The Wood Restaurant & Lounge
838 Main St
Canmore, AB T1W 2B7Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Wood Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thewood.ca/
- Phone: (403) 678-3404
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:00am.
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm.
Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 11:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Comfort Food, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Troy Todd
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wine
- Catering: We offer off site catering for all your needs. Weddings, rehearsal dinners, corporate events, and family functions. Contact us for more information on how we can look after your groups needs.
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Whitefield 4036783404
A word from The Wood Restaurant & Lounge
Located in the heart of beautiful downtown Canmore, Alberta The Wood Restaurant and Lounge offers casual dining with attentive and friendly service. Our menu features Alberta beef steaks, homemade burgers and pasta, BBQ chicken and ribs, a wide selection of sandwiches and salads, and a kids menu featuring mini burgers and kids chicken fingers. We are also open daily for breakfast. The Wood Restaurant and Lounge is located in the log building at the corner of Main Street and 8th Avenue in Canmore and offers breathtaking views from the best patio in town. The lounge offers 18 draft beers on tap, a wine list featuring 30 wines from 30 vines, our signature cocktail list featuring the green tea zentini, the organic martini, and our famous peach bellini. Eight big screen plasma televisions offer up all the big sporting events. Wireless internet is available throughout, including the 120 seat patio......which offers great views of the local mountains. ....fun, food, and friends....Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Wood Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)great for outdoor dining (4)good for groups (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- Good valueGus7Dined on 10/29/2014We were there on a week night at the end of October so the place was not busy at all- I think normally this would be very busy. It's central location, good sized patio and attractive appearance ensures it will be busy on the weekends. It was great for us- near where we were staying- short walk. The meal was not expensive; nice ambiance, very good service- enjoyed the beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MealSpecialDined on 10/12/2014A great restaurant and must eat place in Canmore. Great food and service was excellentSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014I have been to The Wood a few times over the past few years with friends and family. We have always had excellent food and excellent service. We have eaten in the restaurant and out on the deck and have always been accommodated. I would recommend it to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitMarg062Dined on 8/26/2014We were a little worried when we got there and they couldn't find our reservation.... but that got all worked out. The hostess was very nice and sat us in a quiet spot. The waitress we had was really awesome. She had a great sense of humor. The food was great and lots of it. Had the salt and pepper wings very tasty. For the main course I had the steak sandwich. Everyone else in our party was very happy with their orders also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HungrynCanmoreDined on 8/4/2014Unfortunately we never got to dine here as our we were told that our Opentable reservation was not being accepted during summer. No apologies was offered but we were told if we could wait for 30 minutes they would try and seat us.Special Features:
- Waste of timeDD01VIPDined on 8/4/2014The Wood didn't honor our open table reservation due to the long weekend - waste of time. They really shouldn't have listed open availability.
- The following 39 reviews are from the The Wood Restaurant & Lounge reviews archive.
- Bad host, Everything else - mehskola28Dined on 7/8/2014The host seemed like he had no idea what he was doing, very slow. Waitress was kind and attentive. The patio in the later afternoon is awfully sunny with little opportunity to find shade. Would not recommend if you don't like sitting in direct sun. Food was OK.Special Features:
- Wing NighthivhuDined on 6/23/2014A group of us went to The Wood for their wing night a few weeks ago, and while the food was great, the service was less than desirable. The staff is typically not very friendly
- Mountain get awaylocationlocationDined on 5/23/2014A refreshing break from the city. A nice drive followed up by an amazingly presented great tasting meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wood RestaurantlovelydinerDined on 5/11/2014We were treated well by all the staff. We chose 3 items from the appetizer list and the spinach salad. All were quite good! The restaurant was kind enough to book us a table for 4 pm, though that was not really necessary. Loved the decor.Special Features:
- Wood not go backCanmoreweekenderDined on 4/25/2014Friendly service but that's about where the good in this review ends. My family and I have always wanted to try this restaurant add we are in Canmore most weekends. My husband had ribs that were extremely dry. I had the burger, Huge bun but not a lot of meat. My kids had rbis from the kids menu. Both kids had to have something else to eat when we got home ad they war still hungry. For almost 10 year olds, 3 small ribs and a handful sweet potato fries is not nearly enough!
- Great for the summerAlberDined on 4/13/2014Great place to have a cold one sitting outside in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyMoniDined on 3/14/2014We went for supper and the food was quite tasty. Ambiance could have been more warm. Perhaps lights on a dimmer switch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The WoodRhondaDined on 3/13/2014The service and the food were just ok, I had expected better. It's a busy, popular place and has a nice vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday mealsussexpiscesDined on 3/11/2014Quiet season so not many people in the restaurant but service was good and food was ample portions. Patio is a great place to eat in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accomodating staffHerandmeDined on 2/14/2014Server/chef very accomodating with food prep/diet requestsI would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expected12345Dined on 1/25/2014From the website I had expected more. The menu on the website had more variety than what we were given. The server did not smile at all. Every request we made was treated as an inconvenience. One person would order a drink and then he would run off before other people could make their order. We had a three year old with us and had to ask for a child's menu. Then even though other tables had crayons given with kids menu we were just brought the piece of paper. So on our own we just asked the hostess for our own crayons. The food was great. But the little service issues really wrecked my evening. I would try a different restaurant next time.Special Features:
- Out of menu itemsBJO7Dined on 12/26/2013We went with burgers in mind and they were out of them and pulled pork...
- Wedding supperNewlywedFoodieDined on 10/5/2013We had a fantastic time and an amazing supper the night of our wedding. The service was fantastic and the food spectacular, everything cooked to perfection and we are very pleased that we chose to have our small wedding supper of 5 people at The Wood. Steaks were all tender and juicy, garlic mash was out of this world and the pasta roselinne was so good that I had to share with everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drinks and DinnerWendyDined on 10/5/2013The restaurant and bar are a bit small but their patio is huge and gives you a great mountain view. The service was not great though. When our waitress would walk by the table we would have to remind her that we needed another drink and then she'd take 1 drink order and walk away. We were there to watch a Hockey Night in Canada game on a Sat night and they didn't even have the sound for the game on. 50/50 in whether we'd go back there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favourite Spot in CanmoreJillbDined on 8/5/2013Stumbled upon The Wood by accident and loved the food so it has now become a must when in Canmore - glad I made a reservation though since it would have been a 40 minute wait otherwise. Still hoping to get a prime spot on the great outdoor patio one day......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was hoping for moreYummytimesDined on 5/11/2013Our group of 6 arrived at 800 for our reservation. After 10 minutes and another table being served beside us, we finally tracked someone down to see if we could be served. She said she would go find someone to help us. When our server arrived we tried to order the 3 appetizer plate but all 3 items we wanted they were out of. He then told us some of the other items they were out of. We had to wait quite some time for a second round of drinks, had to keep reminding him of other things we requested that he forgot. The food was good and everything arrived how we ordered it. When it was time for dessert, again they were out of tiramisu. Our server was apologetic for all the little errors however it was frustrating by the end.Special Features:
- Overall dissatisfied. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2013Overall dissatisfied. The "cup" of soup was laughable, being served in a ramekin and tasting watery and overpowered with garlic. Service was lacking. My friend waited 20 minutes for her drink. Dinner too 1h20 minutes to be served and none of our steaks were cooked properly - med rare was more like medium well! When the waitress came by we told her about the overdone steaks and she did nothing! Not even an apology! Might go back but only for drinks on the patio which looked awesome (it was closed due to rain).Special Features:
- waited over an hour for foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/28/2013We dined at the Wood with our friends and since we were a group of 8 with 4 kids, we made advance reservations. Our table was available immediately at 5:30 pm, we ordered within 10 min and waited over an hour for our food to arrive. 5 min after ordering I was told my chicken dish was sold out -at 5:45 pm dishes are sold out??We asked for at the least the kids food to come out before ours when we were told the kitchen was behind -at 6:30 pm? Our waiter was anything but apologetic and acted like we shouldn't be surprised that it should take over an hour for boxed mac & cheese to be ready.I think restaurants in Canmore need to get their act together and be prepared for high volume days/weekends and the staff needs an attitude adjustment.Special Features:
- My wife and I went to TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/23/2013My wife and I went to The Wood for dinner on a weekend away. We generally thought the food, service and overall experience was good. We would have no problem coming back.Special Features:
- The atmosphere was casualOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/17/2013The atmosphere was casual and nice, as was the ambiance (decor, etc.). The food was good for the price. The waitress was kind enough to bring a free desert to the birthday boy at the table. It did take a while for us to have a chance to order drinks and food, once that began she was good on checking up though. Perhaps she was having a bad night but I thought service was slow. That said, we will go again.Special Features:
- Good wasn't hot was warm notOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/15/2013Good wasn't hot was warm not good service and over all just Not what I usually get from them. I love the wood but disappointed this timeSpecial Features:
- Food was only average, notOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/28/2012Food was only average, not hot on arrival .. restaurant is definitely not the same as in the past.
- My wife and I enjoyed a veryRockyviewcdaVIPDined on 12/7/2012My wife and I enjoyed a very nice dinner. So nice that we went for lunch the net day. She especially loved the duck rolls. The dry ribs were a hit.
- Food was great, location wasSheppieVIPDined on 9/19/2012Food was great, location was awesome. Service was exceptional. We will be backSpecial Features:
- The Wood has a great patio.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2012The Wood has a great patio. The food is never overwhelmingly good... It's OK. We go there for the price and the view. We had good service on our last visit. These has been a big improvement in that department of late. There were times where to get a "quick lunch" it would take over an hour wait! If you are not in a hurry, and its a beautiful day, great patio to share beers with friends!Special Features:
- Great time toasting a yearOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2012Great time toasting a year until we get married. Food was great and there was a great selection. The dessert sharing platter was awesome and I definitely recommend the cheesecake.Special Features:
- Breakfast could be better.annabellee78VIPDined on 8/6/2012It was a great place for late night drinks and snacks; however breakfast was not great. My waffle was crunchy and I was not impressed.Special Features:
- Best meal I've had in a longOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2012Best meal I've had in a long time! Food was prepared perfectly. I would definitely eat there againSpecial Features:
- We went to the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/2/2012We went to the restaurant for my friends stagette and they were great. The waitres was very organized with bills and we had great service. The food was really good and we didn't have to wait long at all! Good prices also!Special Features:
- Great service, good food atOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/28/2012Great service, good food at an affordable price. Will deffinitley go again.Special Features:
- We were very impressed withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2012We were very impressed with the service and the ambiance at The Wood. The starters were really lovely, inventive and tasted super fresh. The main course we found to be a little ho-hum. Just a bit ordinary. Our main courses were ok, the starters and the dessert we had were lovely.
- Made reservations and wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2012Made reservations and was told I'd have to wait in the backTo be sat on the patio not impressed so we leftSpecial Features:
- Not going backOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/28/2012I came here on for Saturday dinner (630pm) with my wife and 2 year old daughter. We had reservations and were seated immediately. Unfortunately it was downhill from there. It took 20 minutes before the waitress showed up. My wife ordered the NY striploin and wanted it medium rare. When it came out it was more on the medium to medium well side. We told this to the waitress who disagreed with us saying it was perfect but she could put in another order. When that order came she repeated again that the previous one was perfect. Now we don't usually complain at restaurants and so when we do it's definitely serious. What happened to the customer being always right? This is our 2nd time there and we are not going back.
- Really enjoyed everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/13/2012Really enjoyed everything at Wood!! The portions were very generous and arrived promptly. The server was very friendly and provided great serviceSpecial Features: