The Woodsman Tavern
4537 SE Division St
Portland, OR 97206Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Woodsman Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://woodsmantavern.com/
- Phone: 9713738264x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm
Oyster Hour daily 5:00pm - 7:00pm
Monday: Oyster Hour All Night/ "Meatloaf Mondays"
Tuesday: Woodsman Fried Chicken
Wedensday: Woodsman Fajita's
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Gregory
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Cross Street: 46th Avenue
- Public Transit: Portland Trimet bus line #4 Division/Fessenden stops at 45th and SE Division (stop ID 1465).
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is on-street or in the parking lot located on the corner of SE Division Street and 45th Avenue next to Stumptown Coffee.
A word from The Woodsman Tavern
The Woodsman Tavern is a neighborhood gathering place for good food, good drinks and good company. Located on upper Division Street in Southeast Portland, the restaurant serves American food with classic European influences and features a raw bar, extensive beer and cocktail offerings and a European-influenced wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Woodsman Tavern - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
The Woodsman Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (101)neighborhood gem (88)special occasion (49)hot spot (44)notable wine list (33)romantic (32)vibrant bar scene (31)great for brunch (30)good for groups (21)great for outdoor dining (11)great for lunch (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- DivineEatenMuchDined on 10/18/2014Everything was wonderful including the food, service, wine and atmosphere. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone that thoroughly enjoys a robust dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Had a wonderful meal at the Woodsman Tavern. The food was excellent, the atmosphere pleasant, and the service was prompt and attentive. Really enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, design-yPendletorDined on 10/17/2014Great meal with my ladyfriend. Our waitress was helpful and attentive, the drinks were amazing, and the food was out of this world. Trout with crazy water. It's a bit pricey, but I suppose I should have expected that.Special Features:
- Good for grazingCfdaffianadoDined on 10/16/2014Very noisy. Great veggies and salads. Awful old rubbery tasting seafood cocktail ? Pre- prepared?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guests Want SodaOban1VIPDined on 10/16/2014The Woodsman is a very nice neighborhood restaurant, This is the second time I have been to the restaurant and again it was very awkward at the table when someone in our party wanted to order a soda, I would think serving their guests and making them feel comfortable would be the goal of the restaurant, Instead of this pretentious notion that they and their restaurant are just to good to serve beverages many guests would like to consume,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Brussel Sprout saladOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014we were very excited to go to the woodsmen and unfortunately the only thing that was amazing was the Brussels sprout salad, it was incredible. The seating was uncomfortable, our server didn't even greet us before asking us for a drink order, the food was good but not great and way over priced for the quality. we felt rushed by our server and had to ask for things multiple times. We did find the bar tender to be charming, she was friendly and welcoming. we probably will not eat there againSpecial Features:
- Good because of good companyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/14/2014Went there on a Wednesday night fairly early in the evening. The food was very good - skirt steak eas cooked to perfection. The ham left a little to be desired. You would think that it would be hard to get a ham and potato dinner underwhelming. But, the ham was thinly sliced, quite salty and served over a small amount of vegetable. It was like they went down to the local delecatesin and bought some sandwich meat and put it on the veggies. Oh, but they twirled it uo a little do it looked like a bigger portion. We ordered some of the oysters, but our server forgot to bring them to the table. Since the oysters didn't come it allowed for a lot of down time enjoying our drinks that did come.Special Features:
- Not as good as it was.SwsermenoVIPDined on 10/12/2014Hadn't been here in awhile. The dining room was pretty much empty on a Sunday night. We were not given a drink menu and had to request one. The waitress spilled water all over our table and never came back to clean it up, even though she acknowledged that she made a mess. There were no specials that night and the menu was pretty small. The brussels,sprouts appetizer was great, the burger and pork cutlet wer just okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Woodsman Tavern = heavenBreakfastClubDined on 10/5/2014This is a great location on the east side. If you live in the neighborhood I am completely jealous. On the upside it has kept my weight down. Our breakfast crew adore this location, the food and the staff. And not necessarily in the order. Get the scrapple, you will not be disappointed. The cold brew salmon was amazing. Silky smooth and not the salty stuff you get used to having from the grocery store. The staff handled our large group (8) with ease. Cannot say enough good things about them and their food. Go there. Now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Woodsman continues to deliverPDXLoverDined on 10/4/2014Had a nice romantic dinner with my girl last week. We were seated before asking to be moved to an open booth and the request was met with a smile. Sommelier recommended a great Beaujolais and we had a delicious sampling of oysters, salads and starters, finishing with the trout in crazywater, which we shared. Service was great but casual (as it should be in a spot like this) and we lingered for a while over that last glass of wine. The Woodsman is still worth a visit, especially since the quality of food is exceptional and it's a much easier last-minute reservation to get compared to Sorenson's newer spot down the street. I'll be back again and again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/4/2014Nice outdoor seating, great cocktails and food, and friendly and helpful service. I especially liked the ham plate, plum and smoked beet salad, and peach cobbler with gouda and mascarpone. I didn't really care for the grilled cauliflower. The steak and chicken were also quite good. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Classic NorthwestJenniferDined on 9/28/2014Woodsman is the classic NW experience. The food is totally unique with unusual combinations of fresh and local ingredients. I love the smokey flavor imparted to most their dishes. I also manage to try new dishes because their menu is always changing and interesting. It is the perfect place to bring out of towners so they can experience the more unique and quirky side of Portland. Woodsman has excellent cocktails, that if you are not careful you will spend more on drinks than you will on dinner. Love the ambiance but not a good place for large groups or older people with hearing impairment because it is super loud. However, when you desire loud and energetic this is a fun place.Special Features:
- Excellent Vibe & FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014Last minute decision to come here for dinner. Were able to secure a reservation and we were not disappointed. The ham and cheese fritters were outstanding! Loved the vibe!Special Features:
- excellent bourbon!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/26/2014The bourbon tasting was excellent, and the bourbon steward knowledgeable, friendly, and attentive. While the food was good, the waiter was not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantPdxfoodieDined on 9/24/2014Loved the decor. The oyster shooters were fresh & tasty, the ham & biscuit just melted in my mouth! Great wine selection. I felt the entrees were slightly overpriced, but overall would recommend this restaurant to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingeviltroutsDined on 9/20/2014The Woodsman Tavern is one of Portland's finest. It makes one just happy to live here.Special Features:
- Love this placeFineDinahDined on 9/20/2014We have had brunch many times here. The menu of items is always interesting and everything ordered to date has been quite delicious. Oyster offerings are first rate. The baked pancake is a great dessert for sharing! Presentation is high quality and the staff know their food and beverage offerings well. The cocktails are unique and taste wonderful - instead of "weird" as some establishments' cocktails that try too hard to be different. The noise level can be distracting when the restaurant is full which does make conversation more challenging. Other than that, this is a Saturday morning favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy happy hourHerpibnessDined on 9/16/2014This was our first trip to the Woodsman. We were looking for a special place for dinner for our anniversary, and we had heard good things, so we gave it a try. Let me say first that I was rather put off by the prices listed, $3.50 for a single oyster on the half shell? But I ignored my hesitations & dug in. Happy hour has a lovely feature, wherein there are some oysters priced at a mere (!) $2 each. The oysters were quite delicious, served with a light mignonette. Next we tried a ham plate, and as ham goes, this might have been the best either of us had ever had. Served shaved, with a freshly grilled biscuit (also splendid) and some perfectly ordinary but still yummy collards. Tuesday is fried chicken night, don't miss it!Special Features:
- Great BrunchMikeDined on 9/14/2014Wonderful oysters, creative brunch items and personalized service.Special Features:
- Good food but noisyFromthehoodDined on 9/13/2014I like the Woodsman Tavern very much. The food is very good. As a matter of fact, it is the best restaurant close to my house. I have been there more a dozen times but the noise levels are absurd. I took my mother who is 83 and the sounds in the tavern gave her a headache and it gave me a headache too and I am relatively young. I asked the staff to turn the music down because between the kitchen sounds, bar sounds, the talking of the patrons - I am sure the noise levels exceeded OSHA standards for noise exposure (I am not kidding).....and we were there at 5:30.....Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Two words: SMOKED MUSSELS! Order them, and you will be in mouth heaven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, very noisy!LynneR912VIPDined on 9/9/2014Sat outside because having a conversation inside was too, too hard. The food was outstanding as was the service and our waiter (Doug) provided travel tips for the Oregon coast that were spot on - kudos!Special Features:
- Woodsman Seafood Tower, a favoriteFlipDined on 9/9/2014We are big fans of the Woodsman Tavern and particularly the incredible Cold Seafood Tower. Plenty enough for 4 to share, the tower has the freshest seasonal seafood. On our latest visit we had a variety of Oregon and Washington oysters, house smoked mussels, albacore tuna, and bay shrimp salad. Two sides of grilled broccoli and chanterelles and padron peppers made for a wonderful meal. The service is friendly and attentive. The waiter recommended an excellent white wine that was paired well with the seafood and stayed in our budget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingmemaDined on 9/7/2014My daughter and I went to the Woodsman Tavern for Sunday brunch. From the moment we stepped foot inside we were happy and it just got better. The Blood Mary was everything I had hope for. Plates were overflowing with yumminess. We are planning to go back in October!Special Features:
- Friday at the WoodsmanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014All food was overall was great. Fresh oysters and smoked mussles were wonderful. I had the lamb dish and although it was wonderful, the two tiny pieces of lamb steak left me feeling like a paid a small fortune for not much moe than a tease. My wife complained that salt level in everything was too high. I'd say it was riding the line- could have been a bit less. Definetely not more! For dessert, the cheesy apriot torte was really good. But they ran out of the paired port wine that would have doubtlessly made the angels sing. The recommended next best didn't do it.Special Features:
- Good food and service butjalgerDined on 9/5/2014Seats are uncomfortable and music is awful and loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ENJOYED ITDeweyDined on 8/31/2014Great Oyster selection, food was very good, service great. Nice job with pairings. Enjoyed the classic country music. While not loud, the acoustics of the place makes conversation sometimes difficult. Little pricey, but will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasedFoodeeDined on 8/31/2014Food and drinks were great. We would not hesitate to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the WoodsmanOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014Friends from out of town recommended the Woodsman to us…and we live here! The food was great and the service personnel were friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- FoodXxxxxxxxDined on 8/31/2014Unfortunately, I made a special request for crispy bacon on the BLT and had to have it returned. Then some of the bacon was burned. The bread was extremely greasy. The staff did comp the meal which was appreciated. The waitress was as accommodating as she could. I probably will never return.
- Rustic chicmtf419VIPDined on 8/31/2014I booked The Woodsman for brunch because it appeared on an Eater list of underrated brunch spots. Its brunch menu is somewhat limited, and some of the dinner items are carried over (for instance, oysters). It does offer a substantial cocktail list, though at 10 am, we weren't quite up for alcoholic beverages. The carrot cake and pancake were outstanding. Unlike many "high end" Portland brunch spots, they use real maple syrup and don't charge extra for it. Deliciously salted butter is also in plentiful supply.
- Why all the fuss?OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/30/2014Much has been written about this restaurant, and it continues to get rave reviews (Portland Monthly just rated it one of 3 best places for fried chicken). My experience, however, was disappointing. The appetizers were very good, but entrees average at best. Three of us had the Half chicken special for dinner; all were overcooked and dry. Skip the stuffed tomato, too. Nice wine list. The biggest issue was the noise level. There were 6 of us at the table, and you could not hear one end to the other. It was not possible for the table to have a conversation without all speaking loudly, which apparently is what everyone else in the place had to do as well. Our table was also under a speaker playing music that, eventually, was turned down.Special Features:
- Great food and cocktailsGregPDXDined on 8/27/2014The service here is fantastic! The food is adventuresome. The ham plate is especially lovely. And the true mixologist cocktails are wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food service attentiveDoctorDined on 8/25/2014IMO its very Overpriced.Quality was very good .I am all for paying for that but for the selection and the quantity,its too much money when very comparative places are available for less. Its a millennium gen place. I do not think I will return. $15 for a 'shot' of wine is ridiculous when an offered taster sample was actually the same quantity.Impressive non the less but so much is out there in Portland. Its trendy, comfortable and neighborhood chic. worth it possibly for some and as I said, I am no cheapskate. Don't misunderstand me....I applaud the people for their effort. The Restaurant biz is the toughest I can tell you from experience.Special Features:
- Creative menu. Bit too retro?diner1361Dined on 8/22/2014The food was very good. The staff was attentive and service prompt. There was however a lot of the menu I would not bother with. It seemed to be retro with a contemporary twist. The trout dinner was Very good. Breaded pork cutlets like you have never had or imagined. It was Great. But I've had much better pork dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014a bit loud and slow service at first due to "oyster hour" but overall, the service was friendly and food great, a lively setting.Special Features:
- Really AmazingEater10000VIPDined on 8/17/2014We had come for dinner a couple of times, so we decided to try brunch. Wow! We started with the smoked mussels, which are really, really addictive. We had some bloody marys before the main course, which had just about the right level of spice. For entrees, we had the eggs benedict, a couple of biscuits and the pancakes. EVERYTHING was delicious! The service was probably the best we have had at a brunch. Woodsman is a first class experience at any time of day. We will return for the biscuit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- finally and amazinggrandobservationsDined on 8/13/2014It has been this long to go to the Woodsman, I kept hearing all about the shellfish, which I can't consume, so i dragged my feet, what no one was mentioning was the HAM, the grilled peaches, and the amazing steak. I want to eat there monthly if possible nowSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014Fantastic Food! Great Variety, Amazing Industrial (Think Restoration Hardware) Decor. The space is very noisy however and this was a distraction as conversations were difficult without raised voices. If this could be remedied via some improved acoustical additions I would be a regular. As it stands I would only meet with loud friends and not clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Woodsman is a gemnwfoodieDined on 8/12/2014I've been to the Woodsman more than a couple dozen times since it's opened and it just gets better with age.Special Features: