The Wild Orchid Cafe
200 Westgate Circle #104
Annapolis, MD 21401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Wild Orchid Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thewildorchidcafe.com/
- Phone: 4102688009
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Jim Wilder
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Wild Orchid Catering, formally Companys Coming Inc., has been servicing the Chesapeake Region since 1990 and has garnered a reputation for creating mouth-watering fare, artfully presented. Whether you are hosting an intimate gathering or a corporate affair, we bring our passion for culinary excellence to the table and match it to your vision of the perfect party. Combining the essentials of Southern style hospitality with the expert talents of the region's best chefs The Wild Orchid catering division is perfectly situated to service all your business, community, or personal needs.
- Private Party Facilities: You'll be living local! Whether your event is personal or professional, an intimate dinner or a lively reception, every guest will leave The Wild Orchid feeling a new connection to the Chesapeake spirit of Annapolis dining. Decor is distinctively Uptown, and cuisine is delightfully Wild Orchid. Main Dining Room The Wild Orchid's Main Dining Room is an option for larger groups. Enjoy the show from the open kitchen, beautiful decor, and start your event with appetizers and cocktails in the granite floored bank lobby. The Blue Crab Room accommodates 60 guests for a seated dinner, 75 to 80 for receptions. Featuring all the AV equipment including drop down screen, Internet connections and ceiling projector with cable tv and audio. Begin your event with cocktails and appetizers on our outdoor bistro weather permitting. Chesapeake Room can accommodate 25 guests for a seated dinner. Overlook our kitchen and West Street. Also, fully equipped with Internet etc.
- Private Party Contact: Meghan Milliken 4102687656
- Entertainment: Join us at night for live jazz music while you dine!
- Cross Street: West St./Spa Rd.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Our property is connected to The Severn Bank Building on Westgate Circle offering 2-3 levels of private, free, covered levels of secure parking. Full time security guards are on duty throughout our restaurants opening hours.
A word from The Wild Orchid Cafe
Welcome to pure and local food at The Wild Orchid Cafe and Catering in Annapolis, Maryland. Owners Chef Jim Wilder and Karen Wilder want you to feel at home and become a part of the ever growing family of friends, staff and fine food and wine vendors. Originally located in Eastport for 16 years The Wild Orchid made the transition to the Downtown Annapolis Arts District at Westgate Circle to service their community better offering comfortable large dining areas, a top chef kitchen and 2 large group private dining areas. The biggest change is the full service lounge offering happy hour and daily specials and a fully secured free covered parking garage. Our menu is fresh, hearty and Local, featuring regional favorites, steaks, game and fresh seafood all prepared with the famous Wild Orchid artistry. We're also known for our award-winning wine selection and irresistible desserts. And don't miss the Wild Orchid Lounge, on its way to becoming one of the areas favorite watering holes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Wild Orchid Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
- Reservations made------ CancelledSyl65Dined on 7/24/2013I stayed in Annapolis, last week.....Made plans to come to the wild orchi d Received call on 7/21 indicating that they had lost their lease.... It is difficult to rate what was not experienced
- Last mealSueRDined on 7/21/2013Four of us had dinner. We were shocked to find that we may have been Wild Orchid's final patrons (7:30 reservation). It closed after our evening. apparently a dental office is coming in at greater rent. The location is not a good one for a restaurant although there is parking in the building. It will be missed.
- Just okayBr33zyDined on 7/21/2013Food was okay but was way overpriced. I didn't feel like I got my money's worth but the food was good, nothing amazingSpecial Features:
- Good Food, Bad ServiceDanserDined on 7/20/2013My husband and I dined there this past weekend. When we first arrived, we were not pleasantly greeted by the hostess who looked like she was dressed for a day hanging out with friends. She shuffled in her flip flops to the table. Our server did come immediately to order our drinks and brought them out to us but we rarely saw her the rest of the evening. Another guy brought us our dinner and took our empty plates. My husband needed a refill on his drink but she and the order staff ignored the empty glass. Once we finished our dinner, we paid the check and left. We didn't bother to stay for dessert.Special Features:
- VERY DISAPPOINTING!FingerLakesgalVIPDined on 7/20/2013Expensive for what we got. No wine list. Server barely knew what types of whites and reds they had and did not know the wineries for any of them. While the entrees were ok, the soup was awful. Salads were probably the highlight of the meal. Server brought the soup before the appetizer. Lest it seem the server was the problem, she actually was very nice. It was a combination of factors that make this restaurant one we will never return to or recommend.
- Good food and a good atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2013I really enjoy the food at The Wild Orchid, and the drinks are generally very good as well. The service is generally prompt without feeling rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We don't have that...lawngnomeVIPDined on 7/17/2013I guess we were a little disappointed. We had heard good things so maybe this skewed our expectations, especially compared what we expect from other Annapolis/DC restaurants. We went on a Wednesday night (for our anniversary) which I know is also not a big night for restaurants, but there was a fair amount of people. When I asked for the specials we were told they didn't have any, even thought "Daily Special" is in bold, the largest listing at the top of their entree menu. When I asked for a drink/wine menu I was also told they didn't have one. The food was enjoyable but nothing spectacular and the ambiance gave the feel of a nicer hotel restaurant. Maybe we just went on an off night, so here's hoping. We may try again, some day.Special Features:
- Great local foodElegant1VIPDined on 7/6/2013Good healthy food that tastes home cooked. Very fresh. You can tell that the food is fresh from local farms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodTamiDined on 7/5/2013Great service. No complaints on the food. A very noisy group of diners nearby is the only thing I would have changed. Would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was ok. Probably theJeffDined on 7/5/2013Food was ok. Probably the most underwhelming $60.00 dinner we have had in a long time.
- Glad we found this placeCalinMDVIPDined on 7/5/2013Being tourists in Annapolis, we turned to Open Table to find a restaurant for dinner. This place was not near the water, but it was well worth the drive. I assume the restaurant is busier during lunchtime when the businesses are open--the area looked deserted from the outside, but once inside it didn't matter. The waitress was friendly and knowledgeable. Her recommendations were spot on. The pork and scallops were amazing, as was dessert. Beware the kids grilled cheese, though--it's made with gouda, which was too fancy for my little one. They promptly comped this, though. We would definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great leisurely lunchnicknamefieldDined on 6/27/2013Whatever else the lunch menu offers, I have to get a wild orchid salad: the mixture of greens, strawberries and bleu cheese with their flavorful vinaigrette dressing is unbeatable. Their crab cake sandwich was especially good today, although I still think there is too much bun, proportionately, so I eat it open face. Outside was a bit breezy, but well shaded, so sunburn was not an issue. The crape myrtles are lovely and fragrant and make for a delightful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy and comfortableRJGOLDIEDined on 6/24/2013We dined on a Monday evening and had most of the restaurant to ourselves. Was considerably pricey but food was tasty. There was nothing exceptional about our dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, Service, Ambiance - perfectIcemanVIPDined on 6/22/2013This was our 4th visit, not much more to tell than as good or better than before. Everything was perfect.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/20/2013My wife and I came here to celebrate our anniversary. It was a quiet night in the middle of the week, but the food was excellent. We started out with the mussels which would have been a fairly typical, but well-executed dish if not for the surprising addition of chili peppers to the broth. This turned out to be a welcome novelty. After that I had the rockfish and my wife had the scallops, both were delicious and very fresh. If we weren't moving out of town we'd certainly be back before too long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient parkingpragmaticgourmetVIPDined on 6/16/2013Father's day dinner: a 3-course menu; maybe our mistake, selecting from limited entrees instead of from the full menu. The butternut squash soup to start was excellent, and the salad that came after was good enough. The entrees took a bit too long to arrive, considering that they must have been prepared well in advance. The filet mignon was not a regular item on their menu, and though it looked good, the meat was a bit tough and didn't taste fresh. The crab cakes were a regular menu item, but they were so-so. (Aficionados of Maryland crab cakes will be disappointed by these.) The decor and ambience are nice. The service was the high point: easy-going but entirely professional waiters who were always attentive, never obtrusive.Special Features:
- Good food, poor serviceJPandLauraDined on 6/16/2013The good was outstanding for brunch but the staff was at first oppositional and defensive. The waiter later came by to apologize for the wait for receive our food, which was nice, but clearly a task for the manager. The wait was over an hour from ordering to presentation.
- Left me flat...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/16/2013We went on Fathers Day before noon for brunch and the restaurant was nearly empty. We still waited an extraordinarily long time to have our order taken and even longer for our food to be prepared. When our order finally came it was not correct. The server removed the incorrect items but it should not have happened. The ambience is very nice and the menu is interesting. The food was okay and the service poor. The promise and the delivery just didn't match up. For a restaurant that's been around for a while it's a surprise. If I were an Annapolis local I might try again, since I'm not it's a scratch off the list.
- Great ideas, but mediocreFoodiealertVIPDined on 6/15/2013Great ideas, but mediocre carry through. Sticky risotto and scallops that tasted just a little old. Very nice service.
- Going,going,goneDupedDined on 6/12/2013The dinner that didn't happen. Made reservation for that night but apparently the restaurant had gone out of business the week before.Quite embarrassing and very inconvenient to say the least.
- ClosedlocalVIPDined on 6/12/2013I rated all categories "poor" because we found the Wild Orchid was closed when we arrived for our reservation! We knew there was talk of them changing locations but didn't know when. There were several other parties there that had also made Open Table reservations and received confirmations. I wish the owner luck in the future endeavors but I strongly doubt we'll be part of it.
- Smashing!epeeguyDined on 6/8/2013The food at the Wild Orchid Café was exceptional, with a very good array of locally sourced food. The different main courses were all excellent and full of flavor, as fresh as one could hope for. The pairings for each dish were very good and tasty, with the right portion sizes to enjoy the food without overeating. The philosophy of the owner definitely showed in terms of how much food they purchase and use in order to serve the customers and otherwise contribute to a positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service; wonderful food!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/8/2013We were seated immediately and our server was very helpful with his first time guests throughout the meal. Each of our entrees was done to perfection - my first bison burger ever was very yummy. I enjoyed the house brewed tea as well. The venue has two rooms available for private group dining - but for no more than about 20 to 30 persons. Parking is a breeze - a parking garage is a part of the building housing the Cafe, and there is no charge! Enjoy that while it lasts! My wife and I will return and will bring others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old hands, new venue, good resultsEatnheimerVIPDined on 5/31/2013Free parking in a garage on site, very accessible. Office building vibe isn't ideal, but the restaurant decor is modern, open, and appealing. Staff was experienced. The menu and wine list had inviting options, not too many or too few. Wild Orchid does a very admirable job of delivering an appetizing, upscale experience without going overboard. It's a bit pricier than I'd go to every week, but the occasion needn't be terribly special to lure me in there again. I tend to deliver a lot of four-star reviews, but Wild Orchid is a cut above. For instance, we recently dined at West, which I'd put in the same class and happily return, but Wild Orchid gets the nod.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Birthday Lunchdinning4funDined on 5/25/2013Headed to Annspolis from Va for my BD... Been there done that in Annapolis looked on Internet for something different... Found this Gem.. Great atmosphere, excellent food and service .... Upper West Street near the Westin.. Quiet area on a Saturday and a nice walk down the hill to the water. Treated me to the most deelish creme brûlée for my BD. We'll be back for dinner. ,-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where is Everyone?OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/23/2013We were one of three tables on a Thursday night. It felt odd to be in the large restaurant with nobody else there. The music was a high energy bluesy classic rock theme, fast. Too fast for a leisurely dinner, especially since they had nobody waiting. But the food was good. Service was very professional.Special Features:
- Food and Service was fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/16/2013We took our kids here on a Wed. night . Everyone loved the food and our server was outstanding!! We all tried there signature butternut crab soup which was amazing. I ordered the scallops which I also thought were amazing. I would strongly recommend this place to friends and family!Special Features:
- Great SeafoodsharonDined on 5/16/2013We had the Rockfish dinner which was really excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twice in a weekDinnerCrewDined on 5/15/2013After having a great time Sunday for the Mother's Day Brunch I talked my weekly dining group into trying The Wild Orchid's regular dinner menu. We were not disappointed. Food was excellent. Our server was fun and knowledgeable but not overwhelming. All in all, for visiting a place twice in the same week I was very impressed both times. The Wild Orchid is now a staple in our dining rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected DelightGinaDined on 5/12/2013The food was great! The service was a little slow but I'll say it was worth the wait. Our waiter was way to chatty with the table near us which may have been the reason for the slowed service. I made a point of not engaging him in too much conversation so as not to delay our food any longer than necessary. All in all, a great experience and my Mom really enjoyed herself. One suggestion for the restaurant is for better signage directing patrons to the parking garage. It's a little confusing driving around that Circle trying to figure out where to park.Special Features:
- This was my 4th visit. DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/12/2013This was my 4th visit. Drinks were a problem (grapefruit martini was horrible after one sip; coke was flat). Server-Mike made all the difference, as he was quick to make changes to please and was always attentive. Crab cakes were good, lamb was tasty; salmon seemed a little bland (maybe more spices would help). The deserts (triple chocolate cheesecake, strawberry rhubarb pie) was a great top-off to the Mother's Day special. Service was key on this day. I always like the convenient, uncrowded location and free garage parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for Mother's Day andBlossomthymeDined on 5/12/2013We went for Mother's Day and the food was great. My mother totally enjoyed it. We all cleaned our plates. This is my third time. My sister particularly enjoyed the old jazz vocals (Billie Holiday, Etta James) playing softly in the background. Really enjoyable afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UNIMPRESSEDOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/12/2013My family and I went on Mother's Day. I viewed the website and did not notice any indication of any special menus scheduled for that day, but when we arrived we learned they were having brunch all day. The brunch was not buffet, but on a prefix menu. The food was bland and not filling. I actually left hungry. They also ran out of one of the desserts on the menu. I should have known that it probably wasn't the best place to eat since reservations were still available a fews days before on a day common for eating out.
- Very disappointingLongTimeCustomerDined on 5/12/2013We came for the Mother's Day brunch. They crammed extra tables in the dinning room such that you were eating elbow to elbow with strangers. The quality of the food was sub-par. The vegetable frittata had a very overcooked egg wrapped around dry vegetables. It was chewy and tasteless. The Eggs Chesapeake had little hollandaise sauce and virtually no crab, served atop rock hard English muffins. The seafood strudel was passable.The quality of the desserts pretty much followed suit. The lemon blueberry bread pudding was burnt and bland. The creme brulee was eggy, not like a custard The strawberry rhubarb pie could have used a little more sugar and perhaps some lemon zest to brighten the taste. Overall, a very disappointing experience.
- Good, but......TamiDined on 5/12/2013It was Mother's Day and it appeared they were either overwhelmed or short-handed. Our waiter acted as if he was always in a rush and then we had to wait to get our silverware.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day Brunch 2013OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/12/2013Special menu for brunch. The berry crepes were really good and the triple chocolate cheesecake was the table favorite. Our waiter was a little harried but apologized for lag times and other servers stopped with a smile to help out. Don't know that they usually do such a booming business for brunch as every wait person there seemed to be moving at top speed under duress. Would return again on a non-event sunny day to try dining outside under the trees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/12/2013Mother's Day brunch is always an iffy proposition, especially with a prix fixe menu. Wild Orchid managed not to rush us through the meal (as is often the case with such occasions), but there were other areas where they fell short. Our waitress was very friendly and helpful, but was sometimes hard to find--hard to explain, since the restaurant was only half-full. More important, the menu had more than one mistake on it, especially with the desserts. Not a bad choice, considering the likely options, but for $25 per adult, I'd like more consistency.
- Great PotentialSeeingTheGoodDined on 5/11/2013The restaurant has a great location and very nice atmosphere. Seems like it's struggling with management - getting people in, getting food out, that sort of thing. I know good food takes a while, it takes even longer here. Wait staff seemed frazled. The food is creative, wholesome, beautifully presented. The restaurant has great potential.Special Features:
- Good food - where is our server?ChristinaDined on 5/11/2013My husband and I were meeting some friends for dinner, we got there a little early so they suggested we have a drink at the bar. The bar top was a little messy, with straw wrappers and used napkins. I got a glass of wine which was fine, my Husband got a cocktail which he said was a little watery. We were seated, and at least 15 minutes went by without our friends getting a drink or even our water glasses being filled. The server came by finally, but then had to go find a drink menu. Our beer and wine glasses were empty at several points and we had to track down the server to get a new drink. We were planning to get a whole meal but decided after the appetizers we couldn't wait much longer.
- Great spot for pre- or post-performJanHoffDined on 5/11/2013Great spot for pre- or post-performance dinner - it's an easy walk to/from Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.