1716 S Congress Ave
Austin, TX 78704Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.woodlandaustin.com/
- Phone: 5124416800
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Brunch/Breakfast:
Saturday - Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Southern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Woodland
Recently (2012) named "Best Dessert" on Citysearch and "Best Shrimp and Grits" in town by Austin Chronicle Reader's Restaurant Poll. We make and bake everything in house; the sandwich breads, hamburger buns and po-boy loaves. We hand-cut our french fries and make our own pickles. Our salads are fresh, flavorful and hearty and many say we have the best veggie burger in town. Saturday and Sunda...y brunch at the Woodland is always a lively and delicious affair. We start both mornings beginning at 10:30 am. It’s always a good time involving mimosas, bloody marys, and the newly added Chicken and Waffles and South Texas Chilaquiles. We heard you friends! The half-price bottle of wine special we have every Sunday and Monday nights for dinner has become a popular way for folks to begin or end the weekContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Woodland reviews from OpenTable diners
- The WoodlandOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2013Cool, yet cozy. Good service, good food. Laid back SoCo vibe. The Woodland is a solid good time.Special Features:
- Great PIEOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2013The pies are out of this world. Had the Meatloaf and it was Delicious. We were in a little early so not to much bustle going on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not prepared wellneedtonoDined on 6/7/2013Two fish dishes were ordered at our table: the salmon and the mahi-mahi -- both were way over cooked. The service was good, and while I wasn't happy that their liquor license was suspended, they were kind enough to offer two complimentary drinks per person. I just wish the food had been better prepared. When you are charging as much for an entree as The Woodland is, they had better get their food quality improved. There are way too many other choices for that poor quality.
- Great eveningCarlaVIPDined on 6/7/2013Food was fabulous. First time I can ever remember seeing a menu that I was gladly eat each and every dish on it. Service was perfect.Special Features:
- Peeved hipster waitstaffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2013Went for dinner. Service was sullen, restaurant was hot and stuffy, food was mostly underwhelming. The pie was good though!Special Features:
- Let DownatxfamdiningDined on 5/12/2013The service was akin to what I would expect at McDonalds. We have 2 year old twins and thought this place would be a compromise for Mother's Day...nice enough and still kid-friendly. Lots of other families seemed to have the same idea, yet the staff could not have been less welcoming. Usually, wait staff is extra friendly on Mother's Day, but not this place. A smile was hard to come by, as was water refills and even a straw! The food was mediocre at best. The eggs tasted like airplane eggs. Overall, I was really disappointed, mainly because of this location. SoCo restaurants need to be on their game all the time. People often flock to SoCo right off the plane, and I want their foodie experiences to be the best representation possible!
- Great!TexanDined on 5/3/2013Woodland was great - went on a Friday night, and had a group of 6, so we made a reservation. But it wasn't that crowded when we arrived. We did get a big corner booth at the back which was fun and intimate. We might not have gotten the booth had we not had the reservation. Our waiter was super helpful, making recommendations when we asked. We had the corn fritters and pork empanadas for appetizers - both were just okay. Our table had chicken fried chicken, shrimp and grits, lamb shank (the special), the fettuccini - all were great! We were pretty much too stuffed for dessert, but tried the peanut butter choc pie which was rich and yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013Had a wonderful dinner with my family and my new fiance. The drinks were great and came out quick, and my pork chop dish was AMAZING! Also, my dad loved the desserts, and he is a serious dessert guy!Special Features:
- Loved goat cheese ravioliOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/24/2013Loved goat cheese ravioli with pink peppercorns. Light browned butter sauce. So much better than overwhelming white or red sauce. BEST chocolate pie ever!!!!!! Five Stars. Can't wait to try other desserts.Special Features:
- Eh...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/21/2013Everything was OK, but felt the food was overpriced for what was served.
- The service was horrible.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2013The service was horrible. I used to like this restaurant, but something has gone wrong. Yelp gave it horrible reviews also.
- Was greeted at the door, askOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2013Was greeted at the door, ask if we had a reservation and then we greeted by name - very nice. Clean restaurant, good service and nice variety in the menu. Only complaint - my over easy eggs were not cooked at all. I didn't say anything because this is an issue were ever I eat. If you ask for over medium, they're over cooked. It was still a nice meal.Special Features:
- One of my favorite restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/26/2013One of my favorite restaurants in all of Austin. It is simple, relatively quiet, uncrowded even when full, and the food is exquisite and affordable.Special Features:
- Good wine!cjonestxVIPDined on 3/25/2013I am so sad that the stuffed tomato has been removed from the menu, but the linguine was an OK substitute. Order the fired oyster appetizer and you will not be disappointed. I loved the wine list and great recommendations from the waiter.Special Features:
- The atmosphere was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2013The atmosphere was great. Service was quick and attentive. Sunday nights, they have 1/2 off wine bottles, so that's a big plus. I got the chicken pot pie, and it was not hot enough, plus it didn't taste that great. The interesting combinations on the menu led me to expect better food. I don't remember what my date had, but she didn't care for it too much either. I will give 'em props for the corn fritters though. They were great. Despite not having a perfect experience, I'll definitely be giving The Woodland another try.Special Features:
- Wine list was poor, but theWmaddenVIPDined on 3/11/2013Wine list was poor, but the food was very good. The shrimp and grits were among the best we have found.Special Features:
- The desserts are some of theOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/9/2013The desserts are some of the best that I have ever had.Special Features:
- After a long day we wantedJohnDined on 3/2/2013After a long day we wanted comfort food and found it at The Woodland. On Saturday night the reservation was helpful, as the restaurant was crowded when we arrived and when we departed. I had meatloaf, and my wife had a pot pie. Both were very tasty and well prepared, with fresh ingredients. Service was excellent.
- Great Sunday evening dinner spot!SammieDined on 2/24/2013We had a wonderful meal...very fresh and with great flavor...pork tenderloin tower, tomato capriese salad, and chicken tortilla soup. The soup base was very authentic Mexican poblanos and definitely made in house. The key lime pie had a very nice crust but the pie filing was a bit stale or old. The service was fine but not outstanding. The server was attentive but disinterested. Sunday evenings had half price wine by the bottle. Overall, a good experience and we would go back...would just order a different dessert.Special Features:
- I was an avid Treehouse patronOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2013I was an avid Treehouse patron when it first opened but afraid I'll not be returning after my Thursday night experience. My mother ordered a gin martini and received a rum (that's right rum) martini. I ordered the veggie burger which was simply inedible - pure salt. Even tho the restaurant was only 1/3 full, the acoustics were so bad the four of us found ourselves shouting so we could be heard. This was partly due to an exhausted child at another table who was screaming. Just not a good experience at all.
- Excellent corn fritters andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2013Excellent corn fritters and steak frites. Comfortable, casual dining. Pleasant atmosphere. Friendly wait staff. Highly recommend for informal occasions with friends or family.Special Features:
- Even though we had a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013Even though we had a reservation we waited for 40 min to he sat. The hostess then just pointed to the table and said y'all are over there. He did not bother to walk us over or bring us menus. The server was ok. He was not very friendly and kind of slow. He was in no hurry. I have been here before and remembered why it had been so long since I had been back. I was a little disappointed.Special Features:
- The bad news is that whenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013The bad news is that when we arrived at our reservation time, we still had to wait. The WORSE news is that the staff sat a couple who arrived AFTER us who had the same reservation time. We then ended up sitting at the bar for another 20 minutes until a table opened up. Luckily, the food was impeccable as always - although they disappointed my wife by being out of salmon. And they comped our bar alcohol for the seating troubles, which I suppose is fair enough. The waiter was highly inattentive and distant however. In our experience, this is the kind of place where the service is spotty but the quality of the meal means you'll always leave satisfied.
- My only negative feed backOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013My only negative feed back to contribute was with the appearance of the servers. Except for Tim, all of them were dressed after a "ratty/I don't care how I look" fashion. It felt like I was in New Bohemia with all of the skin-art creeping out from the rumpled apparrel.Special Features:
- Definitely Recommend!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013We really liked the Woodland Cafe!! The Shrimp and Grits was DELICIOUS! Their Desserts were amazing. Great Cafe Atmosphere..day or night.Special Features:
- Most Under-rated RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/13/2013I think this is one of the best restaurants in town. Local steak restaurants need to take a lesson from Woodland. Their Chicken Fried Chicken is also the best in town. Even beats hoovers. Their meatloaf is excellent and the Fish & Chips is some of the best I've had outside of Ireland.Special Features:
- Just "meh"merlotgirlDined on 2/12/2013I really wanted to love this place . It's a great location and had a cool vibe the minute we opened the door, However, from the time we were seated to the time we left, we were all underwhelmed. Our very surly hipster waiter had zero interest in answering questions about the food and drinks. I may try it again but there are so many great foodie places in Austin that The Woodland won't be on the top of my list for return trips.
- Great food, Servers need caffeineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/14/2013Wonderful food: bourbon glazed pork chop on special, steak frites, and shrimp linguine were all excellent! Great ambience: outdoors-indoors, shingles on the wall and a tree "growing" by the bar give it a rustic feel while still being modern and clean. Aloof service: as detailed in other reviews, the service was somewhat confusing, with our server seeming alternately disinterested and disoriented about what was available and our experience. Still, serviceable and we got what we ordered, but nothing attentive or stellar about it.
- Good Food -- Odd MotifOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 1/12/2013We are confused by this place, which we've never been to before. Oddly quiet for a Saturday at 7, but there were people coming in every 5-10 minutes so it was certainly not empty. But it was lacking any buzz. I think there is an issue with the overall decor/theme vs. the food and Austin in general. The name and motif make one think of the Pacific Northwest or Adirondacks. The menu is very southern (shrimp and grits, fried oysters, meatloaf). They make everything there and we enjoyed the food and really the food is the most important thing. Might recommend the wait staff get some sort of consistency with attire -- not recommending a uniform but you really can't tell who is a waiter and who is there eating.
- Food was delicious!! YumOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/9/2013Food was delicious!! Yum !! Very affordable ! I have recommended to others!Special Features:
- our order got messed up aOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/9/2013our order got messed up a few times which was disappointing, especially since it wasn't busy.Special Features:
- LOUD comfort food...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012It was NYE but the noise level of this joint gave me a headache BEFORE drinking. Okay food - my mother's steak was yummy - I had the meatloaf which I ate but would not order again. Pleasant room but simply so loud it was aggravating!Special Features:
- Great food. Lots of hard surfaces,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2012Great food. Lots of hard surfaces, so it was rather loud. Very SOCO. Fabulous pie...Special Features:
- The Woodland is my go-to restaurantSpinfrenzyVIPDined on 12/22/2012The Woodland is my go-to restaurant for really great home-style food -- shrimp and grits, meatloaft, fresh farm-to-market salads. Really wonderful!
- Surly wait staff not par for AustinJBAustinVIPDined on 12/17/2012Food was very good. The Empanadas and the Fritters were excellent. My steak was a little on the tough side, but the Shrimp with Grits was excellent. The waiter was surly and ordering drinks was like pulling teeth. Next time I will seek out another waiter, but I would still recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- Food was fantastic -- gottaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/16/2012Food was fantastic -- gotta be the best biscuits and pie in the country; great menu with lots of excellent choices; welcoming ambiance -- everyone in our large party of 8 was extremely happy with their dishes; service was wonderful. can't wait til next time!Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/9/2012We went for Sunday brunch and they had a lot of selections to fit every taste. The service was great and food was even better. Great drinks and great time. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- One of my friends recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/6/2012One of my friends recommended I try The Woodland and I am so glad she did! The atmosphere was relaxed and fun and the food was AMAZING! I had fried oysters and corn fritters to start, shrimp and grits for an entrée, followed up by pecan pie for desert. YUMMMMMMM! I went with five other women and we all can't wait to go back! The cocktails were fabulous too!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, service,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012Great atmosphere, service, and food. The only qualm I had about dining here was the portion of food that I got for $15. I ordered the butternut squash ravioli which were very tasty, however I only received 4 pieces of ravioli. It just wasn't much to satisfy my appetite.Special Features:
- Love this Soco gem! AttentiveToryVIPDined on 11/30/2012Love this Soco gem! Attentive service, friendly staff and good, quality food.Special Features: