The Wooden Nickel
4006 Berger Lane
Monroeville, PA 15146Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Wooden Nickel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thewoodennickelrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4123729750x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 11:00, Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am; Happy Hour 5-7 Monday through Friday; Late Night Bites Happy Hour 9-10 daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joe Bello
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Offering a wide range of catering services from personalized cakes to food and appetizers. Now offering boxed lunch program, gourmet catering and off site delivery services. Call for more details
- Private Party Facilities: Private rooms for parties from 20-200. Please call our banquet manager for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Deenie Ross (412) 508-1378x
- Entertainment: Entertainment:
Live Bands in lounge every Friday from 7:30 pm- 11:30 pm
Saturday Entertainment varies please check the web site for details
See our website www.thewoodennickelrestaurant.com for complete schedule
Late Night Bites from 9-10 pm 1/2 off the loung menu and desserts.
- Special Events: Monday- Martini Mondays $5 all day
Tuesday- Two dollar drafts on all draft beers & cigar specials
Wednesday- Wine Wednesday $5 glass wine all day
Thursday- House Infused vodka drinks and Three Rivers Cocktails for $5
Friday- Live Entertainment in lounge 7:30 -11:30
Saturday- 40% Off All Wine Bottles
A word from The Wooden Nickel
Monroeville's Hidden gem sparkles with a touch of style and sophistication. Upscale cuisine including: hand rolled pasta, fresh seafood, and the finest steaks and chops paired with an elegant wine list and delicious dessert menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Wooden Nickel reviews from OpenTable diners
- Mother's DaymadamerDined on 5/11/2014This was a great place to celebrate my mom on Mother's Day!Special Features:
- pete11812Dined on 4/24/2014Food was very good a little salty for my taste. The service was excellent however,noise level was high form one large group. Definitely will return and would recommend to others.Special Features:
- Coming BackbrowntbddDined on 4/20/2014Happy with our experience Overwhelming positive was the staff throughout all area's Everyone was very caring and service was courteous, friendly and prompt Mian server was a very nice and interactive blonde (Deb ?) at a 5:30 Res. She started her shift at 9am- but you would have thought we were her first table. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lacklusterFoodiegrlDined on 4/20/2014We went here for Easter despite hearing mixed reviews before going. Let me just say that I will never go again. Food was tasteless and prepared terribly. Service was worse. Our waitress was forgetful and rude. Do not waste your money!
- ExcellentLag1962Dined on 4/20/2014Super staff, well organized. Excellent food and a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerimaharrisDined on 4/5/2014The food was excellent. The staff, including the chef were very attentive. There wasn't a long wait for our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had not been to the WoodenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2014Had not been to the Wooden nickel in a long time......was pleasantly surprised at the addition of the dining room and the overall atmosphere....great experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wooden Nickel - nice!Didi02453Dined on 3/27/2014Another nice meal at the Wooden Nickel. The filet was cooked perfectly. The barbecue plate was tasty and actually more than one person could eat. The Wooden Nickel is a little pricey for everyday dining, but we enjoy it for special occasions. (Not many nice places in Monroeville area.... mostly chain restaurants! )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible. Go somewhere else.ErinDVIPDined on 3/20/2014We went here for my sisters birthday. It was awful. It was a Thursday night, and they seemed understaffed. They seated the entire dining room at the same time, so each waiter had about 15 tables to wait on all at once. Food was average, but I'm sure the kitchen was overwhelmed. After our dinners came over 2 hours after we got there, we all just wanted to go home. We boxed it up and left. I paid $250 plus tip to have a bad time. Thanks Wooden Nickel!
- Great meal with wonderful ambiancebdb1969Dined on 3/14/2014Had a wonderful meal for 2 on Friday evening. Food was supurb and the service very friendly. While the food is upsacale the dresscode is casual making for a very relaxing evening. Highly recommend this as a date night treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, but Very PriceywebgoddessDined on 3/7/2014The food was very good, the portions generous, but the prices were quite high. We sat at the bar and the lighting was so dark that it was difficult to see to eat a salad composed of a lot of darker field greens on top of a black bar counter top. What actually made the experience memorable was the great live entertainment they had in the bar that night. Otherwise, I wouldn't go out of my way to return.Special Features:
- What a shame!Maggie1Dined on 3/1/2014The reservation was made.The hostess was lovely. Even the bartender was attentive and made a great drink. Then we were seated.. The restaurant was way to loud. The food we ordered was burnt. The appetizers were like eating leftovers reheated.(Chicken,lettuce wraps and Mussells) .Thank God we had a great waitress. Eileen seemed aware of everything going on,I sure wish the owner was there. Maybe he was but we never knew it and he certainly wasn't paying attention . We spent $200.00 plus tip for food that wasn;t even mediocare at best.
- Real food in fast food junglebetterBgoodVIPDined on 2/22/2014Had an early dinnertime family gathering--Food was good, fish done right, not overdone, creative menu for Monroeville location. Eilleen, our waitress, was excellent. Nice wine selection and specials. Great addition to the neighborhood where most stuff is fast food or chain restaurants.Special Features:
- Totally enjoyablereservations42Dined on 2/21/2014The restaurant was quiet and relaxing, the dining room was set up beautifully, the service was top-notch and friendly, and the menu had varied and interesting choices--- who could ask for more? We thoroughly enjoyed our meals (although they were a bit pricey). I'm sure we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surereturntastetestDined on 2/14/2014Kaitlyn was our server and she is wonderful. She helped us make excellent dinner choices and the food was very good. We now make this a regular visit for dining. A bigger salad would be nice with dinner. Bread is great with the flavored butter. Kaitlyn had us buy a bottle of wine instead of 2 glasses and that was perfect. She made Valentine's day really nice. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go try the Wooden NickelPittNuttDined on 2/14/2014We had a great meal for Valentine's day. The New York strip steaks were delicious. We were seated right away and our server was very attentive throughout our meal. Even the master chef stopped by to make sure our meal was cooked just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible all aroundCoopDined on 2/14/2014Nowhere to park, parking lot covered in ice, lobby crowded with chaos, sat us in freezing cold room behind the bar surrounded by obnoxious people drinking, server never came, took a phone call to the restaurant and two bus boys to get servers attention, calamari was delicious, didn't like the soup, dinner was okay... Not worth the price My husband and I are NOT picky; we both worked in the food industry. This place was so terrible it was amusing!Special Features:
- Best valentines day everRoseDined on 2/14/2014We had a small child with us but wanted to go here because of the chef and hearing about the restaurant week award! We were treated like VIPs. The chef even stopped out and talked to us, and our little girl. Our server, Brian, was professional, and recommended wines and specials that you don't find outside of Pittsburgh. The good was perfect. We choose the stuffed meatloaf,and steak au poivre. All of it was prepared perfect and tasted amazing. We are so happy we found the wooden nickel and will be back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DayThomDined on 2/14/2014A disappointing Valentine's Day experience on a busy night.
- happy vegetariancaseyDined on 2/10/2014chef prepared a special meal for this vegetarian-- absolutely delicious! my "normal" friends said they loved their meals too. very fresh, expertly prepared food, served by a wonderful and delightful waitress. couldn't be more satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencejim222Dined on 2/8/2014From the time we arrived everyone was very friendly. Service was excellent while sitting in the bar and once we were seated to eat. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent wait staffnamfamDined on 2/1/2014We have frequented this restaurant for the "bar scene". They have a cozy atmosphere and good appetizers in their lounge. We were very dissapointed in the quailty of our dinners. For the price we were anticipating an excellent meal. We were a foursome, ordering 2 brook trout, 1 Kobi steak, and shrimp/spicy rice. All dissapointing especially the steak which costs $44.00. Our waitress was excellent, I believe her name was Kim. As usual the appetizers we ordered were good!
- very personal servicetjkdmkVIPDined on 1/27/2014Brian, our server, was extremely good to us. The food was excellent and we will certainly go back since this was our first time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and atmosphereFood4meDined on 1/24/2014Overall the food and service were good. There was a family with young children that was a bit out of place in the restaurant. The food had a lot of flavor, and the menu gave a good variety to choose from. I will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As usual a great meal. EveryFoodie113VIPDined on 1/18/2014As usual a great meal. Every time we try a new menu item it becomes our new favorite. Loved the Scottish Salmon and the Vanilla Shrimp and Scallops this time. Next time, who knows?Special Features:
- Pleasantly Suprised!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/17/2014Great food, excellent service! Wasn't expecting this quality outside of the city. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at Wooden NickelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014Very nice atmosphere and the food was delicious. We are used to going to bigger chain restaurants like Olive Garden...so this was a very pleasant change!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJennaDined on 1/17/2014The food and service are excellent! We came for the restaurant week specials and were not disappointed. I had the jalapeno bacon wrapped scallops and what's not to love? Spicy bacon? Fat scallops? Sign me up! and the cake for dessert was the size of my head! I will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerDinner42Dined on 1/16/2014We went during restaurant week and took advantage of the $35.14 three course special. The appetizer, main course, and drink pairings were all delicious. We were only disappointed by the dessert. The online menu stated an apple Brown Betty, but when we arrived, it was either chocolate or carrot mile high cake. Service was wonderful and we had a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out.ToniiDined on 1/11/2014lWhat a pleasant surprise. Metamorphosis is complete. We had a delightful evening this past Saturday. Food was excellently prepared and the service was gracious. Thank you.Special Features:
- ExcellentCatnjoeDined on 1/4/2014Always great food and service they go above and beyond!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will not returnyomanDined on 12/28/2013My wife and I waited 50 minutes after ordering for our meal. Restaurant was not crowded when we sat down and ordered. Also I was not only billed for my bill.butalso someone else's. Very poor service
- We can't get enough!RoseDined on 12/23/2013Me and my family can not get enough of this place. It's been a wonderful change of pace to the normal dining in Monroeville. The wine list is fantastic, seafood is the freshest I've had anywhere and the tomahawk steak... Make sure you bring an extra stomach for that!!!!! It's HUGE. We can not wait to go back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy holidaysRoseDined on 12/13/2013The place was packed, but the service, food and drinks were perfectly timed. We dined with a large group on Friday for a birthday celebration and even though we know chef bello, we were treated with the most precessional service from Ryan. Nothing is worse then being treated differently because you know the chef. We were amazed at how professional the entire staff was but especially Ryan the server. The crab cakes and salmon were fantastic! I love the wooden nickel and we will be back soon!!!! Happy holidays the place looks beautiful with all the Xmas decorations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedCarloDined on 12/12/2013This has been a long time favorite but recently the food selection and quality has been suspect. The prices are favorable but that is about all.Special Features:
- THANKSGIVING DAYDon7412Dined on 11/28/2013We did not want to deal with the work of preparing a meal for family and friends. I selected the Wooden Nickel based on Open Table alone. We loved it! Everyone was nice, service was great, and the food was wonderful. They also recommended a great wine to go with the Turkey, and it was great. I would highly recommend the Wooden Nickel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth a nickelOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2013My wife and I stop in without reservations and the place was empty. We have been here at least three or four times in a month and a half. We were told the only seating was in the bar which was fine with us. We were then seated by the beer cooler behind the bar . The area we sat in felt as though it was unseated. The the food was mediocre at best although it seemed ok on previous occasions. We will never go back. Repeat customers should be treated better. Our waitress did apologies. We walked out only to notice empty tables every where
- Great FoodCircuitdoggDined on 10/25/2013You have to really look for this place but worth the hunt! Food was good and served quickly looked like a favourite pre wedding dinner spot. All the employees were dressed in costume for Halloween its a bit on the pricey side for that neighborhood too so don't be surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming, with potentialcolindeanDined on 10/20/2013My party dined during lunchtime on a Sunday. The best part of the meal was the appetizer, some breaded/fried calamari. Our lunches were underwhelming. Two people had reubens, and they reported that the thousand island dressing was very...blah. It was a hearty sandwich - no one went away hungry - but the dressing on a reuben is a major part and WN's just didn't cut it. We generally stay away from reubens where the menu says "thousand island" instead of "russian dressing", but deviated, to our disappointment. One had the meatloaf and said that, aside from its unique and funky presentation, it was non-notable. My fish sandwich was looking great, until the tartar sauce was basic, boring stuff. Plain mayo would have been more flavorful.Special Features:
- Great food!BondDined on 10/4/2013Drunken mushroom appetizer was fantastic, as well as the NY Steak and Lamb Chops. BJ provided wonderful service...thanks!Special Features: