The Wine Cellar
30 Massachusetts Ave.
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
FonduePrice: $30 and under
The Wine Cellar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bostoncellar.com/
- Phone: 617-236-0080x
- Hours of Operation:
WE ARE CLOSED.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue, European, French
- Executive Chef: Thierry Charles
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate private party up to 40 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Thierry Charles 6172360080x
- Special Events: TELEPHONE RESERVATIONS ONLY FOR LIVING SOCIAL, GILT CITY, & GROUPON CUSTOMERS. NO OPENTABLE RESERVATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. NO DISCOUNTS OR ANY TYPE OF PROMOTION VALID DURING BRUNCH.
A word from The Wine Cellar
WE ARE CLOSEDContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Wine Cellar reviews from OpenTable diners
- Over rated and not very goodRickVIPDined on 3/17/2013We took our Mom here for her 74th birthday. What a mistake. Parking is nigh on impossible and there is no valet parking. We went on a Sunday thinking it would be easy to park. Sorely disappointed in this place. Food was late, delivered lukewarm, staff was inattentive. Ambiance was terrible. Place looks like a homeless shelter.
- The food was incredible.KatyDined on 8/23/2012The food was incredible. We had the cheese fondue for a starter, I had lamb chops for my main, my friend had the steak and we had chocolate fondue for dessert. The food was fresh and prepared perfectly. The atmosphere is quiet and romantic but you could go with a group of friends and be perfectly happy. The wait staff was friendly and knowledgeable. The wine list had a great range as well.Special Features:
- Excellent food and excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2012Excellent food and excellent service! The perfect date restaurant.Special Features:
- First time getting fondue.AnthonyDined on 3/28/2012First time getting fondue. It was excellent. I would definitely go here again.Special Features:
- The owner is rude, unaccommodatingZachVIPDined on 3/24/2012The proprietor of this restaurant has the most ludicrous seating policy I've ever encountered. We had a 7:15 p.m. reservation, and he stashed our party of two in the far corner of the room near an uncomfortably narrow passageway to the kitchen. He passed several open tables to seat us in this terrible spot; when we asked to move, he flat-out refused and explained some sort of weird rotisserie system he uses to seat people according to when they arrive, and when the next reservation is booked. He was extremely condescending to us. When he came back to check on the food, we told him it was good (it was), and he said "See? Everything's OK!" like he was speaking to two toddlers. We won't go back.
- Great Romantic RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2012Want a happy ending? Then begin here. Great place to take that special someone. everything served at the right pace. Very knowledgeable staff to help you with your wine selection. The portion sizes look small but I could not finish my meal. I'm a Five Guy 2 burger type of guy. Take the T if the Red Soxs are playing it is very difficult to find a parking spot.Special Features:
- Food and service was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/10/2012Food and service was great. We tried the crazy french (alligator, ostrich, rabbit), and we love it it. We were stuffed after the cheese and the entrees. We should've save room for their chocolate fondue.Special Features:
- this was our second time atOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/6/2012this was our second time at this restaurant with a group of friend. Food was fresh and excellent and very attentive service. Our water glass was always filled. Thierry, the owner was very funny and friendly. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- This is a fun restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/5/2012This is a fun restaurant. Fondue is a very intractive way to dine. The waitress was very friendly, attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- This is a small and cozy restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2011This is a small and cozy restaurant. Food was delicious and service was great. We opted for the Indulgence for two and this was more than enough food for us.Special Features:
- Love the food, service andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2011Love the food, service and ambiance. Great energy!!Special Features:
- Wine Cellar is so much betterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2011Wine Cellar is so much better than the melting pot!Special Features:
- I bought a buywithme for theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2011I bought a buywithme for the wine cellar. The grand cheese prix fixe was so much food (10 courses). Wine Cellar is so much better than the melting pot.Special Features:
- Was not impressed with theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2011Was not impressed with the quality of the food for the price. Will not be coming back.
- I never thought cooking yourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2011I never thought cooking your own food was fun. Cheese fondue was delicious and make sure you save room for the chocolate fondue!Special Features:
- Definitely one of my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2011Definitely one of my favorite restaurant in Boston. Everything was delicious. The staff was very friendly and super attentive!Special Features:
- I was very excited to tryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2011I was very excited to try The Wine Cellar. It was restaurant week, good pricing for dinner and an enticing menu. The reviews called it THE most romantic restaurant in Boston. It was as romantic as a high school cafeteria! Loud, bright, and uncomfortably warm. We almost got up and left upon being seated. We had reservations and made them aware it was for a special birthday dinner. No one made mention of the birthday or did anything to aknowledge it. The wine list was very limited for the name "Wine Cellar" Our server did recommend a good wine after our inquiry($50). Except for the charming mural on the wall it lacked ambiance. It's very small and crowded. Hardly a spot for a romantic dinner. Food was good thankfully. Not special at all
- The food was delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2011The food was delicious and they gave us complimentary sparkling wine due to the celebration of restaurant week.Special Features:
- Great night~OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2011Overall, a very nice dinner! Restaurant is small and intimate, but made it noisy and took away from the romantic vibe-but that was nice, it was nice having people around and see everyone having a nice meal.Special Features:
- This small restaurant is boomingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2011This small restaurant is booming with energy. The food was delicious and the service was good. The owner was there and very involved in the experience. Although they had a good wine list, they did not have beer or liquor. I did not miss it though because there were many options on the list. Just a little warning... it is a small restaurant, big groups may be an issue and dress light. The steam from the fondue pots were overwhelming on the hot summer night but we also had one for every course.Special Features:
- Back Bay Hidden Gem...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/25/2011Used a gift certificate and hope someone gives me one again! Def a special occasion spot to meet with friends and catch up. Restaurant Week menu significantly helped the total! Complimentary glass of champagne was a nice touch.Special Features:
- Had a wonderful dinner duringOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2011Had a wonderful dinner during restaurant week - a hidden gem in Back Bay. Will definately come back for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Thank you for a great night!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2011I am glad we went here for restaurant. There were a lot of options for everyone. The cheese fondue and chocolate fondue was wonderful. Yummy! They surprised us with complimentary glass of champagne a $50 gift certificate (toward their $150 tasting menu). Everything was perfect from the food to the service to the ambiance. Thank you wine cellar for a great night.Special Features:
- The food and staff were sensationalsbyrnesDined on 8/23/2011The food and staff were sensational!!! I would recommend to anyone!Special Features:
- Great Service and Wonderful dishes!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2011When we arrived the noise level was very low, but there were only a few tables occupied. As the room filled the noise level increased. We think the increase was due to one table and then everyone around had to increase their volume in order to be heard. Still not loud enough to be a problem to us. The service was spot on and the food was terrific. We will be back.Special Features:
- One of my favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2011One of my favorite restaurant in Boston! This is a classy fondue place and fondue is so much fondue and interactive way to dine. Much better than the melting pot.Special Features:
- Went there for RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2011Went there for Restaurant Week last night and was pleasantly surprised. The place is very small but I liked that. It made it more intimate and romantic. The fact that they had my favorite wine on the menu – Delta Pinot Noir -- won me over. The food was great and the servers were extremely attentive. My boyfriend and I chatted a bit with the owner and he told us about special wine dinners he has each month and added us to the contact list. We will definitely be back for those. He seemed very knowledgeable about wine and wanted to make sure we were very happy with our meal and experience there. Back Bay has so many overcrowded "popular" restaurants that aren't all they are cracked up to be. I much rather go back to a place like the Wine CellaSpecial Features:
- The food was good, but nothingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2011The food was good, but nothing particularly special. If it weren't for restaurant week's fixed price menu, it wouldn't be worth it.Special Features:
- The restaurant descriptionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2011The restaurant description on Open Table did not reflect the experience. The restaurant is in a basement, it's tiny with very little privacy - certainly not a romantic experience. Food was good, but the restaurant lacks ambiance. If you are up for a 2 star experience, you'll like it.
- We went for my birthday, andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2011We went for my birthday, and I couldn't have chosen a more perfect place. Everything was perfect!Special Features:
- The wine cellar really takesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2011The wine cellar really takes care of their customers. Thierry is amazing and the service staff was delightful. Romantic atmosphere and perfect for dates.Special Features:
- Great wine, great food, Thierry,YuriyGVIPDined on 8/19/2011Great wine, great food, Thierry, the chef, is very accommodating, as is the whole staff. We had a loud and annoying table sitting near us, which made the noise level a lot higher, before that it was perfectly normal. Definitely worth visiting and enjoying! :)Special Features:
- Everything was amazing fromOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/18/2011Everything was amazing from food to service. What a great find!!!Special Features:
- Risky RomanceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/17/2011The Restaurant Week menu was terribly confusing, made worse by a waiter who could barely articulate the menu. While the web site listed many wonderful sounding options the restaurant had a tiny and strict Restaurant Week menu and seemed unwilling or unable to accommodate a party of three, apparently having prepared a menu for couples. The waiter dropped several dipping sauces onto our table, cursed about having done it, and then spent an inordinate amount of time wiping the tablecloth, preventing us from eating. While the food was fine, the waiter offered no explanation of how to cook our beef, chicken, and shrimp in the fondue. Left to our own devices, we were a nervous table eating meat we weren't sure was properly cooked.Special Features:
- This is my first time withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2011This is my first time with fondue and at this restaurant. Everything was delicious and fondue is really fun.Special Features:
- A very small and crowded space,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2011A very small and crowded space, but the food is delicious.Special Features:
- We went for restaurant week.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2011We went for restaurant week. Great food and services! Love the chocolate fondue!Special Features:
- We had dinner here last nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2011We had dinner here last night during their restaurant week. There were a lot of options for appetizers, entrees, and desserts. Food and service was excellent. They even surprised us with complimentary glass of champagne and a $50 voucher for our next visit.Special Features:
- fantastic service and atmosphere,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/12/2011fantastic service and atmosphere, great food. would absolutely go back againSpecial Features:
- Absolutely wonderful service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2011Absolutely wonderful service!! I'm so glad we decided to come down to plymouth to eat there. The food was excellent and in perfect small portions :)Special Features: