you have never had or imagined. It was Great. But I've had much better pork dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014a bit loud and slow service at first due to "oyster hour" but overall, the service was friendly and food great, a lively setting.Special Features:
- Really AmazingEater10000VIPDined on 8/17/2014We had come for dinner a couple of times, so we decided to try brunch. Wow! We started with the smoked mussels, which are really, really addictive. We had some bloody marys before the main course, which had just about the right level of spice. For entrees, we had the eggs benedict, a couple of biscuits and the pancakes. EVERYTHING was delicious! The service was probably the best we have had at a brunch. Woodsman is a first class experience at any time of day. We will return for the biscuit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- finally and amazinggrandobservationsDined on 8/13/2014It has been this long to go to the Woodsman, I kept hearing all about the shellfish, which I can't consume, so i dragged my feet, what no one was mentioning was the HAM, the grilled peaches, and the amazing steak. I want to eat there monthly if possible nowSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014Fantastic Food! Great Variety, Amazing Industrial (Think Restoration Hardware) Decor. The space is very noisy however and this was a distraction as conversations were difficult without raised voices. If this could be remedied via some improved acoustical additions I would be a regular. As it stands I would only meet with loud friends and not clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Woodsman is a gemnwfoodieDined on 8/12/2014I've been to the Woodsman more than a couple dozen times since it's opened and it just gets better with age.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014great service and food. unfortunately we were under the blower for the AC and it was very cold on a very hot night. it was also quite loud and tough for the 80+ year olds in our party to hear our conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth ItPinotguyDined on 8/10/2014Check out the Woodsman Tavern for ultra fresh seafood, starters and sides with scintillating flavors, and rock solid and imaginative mains. Rustic yet classy setting, a casual vibe with impeccable service, and Best of all it's out of the hustle and bustle of the Pearl District or downtown. It can be crowded, but show up early, or wait in line, or make reservations (not available everywhere in this town) and you're going to have a great dining experience. Chef Jason Barikowski elevated the cuisine here, but the new team seems to be keeping up the great tradition of terrific food. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, but...bellyfulDined on 8/10/2014We are frequent diners at Woodsman Tavern. However, times have been changing and it hasn't been for the better. We like Woodsman's food but the music level has gotten out of hand. Far, far too loud. Also, our last TWO visits we reserved a table through OpenTable. For the first one I called to confirm they got it, as we had a large-ish party and we needed specific seating (two of our party can't sit at the 'school' chairs). I got phone confirmation that our seating request would be honored, but when we arrived ALL the large tables were full. Second visit (w/OpenTable conf.). Again, NO TABLES available. Reservation was for 20 min after opening. Waited for an hour for our table to be ready. Food = great. Sound = painful. Service=needs workSpecial Features:
- Don't tell.MaddylewDined on 8/9/2014Took a friend here for birthday brunch. Wanted to be sure we had a nice table' so made reservations. Would not have needed them, but I love being able to have the option. Servers were great. We didn't feel rushed. Oysters were fabulous. Rest of the brunch was good. Been here for dinner before and it was outstanding. I will go back for brunch. The noise level is a bit high. Not sure they can do anything about that.Special Features:
- birthdayDined on 8/5/2014Way to noisey, we ate in 45 minutes just to get out of there. Food expensive, very little service and they even messed up our bill. Had been in the restaurant business for 35 years and have never heard of charging for bread and butter. We will never go back.
- FoodieLisDined on 8/2/2014Delicious drinks & food. Cozy ambience. I started with the Kentucky Special, a tasty bourbon drink. Excellent drink menu! I had the whole trout & it was cooked perfectly, not dry. Moist & very flavorful! The wine pairing picked by the bartender was a perfect match. My husband tried the steak & it too was cooked perfectly & delicious! Will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodHillsborofoodiesDined on 7/31/2014Our party of three enjoyed our food especially the ham plate and trout. Service was excellent with attentive friendly wait staff. However, we did not like the music which was so loud we could hardly hear one another. We asked the hostess to turn the music down which she promptly did. We all enjoyed the meal and would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudFamnightVIPDined on 7/29/2014Great resturant but too loud. I couldn't hear the people sitting at our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 45 minute wait after orderingparadocsDined on 7/27/2014Made reservations and were seated promptly but it took 45 mins to get our lunch. The food was not worth the wait. The french toast was thickly cut, dry and like eating hunks of stale bread. No eggy goodness here. The bacon was cooked too hot. It was hard, acrid and not tasty. The hamburger was stewed in grease and loaded with a greasy sauce. The amount of fat dripping off was impressive! Taters were fried smashed baked and greasy. No ambiance in the place, uncomfortable wierd chairs, bad acoustics. Bummed out.
- 3rd time - great food, slow serviceFoodWineProfDined on 7/26/2014We've been to Woodsman about 5 times, 3 of those 5, including Saturday (7/26) we've had extremely slow service... like waiting 15-20 minutes for a menu, and then another 45 minutes for any food to arrive, we had to ask for a biscuit to tide us over, we were a party of 3 with a 10:15 AM reservation for breakfast, and the restaurant was not full, and no outside tables were in use. You will enjoy the food and atmosphere, just don't count on getting waited on or served under an hour. The other two times we had reasonable wait times, they are never in a rush, but we had totally acceptable times for a lovely meal.Special Features:
- Loved it!LovegoodfoodDined on 7/25/2014This was our first evening out during our vacation to Portland. Read a lot about this place and it definitely lived up to the buzz.Special Features:
- Tastebuds and ear drums buzzing!travelingtastebudsDined on 7/24/2014The food was good and hit all the right notes, but the noise level was off-putting. We had a 6PM reservation and were seated in the booth next to a party of six who had already hit the HH menu so they were having a good time, and who can blame them? Being from out of town, I should have vetted the Yelp reviews before making a reservation. We did enjoy our meal, but would have savored it more had we been able to converse with our dining companions. I'm guessing here, but I suspect the decibel level exceeds acceptable standards. Not sure what they could do to lessen the dB levels, but at least advise the staff that they may have hearing loss from working there and provide earplugs to protect their hearing.Special Features:
- Good but not greattwn2Dined on 7/22/2014I had previously been to this restaurant twice for brunch and lunch and was impressed both times. For dinner, the smoked mussels were excellent. The salad, hamburger and 'chicken special' were well prepared but not remarkable. The room was acoustically live which made conversation a little challenging. I'll return for brunch.The service was very good.Special Features:
- Jakes knew his wines. Great waiter!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014Have booked another reservation for August 8th..That says it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wow!Eater10000VIPDined on 7/14/2014We had a great experience about 2 weeks ago, so we decided to return. Everything, especially the service, was excellent. Every person seemed happy to see us and were very friendly. We started with some oysters, deviled eggs and french fries. The deviled eggs, in particular, are superb. We had a peach & cucumber salad next . . . delicious. For entrees, we had the salmon & the meatloaf. Both dishes were really good. We wanted to have dessert, though we were way too full! It was a great experience . . . again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unremarkable, save for 1 issueOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014So many other remarkable establishments in Portland I probably won't bother to return. Should have read online reviews. Some complimented the atmosphere; compared to other upscale tavern restaurants, the atmosphere is so-so. The food was ok. Early dinner & already out of items on the sparse menu. Temper any anticipation over cocktails if you are a vodka drinker: they carry just 2 types of vodka & neither represent local distilleries. Think twice before you go with a large party to celebrate a happy event, as your joyous voices may echo in the cavernous facility. Difficult to hear one another just across the table. You'd think the staff would be aware of that fact, but our waiter felt obliged to shush us on behalf of a nearby table
- Great place for brunchFineDinahDined on 7/12/2014I haven't been disappointed yet. Their in-house charcuterie (bacon, Canadian bacon, etc.) is fabulous, their potatoes are perfectly cooked and very tasty - unlike how bland most breakfast potatoes are. The cocktails are first class and wonderful tasting without over-attempting to concoct weird infusions just to be trendy. We split the baked pancake for "dessert" and I'm still thinking about that days after eating there - it was heavenly! Zach has been our waiter twice now and he's a total professional, knows his food and beverages and is incredibly personable.Special Features:
- The cool hipster ..OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/10/2014Really slow service isn't. The guy was super pleasant but wasn't to be seen for long stretches of time. The cadence of the evening was uncomfortable slow and the place was not that busy.
- Dinner took 3 hoursalien77Dined on 7/10/2014Took my friend out for a birthday dinner. While our server took our drink orders within 5 min of us getting seated, the drinks took 20 min to arrive. Then our server didn't take our dinner order for almost another 15 min after. After most of our food arrived (1 order never even made it to the table), our server didn't check in with us until we were almost done eating it. It was extremely difficult to get our server, or any server's attention for assistance to get another fork and drink orders. We've come here 3 times in the past and had wonderful service. The food is always delicious and beautifully served. We were really disappointed with the lack of service especially since it was my friend's birthday and the staff was aware of that.Special Features:
- Lovely for happy hourEaterDrinkerDined on 7/8/2014Excellent service all around, beautiful cocktails and well sourced food. The bar food, starters and cocktails were the highlight. Dinner was good though not amazing. I will go back for happy hour, but the noise level became too much to carry on conversation as the evening progressed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceSYTDOM1Dined on 7/5/2014The young lady waiting our table was a delight and very knowlegable. The overall experience was good. This was our second time eating at the Woodsman Tavern and both times have been enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I've had in a long timeBigDVIPDined on 7/1/2014We travelled from Southern California to Portland just to experience the food scene. Woodsman Tavern did not disappoint. We had incredible service, tasty wine (by the glass, which is hard to find), a very diverse, creative choice of dinner offerings, and an excellent meal.Special Features:
- Not What it Used to BeKC66Dined on 6/29/2014Our dining experience was a great disappointment as we have eaten here several times before and had great service, excellent cocktails and wonderful food. This time, service was extremely slow, even though the restaurant was not very busy. Cocktails were so bad and done so incorrectly (bartender made two drinks both of which were NOT the requested Old Fashioned's) that most of them were comped. It took forever to get someone to our table who could assist us with wine selection. Food was good, but not exceptional as before. Noise level was and always has been ridiculously loud. Reason? The restaurant insists upon playing music at a very loud level. Even one of the servers mentioned it was difficult to hear what patrons are saying!Special Features:
- Great food, dismal serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Dinner took forever and not in a fun dining way, but no one helping us way.... Took10 min once we sat down for waiter, forever between courses and they had to scramble for change for my bill... Great food though, expensive...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ExperienceValerieDined on 6/24/2014The chairs at the table are very uncomfortable. I suppose they match the decor but do nothing for comfort. I ordered a martini. They only have two offerings for vodka. The martini was heavy on the vermouth; too sweet. We ordered oysters on the half shell and the oyster shooters as an appetizer which were delicious. My butter lettuce salad was wonderful and enough for two. We ordered the grilled whole trout and the ribeye. Trout was great, but the steak was a bad cut with too much marbling. Half my steak was fat. It came to the table sliced. Service was extremely slow even though there were only two other tables when we arrived and got worse through the evening. He appeared to be the only waiter for the dining room and outside.
- Slow ServiceBurningmyhandsDined on 6/22/2014The food was delicious but service was unbearably slow for a partially filled dining room. Our server seemed to disappear at times. I ordered the smoked shellfish caesar. It was tasty but where was the smoked shellfish?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice interior but food wasn't greatfloatingheadDined on 6/22/2014Heard good things about the place and have to been to Ava Genes ( i think they own woodsman as well) and loved that. Apps and drinks were good, but the food wasn't as good as expected for the price so we left a little disappointed. Corn on the cob had too things piled on top. I was never asked how my prime rib was to be done and was a bit too rare and I'm usually ok with medium rare. For the price, not sure i'd come back.Special Features:
- Newest FavoriteEater10000VIPDined on 6/21/2014It's always hard to top other restaurants in Portland, yet the Woodsman did so in spades. We came before the reservation and sat at the bar. The service was great, the cocktails were excellent and the conversation with the staff made the short stay very pleasant. When we sat down for dinner, the superb service continued. The server explained the dishes very well, and the delivery of each course was timed perfectly. (It was also very busy, which adds to the degree of difficulty.) The deviled eggs are superb, and the watermelon salad was a true highlight of the evening. For entrees, we had the salmon, the trout and the pork. Each was very different, and all were delicious. We will absolutely return to this restaurant!Special Features:
- Woodsman TavernJeffBDined on 6/21/2014Excellent food and nice attention to friendly and helpful service. A very enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodDe137eVIPDined on 6/21/2014The Woodsman is right in our neighborhood, and we have been there many times. The food is great. We ordered many small bites along with a rebaked potato. The potatoes arrived warm not hot, they were quickly whisked away, new ones brought to the table and they were taken off our bill even tho I insisted that was unnecessary. Very nice servers. Outside seating is on the street on small tables, but we enjoy watching the world go by as we eat, especially in nice weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.