The Winery Restaurant and Wine Bar - Newport Beach
3131 W. Coast Hwy
Newport Beach, CA 92663Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Winery Restaurant and Wine Bar - Newport Beach
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thewineryrestaurant.net/
- Phone: 9499996622
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Th 5:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-10:30pm
Dinner: Su 5:00pm-9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Yvon Goetz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Winery Restaurant and Wine Bar - Newport Beach
The Winery Newport Beach is a 10,000-square-foot, two-story restaurant, complete with a 700-square-foot 2nd floor outdoor dining patio overlooking the marina with two outdoor fireplaces and state-of-the-art heating system and waterproof awnings for year-round use. Filled with sumptuous stone slabs and warm wood flooring, a fourteen-foot high glass private wine locker display, majestic stone, dazzling light fixtures and an immediate view of the Pacific Ocean. Our wines are stored in our state-of-the- art two-story temperature controlled wine cellar accommodating 6,500 bottles of wine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
The Winery Restaurant and Wine Bar - Newport Beach - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
The Winery Restaurant and Wine Bar - Newport Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
scenic view (127)notable wine list (102)special occasion (86)fit for foodies (66)vibrant bar scene (60)hot spot (54)romantic (53)neighborhood gem (31)great for outdoor dining (30)good for groups (27)late-night find (13)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (4)Show More
- AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014We used to go to the Winery at the district when we work for a company located over there, good food and decadent atmosphere. There is a concern when a second location opens up that it will not have the same. With Rochelle working at the new location it has exceeded the original on all aspects. Nice that some of the help was retained from Villanova. Only complaint- prices are a bit high,Special Features:
- The Grapes of WrathOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014For such a highly rated restaurant the food was very disappointing: can't even rate it as 'mediocre'. For half the price there are much better restaurants all over Newport Beach. Re: ambience: a great view, but the noise level -- even at the slow hour of 5.30 -- made conversation nearly impossible. Service was attentive, but the highly recommended daily special was by far the low point of the menu. We're locals and have a number of restaurants we frequent regularly. The Winery is on our 'Never Going Back' list.Special Features:
- Wonderful!!BarryKDined on 9/12/2014What can I say? Everything was 5 stars - excellent service, excellent food, great wine recommendation! All this, combined with an attentive staff, made us feel welcome & created a very special anniversary celebration! Thanks to all at The Winery - we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great settingBongoVIPDined on 9/11/2014Great marina location, beautiful restaurant! Incredible wine list. Overall our meals were tasty. A little pricey and a somewhat high noise level, however, we would go back, especially for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014Food, service and ambiance was very good. A little on the pricey side, but if you're celebrating a special occasion, why not pay a little more for a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QueenbeeVIPDined on 9/6/2014Absolutely LOVED this location for the Winery. The food was amazing from the bread and butter to our creme brûlée and beignets for dessert. We had an after dinner drink in the cigar bar on the patio after overlooking the Newport harbor. Amazing night at an Amazing restaurant, will definitely be back!Special Features:
- AnniversaryRichVIPDined on 9/6/2014Second time at the restaurant and we were not disappointed. Great view. Great service. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014We celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary at the Winery on Friday night and had a blast. The owner and his family (whom all work at the restaurant) took a special interest in us and showed us around as we have not been to the Newport location. The ambiance was fabulous and the food was amazing. This is one of the very few restaurants in Orange County that we frequent regularly as we have a great time every time we dine here.Special Features:
- Service exceeded the food.luvmesomfoodDined on 9/5/2014Service was great, atmosphere was fun but loud...but I hear that's the new thing (so it seems busy)! Appetizers were ok, wine was exceptional, our $60. Steak was totally under cooked... then it was over cooked... For that price, it should be spot on. I loved the place, but I world just sit at the bar next time order some wine and appi's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newport Beach Needed This PlacefoodiefriendDined on 9/5/2014Our entire experience was amazing... we went back the next night for appetizers and drinks in the bar!Special Features:
- CRISP up the salad greensLRVlachosVIPDined on 8/31/2014Had a great waiter....only drawback was the wilted salad which really was overpriced to begin with but Dan S. took care of that....replaced with a yummy soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar Patrons and Large PartiesBusinessTravellerDined on 8/31/2014What could have been a great restaurant was a nightmare of out-of-control patrons and not just one group but several. Their antics and the way in the which the restaurant is constructed make it impossible to host dinner guests, rowdy bar patrons and large loud group tables - upstairs or downstairs. It's sad because the food and view are excellent. The entire wait staff is competent and pleasant. The wine list is first rate, and the corkage fee while high, is not too high. The Venison, Chicken, Salmon and Rack of Lamb were all outstanding, as were the appetizers, salads and desserts. The facility is beautiful, from the entry hall to the deck outside and the stone walls to the various wine storage areas and the amazing agate bar tops.Special Features:
- Beautiful setting, but loud...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/30/2014The service from James was excellent. The food was very good, but the noise level was tough at a round table for 5. We went early hoping it wouldn't be so noisy, but it was very noisy. Perhaps next time we will try upstairs on the outside patio. Did like that there were two bars and two dining levels. Definitely would try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFUL WINERYSoCalJoyDined on 8/28/2014BFF's & I celebrated a very special bday here & were AMAZED from the minute we walked in! Daniela confirmed Open Table reservation earlier that day & was first to greet us...table ready & waiting. She even greeted our celebrant by name. Quite impressive because I didn't think vendors read comments anymore. Seated in a booth on the 1st floor overlooking the bay...SPECTACULAR VIEWS!Server, Steven, kept the VIP service going by wishing our birthday girl a happy birthday. Appetizer stuffed zucchini blossoms drizzled in lobster sauce...OFF THE CHARTS! Seafood special, Sea Bass served with porcini mushrooms... SIN-sational! Topped the night off with creme brulee & private tour from Alex. Overall, an AMAZING night..OUTSTANDING hospitality.Special Features:
- BigDDined on 8/27/2014One steak was tough and chewy, the other meals were wonderful. The noise level downstairs is significant. Upstairs is more suited for conversation.Special Features:
- Fabulous EveningstratcommDined on 8/27/2014Got there at 5. Our table wasn't quite ready so we went into the bar. Had a drink. Hostess came and got us in about 15 minutes. Went upstairs to the balcony overlooking the harbor. Beautiful sunset. Just perfect for a birthday celebration. Food was fantastic. Wine list was comprehensive. Had a wonderful time. Plus got a free dessert for the birthday celebration.Special Features:
- tj8746Dined on 8/21/2014we went with a group of 5 of us, our second time at the Newport location. The service was impeccable. Although crowded, we were seated right away. Johnny was our waiter and he was the best and we thoroughly enjoyed talking with him.The food was first rate. Always good is the bone in filet,cooked perfectly to order.The view of the bay is fabulous.The bar scene definitely vibrant and fun. we brought our own wine this time but the wine list has some really good choices. Needless to say, we had a fun time and will be back very soon.Special Features:
- Definitely worth the visit!ILoveLucyVIPDined on 8/19/2014This restuarant has been added to my favorite list. The restaurant is eye catching - the food will bring you back - and the water view is inviting. Be aware the restaurant is loud -lots of happy people enjoying good food and good friends. Try upstairs on the outdoor balancy if looking for a quiter dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- merely adequateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014Expected more after all the hype. Food was just ok, expected higher quality for the price. Dining room service was sharp. Had to press hostess for a nice table on a slow night when restaurant was 1/2 full and we had a reservation. Aggressive valet.
- Not a conversation $potOhmaDined on 8/17/2014Food and service were terrific, but we had difficulty hearing each other speak in our booth for two. $25 for a glass of wine, really?Special Features:
- Great ExperiencePregoDined on 8/15/2014This was our first visit since the location switched from the previous establishment. They definitely opened up the space to allow for better water view throughout the restaurant as well as did a lot of nice upgrade finishes throughout. When we first got there at 6:30 the noise level was fine, at some point they turned on music, which meant everyone started talking louder, and with the more crowded restaurant it wasn't nearly as pleasant. Maybe waiting until later in the evening for the music would be better. Granted we were there for two hours spending time catching up with friends. The food was great, and service really good. We were checked on often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clearly a favorite!BonBriVIPDined on 8/15/2014So glad The Winery opened in our neighborhood. Management has done a stellar job hiring professional wait staff who all make you feel welcome. The food is great, creative and well presented. The wine list is top flight!Special Features:
- Wine and Steak by the HarborPoz59VIPDined on 8/14/2014Started at the bar with a couple of cocktails. Mango martini was great. Not too sweet. Bartender was very attentive and would have stayed there to eat but for the business dinner table we had reserved. Venison chop special melted in your mouth, cooked perfectly medium rare. USDA prime steaks on the menu tender and juicy, properly cooked too. Great decor and superb view of Newport Harbor. Valet parking makes in and out convenient. Overall a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a special mealCMartfromORDined on 8/14/2014Very little to complain about here...the food was marvelous, and we sat near the windows overlooking the harbor. The wine list was impressive, not just because of the bottle count but because of the various varietals and international selections that you don't often find in a California restaurant. We were visited by the wine specialist/sommelier as well as the manager on duty that night...overall, we felt like they took good care of us. My only real concern is that during peak dinner hours (7-8:30ish), the restaurant can get a little loud. It is a vibrant place so you expect that a bit, but the food, ambience, and service made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need noise expertCruise2eatVIPDined on 8/13/2014Someone needs to figure out how to reduce the noise at the new Winery. Food was disappointing. Are they buying prime steaks? The upstairs patio is really the best place to dine if you do want to have a conversation.Special Features:
- very slow service and quite loudexpectedmoreDined on 8/10/2014We went here as a family to celebrate my adult son's birthday. There were 6 of us. The waiter was incredibly friendly and knowledgeable, however we waited for far too long for our food to arrive. The drinks came promptly though. It was nice to have time together talking while we waited (and waited....and waited), however because of the noise level in the restaurant, and being at a large round table to accommodate 6 people, we were forced to nearly yell over the din in order to hear each other. Food arrived at differing intervals which made it awkward to begin our meal (with 2 people still waiting to be served). On a brighter note, I did have a wonderful lamb dinner. My family members had mixed reviews on their meals.Special Features:
- Not what one expectsFoodieopinionDined on 8/9/2014Very disappointing meal. Lamb overcooked and when waiter informed we were told "This is our chef's medium". Well, their Chef does not meet the industry standard of medium cooked. It was overcooked. Brown inside to be exact. And although promised to be lean, it was fatty. Risotto side was like mashed potatoes. Waiter had an attitude. It was just a disappointment from the Tustin location. There are many other better restaurants in Newport and Laguna and at these prices one expects more.
- Review for WineryTonyVDined on 8/8/2014I had high hopes looking for to dining at the Winery. Very very disappointed it was loud, waiter read specials off his note pad, my girlfriend and I asked questions he couldn't answer. We ordered the Sea. Bass and it was dry and over cooked. Had to asked several times for things like water and coffee. I told the person I confirmed my reservation that it was my girlfriends birthday and they said it would be noted . To no avail . The total $150 plus I spent was very very disappointing
- Food & service were superiorAlanMDined on 8/7/2014Food, service, wine selection, and views are all superior. We had no less than six people checking on us to ensure that water was filled, food temperature was perfect, and wine glasses didn't go empty. My only negative comment would be the valet parking. When you're paying $250+ for a dinner for two, it seems a little cheap that they nickel you for parking. They made a big deal about getting the $6 parking fee up front which just seemed tacky.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiancefoodie4veggiesDined on 8/7/2014Dinner was lovely, the staff was very friendly and attentive. The sommelier was very knowledgeable and helpful! All in all a great place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular view of marinaPmacdVIPDined on 8/3/2014The place has a spectacular view of the marina and The food is very good. It was remodeled in 2012 and it is very nicely done. I recommend the place.Special Features:
- Great service. Problem kitchenElegantVIPDined on 8/3/2014Love the Winery in Tustin so hard to write about a bad experience at the Newport location. Our meals were served cold. Both main courses and the side of au gratin potatoes were barely above room temperature. We had to send everything back. Server was great and management quickly came over to apologize. Well handled. When the meals came back the fish dish was perfect, potatoes were better but my lamb was now well done. I didn't want to complain again, but my issue was not that it was too rare, it was cold. The lamb had great seasoning, but it was tough because it was now over cooked. Restaurant comp'd our wine which was appreciated, but I don't think I'll go back to the Newport location.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Excellent service, food and atmosphere. The Winery has outdone themselves on this one!!Special Features:
- HappycamperVIPDined on 8/3/2014Second time here and was a bit disappointed this time. Service by our waiter very slow and inconsistent. Other staff seemed much more attentive. Also shrimp on my dish was overlooked this time. Did not want to send back as was afraid I would never see my dinner again. Still very loud here and hard to converse when restaurant gets busy. Great view and generally good food, must have been an off night, but will try again.Special Features:
- fabulous for everything but noiseyAsh523VIPDined on 8/2/2014Loved the service, food, wine list,setting, beautifully decorated interior. Unfortunately, it is so loud, you can hardly hear the people sitting across the table from you. Takes the ambience way down.Special Features:
- Could have been better!CDMVSOPDined on 8/2/2014Quick review - Generally, the staff in the front of the house was courteous and accommodating. The cuisine I rate 6 out of 10. Unfortunately our service staff was untrained. Throughout the evening we had to inform our servers where to place each dish. Call me old fashioned but women should be served first - I could go on. My sense is that the service staff is trying to do a good job but falls way short, likely the result of inadequate training. I want to like the restaurant…we will see how it goes next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine listReggieDined on 8/1/2014That's why is called the Winery Restaurant after all!! Nice ambiance and location by the water.Special Features:
- Great food and winedibouDined on 7/30/2014My family went there for my husband's birthday. Our server, Christina, made us feel so special. The food was great and prepared in very creative ways. Our table was set back from the view in the back of the dining area - but even so, the view was quite nice. Great place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014It was our first time to The Winery on PCH in Newport Beach, and it won't be our last. The prices are reasonable, the food was very good. Wines are priced at 2.5 times retail, which is the only drawback. Nice view. Nice ambiance.Special Features:
- Excellent food, service and viewCDM24VIPDined on 7/29/2014The restaurant is beautifully situated on the Newport harbor. The scene is lively, the food is great, and the people watching was fabulous. Also had a chance to chat with one of the owners who was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.