1001 N Winchester
Chicago, IL 60622Neighborhood:
Bucktown / Wicker Park
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://winchesterchicago.com/
- Phone: 7736988703
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Greg Bastien
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Winchester
The Winchester is a neighborhood cafe and restaurant offering casual all day dining in an environment that is bright and inviting. Our approach is to offer quality, simple and fresh food with service that is thoughtful and honest. The Winchester offers breakfast, lunch, dinner and weekend brunch. All daily specials and menu offerings reflect the seasons.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Winchester - Best Restaurants in Bucktown / Wicker Park ›
The Winchester reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (15)great for outdoor dining (12)hot spot (7)romantic (7)good for groups (6)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (3)special occasion (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- A GREAT Neighborhood Spot!NeighborhoodFoodieDined on 9/19/2014We had a wonderful meal at The Winchester! Mmm, we'll be back for another enjoyable meal soon!!Special Features:
- Straightforward yummy American fairKatMarieVIPDined on 9/19/2014Went here on a Friday with two of my girlfriends that are equally as foodie as myself and we all were blown away by the quality of the food! Though the outside of the restaurant is unassuming, the food is fantastic. We got an appetizer - the mussels - delicious, we were literally lapping up the broth and shared 3 entrees - chicken with brussel sprouts, pot roast, and cod with cauliflower. All were delicious with decent portions. The chicken was juicy and perfectly seasoned, the pot roast was melt in your mouth tender, and the cod was light and flavorful. We couldn't pick our favorite, we liked them all that much. Will definitely recommend to others!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Limited menu but interesting dishes--definitely worth a try.Special Features:
- Every bite...mlpk625Dined on 9/12/2014Was so tasty! Fresh tasting and pleasant portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit bafflingPlevaviDined on 9/6/2014I consider myself a bit of a foodie, but was somewhat disappointed. I needed to consult google several times to decipher the menu. The server was relatively new (three months) but could not explain the menu. The choices are not great for vegetarians, despite it being harvest season and the claim that this is one of the ubiquitous farm to table restaurants. The most befuddling was the cocktail menu, listing a number of drinks that made no sense, and carried less appeal. When the waitress suggested a more standard drink, an old fashioned, I was charged a premium because it wasn't on the menu! In all, I was not surprised that the restaurant wasn't half full at 8pm on a Saturday night. My only surprise is the rave reviews in Chicago Mag.Special Features:
- Strange Beyond HipJustDessertsVIPDined on 9/6/2014Lodged on a simple street corner in Ukranian Village, The Winchester, was a disappointment mostly in it's oddnesses. Left to the explanations of an uncaring and disaffectcted waitress and with little help from management, the were no answers for why only 3 slices of dry baguette at a time for 6 diners; or interminably long waits for food to be produced both to start and between courses; and for presenting the table with the wrong bill at the (merciful) end. The food itself was uneven, eg delicious and creative squash stir fry and dinner salad, unbearably salty pasta and meatball dish, etc. A small piece of a heavy frosted waffle-like confection was offered as an apology for some of the disagreeable parts of the experience. Quiet/not comfy.Special Features:
- Delicious Food - Ok ServiceAlliVIPDined on 8/29/2014Great food, easy for sharing. Wasn't impressed with the service as they were over attentive - trying to remove our plates and water glasses before we were ready.Special Features:
- Decent food, loud venueCrazy4goodsvcDined on 8/22/2014The servers were low key, but polite. The attentiveness seemed appropriate to this sort of restaurant. The room is acoustically resonant so even at 1/3 full, it was ear-splittingly loud. There was also some extraordinarily repetitive music with a bass line that I heard at least 250 times before it changed even a little. I had the "revolving punch" - a gin punch that was refreshing, although not life-changing. I tried the meatloaf, a clever twist on an old classic. Maybe too clever. The fennel, crispy onions, and sliced potatoes were marred for me by heavy-handedness with the salt, and the true nature of the meatloaf cloaked in a dominating ketchupy BBQ sauce. Not the worst of my life, but I had hoped for something a little more exciting.Special Features:
- Great Casual Dining SpotchitravelerDined on 8/15/2014Had a nice dinner with my fiancé at The Winchester. We sat outside on the patio, which was very intimate and cozy. The cocktail I had was very refreshing, perfect for a warm summer night. The food was a pleasant spin on comfort food. I had the bucatini and meatballs and my fiancé had the meatloaf. Both were a bit different than what I'm used to, but delicious and I would definitely recommend the Winchester to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Real noisy.AugieDined on 7/26/2014Although the food was good, we could hardly hear our friends across the table. This nite the kitchen was also a bit slow and it seemed our server was overworked - it took awhile for the food to arrive. If it's a nice evening, eat outside - the traffic is quieter than the din in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UndecidedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014I had been waiting to The Winchester since it's in the neighborhood, it seems as if all of the hot spots are either in River North or Logan Square. So again I was very excited. The food was good and the service started out great because we arrived prior to the crowd however our server seemed to be the only server in our room. We had to ask for refills on drinks more than once, we had ask for our bill and our plates had been cleared off our table for about 10 minutes. I would definitely give it another shot however I do not believe The Winchester is prepared in terms of service at least the subtle nuances have not been mastered.Special Features:
- Slightly DisappointedCQN1985Dined on 7/17/2014I was very excited to try Winchester after reading about it on Chicago Magazine. The environment was very relaxing and the server was very wonderful. The food however was very basic and overpriced. My friend & I ordered the Fish for $21 which was small with no side, the Mussels for $15 and a very plain side of vegetables for another $8. We each had a $10 glass of Reisling which was poured as a half glass at best. Overall I would say the hype for the place is not over dinner and maybe the breakfast is better.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/14/2014I was really looking forward to the Winchester. While the staff was friendly and it was a lovely night to sit outside, the food was average (a trout that didn't have much taste or certainly not much that tasted very interesting) to below average (meatloaf that seemed to be intentionally broiled after slicing...but it really wasn't working for us. It just tasted like someone's mom decided to warm up dinner from a few nights ago and left it too long in the broiler with ketchup on top). Again, lovely staff. Maybe it was a (very) off night.
- The following 3 reviews are from the The Winchester reviews archive.
- Neighborhood gemBluesboyVIPDined on 5/23/2014This place is such a great addition to the neighborhood and the food and service were just terrific. We had the chicken and meatloaf for entrees and the waffle for dessert. The cocktails were also good and very interesting. I'd highly recommend this place and will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still some kinks, but worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/17/2014Our experience was overall pretty good. My wife's steak came out a bit too medium rare for her tastes. They took it back to the kitchen and cooked it some more, but then it came out very soggy. The staff was very apologetic and comped the steak and gave us a bonus dessert. We are happy with how they handled the situation, a true example of good restaurant hospitality! We will definitely go again :)Special Features:
- perched on a stoolOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/15/2014The food at The Winchester was very good, but the seating left much to be desired.Special Features: