The Wine Bar & Restaurant
40 First Avenue
Atlantic Highlands, NJ 07716Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Wine Bar & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ahwinebar.com/
- Phone: 7322911377
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday - Saturday: 6:00pm - close We are also available for private parties on Sunday through Wednesday, as well as Saturday afternoons
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Brian Imbriale
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The Wine Bar offers a wide variety of menu options that we can cater off-site. From traditional dishes, to more elaborate selections, The Wine Bar can accommodate all of your catering needs, including staffing, setup, etc. Please contact Courtney Rosa at 732.291.1377 for more information on how we can help you with your next event!
- Private Party Facilities: private dining is available at the wine bar for small intimate dinner parties and for parties of up to 130 people. specializing in bridal and baby showers, the wine bar"s open floor plan is ideal for a private luncheon in our dining room, and retreating back into our lounge for the opening of presents. for rehearsal dinners, weddings, birthday parties, communions, sweet sixteens, bar/batmitzvahs, or any occasion, the wine bar can help you to customize your menu. utilize our traditional party package options, or we can sit down with our chef and specifically create an exclusive menu solely for your party. perhaps you'd like a specialty cocktail for all of your guests upon arriving, or an elaborate venetian table, or maybe just a small private five course wine dinner for two, there is no request that we would not consider. contact us today to start putting together the package that's right for you.
- Private Party Contact: courtney rosa 7322911377
- Entertainment: The Wine Bar hosts live entertainment of all genres. From a lovely pianist or our house music through our dinner hour, to some lively jazz, and even some blues, there is always a nice feel at The Wine Bar, where music sets the tone. Call ahead to find out our upcoming entertainment schedule or check our website to see if your favorite will be joining us.
- Special Events: February offers half price bottles in the dining room on Thursday evenings- this excludes holidays, and can not be combined with any other discount or coupon.
- Public Transit: The Wine Bar is located just one block from the Sea Streak Ferry.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Located on First Avenue, there is ample parking available. The Harborside Grill has a lot that our guests can utilize, or there are public lots located on Bay Avenue directly behind the Hesse building. Street parking is also an option. ***Please be sure to use the number "1st" Avenue if using a GPS system, as some models do not bring you to the correct location. Feel free to call The Wine Bar for directions if you have any trouble at all.
A word from The Wine Bar & Restaurant
The Wine Bar is New Jersey's hottest new wine bar and restaurant. With an exciting wine list that features smaller estate wines, some great exclusive wines, and always great value wines, The Wine Bar has taken the traditional wine list to a whole new level. In addition to the spectacular wine list, The Wine Bar boasts a full bar with quality liquors and hand-crafted cocktails and martinis. But what better way to enjoy incredible drinks than with an equally impressive dinner menu. With only the freshest ingredients, The Wine Bar is offering seasonal menu changes and daily additions that are sure to please. Whether grabbing a bite in our beautiful lounge from the tempting tapas menu, to our full dinner menu in the exquisite dining room, The Wine Bar has something for everyone as atlantic highland's hottest new destination!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Wine Bar & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Atlantic Highlands ›
The Wine Bar & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
romantic (23)special occasion (19)neighborhood gem (17)notable wine list (15)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (7)late-night find (7)scenic view (5)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- neighborhood gemfamilydiningDined on 8/9/2014Had a great time on saturday our server was attentive and helpful, our Appetizers were the perfect and delish. Oue entrees were fresh with seasonal ingredients. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- A new favoriteUpforaGoodMealDined on 8/2/2014Excellent food. Attentive staff. Ecclectic wine list. Nice atmosphere. Upscale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Staffdmb1983Dined on 7/25/2014I booked a dinner reservation for my fiancés birthday. I had requested am intimate table. The staff could not have been nicer. The food was fabulous. Every staff member paid attention to detail and asked us frequently if everything was ok. I would highly recommend this restaurant and we will return soon. Thank you again for making my fiancés bday extra special!Special Features:
- Nice night outNickyGoldDined on 7/19/2014Cocktails were very good, but a bit over priced. The food was very good. I had the octopus salad, very good selection.my friends fish was a bit undercooked.other wise, everything was pretty good. Unfortunately, we felt like we were being rushed, never really had a relaxed feeling. All in all, would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VINOVIPDined on 7/18/2014Very nice atmosphere, they had lovely piano music that played in the bar area that was not too loud. We were able to hold a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FIND!!!NotHappyVIPDined on 7/12/2014Classy, upscale establishment with attention to detail. I will return!! The only (minor) complaint was that I had to "settle" for my 3rd wine choice.Special Features:
- Shall returnGLNCDined on 7/12/2014First time here, enjoyed our meal. The waitress was nice. The food was delicious but a little salty for me. Our first and second choice of wine are not available but waitress recommended a decent one. The restaurant's atmosphere is very nice. Feels like Soho. Very enjoyable night especially with the jazz music and great companion. :-) Will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!JenseatsVIPDined on 7/12/2014We dined at WB for a family birthday celebration. We had cocktails, tapas, entrees & dessert. Cocktails were all excellent, & mojitos were muddled! Would love to see some new ones added or a specialty libation. The fillet looked really good this time & I liked the sides paired with it now. Caesar salad is always amazing! Can I please get the recipe? Had the sausage broccoli rabe, outstanding entree! It's so good that I always get it. Lamb chops got rave reviews. Service is always outstanding here. The server even added some huge sparkler to the dessert since we had a birthday. Although I wouldn't say it is a place for kids, my nephew came along & they did have a high chair & were very accommodating with food options. Many thanks!Special Features:
- great spotPd077Dined on 6/28/2014second time there, and the only words are great time again, service was excellent, as was the meals ,cant wait for next visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wine barOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/28/2014We had the most enjoyable experience. We sat at the bar and wine and appetizers - salmon taco, tomato bruschetta and scallops over lobster risotto. Each one was better than the next. AND there was a young pianist who not only played beautifully but sang like a "young Josh Grobin"!!! There is a large room for the bar and many furniture groupings and large windows all around along with a separate dining room. It is an older crowd so it is basically on the quieter plus music. Highly recommend!!!Special Features:
- JackDined on 6/28/2014Very pleasant atmosphere, service was good as well as the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dining Gem in Atlantic HighlandsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014This is an upscale gem of a restaurant located above the Harborside Grill. The Rocket Arugula salad was so flavorful - the arugula young and 'just right'. There was perfect harmony among the apples, pecans, roquefort, and red onions with the salad dressing. This was followed with the main course: Broccoli Rabe and Sausage. Again, a flavorful dish, especially the sausage which was spicy and grilled, and worked well with the cannellini beans, pasta, broccoli rabe, and slices of pecorino. Red wine accompanied the meal nicely. The service was excellent! They also had live music, a pianist playing cocktail music in the lounge section of the restaurant. This was a pleasant experience and we will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food and serviceNocookingVIPDined on 6/21/2014we all had a delicious meal. waitress was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near ‘speakeasy’ type entrance : )MarkWDined on 6/14/2014Were warmly welcomed & took stairs up to an open air lounge, Sat nite. Dining area smaller than expected, but quiet, clean & secluded behind partition curtain. Immediately seated. Our server was friendly & efficient. Ordered salad apps, then main dish. Both took awhile to come out even though restaurant only 1/2 full. Lounge area had live music, drinks were spot on. Other than the pork dish (wonderful), none of the other dishes were overly surprising. Would recommend as a nice romantic event. Nice 2nd floor views & marina in walking distance. Restaurant & bar bacame busy before too long w/noise level in line with music & conversations. We've no issue returning to sample other meals. There’s a private lot, w/ plenty of street parking too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Wine BarJenseatsVIPDined on 6/7/2014We have been to the Wine Bar quite a few times this year, and it's a frequent date night spot for us. We also have an upcoming birthday celebration planned here in a few weeks with our whole family. We love the Tapas menu! Other dishes we love are the Caesar salad (outstanding, and not traditional), the sausage and broccoli rabe, and the seasonal soups. Had the fillet mignon one time and it was good but not as flavorful as many of their other dishes. Desserts could use some more flare. I'd suggest something pretzel crusted with caramel, as the sweet/savory desserts seems to be big these days. That and a bourbon raison (New Orleans) bread pudding. My husband is obsessed w/ the bacon wrapped dates. Highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phoenix2VIPDined on 5/17/2014The Wine Bar & Restaurant continues to be one of the best fine-dining experiences in Central New JerseySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not my first time/won't be my lastMikeDined on 5/3/2014I think my "star" ratings above sum it up nicely. I shall return for dinner another evening. Using on the line reservation option is an easy way to select a time & table for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 169 reviews are from the The Wine Bar & Restaurant reviews archive.
- Perfect Place for me and my ladyTheDesigner13Dined on 4/19/2014We found the perfect place away from the kids, it’s romantic, up front they have music, light dancing, and the food is really great, wine list a nice mix. The service is outstanding no pressure at all, just the kind place you want to return to over and over again. Also it one block from the water.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsJeffDined on 4/4/2014I love this place - the food is always perfect (I've never had a better Filet) and the service is always incredible (thank you, Sandra!) Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceFoodie17Dined on 3/28/2014My wife and I went to Wine Bar last Friday for the first time. Everything was great. We got there a little early before our reservation and we enjoyed a drink in the lounge area. The drink menu had some creative choices. The piano player is a nice touch that is not seen to often in the area. Dinner was great. My wife has a gluten allergy and the waiter was very knowledgable and attentive. Overall everything was great from apps to dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousMMKKDined on 3/15/2014Great food. Excellent atmosphere. Friendly and not too loud. Everything you want for a nice dinner out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must dine restaurant wheneverPhoenix2VIPDined on 3/14/2014A must dine restaurant whenever you get in the area. It has not failed in the 4 times we dined there in past18 months.Special Features:
- Nice SurpriseDannyDined on 3/8/2014This is a nice gem, a little bit of NY feel to it. The waiters and waitresses were really great and NOT snooty like most wine bars. I mentioned to the waitress that we wanted to take our time eating and not be in and out in 45 minutes (most restaurants tend to rush you) the waitress was great she paced out our food and we were able to relax, eat, talk and have a nice bottle of wine. I had the Octopus salad and it was very good, nice flavor, nice portion. My entree was the Lamb cooked perfectly, dessert was a little tough for me as I am allergic to nuts but the overall experience was delightful and I would come back hereSpecial Features:
- Could be BetterEricVIPDined on 3/8/2014Dined here on a Saturday. The service is very good and our server helped select a wine for dinner. The wine list had many wines I didn't recognize. But the selection recommended to us was good. The food was disappointing and overpriced. Thought the entrees were over sauced, reminded me of wedding food. We will come back for the bar area & order appetizers, but not for dinner. The decor is very nice and the entertainment was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindRedwingsDined on 3/7/2014We had never been to the Wine Bar and decided to try it for a special occasion birthday . We were pleasantly surprised! Food was excellent as was the service. They did not rush us perhaps partially because it was not very busy even though it was a Friday night. The food presentation was that of a fine restaurant. All of the fish was very fresh and the Caesar salad was the best I have ever had. Piano player really added to the ambiance. Look forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulAmm1547Dined on 2/22/2014The entire experience was wonderful. We will be back! The food was incredible and so was the service. We don't get to go out to dinner often with our busy schedules, but this reminded us how important it is to take some time to enjoy yourself a little bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistant but goodJerseyBoysDined on 2/15/2014Service was good and friendly but...It was so dark you can barely read the menu. Overpriced and over hyped for what you get. Food is inconsistant but very good and menu is limited. Ordered meat medium and it came out almost completely raw, sent it back and it returned with half of my veggies missing. We were more satsified the first time we ate there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DEFINITELY RETURNINGOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Pleasantly surprised with the food!!! Usually great ambiance venues tend to lack a bit in the food department, this place had it all. Great live music in the background, great food and love the bar lounge area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Date SpotvisitingfromNJDined on 2/8/2014Treat your lady to a nice night out. Food is excellent -- small menu that focuses on their specialties. Great to just come up to the lounge area, relax on the couch and enjoy a fantastic wine menu. Can get a little noisy, but otherwise a top-notch location.Special Features:
- Excellent eveningSerena517Dined on 2/7/2014We will definitely be back. The food was outstanding, with a great selection for any palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have had better hereJCDineDined on 1/18/2014Honestly I've dined at the wine bar a hand full of times. This time it was just ok. There was a party. It was very loud. The appetizer was good. My dinner, the scallops dish was ok. Didn't like how it was presented. Scallops lacked flavor and were only seared on one side. Rissotto was good. Dessert was the best. Toll house cookie in a skillet. Can't mess that up. Not sure I'll go back for dinner. Maybe drinks and tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/17/2014Surprisingly upscale, yet relaxed place for either long leisurely drinks and small plates, or dinner. Liked the live piano. Will go back regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the AtmospheremichDined on 1/11/2014Great Saturday night restaurant! Great food, great atmosphere, attentive staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/11/2014We wanted to try something new and found The Wine Bar. We were very pleased the moment we stepped in- the hostess was very cordial with a beaming smile, the restaurant decor was trendy without being overdone, noise level was acceptable, seating was very comfortable, service was 'on-spot', and most importantly, the food was prepared perfectly and was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, sloooow serviceLeeADined on 1/4/2014We felt quite fortunate to secure a reservation only a day in advance. The place is very attractive, once you find it. It is located right on top of the Harborside, both having the same address. We were seated by a very courteous staff and water and oil came quickly. Then the wait began. It took quite some time for the bread to arrive, and quite some time to give our drink orders (from a nice selection of wines by the glass), quite some time to give our dinner orders, and even longer to get dinner. All in all we were there over 3 hours, way too long in my opinion. I had the filet mignon and it was excellent, served over spinach and with fingerling potatoes. for desert, I had the apple crumb tart and it was delicious. Just took too long.Special Features:
- First time but not the last timeRichBVIPDined on 12/21/2013Never looked up walking on this street thus had missed this gem. First time visit and was quite impressed with the lounge layout, yhe interesting tapas menu and the friendly servers. Would definitely recommend and we are going back!Special Features:
- Loved it!RacketbobVIPDined on 11/23/2013Wonderful food, atmosphere and service. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were a group of four andCherDined on 11/9/2013We were a group of four and we all enjoyed our appertizers and our entrees . We will definitely go back .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another visitPhoenix2VIPDined on 11/2/2013Once again the dining experience was memorable. The chef is outstanding, preparations were unique ands tasty, service was attentive but not intrusive. A must visit when coming down to the Jersey Shore.Special Features:
- Great mealGbgbDined on 11/1/2013Terrific restaurant that has been surprisingly empty the few times we have been. Great food with reasonable sized portions. Live music ..piano...added to the already sophisticated ambiance. I think the 2nd floor location puts people off but it well worth a trip upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.